Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Problem: AM/FM Presets Lost Suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Problem: AM/FM Presets Lost Suddenly

I got in my car today and my AM presets had all defaulted to one particular pre-set station, and my FM2 presets all defaulted to one particular pre-sete station. FM1, XM1 & XM2 remained unchanged. Anyone else seen this happen?
Old 01-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Re: New Problem: AM/FM Presets Lost Suddenly

Originally posted by acuraddict
I got in my car today and my AM presets had all defaulted to one particular pre-set station, and my FM2 presets all defaulted to one particular pre-sete station. FM1, XM1 & XM2 remained unchanged. Anyone else seen this happen?
Oh my goodness. I would either sell the car or sue.
Have everyone call Acura and complain.
Don't stand for this from a $35,000 car!!!!!!

Eneg
Old 01-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: New Problem: AM/FM Presets Lost Suddenly

Did you ever accidentally press the search button to search for the nearby channels again? It would temporarily store those channels until you cancel that search feature, then your pre-set channels should be back.

Would this be the reason?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: New Problem: AM/FM Presets Lost Suddenly

Originally posted by rets
Did you ever accidentally press the search button to search for the nearby channels again?
Good point rets, but no its not that. The presets had all been set to the same station this morning. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: New Problem: AM/FM Presets Lost Suddenly

Originally posted by eneg
Oh my goodness. I would either sell the car or sue.
Have everyone call Acura and complain.
Don't stand for this from a $35,000 car!!!!!!

Eneg
Eneg (or should I call you Gene?), your reply was about as backwards as your screen name. I don't know for certain what you were trying to say, but I'm just trying to find out if this has happened to anyone else. I suppose you think I'm out of line for posting this minor problem?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:28 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Acuradict, no I have not.

Did have the HVAC setings go a little strange as reported before, 3 times, the drivers side went to full lo, and pass side went to full high, with dual lit up.

when I left the car, it was set at 70, non-dual, wife did not drive it, nor even use a remote on it, once was home, other two times were not.

These are the little glitches I expect with an early build car that is this hi-tech. (there are four local area networks in the car that I can tell from the svc manual, one at 33.33kbps and one at 500kbps, the others are to talk to a few misc components). There is a lot of hand shaking going on between components with the gauge module as the interface between the two LANS and a multiplexer in there for good measure.

Even the headlights, door locks and wipers operate via the LAN.

Wow,
Old 01-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Burning Brakes

need4spd, that's really interesting. So do you think its likely that these little glitches will sooner-than-later get addressed in the form of service bulletins? Your heater thing and my memory thing, and the memory seat thing, etc?

thanks,

M
Old 01-06-2004, 11:27 PM
an Acura has-been

Acuradict,

I think these are the hard ones for acura, and it is hard to reproduce, when I talked to one of the corp techs last month, he said to report EVERTHING to the dealer, they are reviewing the svc records and need to know what is up.

Even if the dealer can not find it, corp can track if more that one owner reports the issue.

Eventually they will reprogram the system, based on what I have seen in the manual, they should be able to do software updates to various systems.

My friends first year 7 series went in and they said they reprogramed 4 computers with new versions of software since BMW found that many systems did not comunicate to each other properly. (that is not why it was in, it was only in for an oil service.

I think the same will be true on our cars, about 9-12 months from now, we will get new software, maybe some hardware.

There are about 6 or 7 systems that have their own diagnostics, including the gauge cluster (all the gauges go full scale and back a few times and check other inputs), bluetooth, HVAC (you can even see exact coolant temp in the diag), radio, navi, etc.

And in the TL, if several items expect to see a certian signal (say a door lock code) and one system does not, it will send a failure code. There are back ups of certian basic systems, like head lights and wipers.

For the 04 TL (not TSX) the dealers had to buy a new diagnostics computer that is touch screen and about 6k each, the old systems no longer work with the TL.

I do not know if this is this level of complexity in the Accord, but it is in the TL.

There was an article some time back, about the complexity of systems in cars, and an 04 TL product manager was quoted that some glitches are expected as the complexity of the car increases.

Sorry for the long wind, but yes, I think they will do updates as time passes, just like BMW and other complex cars.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:33 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: New Problem: AM/FM Presets Lost Suddenly

Eneg (or should I call you Gene?), your reply was about as backwards as your screen name. I don't know for certain what you were trying to say, but I'm just trying to find out if this has happened to anyone else. I suppose you think I'm out of line for posting this minor problem?
Out of line? Nope.
Ridiculous? Yep!

On my trip down here, I lost my temperature gauge for about an hour. When I was able to shut the car off and start it up again, it returned.
Was that worth a new thread, or even a mention on the forum?
Who cares? Things like this happen.

Now, when you post a note stating that you will have the answers to some serious problems and then you don't deliver, your credibility takes a nose dive. Wouldn't you agree??

ENEG
Old 01-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You probably pressed the button to select the nearest station s buy mistake ( I can't Remember its name right now). If you press it again your orignal station presets will return!
Old 01-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by need4spd

There was an article some time back, about the complexity of systems in cars, and an 04 TL product manager was quoted that some glitches are expected as the complexity of the car increases.

Sorry for the long wind, but yes, I think they will do updates as time passes, just like BMW and other complex cars.
No need to apologize. That was a really interesting post. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2004, 09:58 AM
an Acura has-been

No need to apologize. That was a really interesting post. Thanks!
Glad it was helpful.

Everyone should report any glitches they see to help acura with any software issues as the Acura Corp Tech said we should do (they are tracking them - not sure how long, but they are).
Old 01-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Problem: AM/FM Presets Lost Suddenly

Out of line? Nope.
Ridiculous? Yep!

On my trip down here, I lost my temperature gauge for about an hour. When I was able to shut the car off and start it up again, it returned.
Was that worth a new thread, or even a mention on the forum? yes, that's one of the main values of this site
Who cares? lots of people as evidenced by the number of people reading these threads Things like this happen.

Now, when you post a note stating that you will have the answers to some serious problems and then you don't deliver, your credibility takes a nose dive. Wouldn't you agree?? No, I don't agree. I have not received definitive answers from Acura as quickly as they indicated I would. If this cost me credibility in your eyes, so be it.

ENEG
Old 01-07-2004, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Problem: AM/FM Presets Lost Suddenly

Out of line? Nope.
Ridiculous? Yep!

Was that worth a new thread, or even a mention on the forum? yes, that's one of the main values of this site
Who cares? lots of people as evidenced by the number of people reading these threads Things like this happen.
It's petty!
If you keep complaining about crap like this to your dealer, you won't be taken seriously. They're not going to pay a mechanic to babysit problems which are not important. Especially intermittent problems that can't be shown to them!

Now, when you post a note stating that you will have the answers to some serious problems and then you don't deliver, your credibility takes a nose dive. Wouldn't you agree?? No, I don't agree. I have not received definitive answers from Acura as quickly as they indicated I would. If this cost me credibility in your eyes, so be it.

ENEG
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You came on here like you had some inside info.
Couldn't reveal your sources type of thing.
(I thought that maybe you knew Deep Throat!)
Told everyone not to buy new tires and not to worry about vibrations, etc. because you were told by high sources that everything would be taken care of.
Then it all fizzled away, didn't it?
You were getting new tires, but that was being done specifically for you if I remember correctly.
So, I have to believe that you don't know what you are talking about, which brings me back to what I said about "credibility."
Please tell me where I am wrong. . .

ENEG
Old 01-07-2004, 08:50 PM
an Acura has-been

Things may change at acura in the comming weeks, remember, Acura shuts down for 2 weeks (nice job) for the holidays, so nothing has happened from Dec 17 to Jan 5.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:36 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Problem: AM/FM Presets Lost Suddenly

Out of line? Nope.
Ridiculous? Yep!

your credibility takes a nose dive. Wouldn't you agree??

ENEG
I normally don't agree with posters such as Eneg, but I will agree with him on this point.

Acuraadict, u know who Eneg reminds me of...well you early on. U were the biggest Acura cheerleader. Then suddenly, u start to have issues, and what do u do, you do the exact same thing you would flame others for doing.

Everyone has the right to change camps (so to speak), but along the way don't flame others just b/c you weren't effected by those "minor" problems. I can respect someone for flaming others for posting negative comments about the TL...everyone has the right to their opinion, but don't turn around just b/c now it's effecting you.

You know, when I had my 2nd generation TL, I had relatively no problems, and yes I considered myself very pro Acura, but I never flamed others for voicing their complaints. I realize that just b/c I have had good customer experience to date and a relatively problem free car, doesn't necessarily mean that others may have.

Also, just because u say that u have inside info from Acura stating a resolution is coming, you believed everyone should just stop posting about the vibration problems. Yes u did post that everyone should stop complaining...Acura is working on it.

U know what, I don't know u from a fly on the wall. I could also post that I know the CEO of Acura, and he personally assurred me a solution is on the way. Meaningless!
Old 01-08-2004, 01:29 AM
Burning Brakes

I give up. Its pointless to keep going back and forth. consult is the new sheriff of Acura land.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Instructor

I give up. Its pointless to keep going back and forth. consult is the new sheriff of Acura land.
That's "Mr. Sheriff" to you, buddy.

Just kidding

I'm probably being alittle critical...I guess partly b/c of my frustration with Acura. Who told you to begin your board name with Acura anyways!

It's the flip flopping I've experienced w/ Acura reps. My dealer replaced parts of my tranny, then Acura claimed since the engine has 270 hp, it will vibrate. huh??? Then they claimed my car had no unusual vibrations. Next they claimed it was the sporty character of the TL. Finally after meeting with them, and driving the car, they finally layed down the old "normal characteristic" garbage.

If they give me the "normal characteristic" line one more time, I may have to shove my boots into his mouth, and claim...oops, this is a "normal characteristics" of these boots.

Peace!
Old 01-08-2004, 12:24 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by need4spd
Things may change at acura in the comming weeks, remember, Acura shuts down for 2 weeks (nice job) for the holidays, so nothing has happened from Dec 17 to Jan 5.
Speaking of the tires situation, my service advisor at Oakland Acura (Daryl Chan) told me that while he has heard nothing directly from the factory as of yet, he hinted that they will probably do something about it since a lot of people have mentioned it.

He also mentioned his disdain for the online forums because of the self-fulfilling prophecy problem. He said he had a few customers come in saying that their friend's cars had flatspotting or some other problem and naturally assumed that theirs had it to, when it didn't.

We'll see.