Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob to modding/tuning. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Noob to modding/tuning. HELP!

What's up guys..just recently purchased my 2007 type s AT in arctic blue and desperately want to modify it! I know nothing about modding for performance or looks I've been scouring through the threads and really need some advice. The first thing I want to do is lower the car and get better suspension. I had a 05 tsx prior to this one and when I put on after market wheels and tires it seemed like it didn't ride as smooth. I found what wheels and tires I want..
http://www.wheelsnext.com/default.cf...=Black%20Gloss

After that I'd like to get the front grill painted all black also paint the calipers? I Probly won't be able to do it myself either which will cost even more.
Any suggestions? And what do you guys think of the wheels? Any input on what I should do for it that's worked out for you guys will be helpful..I'm looking for performance parts as well as cosmetic! Thanks in advance
Old 06-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
welcome to the site, instead of painting you should try plastic dip since they are not permanent because if you don't like it you can remove them later, for the caliper you can use high temp paint to spray them. I don't feel too much about the wheels but as long as you like it then I would say its a go.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The wheels you picked aren't a bad start. Hope you are going to choose the 19x8 or 19x9.5 at least. Changing any suspension part on a car especially bigger wheels, the car will never ride the same as stock, but with the right combo you can get it so what close. Since you are going to lower this car I would suggest coilovers. Go with either ISC N1's or Tein Street Advance as both offer pretty nice ride comfort. As far as painting the grill look into Plasti Dip. It is a rubberized coating that can simply be peeled off it you don't like it and it doesn't harm the paint. To paint the calipers, it will be a little bit of work, but you can surely do it yourself. There is a thread somewhere on here on how to paint the Brembos the Type S comes with. Also take a look through some progress threads in the photo gallery as well as one of the stickied threads in the Tires/Wheels section. There are quite a few pages of what rims people a rolling with as well as their specs. I can't really give the best advice as far as performance for the car as I have not researched it much myself, but most people will do a lot of exhaust work such as a J pipe, pre cat deletes, and catback to squeeze out some more ponies. Just take your time, read the information people have supplied on here and always remember to search. Happy modding!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:26 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Did you mean kinetic blue pearl? The Type-S didn't come in arctic blue.

I'm not a fan of those wheels. Very tacky IMO.
The following users liked this post:
Mrtastygoody (06-12-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by The Machine
Welcome to the forum!

The wheels you picked aren't a bad start. Hope you are going to choose the 19x8 or 19x9.5 at least. Changing any suspension part on a car especially bigger wheels, the car will never ride the same as stock, but with the right combo you can get it so what close. Since you are going to lower this car I would suggest coilovers. Go with either ISC N1's or Tein Street Advance as both offer pretty nice ride comfort. As far as painting the grill look into Plasti Dip. It is a rubberized coating that can simply be peeled off it you don't like it and it doesn't harm the paint. To paint the calipers, it will be a little bit of work, but you can surely do it yourself. There is a thread somewhere on here on how to paint the Brembos the Type S comes with. Also take a look through some progress threads in the photo gallery as well as one of the stickied threads in the Tires/Wheels section. There are quite a few pages of what rims people a rolling with as well as their specs. I can't really give the best advice as far as performance for the car as I have not researched it much myself, but most people will do a lot of exhaust work such as a J pipe, pre cat deletes, and catback to squeeze out some more ponies. Just take your time, read the information people have supplied on here and always remember to search. Happy modding!
Thank you for your answer! Come to think of it if I lowered the car 20's def wouldn't work out you're right. As far as calipers go..would I just use the stock calipers or buy different ones? I just hope the suspension doesn't effect me that much. My tsx was a very bumpy ride which is too bad cause I didn't really want to put wheels on my TL now. I will do the calipers first then add the coilovers. I will post before and after pics as well, thank you! Any other modding advice please let me know!

Originally Posted by ebelp
Did you mean kinetic blue pearl? The Type-S didn't come in arctic blue.

I'm not a fan of those wheels. Very tacky IMO.
Yes, sorry I meant kinetic blue..dang, I thought these wheels would look good. Any suggestions on black wheels? I looked on
Wheelsnext.com and those are the only ones I kind of liked.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 08-12-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
20's! oh no!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:13 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a helpful thread on plasti dip: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/plasti-dip-painted-grill-804442/

It's probably the easiest mod you can do. Just remember to put 5 coats on and wait 10-15 minutes between coats.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SomeWh1teGuy
Here's a helpful thread on plasti dip: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804442

It's probably the easiest mod you can do. Just remember to put 5 coats on and wait 10-15 minutes between coats.
Thank you! I will keep that in mind when painting them, thanks!

Haha I'm not putting 20's on them, I was stupid for saying that especially since I wanted to lower car.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
I was looking at TSW a while back and shyed away because even with a +30 offset you would still need to run spacers to clear brembo brakes.
For the price look at ron jon wheels and some others.

If you can put fear aside, working on your own car is not that bad. Common tools, patience, research and trial and error is how we all started.

Good luck with the new ride.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sauceja
I was looking at TSW a while back and shyed away because even with a +30 offset you would still need to run spacers to clear brembo brakes.
For the price look at ron jon wheels and some others.

If you can put fear aside, working on your own car is not that bad. Common tools, patience, research and trial and error is how we all started.

Good luck with the new ride.
I guess what I'm realizing is tsw wheels arent very good quality. I also wanted to use spacers for the wheels too and by hearing that I'm def going to rule those out then, thanks. I will def take a look at Ron Jon though..anything under the hood that anyone can recommend?
Old 06-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
Originally Posted by Davidsternmustdie
Thank you for your answer! Come to think of it if I lowered the car 20's def wouldn't work out you're right. As far as calipers go..would I just use the stock calipers or buy different ones? I just hope the suspension doesn't effect me that much. My tsx was a very bumpy ride which is too bad cause I didn't really want to put wheels on my TL now. I will do the calipers first then add the coilovers. I will post before and after pics as well, thank you! Any other modding advice please let me know!
Yeah 20's are a no no for the most part on this forum. Some have pulled it off and made it look nice, but it highly depends on the style of rim. 95% that put 20's on their car fail epically. You will keep your stock calipers. Why would you want to change the factory Brembo front caliper, unless you were upgrading to a huge big brake kit? All that needs to be done is some sanding and prepping and they are ready for paint. I recommend G2 Caliper Paint. Very durable stuff and it looks great! What was your TSX lowered with? If it was just springs and you didn't go with an aftermarket better shock to go with it, most likely that is why you had such a terrible stiff ride. You have to go with coilovers that have damping adjustment. (Damping means you can change the ride quality to soft or firm, if you were unsure what it was). I am more familiar with turbo cars for performance mods. Building a N/A motor really isn't my forte and I'm not really aware of the aftermarket performance products available for these cars besides exhaust components. They do make a turbo kit, but it's pretty expensive and the then you need to swap out the ECU or have it fined tuned which really isn't readily available either.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

I haven't really heard of TSW being poor quality. Just that they don't fit our Brembo's.

There is a "these wheels fit brembo's" thread in wheels forum you may wanna check out those before making a purchase.

I will sell you my raven black with machined face ronjon Legends 18x8 +32 with oem TPMS 235/40/18 Conti DW.

I am looking at an oem wheel in 19x8 that I want to pursue.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sauceja
I haven't really heard of TSW being poor quality. Just that they don't fit our Brembo's.

There is a "these wheels fit brembo's" thread in wheels forum you may wanna check out those before making a purchase.

I will sell you my raven black with machined face ronjon Legends 18x8 +32 with oem TPMS 235/40/18 Conti DW.

I am looking at an oem wheel in 19x8 that I want to pursue.
Can you send me pics of those? Brandon.walsh112@hotmail.com
Old 06-12-2012, 03:38 AM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Just cleaned today.

If you WANT to use spacers then the TSW may not be a bad choice. At least not for manufacturer. Depends which style.

You need to find a theme or way to go on modding. I found alot of cool ideas just by wandering around through here for a while. Get an idea and search it. Some can be cheap/free with some of your labor. Others can be spending and require tool and machine access.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 08-12-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Advanced

How much do you want for them?
Old 07-08-2012, 02:19 PM
2004 TL SSM w/NAVI

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
do not buy wheels from wheels next they will take 2 months to get there, FYI those wheels aren't bad if you like them then get em just gotta run spacers. but 20's are a no get some 19's
Old 07-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
welcome to the site, instead of painting you should try plastic dip since they are not permanent because if you don't like it you can remove them later, for the caliper you can use high temp paint to spray them. I don't feel too much about the wheels but as long as you like it then I would say its a go.
How well does plastidip hold up to washes?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:26 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
OP, congrats on the car, but you need to slow way down with the modding for a second.

You need to have an overall look for the car that you want and from there you buy parts. Don't buy individual parts and expect them to flow well on the car when installed.

I'm not trying to be a dick, rather just trying to save your some time and money. Impulse buying isn't the way to mod a car.

And since you posted them, those wheels are
Old 07-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner
How well does plastidip hold up to washes?

I lightly brush and spray the area with water and its still looks
Old 08-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Advanced

You're def right about not rushing into Anyrhjng..I've been doing my research the last couple weeks and this is what ive been leaning towards..any suggestions or comments I'm open to anything in general..it would really help me!
K&N KN 69-0021TB Cold Air Intake Kit 69 Series Typhoon

Acura TL 07 08 2007 2008 Type S Hood Molding Front Bumper
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140799009294?redirect=mobile

H&R Street Performance Coilovers Acura TL Type S 6cyl 07-08

H&R sway bars

Really want these wheels..but don't think I'll be able to..cost issue..if anyone has these they want to sell let me know haha.
https://www.wheelstudio.com/view-whe...ll/vehicle-all

These are the wheels I'm leaning towards as the tsw's were no good with this car
https://www.wheelstudio.com/view-whe...ll/vehicle-all

I was going to do 19" wheels too in case anyone was wondering what size I was going with

And for exhaust I saw these worked best..

RV6 V3 Long Tube J-pipe & HFPC Combo vs the xlr8 j-pipe? Any suggestions which to go with..?

And lastly vis carbon fiber hood
http://www.andysautosport.com/acura/...ds/vis_racing/

Let me know what you guys think/suggestions
Old 08-11-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
the carbon fiber hood proves useless as our hood is pretty light by itself.
Unless you just want the carbon fiber look.

the jpipe vendor debate.....
Go with ever one that strikes your fancy!
both will gain throughout the power band.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
the carbon fiber hood proves useless as our hood is pretty light by itself.
Unless you just want the carbon fiber look.

the jpipe vendor debate.....
Go with ever one that strikes your fancy!
both will gain throughout the power band.
What do you think about the coils and intake?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:41 PM

Don't buy that intake; I have it and it's WAY too loud and obnoxious. I hate it.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Don't buy that intake; I have it and it's WAY too loud and obnoxious. I hate it.
Which one would you recommend?
Old 08-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
I bought the the DC sport intake and the V3 j-pipe. The performance is noticeable and coupled with a mid-muffler delete, the sound is awesome.
The intake sound also compliments the exhaust nicely.

I just purchased some tein s.techs, I'll let you know how those fare out.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:28 AM
Advanced

well cross out that intake and replace it with the weapon-r neo-ti finish along with CT Engineering Acura 2007-2008 TL-S Cat-Back Exhaust
Old 08-12-2012, 09:34 AM

I would look into the AEM V2 intake. A lot of members have it.

As for exhaust, Comptech only made one exhaust for the TL IIRC; it was designed for the 04-06 Base. It has a single circular exhaust tip, pretty bland and understated for the amount you're paying.

Look at the ATLP Quad Exhaust or the XLR8 Exhaust since both were designed exclusively for the TL-S.

Go to heeltoeauto.com to look at other parts for the car. Remember not to rush into anything!
Old 08-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure you think hard before modding, and I hope you are handy/have good people to do it. I modded my E36 BMW a lot (coilovers, bumpers, rims etc. etc.) - never rode the same afterwards, it was very harsh, although it looked nice.

just my 0.02 cents. especially with a nice factory car like the TL-S
Old 08-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bahasad
Make sure you think hard before modding, and I hope you are handy/have good people to do it. I modded my E36 BMW a lot (coilovers, bumpers, rims etc. etc.) - never rode the same afterwards, it was very harsh, although it looked nice.

just my 0.02 cents. especially with a nice factory car like the TL-S
that's the only problem I'm running into when buying.. I don't have anyone to install any of it.. anyone know who does installs around seattle, wa area? even surrounding areas I'd be worth the drive to go somewhere to get these installed.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Intake: modify ur stock box
I will be selling my type s shocks with h&r sport springs soon pretty cheap.
I really like my progress rear sway bar did it same time as springs.

I have rv6 j pipe and try dual exhaust and love it. I left my stock cats on and it has a nice grumble when u let off gas pedal.

Led interior lights, led DRL, HID fog lights, send headlights to AckTL05 or jnc, plastidip, kp technologies window roll up module, there are tons of mods u can do that 1 at a time are inexpensive.

I did intake box while had bumper off for fogs and drl mods saved time.
I am keeping rims as of now. I decided to get coils instead if different rims.

Good luck to you, try to have a plan and only buy shit once. Otherwise it is frusterating and expensive, buy some tools and a manual and do ur own work. It is way more rewarding in the end.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by Davidsternmustdie
that's the only problem I'm running into when buying.. I don't have anyone to install any of it.. anyone know who does installs around seattle, wa area? even surrounding areas I'd be worth the drive to go somewhere to get these installed.
alot of it you can just do it yourself its not really that difficult. however, it depends what you are trying to install and your level of mechanicalism