3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nerdy question - hand brake cover staples?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Nerdy question - hand brake cover staples?

Well, I have only driven 60 miles in 2 weeks, so I have found my first non-techie question.

The leather (or vinyl?) covering on the handbrake has what appear to be 4 staples, just below the area that would be bisected by the console if an imaginary line were drawn end to end - there are two on each side of the cover.

Do others have that? My first inclination was to remove it, but since form follows function in a proeperly engineered thing, I figure there must be a reason. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2004, 09:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've noticed this too. It was my first disappointment regarding the car. The staple is used to fasten the brake cover lining (which I am guessing is a very thin leather or vinyl) to a pad that keeps the form. I was disappointed by the cheapness of it all.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Not a Blowhole

Thx - now that we have established it has a purpose, I see the next step as mitigtaing damages - I think some flat black applied with a fine paintbrush will be a quick and easy remedy.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:04 AM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw one staple on each side on mine. They are below the level of the console and out of sight. I have to push the boot in and look for them to see them.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:15 AM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn! I do not understand what you guys are talking about? Where are these staples.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:35 AM
TL Techy

Near your hand brake, near the bottom part, a little past the center column, the leather is set together with staples.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by joganjani
Damn! I do not understand what you guys are talking about? Where are these staples.
"The leather (or vinyl?) covering on the handbrake has what appear to be 4 staples, just below the area that would be bisected by the console if an imaginary line were drawn end to end - there are two on each side of the cover."

Where did I lose you?

And there are four - two in front, two in back.

The flat black paint worked pretty well - they no longer catch the light, which is what made me notice them in the first place.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:35 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Eventually I'd like to buy a new e-brake handle from MOMO and a nice leather boot.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found the other two staples in the daylight. Yep, that could have been done better...

Some custom boots for the shifter and handbrake would be a nice upgrade. Stitching to match the A-Spec steering wheel would be awesome. I'll add it to the wish list.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:10 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never noticed this until you guys mentioned it.....now I think it looks cheap too.......I wish I nad never noticed it...LOL!!!
Old 07-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by JetJock
I've never noticed this until you guys mentioned it.....now I think it looks cheap too.......I wish I nad never noticed it...LOL!!!
Isn't that always the case, man? I call it the Pain of Knowing - it is also known by its alter-ego: Ignorance is Bliss.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Oh, jeez, I can see mine too, so I am unhappy. But wait, in order to see the staples, I have to look directly down into the opening, and press on the sides, and then I can see the staples. But if I don't go to any extra trouble to see the staples, I don't see them, and no one else sees them either, so I guess that is one less thing to worry about.

If any of you crawl under your car and find some dirty spots, don't tell me because I haven't found them yet either.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:51 PM
I6

I got the staples too. But i'm the same as Ron A. I have to look directly down into the opening, and press on both sides.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ron A
Oh, jeez, I can see mine too, so I am unhappy. But wait, in order to see the staples, I have to look directly down into the opening, and press on the sides, and then I can see the staples. But if I don't go to any extra trouble to see the staples, I don't see them, and no one else sees them either, so I guess that is one less thing to worry about.

If any of you crawl under your car and find some dirty spots, don't tell me because I haven't found them yet either.
Thank God for a voice of reason. Like so many other picky, petty things people come here to complain about, this one falls into the WGAF category.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Not a Blowhole

On your car maybe - mine are visible without looking for them - that is how I spotted them in the 1st place! Do you think I was squeezing the handbrake wondering what new hassle I could find? - I do not post nerdy things; plenty of others here doing that - this one was plainly in sight, which qualifies for a
Old 07-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLGator
Thank God for a voice of reason. Like so many other picky, petty things people come here to complain about, this one falls into the WGAF category.
You know what's funny, so many people on the forum defend the TL as a $50K car for $32K. While admittedly this is an insignificant issue, it does demonstrate some of the areas in which Acura's cutting costs. If someone found a similar post on a BMW board, you guys would be all over it talking about how "low rent" BMW has become and "can you believe BMW's are held together with staples".
Old 07-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Not a Blowhole

My hernia operation was held together with staples - and the family jewels survived!
Old 07-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Road Rage
On your car maybe - mine are visible without looking for them - that is how I spotted them in the 1st place! Do you think I was squeezing the handbrake wondering what new hassle I could find? - I do not post nerdy things; plenty of others here doing that - this one was plainly in sight
It's plainly in sight on mine, too. I just don't think it's worthy of the neuron energy required to think about it.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BarryH
You know what's funny, so many people on the forum defend the TL as a $50K car for $32K. While admittedly this is an insignificant issue, it does demonstrate some of the areas in which Acura's cutting costs. If someone found a similar post on a BMW board, you guys would be all over it talking about how "low rent" BMW has become and "can you believe BMW's are held together with staples".
I'm not sure which side of the issue you're arguing for, but your comments point out exactly what some of us have been talking about for a long time on this forum. The TL is indeed a $35k car trying to compete with the $50k boys. People love to brag about that on this forum, but then they turn around and bitch about minor things that are merely reflective of the cost-cutting Acura did to get the car to $35k in the first place. Staples instead of stitching in the hand brake cover is a perfect example. The fact that the fog lights aren't completely independent. That we don't have auto-on headlights. That the trunk uses hinges instead of hydraulic struts. That the rear seats don't completely fold down. Acura could have added all those things and the car would have cost more. Too many people come to this forum and say, "I expected better from a $35k car" as if either of the following two things were true:

1) $35k is an outrageous sum of money to pay for a new car (not so in the 21st Century)
2) Any car, if priced high enough, will be perfect. Just not so.

So we've got a few staples. BFD. WGAF. Keep your eyes on the road and you'll never think about them again.

And be thankful they're not paper clips. Because evidently Acura used a few of those in some places, too.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLGator
I'm not sure which side of the issue you're arguing for, but your comments point out exactly what some of us have been talking about for a long time on this forum.
You and I are saying the same thing. The TL (and all Acura's) represent great value. Some people swear they're getting $50K worth of car for $30ishK. They're not. You point out some pretty valid examples. You can add repeaters that don't repeat and a headliner stuck on with two-sided tape. Bottom line is: A) buy a $30ishK car and stop bitching about petty things that could have been implemented differently, or B) buy the $50K car if the additional things you're getting are important to you. In every BMW comparison thread, a large number of people say that BMW is over priced. Included in the over pricing are better levels of fit, finish, quality, and engineering. Like you said, the little things are just little things. But understand that somethings got to be missing in the $15ishK price spread.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:57 PM
Racer

theres no staples on mine
Old 07-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Not a Blowhole

Regarding the rear seat - that whole area has been significantly strengthened in the TL, compared to the Accord. This yields the strong torsional riogidity of the car, and contributes to its low resonant frequency. It was not done to "cheap out" at all. In fact, it likely cost more, as a lot of finite element analysis would be needed, and it would have been cheaper to incorporate the Accord mechanism, which isd amortized over half-a million cars.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

BarryH - Thanks for the clarification. Well said.

Road Rage - Then the non-folding rear seats were a bad example on my part. But BarryH's point remains valid. Cost-cutting measures are everywhere on the TL. The staples are hardly a big deal, but if you found painting them flat black a good solution, more power to ya.