Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and Cons on K&N air filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pros and Cons on K&N air filter

I was reading earlier on the forum here that the K&N filter for the 3rd gen. TL could cause some problems and ruin your engine it the long run. Does anyone know of such facts or do you suggest using the stock filter instead or a short ram?
Ideas and help on this would be great.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it doesn't do anything to the engine

all it actually does is collect more dirt than the stock one
Old 12-19-2006, 07:54 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I had a K&N in my 00TL and have one in my 06. They work fine and don't void the warranty. The key is to clean and re-oil at an appropriate interval (the K&N website indicates 50,000 miles, which is likely too long). In that time the oil would likely dry out and the cotton element would likely not filter as well.

The benefits are:
1)better filtration and airflow with cotton gauze/ oil

2)no need to buy more filters- just clean and re-oil

3)possible increase in performance and mpg (although in the stock airbox, the gains would likely be small)

The cons:
1)cleaning / re-oiling

2)cost
Old 12-20-2006, 01:10 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Had them on all my cars - never had a problem with them. I was threatened once by a fellow member for using one, can't figure out why.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Cruisin'

K&N Not All It's Cracked Up To Be

I'm sure this will receive a lot of negative responses....But don't shoot the messenger. I'm simply trying to provide some factual information from a credible source. I'm not an automotive engineer and neither are many of you. Please follow this link to read for yourself the outcomes of an unbiased air filter test involving the 3 common filter types (foam, paper, fiber) in two areas: 1.) Air Flow and 2.) Filtration.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

I think you'll see that the K&N, while not bad, is mostly hype.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Racer

I, too, have had them on both cars I've owned and they work flawlessly. It also saves you the trouble of buying a new filter every time you have to change your air filter. Trade off is that you have to clean and reoil them, which I do not mind doing.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As an engineer for an aerospace company, I can tell you that THE reason why k&n usually gives a little bit of power boost is because the holes/spacing between filter fibers is larger. This allows more air to easily pass through the element. Of course, more small dirt particles pass through the filter and into the engine.

Oil has nothing to do with it. It's a simple matter of the filter having larger holes giving you more air flow but allowing more particles in.

You COULD just not have any air filter. That would give you a huge HP boost but of course your engine won't last very long.

The power increase from using a K&N is not deniable. What is in dispute is exactly how much extra dirt is allowed into the engine and whether or not that dirt could cause any long-term damage. I have not seen any studies on the effects of long-term k&n use on an engine.

Before anyone shoots their mouth off at me, ACTUALLY READ the link posted earlier. That is, unless you are affraid about what it has to say?
Old 12-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by EnvisionTL
I, too, have had them on both cars I've owned and they work flawlessly. It also saves you the trouble of buying a new filter every time you have to change your air filter. Trade off is that you have to clean and reoil them, which I do not mind doing.
Truly, I'm not trying to pick on anyone, but how have you measured that they've worked "flawlessly"? Is it that they're dirty when you clean them, or that your car has run well with the K&N filter? Both of those points are true, but could also be said for any air filter. Unless you've tested what's passing through the filter you have no idea what makes it into your engine.

The point (and fact) is that as previously posted K&N filters DO allow more to air to pass through which can lead to small increases in engine performance. I'm not disputing that. However, with the increased air that passes through are also small particles of dust, dirt, even sand. IMHO it's not worth a (maybe) 2-3 horsepower gain to get all that junk in your engine. Running a high quality synthetic oil will net as much hp gain and protect your engine better then using a K&N air filter.

OK, now fire away everyone....I wouldn't dish it out if I couldn't take it.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:21 PM
I've been Canonized ;)

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I would Husker, but I'm just not feeling it right now
Old 12-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Instructor

guys its very simple

K&N will allow more dirt into the engine, but nothing where it will make the check engine light go off.

if it were to harm the engine, K&N would be out of business.

not only that, the average amount of time we all keep our cars today is roughly 5 years, and that is pretty darn long.

so 3 years of use with a K&N filter (which i have done) is perfectly fine for the engine. I never noticed any HP gains, and even though it did put a gain, 2-3 hp gain is not noticeable by any man.

not even a CAI hp gains are noticed by an avg person, the avg person just hears the roar of the intake and with human nature we presume that there is a gain in hp.

K&N is low maintenance, easy to clean, and cost effective.

plus it whistles, pretty nice sound.

sang
Old 12-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sangwl
guys its very simple

K&N will allow more dirt into the engine, but nothing where it will make the check engine light go off.

if it were to harm the engine, K&N would be out of business.

sang
First off let me clarify when I used the term "flawlessly". When I said this, I meant that the CAI performed exactly how a CAI should perform. My previous car, 97 Accord, was the prototype car for the Typhoon system out today.

If you are concerned about dirt passing through the intake and ending up in your engine, then consider sticking with the OEM paper filter. The test linked above still shows dirt going through, just not as much. Whether we like it or not, dirt will pass through and end up in the engine. If you are planning to keep your car for 20+ yrs, then maybe you should rethink the CAI route.

Originally Posted by Desert_TL
Running a high quality synthetic oil will net as much hp gain and protect your engine better then using a K&N air filter.
That is true, but for those of us with the CAI installed, we get both performance gains from synthetic and CAI. (not trying to say that it balances the effects out so no flames needed there)

And to OP, IMO just get the CAI. You wont regret it, I haven't.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:32 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I wonder how much more dirt gets into the engine with CAI's than stock intakes.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by rbf351
it doesn't do anything to the engine

all it actually does is collect more dirt than the stock one
K&N will allow more air to pass, but it also passes more dirt than paper filters do. There have been a few tests lately on the net by independent labs that show the K&N passing more dirt than other filters. I would just recommend staying with a good paper filter for now.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by EnvisionTL
First off let me clarify when I used the term "flawlessly". When I said this, I meant that the CAI performed exactly how a CAI should perform. My previous car, 97 Accord, was the prototype car for the Typhoon system out today.

If you are concerned about dirt passing through the intake and ending up in your engine, then consider sticking with the OEM paper filter. The test linked above still shows dirt going through, just not as much. Whether we like it or not, dirt will pass through and end up in the engine. If you are planning to keep your car for 20+ yrs, then maybe you should rethink the CAI route.

That is true, but for those of us with the CAI installed, we get both performance gains from synthetic and CAI. (not trying to say that it balances the effects out so no flames needed there)

And to OP, IMO just get the CAI. You wont regret it, I haven't.
Oh and I forgot to tell OP this, but if you are considering a short ram... The K&N Typhoon can be converted into a short ram by taking the extension off. I am pretty sure other brands have similar setups (correct me if I am wrong).
Old 12-21-2006, 12:11 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I had a drop-in K&N in my '01 TL for 5 years (80K miles). Never really noticed a performance increase. Noticed a little more growl and slightly better gas mileage. TO be honest though, I replaced that filter when the car only had about a 1000 miles on it so the improved mileage could also have been attributed to the car breaking in.

Never had any issues, but I have heard of Mass Airflow sensors going bad on cars due to oil accumulation dues to people using too much oil after cleaning.