3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offical 2004-2006 Switchblade key continued.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:27 PM
-Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is only for TL?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by yungwunn911
this is only for TL?
So far, I have to get the milling shop to get me the key. The milling shop is still working on JnC's key and designing the program carefully as they don't want to mess up a batch of keys and have to pay almost 5K for them...
Old 08-11-2008, 07:30 AM
[PA] NBP-TL

Originally Posted by csmeance
UPDATE- Keys will be here monday, CNC shop is being very careful with JnC's key and is taking their time to make sure that each cut is perfect for the program with which all the others will be made.

So on monday all the keys will be milled? is that what your saying?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clavodulce16
So on monday all the keys will be milled? is that what your saying?
On Monday, he will get the keys. He only has JnC's to work with right now. The other 70 are on their way. I do believe though that he said previously it would only take a couple of days to mill them all though.

Which leads me to this thought as well....

CS - We all owe you a million thanks for stepping up to the plate and taking this project on for us enthusiasts that actually feel the need to have a modded key. But to the rest of us - lets maybe help the guy out and post if needed or helpful? This thread is going to get crazy again with everyone posting "I can't wait". I know... we all can't wait. But this is the second thread he's had to open because the other got so congested it was hard to read.

I dunno - do as you please, this is just my
Old 08-11-2008, 10:54 AM
邵樂百

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ Agreed GLowrdr....patience is a virtue. Let the man do his work and be thankful that he was willing to step up to the plate and help us all out.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:54 PM
2nd Gear

csmeance, is this deal now closed to new participants? I just acquired a 2006 TL over the weekend which came with only one, very beaten-up key. Since I need to pay to get a second key cut & programmed, figured I may go the whole hog and go for the switchblade.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
^ i believe this first batch is closed, but if m enough people want in on this again he will start up a new batch... but you'd have to wait a while
Old 08-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Intermediate

csmeance, got couple questions for you:
1. Is that milled key 100% fit TSX?
2. If so, can I order one from your website right now? Hope it's not too late. . .

Cheers
Old 08-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Senior Moderator

it is too late to buy a key as of now. If I can scrape enough money together, I will try to buy a few extra keys and get them milled and try to sell them in between group buys. I have gotten the keys and spent the entire day taking them apart. FLBUSA was right, stripping the screws are pretty easy, but I managed to only kill one screw...
Old 08-12-2008, 01:33 AM
Racer

it is too late to buy a key as of now. If I can scrape enough money together, I will try to buy a few extra keys and get them milled and try to sell them in between group buys. I have gotten the keys and spent the entire day taking them apart. FLBUSA was right, stripping the screws are pretty easy, but I managed to only kill one screw...
Why did you take them apart?
Old 08-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mishar
Why did you take them apart?

You don't want to mill the key with the plastic "fob" on it still. It's just the metal blade that goes into the machine. These machines' bits are liquid cooled, and everything get blasted with water while its drilled/CNC'ed/milled.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
You don't want to mill the key with the plastic "fob" on it still. It's just the metal blade that goes into the machine. These machines' bits are liquid cooled, and everything get blasted with water while its drilled/CNC'ed/milled.
Keys are made of bronze that doesn’t require liquid cooling.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:53 PM
No Limitz!

WOW... good luck, take your time! If i was in the area, I wouldn't mind helping take a apart.....
Old 08-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Senior Moderator

I posting this now tired as hell with only 8 housrs of sleep running me for two days, so excuse any spelling or grammer.

I got the test key (JnC's) today and tested it in the shop. It was a bit rough so the shop refinished the edges and it became smooth. Then I went to a B and B hardware locally and tried them to cut the key against my switchblade for my car and it would not line up. I drove 20 miles back home, got the orignal key (seperate fob and key) and drove back only to hear the same thing.
Thinking that the hardware store was incompetent, I went to my trusted locksmith 5 miles north to AHC lock. They cut the key 3 different times (slowly) since it didn't line up and they got it to work, but it does not work flawlessly in the lock. I spent 2 hours with the locksmith measuring the orignal key with a micrometer/capiler. I took the measurements down and went to the shop and then spent another hour re-measuring 3 keys, my switchblade, my orignal and the milled key (JnC's) with the shop owner and manager. As it turns out, the key was cut .0035 inches to thin on each side, and that was causing the tumblers not to engage flawlessly. I bought another blank for JnC and am having them test on that blank. I should have the next test piece by 4 or 5 PM est.

Sorry for the delay guys, for those who needed the keys ASAP, please PM me.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator

I posting this now tired as hell with only 8 housrs of sleep running me for two days, so excuse any spelling or grammer.

I got the test key (JnC's) today and tested it in the shop. It was a bit rough so the shop refinished the edges and it became smooth. Then I went to a B and B hardware locally and tried them to cut the key against my switchblade for my car and it would not line up. I drove 20 miles back home, got the orignal key (seperate fob and key) and drove back only to hear the same thing.
Thinking that the hardware store was incompetent, I went to my trusted locksmith 5 miles north to AHC lock. They cut the key 3 different times (slowly) since it didn't line up and they got it to work, but it does not work flawlessly in the lock. I spent 2 hours with the locksmith measuring the orignal key with a micrometer/capiler. I took the measurements down and went to the shop and then spent another hour re-measuring 3 keys, my switchblade, my orignal and the milled key (JnC's) with the shop owner and manager. As it turns out, the key was cut .0035 inches to thin on each side, and that was causing the tumblers not to engage flawlessly. I bought another blank for JnC and am having them test on that blank. I should have the next test piece by 4 or 5 PM est.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Cruisin'

good things take time

holy moly man - this is becoming such a headache.

proops to ya for not giving up
Old 08-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
thanks for all you're doing... and making sure everything is working perfectly ^10
Old 08-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by imj0257
thanks for all you're doing... and making sure everything is working perfectly ^10
well its my job, you guys paid for a working product, not one you have to jiggle in the keyslot to made work...
Old 08-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Thanks again for all the work, time, and money you're putting in for us dude. Your efforts are very much appreciated!

Big to you sir.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:00 PM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks AJ!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:35 PM
邵樂百

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Damn dude......

Geez AJ...that sounds like a real PITA. Speaking for myself, as much as I want the SB, I'm not in any big rush. Don't pull your hair out or do the sleep deprivation thing...you're already going way above and beyond for us and I hope you're not burning it at both ends. My existing key works just fine for now and I look forward to getting the SB at your convenience. Thanks again man
Old 08-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Damn sounds like a big hassle to get these keys working right. Just take your time man, I rather have a working key, than have a miscut one. Of course I can't speak for others because I have 2 working keys at the moment and not in a rush to get it.

Maybe it will be good to keep those cut measurements or post them somewhere just in case you decide to move on like flbusa and a future aziner decides to take on this task. :wink:
Old 08-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by firstacuratl
Geez AJ...that sounds like a real PITA. Speaking for myself, as much as I want the SB, I'm not in any big rush. Don't pull your hair out or do the sleep deprivation thing...you're already going way above and beyond for us and I hope you're not burning it at both ends. My existing key works just fine for now and I look forward to getting the SB at your convenience. Thanks again man
I'm not being deprived of sleep due to this, I had a project to finish up for work and well I was up until 4 in the morning on monday and then slept for 3 hours and then went to work. Then I was awake until 3 in the morning today and slept for about 4 hours and then encounted two accidents on the way to work. I was late by 20 minutes and I probably took off 1000 miles worth of tread off my tires not to be even more late. I got to work and got chewed up by my boss for having crinkled pages on the report because all the work was shifting around in the back of the TL. The keys were not that bad, they just made me drive accross town a few times.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:17 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
dude, you never got permission to sell these keys, what exactly are you doing?
Old 08-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

please do not PM astro about the keys, I'm am talking to astro.