3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help from current TL owners...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 01:34 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help from current TL owners...

I'm torn between two color combos, and I really need some people's real world experiences to make an informed conclusion on this.

My two combos of choice:

1.) Abyss Blue/Camel interior

2.) Anthracite/Ebony interior

My biggest concern is the maintenance & wear/tear associated with the two interior colors above.

For those that have these interior colors, can you give me the pros/cons based on look, maintenance needed, etc.?

TIA
Old 02-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The main difference is the interior color...

with the camel interior, it can easily get dirty...and if u wear jeans, then the color of your jeans can go on the seat...which eventually would make the car looking cheap...if for example, you spill soda on your carpet in a camel interior, then it's going to be difficult to completely get rid of the stains...

with the ebony interior, the only main disadvantage is that it could get too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter...well at least more than the camel...some may say that u can see dust easily on an ebony color and that is true, but if you wipe down the dash once a month or even once a week, or every couple weeks, then you can solve that problem quickly...

hence, my recommendation is to get EBONY interior...

hence, you would have to get anthracite...
Old 02-02-2005, 01:47 PM
320 sc

I just joined, purchased a Anthracite/ebony with a-spec body kit and rear lip spoiler and I think it looks classy. Have camel color in my Z-71 suburban and you must clean it (not just wipe it off) all the time.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:58 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
FWIW

I have had the Quartz w/ Abyss for two months. I wear jeans a lot, my interior still looks nice and clean. The color combo gets lots of positive attention.

I also have an SSM/Ebony MDX, looks good but does show a fair amount of dust on unused seats, dash etc.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Banned

We have anthracite/ebony and get nothing but oohs and awes from folks looking it over. The anthracite paint looks almost black at night and, in sunshine, the imbedded metal flake really comes alive to add some glitter.

If you get an ebony interior make sure you buy sunshades and use them, especially if you are in a warm climate. The ebony looks really snazzy with the aluminum/stainless interior trim, IMO.

O.K., I admit it. Anthracite/ebony was my wife's first choice!!

Good luck.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:45 PM
10th Gear

Has anyone that has the Camel done some sort of stain treatment, like Scotchguard to help eliminate some of the maintenance need?
Old 02-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Instructor

I have ssm/ebony and while the black doesn't show dirt it shows every crumb, flake,dust speck or particle that lays on it. It does look great though with the carbon and aluminum trim.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:53 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by myculito
Has anyone that has the Camel done some sort of stain treatment, like Scotchguard to help eliminate some of the maintenance need?
I've had my "parchment" TL for over year, wear all types of jeans, slacks, belts, wifes leather jackets (OK she wears them..).... All come in contact with my TL seats. We have yet to have any "transfer" of color from one to another. After 13K+ miles the seats look as nice as new. The only treatment I perform is Zaino's leather in a bottle - every month or so. As for which color gets dirtier faster... Bottom line, they both get dirty at the same rate. One just may not "reveal" it as much as the other. If you like keeping your car clean, the color/looks dirty issue shouldn't have to effect your decision.

As for what looks better between a light and dark interior,, I'm one for a little contrast and definitely feel the parchment/camel is better looking. At my age, my personal opinion is that black/dark interiors are the sporty feel where as lighter interiors are more luxury and class. But, as most of us would agree, "to each his own".

As for your two mentioned "combo" choices,,, both are nice but the ABP/Camel would stay number 1 in my eyes.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Cruisin'

?Sporty or Classy?

I got the ABP camel and can't count how many times I have heard "Wow" and "Classy" among the comments on the contrasting color combo. I was actually going for anthracite/ebony but then saw the blue/camel and made the decision on the spot. Have you looked/sat in both?

I agree with KJSmitty - it might just be whether you want to take a slight tip more towards "sporty" v "luxury".

btw - I've been slogging through this Chicago winter weather for a month and, without any cleaning, the camel still looks great (the perfectly matching all season floor mats have been a big help I'm sure! ).
Old 02-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Racer

And I live in Chicago and have AM/Ebony

I didn't have a lot of choices when I got mine. I wasn't going to wait to order one. I was worried about the light interior so the AM was the only color on the lot with Ebony. 3 months later I'm very happy with the color choice. So many people have dark grey cars, but none of them look as nice as the AM on the TL. It is a very classy color.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am pretty syre Black would be Warmer in the winter. Black absorbs energy, thus would get hotter in sunlight. I know some people who paint there walkways black to help melt snow. In the summer it can be brutal though, I would get one of those window reflecters no matter what the whether, and when you park in the shade check the ground in that area for crap from any trees or birds.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Safety Car

anthracite/ebony
Old 02-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
we hav am/eb tl as well; great combo and scratches are not really noticable.... but... i think its kinda too conservative, but get the am/eb
Old 02-02-2005, 08:33 PM
10th Gear

Damn, so hard to decide!

TLYsis, I did have a chance to sit in both of them. Both are nice... Blue/Camel is very classy...rare combo that I don't see every day.

My biggest concern though is the maintenance pros/cons the members here have dealt with with both the ebony and camel.

Geez....still so hard!

Anyone else want to chime in?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:19 PM
Licking Platters Clean

I am probably the most DIEHARD Camel fan on this forum. I refused many great offers on non-camel TLs. To me, it was the most incredible thing about the car....the camel interior is one of the most uniquely pleasing interiors you'll find on the market at any price. I love Camel....love it love it love it.

THAT SAID.....if you're worried about maintenance, look elsewhere. If I so much as rest a UPS box or anything like it on the back seat for five minutes, I've got the Lexol out scrubbing out the marks it leaves. Muddy boots? Don't even get in. Got kids? GOOD LUCK. I've never had trouble with any clothes like jeans leaving stains, but maybe I'm just lucky.

The maintenance doesn't bother me a bit because I keep the car up meticulously anyway and don't drive it in the winter. But if you're not like me, I can see where you'd have a pretty grubby car in no time. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2005, 09:55 PM
2005 TL Owner

I've got the ABP/Camel. I was worried that that the lighter seat color would show. It's been over a month now and outside of the inevitable butt print and creases on the edges. It's been great. The dark blue shows dirt almost as much dirt as black. I keep my car in the garage and a good washing only lasts 24 hours. The best part is ABP is nearly as common on the road as the anthacite. Stands out alot more.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Instructor

I have the ABYSS with QUARTZ and looking back, I would have gotten the Anthracite/Ebony hands down.

The abyss is like the color black and therefore shows more scratches and swirl marks. Sometimes, I really regret getting this color combo. Nothing beats a black interior on a car. I don't know what I was thinking listening to my wife when I let her choose the colors.

Grrrrrrr
Old 02-03-2005, 11:08 AM
2005 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi

I had a 03 TL-s in Anthracire/ebony it was soooo easy to take care of....but now i have a 05 SSM/Ebony and no worries....actually a little bit ago i just spilled coke on the seat grabbed a towel real quick and it came right up....but of course the leather is conditioned w/ Lexol

I'd go AB/Quartz IMO not a fan of Camel
Old 02-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
abp with camel...

I've had a number of dark cars with similar dark interiors and nothing comes close to the feel that the parchment color brings out. Like someone posted earlier, I'll get complimented on how classy the interior looks. No issues with color bleeding from jeans, etc. It can get dirty easier, but just make sure you protect and condition the seats to cover yourself. Also, my only gripe is keeping the carpets clean but that is only because everyone wants to ride in the new car. Scotchguard sounds like a good idea and the thick all-weather mats definitely come in handy.

Also, not sure if you're into the mood lighting, but I've got the blue led's installed in the dome lights and doors. When the led's are on and you can see the contrasting colors between the black dash and the camel interior.......I get way more compliments in the evening.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:33 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,130 Likes on 2,566 Posts
It depends on everyone's personal taste but here's my 2 cents.

I prefer dark color exteriors with light interiors or vise-versa. My wife has Black Honda Pilot with a gray interior, and although the gray hides the dirt/dust it makes the interior look more steril and informal. My brother has a BMW M6 with a Black paint and Tan leather and it's a elegant combination, so I choose the Black/Camel for my TL.

As for the maintenance, I had a Gold 89 Legend with a light tan interior and never had any problems with color from clothing. However my daughter left a blue crayon on the seat in August once and even though I removed the wax, the color pigment was permenently into the leather.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

I like dark/dark. The M6 is also slightly, just slightly nicer then the pilot, could that have contributed to the better more elegant look?
Old 02-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
recent survey on colors....

Here's an article I read not too long ago. May help you out. Silver is still a favorite amongst most buyers but stabilizing. Grey (possibly anthracite in your case) is the fresh alternative but you'll see that blue or tints of blue is becoming the next color of choice. If you plan on selling the car in a few years (5-6), you may get a higher resale value if you take into account that blue is moving up the ladder.

If the link below doesn't work, do a google search for "top 10 car colors for 2005"

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...2F14999_1.html
Old 02-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Advanced

My Abyss Blue/camel has been a great combo--nothing but compliments, the camel is not hard to take care of, although any dark car will show the dirt better (worse) than a light color (desert gold mist).
Old 02-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Computer Techie Geek

Camel ... thats my choice
Old 02-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Mine is Anthracite/Ebony/6MT/Nav and I couldn't be more pleased. But this is S-O-O-O subjective.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:18 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I have NBP with camel. I didn't like the idea of an ebony interior because I'm a golfer and I have UVA football season tickets, so on weekends the car is outside in the sun a fair amount. I got the leather treated when I bought the car and have not had too many problems with dirt. Ms1995hoo has one black vest that sometimes leaves a small mark, and one time when I was fairly sweaty from something or other my belt appeared to leave a slight mark on the driver's seat. I just keep a package of Griot's Interior Cleaner Wipes and a cotton cloth in the trunk; if I see a mark, I wipe it off promptly and there's never been a permanent stain.

If I were to feel that I needed a more thorough cleaning, I might use the stuff that I got from La-Z-Boy when I bought a black leather couch some time ago. I'm not sure what it is since I haven't used it in a while, but it keeps the couch in really nice condition.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Car Addict

I have AM/ebony but the blue cars look excellent too. Camel sounds like a problem waiting to happen.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:52 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by myculito
i Have o5' ABP/Camel and the leather is not hard to keep clean( i wipe down when i detail every month) but the plastic skrtings seem to get black on them very easily. kinda hard to clean off. but color combo looks great. I have gotten many complements.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Instructor

I am a ABYSS BLUE/QUARTZ owner - and I will tell you that you will be making a HUGE mistake getting this piece of sh*t color.

Get Anthracite!!!! Ebony interior will do the trick.

Abyss Blue Pearl = One of hte worst colors ever
Old 07-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Instructor

Ive got ABP/Camel...not ahrd to keep clean love the color combo...its all about preference
Old 07-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TL_BLUE
I am a ABYSS BLUE/QUARTZ owner - and I will tell you that you will be making a HUGE mistake getting this piece of sh*t color.

Get Anthracite!!!! Ebony interior will do the trick.

Abyss Blue Pearl = One of hte worst colors ever

Blasphemy!!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:54 AM
Safety Car

ABP/Camel - Not too many of 'em around and with the light color interior will show dirt and grime faster than ebony, especially if you have kids. You'll be cleaning and maintaining more than with the ebony interior.

AM/Ebony - One of the more popular combos, stainless and carbon fibre go well with the interior, easier to maintain than ABP, interior does not show dirt and grime as much and as someone mentioned, any type of debris like crumbs or flakes will show.

But in all reality, it comes down to personal preference. IMO, both combos look good, if you like the sport/luxury look, then AM/Ebony. If you like classy/luxury, the ABP/Camel is for you. Good Luck!
Old 07-26-2005, 07:45 PM
Instructor

you are right, it is about preference. but owners of dark colored cars should realize that maintaining them as a lot more difficult than it is for a silver or even an anthracite colored car.

my last car was a satin silver metallic, and I find I have to do three times the work to keep my ABP clean.

With darker cars, u see more swirl marks and the like.

I did get the ABP because I loved the blue with the quartz, but after having it for over a year, I just wouldn't recommend it to someone else.

This was my first and last dark colored car. I am going with silver from now on or something like anthracite.

Unless ofcourse I get that ferrari, which will probably be some crazy color. ha