Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak...has it happened to you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Kelnshe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Leak...has it happened to you?

I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that my TL has a small oil spot underneath it in my garage. It is on the driver's side, near the front wheel. I have about 5800 miles on it, and my MID went from 30% (which was where it was at about 5500 miles) to <15% in a matter of two weeks. Now I'm getting a message that it's time for the A1 service. When I scheduled my oil change, I was told that they've seen a few TLs like this, and that the techs know how to fix it. Has this happened to anyone out there? TIA!
Old 06-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by kelnshe
I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that my TL has a small oil spot underneath it in my garage. It is on the driver's side, near the front wheel. I have about 5800 miles on it, and my MID went from 30% (which was where it was at about 5500 miles) to <15% in a matter of two weeks. Now I'm getting a message that it's time for the A1 service. When I scheduled my oil change, I was told that they've seen a few TLs like this, and that the techs know how to fix it. Has this happened to anyone out there? TIA!
I need to log off - I can't take any more bad news. :'(
Old 06-30-2004, 12:48 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you please post what and how they fixed it? Would like to know the reason for this.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Advanced

Did you try to look underneath to see where the fluid may be leaking from? It can be either motor oil, transmission oil, or shock absorber oil.

With my TL I started to notice small drips of oil in the area of the rear left wheel well in my garage at about the sime time as you did (around 5500-6000 miles) and it was pretty apparent that it was the shock absorber that was leaking.

The flatspotting/vibrating Bridgestone EL42s do wonders to the shock absorbers (as well as to the rest of TL suspension, I assume :sqnteek: )

The dealer replaced under the warranty (the leaking shock, not the intermittently vibrating tires). I'm throwing the tires out myself at the end of summer and getting myself either Michelins or Falkens.

Either way, I'm at 11000 miles now. No further leaks at this point, although the intermittent tire vibration continues off and on.

Cheers,
/tallrussian

Old 06-30-2004, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura issued a service bulletin on Mar 26 - No. 111303 regarding oil leaks. You might want to check with your dealer.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:59 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bluenose
Acura issued a service bulletin on Mar 26 - No. 111303 regarding oil leaks. You might want to check with your dealer.
more info on that plz?
Old 06-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Canadian TSB may be different to US...
Old 07-01-2004, 07:58 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr.../tsbsearch.cfm for further info
Old 07-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Kelnshe

UPDATE - I just came back from getting my oil changed, and was told that it wasn't an oil leak. It was the "seal that connects the rack hose to the rack that was leaking fluid", per the technician. They cleaned the area, but they may end up replacing the rack. They had not seen this before on the TL :shit: , so they had been on the phone with their tech support. I have another appointment in two weeks to have it replaced. As much as I like my TL, I've been to the shop more times in 5 months than I did in 4 years with my ES300. I'm not getting annoyed, just disappointed more than anything. Oh well, it's only a 3 year lease, so I can unloaded it with a minimum of headache if it becomes a real pain. Maybe they'll get it right in 2007...
Old 07-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Instructor

I parked at my Brothers house yesterday and after leaving he said he notice two oil drops on the driveway. I haven't noticed anything in my garage so not sure if it was a one time deal as his driveway is on a slope.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:17 PM
5th Gear

I had the same problem. I had the same leak from the rack. They had to replace 2 racks on my car to fix the issue. It also took them three tries. They replaced the power steering pump once and that did nothing. I am also suing acura to declare the car a Lemon since I am in Nj and it ook them more than 3 tries to fix the problem. Good luck. My car was in the shop a good month. When they first replaced the steering rack the steering started pulsating on turns. Hope you dont go thru what I did.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Kelnshe

UPDATE - So far so good. After three weeks, I haven't seen any leakage, and I haven't noticed any steering pulsation. I do hear a slight ticking at times when I turn the wheel. I am monitoring the situation, so I will keep you all posted if it becomes an issue again.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPDATE - So far so good. After three weeks, I haven't seen any leakage, and I haven't noticed any steering pulsation. I do hear a slight ticking at times when I turn the wheel. I am monitoring the situation, so I will keep you all posted if it becomes an issue again.
I have the slight ticking on occasion too. It happens more so when there is movement of the suspension as when you are going over uneven pavement at city speeds. I usually only hear the clicks when I am driving close to other cars or walls where I can hear the sound reflect back into my ears. I will have my dealer look into it at my first oil change. I don't believe it's the shocks since they have more of a "whishing" sound under compression and rebound. Please keep us updated.

dsc888
Old 09-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Kelnshe

UPDATE: She's back in the shop again. About two weeks or so after I got it back, I started hearing noise coming from the power steering area. It sounds similar to the way a GM car sounds when the power steering fluid gets too low and the steering wheel is turned, only not as loud. In addition, I also hear a slight rattling in the same general area when I roll over uneven pavement, as if there is something metallic loose underneath. No leakage of anything, however.

When I took it in for service. The technician immediately heard the noise, as well as the metallic rattling. They are checking to see if it is related to the rack/power steering pump replacement, or if it is totally new. I'm not getting ticked yet, as they gave me a TL (with crappy Bridgestones) to drive while I wait for my car. This is starting to get old, particularly for a 7 month-old car. I might start getting my Lemon Law ammo in order after this...
Old 09-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
bah this is not good news
Old 09-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sameerqure
I had the same problem. I had the same leak from the rack. They had to replace 2 racks on my car to fix the issue. It also took them three tries. They replaced the power steering pump once and that did nothing. I am also suing acura to declare the car a Lemon since I am in Nj and it ook them more than 3 tries to fix the problem. Good luck. My car was in the shop a good month. When they first replaced the steering rack the steering started pulsating on turns. Hope you dont go thru what I did.
is your car fixed now? i doubt you will win in a lawsuit. it sounds like they fixed your car twice for a leak and once for a defective part for a pulsation. i could see if you had a leak that was not repaired after three attempts but that does not seem the case.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Racer

UPDATE: She's back in the shop again. About two weeks or so after I got it back, I started hearing noise coming from the power steering area. It sounds similar to the way a GM car sounds when the power steering fluid gets too low and the steering wheel is turned, only not as loud. In addition, I also hear a slight rattling in the same general area when I roll over uneven pavement, as if there is something metallic loose underneath. No leakage of anything, however.

When I took it in for service. The technician immediately heard the noise, as well as the metallic rattling. They are checking to see if it is related to the rack/power steering pump replacement, or if it is totally new. I'm not getting ticked yet, as they gave me a TL (with crappy Bridgestones) to drive while I wait for my car. This is starting to get old, particularly for a 7 month-old car. I might start getting my Lemon Law ammo in order after this...
they have to attempt to repair the same problem 3 times. since there is no leaks this would probably be considered a new problem and this is the first attempt repair. good luck with and remember act like a dick to the dealer they will probably treat you like one. try to be patient with them and let them fix it.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:25 AM
Kelnshe

nick04TL - You are absolutely correct, as far as dealer treatment is concerned. I didn't expect much from my dealer (Acura of Dayton) when I first got the car, but so far they've been really good. They've let me know what's been happening every step of the way, and always had a loaner car (a TL) available for me. When and if they get this resolved, I'd probably buy from them again. As long as they show me that they're not going to give me the runaround, I'm a patient guy. I almost expected this, since this is the first model year of the new generation of a car. I normally don't buy a car under those conditions, but I liked the car so much (as well as needed one as well), I didn't think it was an issue, given its Honda roots.

As far as the problem is concerned, they are not sure yet if this is related to the power steering/rack issue yet, so it actually could be the same problem again. They are supposed to call me this morning to give me an update. In the meantime, I have a WDP 04 TL to sport until I get mine back. I never looked at a white car before, but I have to admit, with the parchment interior it looks sweet!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:20 AM
05 6MT NBP TL

I believe I am leaking oil on my 05. In the garage I noticed a small puddle close to the driver side front wheel. I looked under and see a couple drops of oil but can't see where it's coming from. not leaking much oil and not life threatening... but it got me worried

This thread is quite old... just wondering if anyone else had that problem.

Any help appreciated !