Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, please! Radio code and the runaround....3G Garage #I-091

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help, please! Radio code and the runaround....3G Garage #I-091

I'm a first gen'er but I'm trying to get the quickest feedback on general practice regarding a radio code. I just bought a '96 3.2TL and I need the code. The (non-Acura) dealer I got it from didn't have it and I've checked as many "hidden" spots as people have supposedly found their code in. No luck. I finally found a nice shortcut to be able to see behind the radio to get the serial #: "FF01777." Called Acura and they said I had to go to a local dealer. I go to my nearest and tell them the story. I start to get this runaround as to whether it was bought here or not and even threw out the idea of CHARGING ME to pull the radio to get "all the codes" (um, jackass, you only need one code). I say it wasn't bought there but that I'm pretty sure I have the serial number already. The guy says it's usually 7 digits, like "CB...," I say great, I've got it and give him the number. He starts with, uh, that doesn't sound like enough digits (wtf??) or something. Goes to some screen and says, "well, try this, I'm surprised it came back with a code, but you can try it." Since my kids were in the car and getting cranky and my radio was locked out, I just took it home so I could unhook the battery later and try it out. Get home, it doesn't work. I told myself I should lean over to look at the screen in case he was just bs'ing me so I would come back and pay him something. Once he gave me "26262" I should have been more suspicious. I couldn't really see any other number on the back of the radio - could the number I got just happen to look a lot like the serial# but be something different?

Long story short, I have no confidence in that dealer and I'm not exactly looking forward to just going to another dealer and getting f'd with. Can anyone here offer another solution? I understand the problems with giving out a code to just anyone - kinda defeats the point of the code - but I also understand that the rightful owner shouldn't have to deal with this kinda crap to listen to his own radio. Any help is appreciated. Thx!
Old 06-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Advanced

I knew someone that had a similar problem, has new battery put in at local service station and radio locked out. She did not have the code and had to go to an Acura dealer for same. THERE IS A CHARGE ! Acura wanted something like $85 to get code. She went to a local car radio install type place and he unlocked it for $45. You are given the code and serial number etc at time of purchase, in fact my salesmen wrote it back if several business cards he gave me and strongly advised that I secure them somewhere for future need, like one at home and one in wallet. He said that there was a charge to get code if ever needed.

George in NY
Old 06-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Advanced

To clarify, this is a '96 I bought used - I posted here a) b/c there's like 4 people viewing the 1st gen forum and b) b/c I was hoping to just get a lead on a competent dealership who may actually offer to get the code for - gasp - free, since it just requires them punching 7 buttons. I'm sure whoever bought the car was given the code but all documents are gone and it's not hidden anywhere in the car that I can find.

How does a local place unlock it? Do they just volunteer to enter 7,776 codes for you until they hit it? Ugh - screw it, I guess I'll just wait until I put my MP3 deck in.......
Old 06-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Did you look on the bottom of the ash tray in the console? That's where mine was on my 96TL.

On my 04TL, the radio code is in the Acura computer for my car, so maybe it is for the 96TL and some Acura dealer can access the Acura website. You can't do it yourself because you have to be an authorized dealer.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:12 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

My 04 TL is sitting in the service department of the dealer where I bought my car (Stevens Creek Acura). When they printed out the work order for me, it actually LISTED the codes at the top of the work order. I think this is so the techs don't have to go ask the service advisors or use the computers to pull the codes out in case they disconnect the battery.

I verified the codes with the stickers my salesman gave me and they're correct.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Advanced

well, they redeemed themselves. I finally just went ahead and pulled the radio (for those who have done it, you know it's a total no-brainer) and got the correct serial#. I called and spoke to the same guy - I said I know there's issues with giving it out but you're not that close to me, can I fax you something.....? He asked for the serial# and said, "The number I can't give you is....." Works! He just made a customer back.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:24 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

sonicblue:

I would send a thank you note to that service advisor just so he knows your appreciation!
Old 06-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Advanced

yeah, I was thinking that, too!
Old 06-05-2004, 05:11 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by sonicblue
yeah, I was thinking that, too!
I think those little thank you notes go a long way in retaining the quality of the service people we depend on (in both this industry and others)... never a bad idea!
Old 06-05-2004, 08:18 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
If anyone else has any similar problems you can long on to .com and there is an Internet Parts Manager from a dealer in upstate NY that has given lots of folks their codes. His name is Tim and he seems very cool.

Just an FYI and another site you may want to hit from time to time.

Rob
Old 07-29-2004, 12:25 AM
5th Gear

I found the security codes for both my 96 TL 3.2 and 03 TL-S under the fuse box cover (under the hood). Small paper glued to the cover with the serial number and a five digit number. It's not identified or labeled in any way. But that's what you need to make the stereo work after your battery is disconnected.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
04 TL owners. I will save you the trouble of looking under your fuse box cover-it isn't there on our cars. Maybe your particular dealer put it there for their convenience if they disconnected the battery.

Edited: I finally found mine stuck to the left side of the glove compartment, visible when it is opened.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:02 PM
9th Gear

radio & nav codes on 2004 TL

On my 2004 TL (VIN 60xxx), stickers showing the serial numbers and codes for the radio and GPS unit were stuck on the right outside surface of the glove compartment.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ron A
04 TL owners. I will save you the trouble of looking under your fuse box cover-it isn't there on our cars. Maybe your particular dealer put it there for their convenience if they disconnected the battery.

Edited: I finally found mine stuck to the left side of the glove compartment, visible when it is opened.
whenever i pdi a car i place the radio and navi code stickers on the plastic piece behind the glove box. if you open the glove box while you are sitting in the driver seat you should be able to see it. sometimes the give us extra stickers with the serial # on it i stick those to the under side of the center console lid.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:37 AM
Team NightHawk VP

mine is always in my wallet and have it written down in my service manual just in case