Sponsored by:

one year review tl vs m35x

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one year review tl vs m35x

Happy thanksgiving to all.
I just realized thats its been one year, since I picked my my infiniti m35x. To recap, I initially sold the tl to a friend when I purchased the infinit. (infiniti salesperson), and have since purchased it back, and it was giving to my brother as a gift, and our cars are parked side by side in the garage.
I have the unique opportunity of driving and seeing both cars on a daily basis. The tl is a 2005, with auto and navi.
First, the short review of the m35x. And to tell you the truth, this review will seem like a lot of long term test reviews you see in magaines.
The m35x, continues to be my everyday driver/commuter. My toyota sequoi which I love, has become sad and neglected. But I told it, that the harsh Mr. Winter will seen be here, and I will be counting on you to pull me through once again. LOL
The m35x, has been a great tool for me. I look at cars as tools. It starts up, and securely delivers me to wherever I want to go. If I drive it slowly and purposefully, it bathes me in comfort and solidity. If I want to push it, it is happy also, and will make tracks and take the turns with upmost confidence. The brakes and handling are sublime.
The most important thing, is my isolation from the road(Protecting my war injured back) but at the same time, letting me feel the road precisely through the steering wheel and my legs.
Oil change every three months, (plus regular maintenance), and no problems to or even concerns to report, other then the few minor problems on initial delivery which was handled promptly by dealer.
I still am not overjoyed at the outside styling of the car, and the car has not grown on me as far as looks. So I have given it the name of BERTHA. Bertha has been an excellent companion for me, as long as I dont look too hard at her, with all the lights in the room turned on. She prefers the aura of the night.

The TL. The Tl is in the possession of my brother. Now my brother is not as a meticulous person as I am, and he could be driving a car with four bad shocks, a blown tire, and bad rotors, and not realize something was wrong.
To him, the car is great and gets him going where hes going. He never pushes the car at all, the way I would sometimes.
My brother loves the car, more for the stereo then anything else. He a musician and really enjoys the stereo. Plus he finally loves having such a dependable car.
I have to keep up on the tl myself, and tell him to bring it in the shop, or I feel something and it needs to be checked out.
The tl continues to accrue mileage, with no additional problems other then the ones we had from day one. Mostly the brakes constantly vibrating, and the computer safety controls kicking in oh so early , all the time.
It doesnt bother my brother, but like I said it wouldnt.
The tl, continues not to burn any fluids, and actually since I only go in it about once a week to check it out, it still has a bit of new car smell after 1.5 years of ownership. I still think the cockpit of the tl, is the most smartly appointed of any vehicle. Its not gaudy, and everything is where its suppossed to be, with big dials for the important stuff. It simply looks great, great, great.
My brother is thinking of putting a ronjon kit on it. Hes saved the money, but hes wondering if he should get wheels first, or keep saving till he can get both at the same time. He doesnt like any of the ronjon wheels.
As far as the tight suspension, hes a strong kid, and it doesnt bother him. He did ask, if the tight suspension was normal, or was something broke, and I told him, thats the way tl,s are. Hes used to it.

All in all, two excellent cars, I wish the suspension wasnt as harsh, as I would still be in my tl, yet fate would have me in my m35x, which everytime I finish my shift after a hard day and its three in the morning, and turn on my m35x, and hear the engine purr(it is louder then the tl), and it bathes me in its warm dash glow, and I know it will smooth our all the potholes on the way home, I pat Bertha on the dashboard, and say bring me home baby, and then Ill make both of us some dinner.

Much regards Flatfoot
Old 11-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
So your brother really did buy it. Glad he's enjoying the TL. Sorry I didn't join you in the M35x camp, the RL was just too good a deal to pass up.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Good writeup .. I enjoyed it
Old 11-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you make love to your vehicles like i do?
Old 11-23-2006, 05:55 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrandonClaps
Do you make love to your vehicles like i do?
Old 11-23-2006, 06:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
So your brother really did buy it. Glad he's enjoying the TL. Sorry I didn't join you in the M35x camp, the RL was just too good a deal to pass up.

M35X has its pluses. Like you, the RL was a much better deal. Plus I could not get by the crappy audio system. Maybe crappy is too strong a word, but I expect better at that price range. That can be a deal breaker for me.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:39 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rl

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Hi Bob.
I have read your previous posts on becomming and RL owner, and have followed your writings on this.
It seems as if your really enjoying the RL. I had thought about this, as the RLs were being heavily discounted, and seemed almost like a steal. Especially on the first year models at the time, when the 06,s were coming out.
When I went to look at them around this time last year, I was almost getting begged to buy one. If my memory served me well, I could have picked one up for 39,500 if I purchased any of the six they had on the lot.
But, I thought it should have been a bit bigger in size to justify the purchase to me.
I cam oh so close to purchasing an audi a6, love the way it fit me ergomically, and loved the dash, however, for my tastes I didnt like the way it handled. I guess I was spoiled already by the tl.
I also looked at some certified used bmw, 5,s, and I really liked them, as well as a 7 that was priced right, but I was very concerned about the reliability factor with them, and I need an absolutely dependable vehicle. Plus I would not have the patience to sit through the learning curve with that joystick they use for everything. They showed it to me, and I said, you have to go all through that to do that, and while your driving? I said no thanks.
I dont have navi on the infiniti, because I couldnt afford it, and dont miss it, I hardly ever used it, as I have an excellent sense of direction.
I understand the navi on the rl has real time traffic sensing. How does that work, and is it usefull to you???

And to the person who asked if I make love to Bertha(my car), the answer is yes. Once a week to keep her happy. Shes a two bagger. I keep once bag over Bertha, and one Bag over my head, in case Berthas bag breaks. LOL

Bob, I hope you get much satisfaction with your rl. Do you think this is your last new car for a while, or do you think your will keep it for a while?

Much regards flatfoot
Old 11-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
The RL will hold me over for a few years. However, if Acura makes the 4G TL a compelling buy (e.g. AWD and more power ), I will definitely look at it.