Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Near Death Experience-Complete Brake Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 01:00 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Near Death Experience-Complete Brake Failure

Apologize for the long read but I figured I share this. I've been stuck in North Carolina for 2 days now and finally going to leave now after I almost died on I-95 when my brakes completely failed. I now know it started when I heard a clunk, when I was drivng, which sounded like a bolt that fell off and kind of went under the car hitting it and gave us kind of a loud noise, I immediately braked as a reaction, and the car stopped with no problem but since everything seemed cool, I dismissed the sound for what I thought could've been a rock also and kept going. Half hour later (12:45 AM) we decided we wanted to call it a night and were looking for a place to sleep so we were just driving at about 85 mph and looking for a hotel. I started to approach a construction zone where they had one lane closed and so all the cars in front of me were slowing down as they needed to switch lanes. This is when the chaos happened, I hit the brakes but I HAD A DEAD PEDAL. The pedal just went all the way to the floor with not one ounce of stopping power and car just kept going at 85 mph! I then started pumping the brakes but same shit, no response what so ever! I immediately freaked, threw the water bottle I had in my hand to my sister, put the car into sport mode and down shifted into 2nd gear to use the force of the lower gears to engine brake me, which worked cuz it slowed us down to 60 within 2 seconds, and then I had to pull the emergency brake and I came to a dead stop and had to turn the car into the grassy median which I couldn't totally get into since there as a 10 foot ditch there as well. Luckily I had maintained enough distance between me and the car in front of me that I had ample time to pull this maneuver because if it were maybe 20 mts. ago, I was traveling much faster and the outcome could've been VERY DIFFERENT! Lets say I would've wrapped it around a tree.

Now being stuck in the left lane, I had to move over to the right lane, but I was scared to do so because I had no brakes, but I had to because being stuck where I was in that darkness, was more disaster waiting to happen, so when I found an opening, I shifted over to the closed right lane and used the hand brake to stop and park it. Once that was done, I had to catch my breath and was totally shooken up. It's one of those things that you see in the movies, and hope never happens. I got out of the car and decided to see what the fuck happened and I immediately saw a pool of brake fluid from my front 2 wheels and my drivers side brake caliper was missing completely!! The right side seemed to be in tact but looked like there was a leak in the line so no pressure.

So now, I have no idea where I am, because in S. Carolina, the distance between towns and exits could very well be 50 miles. I called Acura Road Side Assistance, and when they asked me for my location it was next to impossible to tell them because I just didn't know, and when I looked at my navigation screen, all I saw was a red line representing I-95 all surrounded by black. Not a town or any other road in site. I was able to use my iPhone and google maps and somewhat give him lattitude and longitude and that's what saved me. However they botched up the tow truck dispatch 2x and finally only got it right on the 3rd time after yelling at them and so the truck finally came to us after waiting there parked in the middle of the forest for 4.5 hours!

The car was then towed to the nearest Acura Dealership, which was 80 miles away in Fayeteville, North Carolina!! Me and my sister had to ride in the tow truck and we finally got there at 7:30 AM. But this is where I was proud to be part of Acura. Acura Client services, immediately notified the dealer of my arrival, and so when I got there, they immediately had a brand new loaner car for me waiting which they gave me the keys to, and also made a reservation for me at a nearby hotel only 1 mile away. The towing truck cost was $600 and the repair job was $800, plus the hotel was $200 and Acura is paying for all of it.

They told me since I was not in NY or Miami they can't get parts same day so they would have to order a new brake system which would only be next day so we finally got the car back and are about to leave now. When I saw the car on the lift at the dealership, I saw the shit that happened, 2 bolts came off lose (explaining the clunk I heard) and the brake caliper completely slid off the rotor and was hanging by the brake line on the inside of my wheel. The pressure build up on one side caused the other side to rupture explaining the brake fluid loss, it was clear as night and day as soon as I saw it, and the service guy agreed that's what happened.

Anyways, we're happy to be alive and this could've been alot worse, so I'm just happy we made it out without being severly hurt or dead.

The point of me sharing this story is so that you guys always follow the specs on torquing all your bolts, because this is what could happen and its due to my own negligence. I have sure learned my lesson and will never make this mistake again, but I'm a firm supporter of Acura Client Services now because what could've been a nightmare ended up being an inconvenience instead all due to the service provided by the Acura Dealership and Client Services. Made me proud to be an Acura owner.

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 08-19-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:13 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a story for a late night read! Glad everyone is alive and safe!

I have used the Client Services as well, and while not to your extent, its awesome...not a penny out of my pocket for anything.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wow scarry glad you guys are ok man !
Old 08-19-2009, 01:21 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Wow crazy story! Glad you are ok!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad everyone is okay and safe, but they didnt ask questions as to why the bolts came loose in the first place??
Old 08-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Make Nice, Not Rice

Great job with the quick thinking Elegant, as expected of you. Glad that sexy car of yours, yourself and sister are fine.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
WOW what a story! are you still under warranty??! is that why acura roadside paid for everything, or was it a kind gesture? i thought you couldn't use them at all if you were out of warranty?! i'm glad everything went well!!!!! phew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by erick3
WOW what a story! are you still under warranty??! is that why acura roadside paid for everything, or was it a kind gesture? i thought you couldn't use them at all if you were out of warranty?! i'm glad everything went well!!!!! phew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad your ok! But i was under the same impression that if your warranty expires you couldn't use it.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
so who exactly worked on the brakes the last time?
I have seen bolts rip out the threads from being too tight,
but not seen any so loose they fell out!

gen3 has an abs modulator problem too iirc
Old 08-19-2009, 05:05 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
You could have used your Nav to tell them where you were. Just hit the speak button and say,

"Display current location" (I'm pretty sure that's it)

You will get the map coordinates, an address if available, and the feet above sea level. You could also try just pushing the joy button to see if anything appears on the screen, but the spoken command is very useful for locations.

Glad you came out Ok. Incidently, I love South Carolina and hope to some day move there after retirement.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
You could have used your Nav to tell them where you were. Just hit the speak button and say,

"Display current location" (I'm pretty sure that's it)

You will get the map coordinates, an address if available, and the feet above sea level. You could also try just pushing the joy button to see if anything appears on the screen, but the spoken command is very useful for locations.

Glad you came out Ok. Incidently, I love South Carolina and hope to some day move there after retirement.
all you have to do is touch the acura icon that represents your car on the nav screen and it will display those details, too.

Elegant Type S, I'm glad you and your sister didn't get hurt.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:07 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
impressive reaction...and nice job not reacting.....

the curse of nbp is not with you
Old 08-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
so who exactly worked on the brakes the last time?
I have seen bolts rip out the threads from being too tight,
but not seen any so loose they fell out!
gen3 has an abs modulator problem too iirc
Looks like he worked on the brakes:

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
The point of me sharing this story is so that you guys always follow the specs on torquing all your bolts, because this is what could happen and its due to my own negligence. I have sure learned my lesson and will never make this mistake again
Glad everyone was ok due to your quick thinking. Many years ago, I had the brakes go to the floor on 3 cars, a Cadillac Seville, a VW Beetle, and a Chevy. It surely makes the heart pump faster.
When it occurs, I always wonder what happens to the dual master cylinder and the system that’s not leaking, because it never works as a backup.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Man what a story, glad you and your sister are okay! That was some quick thinking and reaction on your part! It's nice to hear Acura stepping up and providing you with great service.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
daaamn raj!!!!! u better call me when ur up in ny bro!! whatta mess!!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:22 AM
boost 3G

def glad your ok! sounds like a scary experience! acura actually stepped up for once and helped a brotha out! NICE
Old 08-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I'm surprised your caliper slipped off and all you heard was clunk! do you have any enemies? This story sounds completely fubar'd.. Glad you and your sister are okay.. if a no brake pressure situation were to happen I would at least be content I was in a TL.. also.. I thought our hand brake was a joke.. it doesn't even keep the car from rolling on a slight incline.. I guess it's the real deal!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:45 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by alexSU
Man what a story, glad you and your sister are okay! That was some quick thinking and reaction on your part! It's nice to hear Acura stepping up and providing you with great service.

Glad you made it through that experience unharmed.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:47 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
wow...that is defintely some scary shit! Glad you and your family are ok tho. to acura client services. my warranty is almost up tho...
Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I thought the Acura, most other cars had a separate front and rear system for brakes. If one fails the other is still there. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 458 Likes on 255 Posts
that's why you need those huge rotors and calipers like a porsche, it barely fits in the wheel, so it wont slip out like yours did

i hate a brake leak in my old jeep, thought I could still maintain some brake pressure, i had to pump the brake pedal 3-4 times to get it to stop. Glad it did, my ebrake didn't work at all.

as everyone said, glad everyone's ok, how long do you have to stay up there for the repairs to be completed?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:57 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Truly scary indeed. Losing the brakes is everyone's nightmare! Makes me want to test the brakes once in awhile if I am on cruise control for a long time. I am so glad to hear that you, your sister and the car are all fine.

For sure having an Acura is a big step up in terms of service from all the "ordinary" brands. It's reason enough to buy a luxury brand, I don't care if that sounds snobby. Ever been in a Honda Service dept? BIG difference!

But other luxury brands are sometimes no better.....My dad's Caddy service sucks!! It is a combined Chevy dealer. You get Chevy style service.....No cappuccino machine or internet there, sorry! lol. His car is there now for routine service and they didn't even give him a loaner!!

(My best friend is a DM for Cadillac in Wash. DC.....sorry man, but gotta speak the truth!)

Last edited by rockyfeller; 08-19-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Im glad you're ok. that could have been MUCH worse.

anyway, one way of getting your exact GPS coordinates with a Navi car is to just press on the red arrow w/ the circle on the map. that will display your current latitude, longtitude and altitude
Old 08-19-2009, 09:08 AM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
holy shit!! dats crazy raj
Old 08-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Glad you two are ok.

i once had a caliper bolt go on me too. i was driving to work on the highway and when i started to brake, i heard a loud thumping noise but the car still stopped. when i got to work, i checked the car and the caliper wasn't on the rotor. i was like wtf! i called acura and they said i can come pick up a new caliper and drop my old one off after i switch them. i guess i was lucky that my brakes still worked
Old 08-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow, incredible story, glad you and your sister are ok. That was huge of Acura to do all of that for you too!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:24 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Glad you're OK. This is why I always let a mechanic do my brakes. They're too critical for safety, and as you can see, the slightest mistake .........

The exact same thing happened to a friend of mine driving a 2006 Cadillac CTS on the New Jersey Turnpike! Turned out to be the main computer that controls the whole friggin car.

This is the kind of story that typically comes from people who double cross 'da Family'.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko8221
all you have to do is touch the acura icon that represents your car on the nav screen and it will display those details, too.

Elegant Type S, I'm glad you and your sister didn't get hurt.
Thanks. I'll try that.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I thought the Acura, most other cars had a separate front and rear system for brakes. If one fails the other is still there. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The problem is that this is a hydraulic system, so when the line ruptured and the fluid drained, it drained the master brake cylinder and without the fluid, even if the front and rear calipers work separately, there is no fluid to push against the pistons in the calipers, meaning no brakes whatsoever.

And to the OP, glad you were able to safely get to the side of the road. That would be a scary experience to have especially at those speeds.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Happy to see that you and your sis are ok. Big thumbs up to the dealer & ACS for helping you when you needed them the most.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Wow. Glad everyone was ok.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Yeah... the reason I took the time to write this here.. is cuz I don't want anyone else overlooking the torquing of bolts to proper factory spec, because too much is at stake. I blame no one else but myself for this, but I'm very happy that my outcome was fortunate. Its not that I didn't tighten the bolts, it wasn't tight enough to proper spec. I don't want people to think that I didn't tighten it at all, its just that I tightened it till I couldn't tighten no more, but apparently that wasn't enough.

This is the only pic I was able to take after sunlight came up with my iPhone... once the car was parked at the dealership. You can clearly see the caliper is missing...the bare pads are visible with nothing to compress it. The caliper was on the inside of the rim hanging by the brake lines.

Last edited by Elegant TYPE S; 08-19-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 AM
*WFC #162*

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you guys are ok. I've had brakes fail on me too. In my cobra going about 115mph down the drag strip. Thank god I had enough distance to down shift and slow the car down enough to hand brake it. Makes you proud to be a Acura owner and see them step to the plate and take care of you like they did.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Right when I was getting mad because someone at Chili's rear ended my car while backing up and hurried up and left, I read this and happy nothing worse happened!
Old 08-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very glad you and your sister are ok. And I'm pleased to hear that Acura stepped up to the plate. They know the value of brand loyalty.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow glad you guys are ok Raj.. good quick thinking on your part.. its crazy what instincts people possess to keep out of danger.. I hyrdoplaned in my old s2k.. instead of slamming into a bus in my right lane i did a crazy maneuver that ended up having my s2k hit a wall .. still sucked, but at least we didnt get hurt and i didnt hurt anyone else ..

What were you doing to your brakes? changing out the pads?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,926 Likes on 14,464 Posts
Jeezzuzzz Raj...
Glad to hear you're ok man. And thankfully, although not as important...the car is ok. That could have been a mess. Have a safe trip the rest of the way!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:30 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
Sounds like you forgot the part of the story where you did some work on the brakes and forgot to torque the bolts. What's the deal? How is it a lesson in torquing bolts when your not providing the details of the bolts were not properly torqued in the first place...

Please elaborate...
Old 08-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Intermediate

that's some quick thinking. glad to hear your alright!
Old 08-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts
DAMN RAJ!

Now I know you will be making all the correct medical calls in urgent and pressing situations in a patient's room, good reaction.

Glad you and your sister are not injured and got to acura safely. Was your brake caliper ever removed before? I know it's pretty important to torque bolts for parts like brakes.. thank God you're okay though.

Make sure that pretty car of yours is untouched!

You must've been pretty pooped..... I know that feeling of being stranded and waiting 3-4 hours even for a lousy phone call..

Quick Reply: Near Death Experience-Complete Brake Failure