3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it ok to turn on the headlight before starting the car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Is it ok to turn on the headlight before starting the car?

I was told this could shorten the life of ur HID ...but want to know if this info is true or not
Old 11-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
First, why would you want to do this?

And yes, I suspect that the life of the ballasts could be shortened due to the sudden drop then surge of electrical power when starting your engine. I would not do this if I were you because even if you had resistance filament lamps (halogen for example), because it makes no sense. You should also avoid flashing your headlamps during the day when you are not using them. The sudden on-off-on-off is not good for the ballasts (don't known about the igniters).

So why would you want to turn on your headlamps before starting your engine?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't your have auto on lights? I just start the car and they turn on if its dark out. Now if I could just get the engine to start from sitting in the drivers seat.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by JackSampson
Don't your have auto on lights? I just start the car and they turn on if its dark out. Now if I could just get the engine to start from sitting in the drivers seat.
Not our 04-06s =(
Old 11-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy

And yes, I suspect that the life of the ballasts could be shortened due to the sudden drop then surge of electrical power when starting your engine. I would not do this if I were you because even if you had resistance filament lamps (halogen for example), because it makes no sense. You should also avoid flashing your headlamps during the day when you are not using them. The sudden on-off-on-off is not good for the ballasts (don't known about the igniters).

So why would you want to turn on your headlamps before starting your engine?
I dont plan to...i was just curious.!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by spaceboy
I dont plan to...i was just curious.!!!
Got it. The reason I was somewhat incredulous about someone asking this is because I see people doing it once in a while. I know it is either due to them having been taught to do it or it is just habit. The thing is, people generally continue to do things someone has taught them without questioning whether or not it is right. Here is a prime example of this.

About two weeks ago, I was talking to one of my neighbors and our discussion was cut short because we heard a jeep about 30 yards away having a little trouble getting moving from a stop sign in our development. As it turned the corner we saw why. A father was teaching his young teenage son to drive his jeep which had a manual transmission. Now I guarantee that the father is going to have some no-so-wise-and-smart habits which he will impart to his son who, because he doesn't know any better and after it's his father, will continue with those bad habits thinking that is what you do. Such as holding the car on a hill with the clutch.

Most people learn like this and don't bother to look at things logically and mechanically and say to themselves, "This can't be right. Dad didn't know what he was doing". Same thing with headlamps, tire jacks, steering wheels, etc.

Last edited by SouthernBoy; 12-01-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I have an 06 Acura tl Ive had it for 3 years and and I always leave my headlights on. When I unlock the car they turn on and than I start my car and never had an issue. When I lock my car they shut off by themselves unless I press the lock button twice.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Having an '08, I leave mine in the Auto position. If I had an 04-06, I would most likely use them manually unless I parked in area that I would like illuminated after leaving the vehicle and when approaching. That being said, I don't see how it could hurt things, as using the Auto mode or the auto on/off, the lights come on with ignition engagement and or prior to ignition engagement. I would like to think that the cars wouldn't have a "feature" that would damage or shorten the life of a component like that.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
^...what he said.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:44 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Blooze
I would like to think that the cars wouldn't have a "feature" that would damage or shorten the life of a component like that.
Sometimes manufacturers side with customer convenience over car durability.

I havent tried this myself, but do our HIDs turn on if we "flash" our high beams (Headlights off)?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
^^^ yes they do which is the only thing I do not like about bi-xenon headlights. So say if for whatever reason you need to flash your high beams during the day its the HID's that flicker on. As everyone knows they take a few seconds to really get going so its kind of pointless, and probably putting stress on the HID components going on then off right away. I never need to flash my highs during the day, but im just saying.

Also, to answer the OP's question just as mentioned the 07+ TL's have auto headlights (im surprised to hear the older ones dont?!? thats weird)...So if the driver leaves the headlight switch in auto which I think most drivers do, at night the headlights do go on before the cars starts. I wouldnt worry about it too much as you never really hear about HID components failures much, and even if you did in the grand scheme of things replacing a ballast or bulb is soo minor compared to other serious car issues such as a tranny blowing or whatever.

So no, having your headlights on prior to starting your car is not an issue whatsoever. Most cars these days come from the factory doing that.

Hope this helps.

James
Old 12-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 784 Likes on 558 Posts
I leave mine on auto all the time. They turn on when I unlock the car and off when I lock it.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 PM
the overexplainer

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
^^^ yes they do which is the only thing I do not like about bi-xenon headlights. So say if for whatever reason you need to flash your high beams during the day its the HID's that flicker on. As everyone knows they take a few seconds to really get going so its kind of pointless, and probably putting stress on the HID components going on then off right away. I never need to flash my highs during the day, but im just saying.
Thanks for the information.

That feature is a prime example of Honda putting convenience first over durability. They shouldnt even allow that to happen. I know Cadillacs with their HIDs had disabled "flash to pass" due to HIDs. Some people complained about it, but got over it.

True, but sometimes flashing is better than obnoxiously honking during the day, like if you're at a 4 way stop and want to let the other guy go first. Honking would just piss them off, but I digress. They should program the car to flash the fogs if the headlights are off.

Last edited by ez12a; 12-01-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Originally Posted by mccollins23
I leave mine on auto all the time. They turn on when I unlock the car and off when I lock it.
Is this in the "auto" position or the "on" position? We have both an 07 MDX and 08 TLS and we leave both in the "auto" position. When we unlock the MDX with the keyfob while in the garage or somewhere dark enough the headlights come on. When we do the same with the TLS - the headlights do nothing.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
FWIW, my Pontiac has Projector HIDs. On that car, when I arm and disarm the alarm, the lights flash. Lights also flash when I use the FOB to pop the trunk open... Been doing this since I installed the projectors many moons ago... I have since logged 100,000 miles and never had to replace the ignitors, ballasts, or the bulbs... So I know people say flashing will reduce the life, but the lights on this car flashed at least 8 times every day for several years, and never had a problem. Only people I know (at least within the conversion community) that had problems, were those that had cheap chinese ballasts. Mine have German bulbs and Japanese ballasts and ignitors.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
I tested the "flash feature" on my car soon after I got it. I felt that the response time was fine ... didn't notice any real difference between it and regular bulbs.

Man, I would love to drive where you do if you don't have a need for this feature
Old 12-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ez12a
Thanks for the information.

That feature is a prime example of Honda putting convenience first over durability. They shouldnt even allow that to happen. I know Cadillacs with their HIDs had disabled "flash to pass" due to HIDs. Some people complained about it, but got over it.
I still remember reading a C&D review of the CTS and their complaints that GM still hadn't figured out how to integrate "flash to pass" feature on the Caddy HID's. I thought that they had started using it a couple of years ago ... Sure never thought of them "disabling" it.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy

I don't see the benefit. I also guess I'm the only one that doesn't use auto.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:25 AM
the overexplainer

Originally Posted by Blooze
I still remember reading a C&D review of the CTS and their complaints that GM still hadn't figured out how to integrate "flash to pass" feature on the Caddy HID's. I thought that they had started using it a couple of years ago ... Sure never thought of them "disabling" it.
maybe that was it was. I read something along the lines of that.

While flash to pass doesnt outright break our HIDs, it surely isnt good for long term durability.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts
Every mechanic I know has told me the same thing: Doing so throws a surge thru the electrical system of the vehicle and is not good for the headlights & battery. I've never did it & won't. Just my opinion.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 500 Likes on 278 Posts
I personally don't think an auto headlight feature should exist. If you can't see it's dark or raining and don't turn on your headlamps, lose your license 6 months and maybe you'll pay attention next time.

Anyways, my parents leave their cars on auto all the time, so everytime they pull in he garage the lights kick in for a minute, same when they start it up and pull out of the garage. Cars are about 4-5 years old with 50k+ miles and no ballast problems. That said I still would never leave my lights on auto
Old 12-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My TL is an 04 so no auto. But on my BMW I only use auto in the winter when it is already dark all the time. It does bother me though that the lights come on in the garage before the car is started. That can't be good in the long run.