Is my VSA working ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004 | 07:28 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Is my VSA working ?

I have no light that say i have a malfunction on my VSA. But i m very surprised that i can make the tire squeal a lot at start. Is it normal ? I thought that VSA had a kind of built in anti skid ?
Old 10-31-2004 | 07:53 PM
Administrator

There are two VSA indicators.

One is by the zero on the tach, which comes on when you turn on the ignition as a test, and also comes on to show a malfunction in the VSA system.

The other indicator is at the bottom of the speedometer, just a little to the left of center. This is the one that comes on if you have turned the VSA off, or it flashes when VSA is active (like in the situation you stated above).

Are you looking in the right place? Also, you may not be spinning the wheels enough to activate it.
Old 10-31-2004 | 08:36 PM
loves his TL!

what kind of tires do you have? did you opt for the HPT?
Old 10-31-2004 | 09:06 PM
Instructor

The VSA takes over as soon as the wheels start to spin. The wheels spin just a little and you can feel the brakes actuating and stopping the spin process. Wheels spin not even half turn.
Old 11-01-2004 | 06:17 AM

I have the Michelin MXM4.

I know where the lights of VSA are, alla seems to be ok

May be when i hear the tires squealing like pig it's not wheel spin it's just my tires complaining about hard treatment.?
Old 11-01-2004 | 08:49 AM
Cruisin'

I've actually experienced the same thing with my 05 AT. Get on the gas, esp. when making a turn and it seems to really light up the tires. I have the MXM4s. I'm off the gas before I feel any traction control take affect, because I don't want to eat up my tires. Is this other people's expereince as well? My wife had a 2K Jetta GLS, and that car would work to reduce wheel spin very quicky, using the brakes rather than dumping the throttle, which was great. Even my old 99 Grand Prix (my God, what a change from that to the TL) would kill the engine once the tires started spinning. The TL just doesn't seem to do anything... Lately I've been looking for some wet leaves on the road to start on to see if it works at all.... I wonder???

Other than that, car is awesome, I've had it one week: AT, Anthracite, Ebony, navi.
Old 11-01-2004 | 04:53 PM
Banned

Question what is "VSA" and what is it use for?
Old 11-01-2004 | 07:12 PM
Cruisin'

VSA = Vehicle Stability Assist

combination of traction control (reduce wheelspin on starts) and the automagical way the car will help keep you from getting totally out of control by brake application and thottle managment.

I should note from my previous post that I am still in the break in period, and I haven't really let rip to see if the VSA does kick in... But... pulling out from corners under anything more than moderate acceleration does rip the tires loose, with no sign of traction control/VSA before I lift up on the gas myself.
Old 11-01-2004 | 07:24 PM
Instructor

Something may be wrong. Mine works like a charm.

Originally Posted by ef-tl
VSA = Vehicle Stability Assist

combination of traction control (reduce wheelspin on starts) and the automagical way the car will help keep you from getting totally out of control by brake application and thottle managment.

I should note from my previous post that I am still in the break in period, and I haven't really let rip to see if the VSA does kick in... But... pulling out from corners under anything more than moderate acceleration does rip the tires loose, with no sign of traction control/VSA before I lift up on the gas myself.
Old 11-02-2004 | 06:23 AM
Advanced

You REALLY have to push the car to get the VSA to kick in. It only comes into play when you are starting to skid or inducing wheelspin. I got mine to kick in on some North GA mountain roads this weekend but I was pushing VERY hard and entering a four wheel drift. Even then the thottle pulled back for just a split second. I did get the brakes to activate when I (on purpose) when into a SHARP turn with wet leaves on one side of my lane and floored it. I have yet to see VSA in daily driving however.
Old 11-03-2004 | 06:45 PM

Yesterday was a good rainy day so it was easier to see the VSA working, it woks fine. I was surprised that it let a certain fun to drive to the driver.
I remember when i tested the G35 sedan the stability system was always coming too soon in my opinion. It's better too soon than too late, but too soon cut the pleasure of driving.
Old 11-03-2004 | 08:02 PM
Advanced

A bit of a sidebar, but very interesting note about Stability Control Systems in the news:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...table_vehicles

Kind of cool...
Old 01-31-2005 | 02:43 AM
9th Gear

VSA Noise

I'm hearing noise when I take off from a stop , It seems to happen whe the VSA comes on my dealer says it normal ?

I don't buy it at all the noise is like a grinding crunch crunch , like i had something stuck under the front tires ,

Any help ?

Thanks !!