Sponsored by:

neuronbob's six month update

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
neuronbob's six month update

I LOVE THIS CAR.

I picked up my TL on 3 October 2003. It's hard to believe it's been six months already. For my prior perspectives, here are my prior updates:

TLs are in Cleveland!

One week update

One month update

Three month update

Up to date? Good. I want to keep up my reports to give newbs (and regulars, for that matter) an idea of what they face in terms of reliability.

I have never reset my trip computer. The current numbers are

7764 miles
Average MPG: 21
Average MPH: 33
Total hours: 232:45 (9 days, sixteen hours, 45 minutes of sheer bliss)

I scraped the passenger side front bumper a week ago. $262 and 48 hours later, it was fixed. I rented a V6 Grand Am from the dealership for the day. The engine was loud and unrefined, the handling terrible, and the interior plasticky/tacky. I was VERY glad to get my TL back at the end of the day.

The driver's side window has started to squeak intermittently while descending. It's not constant, but I'll have it looked at the next time I'm at the dealer.

Squeaking glovebox was fixed at the first oil change a few weeks ago. Now the car is quiet as a tomb.

The EL42s are holding up. I have noticed minor vibration on cold mornings for the first few minutes. No big deal, but they are still gonna go, but they perform competenly--they did get me through the winter, after all.

No headliner issues. The leather butt-print issue brought up earlier is a non-issue. They are minor and have not progressed--I guess they do it so the seat fits your butt?

I've been on one long trip since I bought the car, and I found it a true highway cruiser. It's very comfortable for long trips, and the ride is perfect as is for that purpose. I've learned to deal with the slightly loose steering and can handle the car more than adequately. It will do better with better tires.

Other than the above issues, the car is typical Honda-reliable. I spend less time at the dealer than I did in the 2002. At this point in my ownership of the 2002 TL-P, I'd already had the center console and sunroof repaired, and later had the brake rotors resurfaced.

I still smile when I step on the accelerator, and the handling is still way better than in my 2002 TL. I am not sorry I upgraded so soon.

Current mods: None
Potential mods:

1. Tires. This will almost certainly be my first mod. I am unsure when this will happen because I am reasonably satisfied with the EL42s, so I'm trying to get mileage out of them before I upgrade. We'll see...

2. Suspension. I'm also satisfied with the handling but think I can do better. I want the suspension upgrade for PERFORMANCE ONLY, not looks. I was originally planning on Comptech springs, but I want to do the upgrade right--I'd like to do the struts too, and there aren't any ready yet for the 2004 TL. In reality, though, I want Acura's solution, the A-spec solution, WITHOUT the body kit. So this is a "maybe" upgrade for me.

3. "Clearbra"-type solution. I'm planning on ArmorGard, as they have install facilities here in the Cleveland area.

4. Tint. Not important for me, will be one of the last upgrades.

5. Engine mods. Definitely not interested. 270 hp to the front wheels is QUITE enough for me.

Did I say, I LOVE THIS CAR? I did? OK, I said it again.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
5. Engine mods. Definitely not interested. 270 hp to the front wheels is QUITE enough for me.
Not even an intake? C'mon.

Just to report: My headliner finally gave out. The wind coming in from the open sunroof blew it open. I was able to put it back but now I'm afraid to open the sunroof. Do dealers merely put in more double-sided tape or are they doing something more substantial?
Old 04-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Racer

I drove my TL to Cleveland just last week, I wish I'd PM'd you in advance.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TLover
Not even an intake? C'mon.
Not even an intake. I upgraded from a TL-Premium (the old base TL), which had 225 hp. I think of of buying this car as having a 45-hp engine upgrade, albeit one that cost $35k to buy (remember, I bought at list price).

Originally Posted by UminChu
I drove my TL to Cleveland just last week, I wish I'd PM'd you in advance.
Yeah, that's too bad. I haven't seen a NBP TL except for one at the dealership when I took my car in for the paint repair.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:38 PM
ajc
Cruisin'

NB- what was the fix to your glovebox? I had my TL serviced at Motorcars and they could not replicate the problem, so they didn't provide a fix. Now that the temps has dropped here in Cleveland, the thing won't stop rattlin'.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm not sure what they did, but whatever it was, it worked. I apologize that I can't be specific.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb

neuronbob, good to know your car is holding up and doing ok. Mine will be 6 month old pretty soon. So far, I only concern two things, tires and tints. Wish this day will come up soon.

Old 04-02-2004, 06:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got mine Oct 7th I think, the tuesday after the friday they came out. I wish I could have half the nice things to say about mine that you say about yours.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:00 AM
Instructor

Here in northeastern Ohio, I saw a lovely Satin Silver Metallic TL darting to and fro in traffic in front of me the other day--could've been you! I don't see that many TLs here yet--a siting of a RRP a couple weeks ago, NBP last week, and an Anthracite TL yesterday. That's it! I join the club tomorrow, when I pick up my car.

Thanks for the report!
best
Mark
Old 04-02-2004, 09:37 AM
Racer

Thanks, NeuronBob.

Grew up in Cleveland and my folks, brothers and inlaws are still there. I can see why you don't need tint up there, with all the clouds.

I now live in UCLA (Ugly Corner of Lower Alabama) near Fort Rucker and Florida. Tint is definitely a necessity down here in the late spring, summer and early fall.

My car is ten years old and I need a new one. I really want a TL and nothing else is even in the running. The problem is the dealership is 100 miles away which makes small problems larger ones.

I also wonder what changes there'll be - such as aux in for an ipod, better tires, better steering, better leather, no 1500 rpm vibration, no headliner's drooping. I still think the TL is head and shoulders above any other vehicle. I'd hate to buy it, though and the '05's have SH-AWD or other improvements. Its like buying a computer - as soon as you do, the next model has so much more.

Thanks for the update and keep us up to date q 6.

DC
Old 04-02-2004, 12:47 PM
Racer

Oh and how much for the ArmorGard?

Any data on how it holds up compared to ClearBra? Who makes the film that ArmorGard uses?

thanks
Old 04-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tristero
Here in northeastern Ohio, I saw a lovely Satin Silver Metallic TL darting to and fro in traffic in front of me the other day--could've been you!
I try to stay in the left (e.g. passing) lane as much as possible, and go around idiots :rocketwho who insist on 60 mph in the passing lane. So it could have been me.

Originally Posted by MyJohnson
Oh and how much for the ArmorGard?

Any data on how it holds up compared to ClearBra? Who makes the film that ArmorGard uses?
I used the wrong name, it's actually Armorglove. If you go to their website, the hood and front bumper kits are each $250. There's an installer in the Cleveland area, Armorglove Midwest that offers local installation. I haven't had a chance to call and find out whether they charge full retail + installation, I'd imagine they would give a discount for both kits together, etc. They do installs on many cars in the local dealerships, which is how I found out about them. I don't know how they compare to ClearBra but the material appears to be the same to me.

You might as well buy now, or wait until '06, as I don't forsee any changes for the 2005 MY. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by Sherlock
I got mine Oct 7th I think, the tuesday after the friday they came out. I wish I could have half the nice things to say about mine that you say about yours.
I'm sorry you've been having problems with yours. I tend to be pretty lucky with cars, except with my 2000 Dodge Intrepid, which had a tranny failure after only 625 miles. I almost turned that sh!t in immediately....but drove it another 39000 before trading it for my first TL without other issues.

Originally Posted by rets
neuronbob, good to know your car is holding up and doing ok. Mine will be 6 month old pretty soon.
rets, you should post your opinions as well at six months. I think visitors to the site need as many data points as they can to really learn about the car. Looking forward!
Old 04-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Addendum:

I just looked at my first week update. I mentioned how shabby the EL42s were. Did I start a trend? :argue:
Old 04-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Instructor

I've got about 6400 on mine and am still considering a clear bra solution. I'm more and more hesitant as time goes on though. There are not any serious ones, but with each passing day, I get more small blemishes from pebbles, etc. I'd feel kind of silly covering an already dinged up front with a clear bra.

Also, I've noticed two small dings that show through to black (primer?) - one on the hood closer to the windshield and one on the upper driver-side door. Anybody know of a clear bodysuit?

Oh, and one more thing. Somebody needs to invent a car cover that deploys automatically via a button on the key fob.