Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People really have no respect

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
People really have no respect

So yesterday I parked my car in a normal size space to go get some food. I come back, and the person I was parked next to dinged my door. Now I have a pretty noticeable dent on the side of it. WTF I hate driving this around college when no one can respect other people property. Anyone know of over the counter kits to get this out?
Old 03-07-2009, 01:54 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Yep, I have about 6 dings on my car. Parking lot damage, not a lot you can do about it except try to park away from other cars and expect to take a walk through the parking lot. Good excerise.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure what the dent looks like, but maybe you can go to a body shop that does paintless dent repair. A local glass repair shop advertises it around here. I think they use suction to help take out the dent.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:10 PM
07 TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yes i have a pretty noticeable size dent by a truck on my rear passenger door. i plan to get it out any way possible. i need to see if it can be pulled out by suction cup but if it is too small of a dent it wont work well
Old 03-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Advanced

That sucks.
You might want to ask a local dealer who they use.
A couple of times I was at a dealer and I had seen a guy working out of his car fixing little dings on cars in the lot.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Call a few high end body shops, and ask for PDR references. (paintless dent repair)

Try to find out who they use. Also try not to go through the shop, they might be excessively marking up the PDR cost/price.

I always try to park far away, and take a long walk.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
BILLY MAY FTMFW!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JGXbIfeuRY
Old 03-07-2009, 03:48 PM
These colors don't run

^^^ grr that's what I was looking for haha.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on parking far away. I usually park in the spaces next to the hatch marks so I can get some buffer room.

If you are going to be in college for awhile, I'd suggest not fixing your dents just yet. Chances are, you'll be collecting a few more before you're done with school.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:12 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Those paintless dent repair guys usually charge like $75 for like 2 small dents or so. try contacting the dealer to see who they use. I think there's a guy up here in nyc and the name in either "Dent Doctor" or "Dent Wizard" I know he drives a dark blue Scion xb. I see him all the time in Yonkers and Queens usually by the Honda/Acura dealerships next time I see him I'll get some info for you. He also has a web addy I'll try to get it.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Newb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My brother's AM got dings all over his car, people even key'ed his headlights >_>
Old 03-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
PDR FTW!!!

Everything Billy Mays sells works!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by lucnex
So yesterday I parked my car in a normal size space to go get some food. I come back, and the person I was parked next to dinged my door. Now I have a pretty noticeable dent on the side of it. WTF I hate driving this around college when no one can respect other people property. Anyone know of over the counter kits to get this out?
I'm sure you have heard of Defensive Driving. As people have pointed out you need to also practice defensive parking. Here's what I do:

1. chose a space next to a handicap space on the passenger side (reasoning: these spots are rarely used in my area plus the spaces are wide enough that car using that spot will not ding the passenger side of the car.

2. choose an end spot with the curb on the passenger side - cheat to the right as much as possible

3. choose and end spot with the curb on the driver's side- cheat to the left as much as possible

4. park next to two (nice) cars already parked (reasoning: if it's a quick stop you will likely return to your car before the other people do. If the other people beat you at least they have nice cars too and probably don't want to scratch their own cars). Avoid minivans, station wagons, suvs, and commercial vehicles at all costs!

options:

a. park in a spot with a curb or partition to your front. While I don't have any side dings after 2.5 years, I do have some minor front scratches from morons that park there vehicles too deep into their spaces.

b. remove all shopping carts near your car- especially carts either uphill or upwind of your car.

My family finds it amusing parking with me- my daughter has now caught on to the spots that Daddy likes and finds them for me sometimes.

Last edited by LaCostaRacer; 03-07-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:19 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Yep, we're all just a great big bunch of Rodney Dangerfields.

RIP Rodney..........
Old 03-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Back for the first time

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
I'm sure you have heard of Defensive Driving. As people have pointed out you need to also practice defensive parking. Here's what I do:

1. chose a space next to a handicap space on the passenger side (reasoning: these spots are rarely used in my area plus the spaces are wide enough that car using that spot will not ding the passenger side of the car.

2. choose an end spot with the curb on the passenger side - cheat to the right as much as possible

3. choose and end spot with the curb on the driver's side- cheat to the left as much as possible

4. park next to two (nice) cars already parked (reasoning: if it's a quick stop you will likely return to your car before the other people do. If the other people beat you at least they have nice cars too and probably don't want to scratch their own cars). Avoid minivans, station wagons, suvs, and commercial vehicles at all costs!

options:

a. park in a spot with a curb or partition to your front. While I don't have any side dings after 2.5 years, I do have some minor front scratches from morons that park there vehicles too deep into their spaces.

b. remove all shopping carts near your car- especially carts either uphill or upwind of your car.

My family finds it amusing parking with me- my daughter has now caught on to the spots that Daddy likes and finds them for me sometimes.
all great ideas i thought i was the only one who used these tactics. even though last week i still managed to get a ding on my passenger side door.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
I do opinion 4 alot. Part next to BMW and lexus. I can't believe freaken college students have such nice cars.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:09 PM

yea well....a gift for my scholarship to school. If it makes it any better I didn't get a new....it did have 9000 Miles on it...haha. The only problem is reading these forums is killing me...I want to do so much but I need to save my money. O well, thanks to this march madness special just dropped 1000. This summer might bankrupt me...
Old 03-07-2009, 10:48 PM
DuDeChEwY

options:

or do what i do take up two spots
Old 03-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
^ that's just being a dick and giving people a reason to ding your cars.

best bet is park away from most people. you've got the highest percentage of not getting dinged there.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ding king is a pos. It turns your dent into a volcano shape _/\/\_ because it pulls up around the ding, and then it costs more to have that fixed.

Just go to paintless dent repair.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:35 AM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
Originally Posted by snake134
. That shit is so fake. I do PDR work and that dent he put on the hood will "NEVER" come out good with the glue gun kit.

If it did, I'd buy everyone here one of those kit.

Shit will only work on less than 1% of the dents out there.

Plus if u have a scratch on the dent or the panel has been repainted. There is an extremely high chance that it will pull the paint off of it to.

Just get it done the right way. PDR it!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:30 AM
3rd Gear

dents and dings arent much

My car has bullet holes in the truck and side panel. Luckily i had some touch-up and steel wool to help conceal it and bondo a couple days later. I live in athens, Ga and trust me, i get these assbags all the time that like to leave a dent but no info. Damn commies... have you found an easy way to get the dents and dings out?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Banned

bullets holes WTF.....
Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Instructor

When someone does this to my car, it usually results in a swift kick to their car door. This crap just pisses me off. I do practice defensive parking but on occasion, you are forced to park near these jerkoffs.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dudechewy
or do what i do take up two spots
Originally Posted by AMAN1
best bet is park away from most people. you've got the highest percentage of not getting dinged there.
i do a combo of both of these..park really far away and take up 2 spots. no dings yet *knock on wood*
Old 03-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Safety Car

wow.....again id slice that SOB's tires all the way around... my 75$ ding repair is gonna cost em 1000 in tires....if they have no respect i dont either....how can u possibly own a car you like or love....whatever it is and throw the door into someone elses car? thats total ignorance from the person and total disrespect.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

options:

^ lol...I thought that I was the only one! My wife always wears comfortable shoes when we take my car because she knows she's in for a bit of a hike!

Unfortunately though, it will happen sooner or later. The PDR method is a great solution...had it done on a previous car, couldn't tell where the dent was when they were done with it!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Safety Car

who has a hook up for PDR in NY guys??????
Old 03-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

options:

Great ideas and I use them all. However, because minivan doors SLIDE instead of open out, they are not necessarily bad to park next to if you don't have another choice. Hopefully the driver is more careful than the kids!
Old 03-10-2009, 12:35 PM
B-MAC

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Depending on the size of the dent, you might be able to just pick up some dry ice at a store and pick a hot day or use a blow dryer on the dent and slap the dry ice on there. The temperature difference will cause the dent to pop right out. Little trick i learned in my college chemistry class. Knew it would come in handy one day!!! I used it when someone up and smacked my door just because his jealous self had a FORD!!! I waited for a bit but I think he was too scared to face me. Either way it worked and didnt take off the paint.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:44 PM
B-MAC

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's a video I found that shows that it works... They used a compressed air can that they turned upside down to create liquid CO2. Either way it might be worth a shot!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItSWESEVOUA
Old 03-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Advanced

Watch the wind

options:

Also if you must park next to other cars and it's a windy day, park facing into the wind. Often times doors of courteous drivers/passengers are caught and thrown wide open by the wind.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Advanced

paintless dent repair

Those paintless dent repair guys are very good based on my experience with a door ding on a previous car in Colorado. They removed the door panel and gently worked the dent back out with a special tool. Gone!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:45 PM
10th Gear

yeah.. my gf always laughs at me when i park in a corner spot.. i will almost always look for one of those.. i feel it lessens the chance by 50% lol
Old 03-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
a good site for parking lot strategies...

http://www.parkingbydesign.com/
Old 03-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Intermediate

i always try to park next to expensive cars or car's that are worth more then mines in good condition...
Old 03-15-2009, 10:47 AM
5th Gear

I just had a few dings taken out at the dealer. They have someone available one day a week who does paintless dent repairs for $60 a panel. Not too bad and it looks great.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by kixo
a good site for parking lot strategies...

http://www.parkingbydesign.com/
That's a great site! Show's the tips with pictures of technique, infractions and everything else. I have to say the slight imperfections to my car have all been caused by the 'vertical' alignment of my car or cars adjoining mine. I have a handful of small blemishes in the front bumper from cars kissing my front bumper or my kids messing with my bump stop in our garage and my garage door coming down on the rear bumper- arg! I'm now more hesitant doing parallel street parking than I once was and now look for spots with some safety for the front.

It's the big-ass quad cab pickup trying to fit in the space with a vertical infraction that has nailed my car of recent past.

Fight the good fight! It can be depressing washing the car and noticing a new blemish but that's life I guess.

Last edited by LaCostaRacer; 03-16-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
The only useful and non-time consuming tips I have (All I can think of now from experience):

*Park on people's passenger side (least amount of chances they'll ding your car)

*Avoid SUVs (mostly because of kids opening the doors hard)

*2 Door cars have longer doors, so they will damage your car easily

*Avoid Parking next to *most* WOMEN (IM NOT JOKING)(IF you know that car is being driven by a woman. If no other option, then park on thier passenger side. I wrote most because I know very few of them are a little careful)
Most of my customers blame women for the dents and damages done to their cars.

*Do park next to any cars teenagers mostly drive (such as Civic, RSX, 325, Corolla, sentras, c-class)

*Always park in a way that IF some one opens their door on you, they hit you on your doors or the front fender, not the quarter panel.
(Dents come out easy on doors and front fenders than they do on quarter panels)

*Putting Mouldings on YOUR door DOESN'T really helps YOU avoid dents on your car.

If I remember more later, i'll add them.

Last edited by nspec_ya4; 03-17-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:00 AM

if kids are driving around in 325's and c-classes I would hope they take the same care of their cars as I do mine!

Quick Reply: People really have no respect