Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New TL Owner - questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TL Owner - questions

Just bought my TL last night and during the contract negotiations the salesperson said that they don't give out loan cars unless the service is for something under warranty. So basically if I brought in my car for something like a 30K service, I don't get a loan car. Is this the same as what you guys have at your dealerships as well?

Anybody get a free oil change offer good for 3 months from date of purchase? Just wondering if this is something standard at all Acura dealers as part of the overall deal...

Also, anyone take their offer for the shock-sensitive alarm and/or LoJack? Are these things useless and overpriced?
Old 11-25-2004, 10:40 AM
Racer

I think just about everyone gets the free oil change on here. As far as loaners go, its up to the dealership, my dealership gives a TL or TSX loaner if your car is going to be in for ANYTHING over two hours. I needed one for an appointment one day when it was in for a oil change and and to check a couple of things out and they let me have one. I am very lucky though, not alldealerships provide such great service as far as the loaners are concerned.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:41 AM
Suzuka Master

I owned two TL's and ALWAYS got a loaner car. If I brought it in for one new windshield wiper blade, I was in a loaner for the day.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:44 AM
GOLDEN NUGGET

loaner

i get one for anything over 2 hours. my first oil change was free. but some people get free oil for the life of their car. it depends on the dealer.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

What kind of tires did you all get on your TL's? When I was walking around the lot last night picking out my car, I noticed that some TL's have Michelin tires, while some have Bridgestone tires. Anyone know why there are different tires? Which one is better, or does it not matter? The car I picked had Michelin tires on it.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I don't know about any free oil changes at my dealer because there is absolutely NO way I would even consider having my oil changed by anyone but me. Even if the dealer offered to pay me $50 to do an oil change, he could pay someone else.. not me.

As for any warranty work.. I cringe at the thought of taking my car back for anything at all.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgerblue
What kind of tires did you all get on your TL's? When I was walking around the lot last night picking out my car, I noticed that some TL's have Michelin tires, while some have Bridgestone tires. Anyone know why there are different tires? Which one is better, or does it not matter? The car I picked had Michelin tires on it.
Wise choice! The Bridgestones are a poor tire. Many, many threads and posts regarding horror stories about this tire. On 05s, the Michelins are on the navi models, BS all others.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the feedback on this. I guess I'll stick with my Michelins given what Repecat said above.

I'm going in to pick up my car later today - was at the dealership late last night doing all the paperwork, and they had to detail it and inspect it this morning before final delivery - hopefully this wasn't a screw up on my part as I realized this morning that I probably should have gone for a test drive first before signing the paperwork and paying.

When I go in today, should I negotiate with them to provide me a loaner car for any service over 2 hours, or is that too late now? :-(
Old 11-25-2004, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Only have had to take car in one time so far. I got a TSX loaner. They asked when I was making the appointment if I needed one.
I have taken other cars in for other reasons in the past and always got one. You normally have to request one an schedule the date to get it thoug. At least I have anyway.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:00 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgerblue
Thanks for all the feedback on this. I guess I'll stick with my Michelins given what Repecat said above.

I'm going in to pick up my car later today - was at the dealership late last night doing all the paperwork, and they had to detail it and inspect it this morning before final delivery - hopefully this wasn't a screw up on my part as I realized this morning that I probably should have gone for a test drive first before signing the paperwork and paying.

When I go in today, should I negotiate with them to provide me a loaner car for any service over 2 hours, or is that too late now? :-(
I would suggest that by all means you take an extensive test drive before completing the deal. Spend some time on the forum if possible. Some people have had trouble from day one with squeeks and rattles but it may have been only 04's. You gave up some leverage but if the dealership is any good they will want you to be happy. I just got mine Tuesday night, test drove and it's silent, tracks straight and is overall OUTSTANDING.

Good luck, let us know the rest of the specs, Happy Thanksgiving.

Mike
Old 11-25-2004, 03:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MR1
I would suggest that by all means you take an extensive test drive before completing the deal. Spend some time on the forum if possible. Some people have had trouble from day one with squeeks and rattles but it may have been only 04's. You gave up some leverage but if the dealership is any good they will want you to be happy. I just got mine Tuesday night, test drove and it's silent, tracks straight and is overall OUTSTANDING.

Good luck, let us know the rest of the specs, Happy Thanksgiving.

Mike
Good point. I spent several months on here checking out the scene before I took the plunge. Glad I did. Upon delivery of the car I went over it with a fine tooth comb and knew exactly what to look for and found several issues. Even though it was at night and raining.
I also test drove one over a weekend to get a good feel for it first.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Acura Dealer Technician

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the dealer offers loaner cars every acura owner is entitled to a loaner car when an appointment is made, and i mean everyone even someone with a 86 integra.
Now keep in mind that a lot of people want loaner cars so to get one you may have to wait until some loaner cars are available for you to bring your car in, but if you follow the rules you will get one.
They also keep a couple cars on hand for emergency problem cars that may be towed in and such.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:38 PM
Racer

Actually, check your warranty. The loaner car is part of the warranty service.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My dealer gives me a loaner anytime I request it. My sense is it that it depends on who your dealer is. Many people like their dealer's service dept., but some complain about them- for good reasons.

greg
Old 11-25-2004, 11:48 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by gregory28_RENAMED
My dealer gives me a loaner anytime I request it. My sense is it that it depends on who your dealer is. Many people like their dealer's service dept., but some complain about them- for good reasons.

greg

Which is the Service Manager & General Manager.

Mike
Old 11-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TLC program states that a loaner car can be obtained for any service visit, be it a warranty repair or 'COD' repair. I honored a request for a loaner for anyone who asked, for any visit other than an oil change. I only had one or two customers who insisted on a loaner for oil changes, even though I explained we had a 30 minute guarantee and would likely be done before the loaner car left the lot.

By the way-the TLC program also states that the complimentary loaner car program ends when the warranty expires,and that participation after that was at the dealer's discretion. We spent $50,000 a month on alternate transportation, wether it be lease payments on loaner Acuras or rental bills from a local Enterprise.

Surely you can see this a very large expense. And this would explain why we charged for the alternate transportation once the vehicle warranty expired.

bluenote-ex Acura Service Manager