Sponsored by:

My TL-S Is Gonna Put Me In The Nut House

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My TL-S Is Gonna Put Me In The Nut House

It's kind of a long rant, sorry.

Since I took delivery, my type s has had a few problems between bad struts, defective rear spoiler, and a bad relay that pretty much crippled the car when it craped out. It was frustrating at first, but now I think back and it was really not that big of a deal, crap happens.

But today I think I could kill someone.

We finally got some snow and I decided to try the TL. And as suspected it handled like a champ. But when I was pulling into the driveway at work I noticed that there was some snow piled up in front from when the town plowed the streats. I thought nothing of it and drove in. Well apparently the north shore got some rain after the snow and turned everything to ice. I slammed hard into this one chunk and split the bumper beneath the pass side fog light and wrecked the air dam.

After some much deserved swearing and ing I made some phone calls to get someone to plow that crap away and noticed at the same time we were in need of some rock salt. So a few hours later I am on my way home to swap my car for my fathers pick-up truck to grab some salt. Well as luck would have it I am driving in the left lane on 495 and this huge block of ice breaks off the roof of an 18 wheeler in the middle lane and slams into my windshield cracking the hell out of it.

Luckily there was no body damage (outside of the friggen bumper), and that Mass auto insurance covers windshields 100% with no deductable. I am just so glad this day is finally over.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gdfthr
It's kind of a long rant, sorry.

Since I took delivery, my type s has had a few problems between bad struts, defective rear spoiler, and a bad relay that pretty much crippled the car when it craped out. It was frustrating at first, but now I think back and it was really not that big of a deal, crap happens.

But today I think I could kill someone.

We finally got some snow and I decided to try the TL. And as suspected it handled like a champ. But when I was pulling into the driveway at work I noticed that there was some snow piled up in front from when the town plowed the streats. I thought nothing of it and drove in. Well apparently the north shore got some rain after the snow and turned everything to ice. I slammed hard into this one chunk and split the bumper beneath the pass side fog light and wrecked the air dam.

After some much deserved swearing and ing I made some phone calls to get someone to plow that crap away and noticed at the same time we were in need of some rock salt. So a few hours later I am on my way home to swap my car for my fathers pick-up truck to grab some salt. Well as luck would have it I am driving in the left lane on 495 and this huge block of ice breaks off the roof of an 18 wheeler in the middle lane and slams into my windshield cracking the hell out of it.

Luckily there was no body damage (outside of the friggen bumper), and that Mass auto insurance covers windshields 100% with no deductable. I am just so glad this day is finally over.
Why is that song, "you had a bad day" playing in my head when I read this lol.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:16 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Boy, this sucks. Seems like the fate was to have left the TL at home. One on you and one on the accident. I haven't had mine on the road at all this year in snow, which has been only 3 times. Right know it's sounded by a 6inch thick iceberg, not going anywhere until it melts a little. Can't even break the ice with a garden shovel.

I felt that my first TL a 05 was cursed so much that after about the fifth or sixth thing with it happened. Dealer damaged it twice, was hit twice with road debris. I traded it in for an 06. Will have had the 06 1 years in 2 weeks, I love it.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Masshole

Sorry ot hear about your bad experiences. A friend of mine at work was telling me the same thing about how the snow he shoveled out of his driveway had blown back in during the night and turned into a solid brick of ice. He said he barely was able to make it out of his own driveway.

I also had the discussion this evening about the lazy bastards who won't clean off their roofs. I guess if you get their license plate they are responsible. I know it's probably easier said than done because you're probably in shock from the smash. Anyway, sorry to hear about the bad luck you've been having.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That sucks man, sorry to hear that.

Where on the North Shore are you located? We're having a meet on March 11th if you want to join us. A few of us are driving down from the area so let me know if you are interested in joining. It'd be nice to have a new TL-S there.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:20 AM
Masshole

Is it a big meet?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:40 AM
Retired and Loving It

Sorry to hear that happened to your TL. Reading all these posts about all the problems that the snow causes for TL and RL owners makes me glad I live in California. I don't think I could deal with one winter in snow country. Good luck with all the problems, I sympathize with you guys.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
Sorry to hear that happened to your TL. Reading all these posts about all the problems that the snow causes for TL and RL owners makes me glad I live in California. I don't think I could deal with one winter in snow country. Good luck with all the problems, I sympathize with you guys.

I enjoy going up to the snow occasionally, but I wouldn't want to go thru a whole winter.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:40 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
you need a healthy dose of obssesive compulsiveness.

rule 1) avoid/stay the hell away from everything
rule 2) think of the worse scenario when you see something and plan accordingly (yes the shopping cart will hit you, the asshole will cut in front of you, etc.
rule 3) no risks. dont do it. dont think about it. something bad will happen.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
you need a healthy dose of obssesive compulsiveness.

rule 1) avoid/stay the hell away from everything
rule 2) think of the worse scenario when you see something and plan accordingly (yes the shopping cart will hit you, the asshole will cut in front of you, etc.
rule 3) no risks. dont do it. dont think about it. something bad will happen.
wholeheartedly agree. its better you do this and you're proven wrong (nothing bad happens) than be proven right.

i feel for you bro. thats gotta be the worst day. hope things shape up.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
WHy is that fuckign people can't clean their roofs, this always use to piss me off, especially when you can clean the entire car, or sometimes they would even leave snow on their hood and trunks, its like they just dont care.

Cuz everyone knows that the snow blows off the cars on the highway so you can't even say they just dont know! Pisses me off!! Feel your pain man!!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
i don't live in the NE but are truck drivers up there expected to clean the roofs off of their 18 wheelers?
Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
sorry to hear about your day bro!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Instructor

When you buy a new car, just go ahead and kick the door in or key the paint before you drive out of the steelership for the first time, just to satisfy the car gods. From my past experience, the more you try to protect your new vehicle the more $h!# happens to it.

For instance, I tried protecting my '06WDP TL for several week after picking it up from the Dealer last year. During the first few week, I had several close calls, paint chips, and had to have the windshield replace because a Friggin boulder flew up from behind another car and hit my WS.

Then one day the family and I went to the local Baby's R Us for some Toddler supplies. All seemed well. We went into the store got what we needed and drove home. I pulled in to our garage and went in the house. A couple of hours later I come out to the garage and noted a 9 by 4 inch black scrape across the driver side back bumper. Some Moron side swiped my new car in the parking lot. It looked pretted bad, but I was able to clean it up to the point where if you didn't know where to look you would see it. After that happened I said F it, I am done. What happens happens, thats what I have insuarance for. Well ever since I that day, not a single thing has happened, not even a close call (knock on wood).

So like I said, just go ahead and bring some ball bearings with you the next you pick up your new car. Just before you pull out of the dealership, whip a few at your new car to get those first few dings, scrapes, and scatches out of the way. This will satisfy the car gods and all will be well.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:37 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry man.

It sucks.

But i think its time to get rid of it.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TL1999
Sorry man.

It sucks.

But i think its time to get rid of it.

I know the feelings sometimes, these thing own you not the other way around.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Did MA pass a law making it illegal to not clean the ice off your vehicle, resulting in up to 6 mo in jail if damage occurs to another vehicle due to negligence?

I was following traffic today, not very close since I was not in a hurry, when a huge slab came off the roof of a minivan. It floated in the air for at least 2-3 seconds before hitting the ground right in front of me. Happened twice in about 5 miles.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:25 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
You know....it wasnt until that past few years as I grow older that it really bothered me. But now I HATE the cold....body cant stand it and neither can my mind. I gotta get out of this place!
Old 02-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajdigerati
When you buy a new car, just go ahead and kick the door in or key the paint before you drive out of the steelership for the first time, just to satisfy the car gods. From my past experience, the more you try to protect your new vehicle the more $h!# happens to it.

For instance, I tried protecting my '06WDP TL for several week after picking it up from the Dealer last year. During the first few week, I had several close calls, paint chips, and had to have the windshield replace because a Friggin boulder flew up from behind another car and hit my WS.

Then one day the family and I went to the local Baby's R Us for some Toddler supplies. All seemed well. We went into the store got what we needed and drove home. I pulled in to our garage and went in the house. A couple of hours later I come out to the garage and noted a 9 by 4 inch black scrape across the driver side back bumper. Some Moron side swiped my new car in the parking lot. It looked pretted bad, but I was able to clean it up to the point where if you didn't know where to look you would see it. After that happened I said F it, I am done. What happens happens, thats what I have insuarance for. Well ever since I that day, not a single thing has happened, not even a close call (knock on wood).

So like I said, just go ahead and bring some ball bearings with you the next you pick up your new car. Just before you pull out of the dealership, whip a few at your new car to get those first few dings, scrapes, and scatches out of the way. This will satisfy the car gods and all will be well.
Wow, this place is depressing me. All thest TLs getting messed up.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:39 PM
04 WDP TL

I agree with MichaelBenz.....I no longer can stand cold weather! I relocated to the Northwest Indiana area from Cincinnati this past year and although its only about 250 miles apart it seems so much colder up here. Coldest winter I can remember in a long time. I am obsessed with washing/cleaning my car but it just can't be done in this type of weather. So depressing
Old 02-16-2007, 04:40 PM
SKW
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sclass88

Where on the North Shore are you located? We're having a meet on March 11th if you want to join us. A few of us are driving down from the area so let me know if you are interested in joining. It'd be nice to have a new TL-S there.
Not to threadjack but how often do you all meet? I'm planning on picking up a TL-S in early April. I'm in Boston and the closest WDP w/ ebony/silver int is in CT. Hopefully I can come to the next meet. GTdfthr, sorry to hear about your day. At least on the upside they can come to your house to replace your windshield.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Instructor

Geeze... I cringe every time I hear a story like that. I don't think I could handle having a nice car and having to go through the winter with it.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Blazin with your Moms in

Originally Posted by Handruin
Is it a big meet?
It can turn out that way. Last year I would say there were over 100 cars...

Originally Posted by SKW
Not to threadjack but how often do you all meet? I'm planning on picking up a TL-S in early April. I'm in Boston and the closest WDP w/ ebony/silver int is in CT. Hopefully I can come to the next meet. GTdfthr, sorry to hear about your day. At least on the upside they can come to your house to replace your windshield.
There are meets all the time in various locations. We try and make it to shows all over (CT, RI, NY, NJ, etc)

Check the Off Topics area of the forum for details.

and that Mass auto insurance covers windshields 100% with no deductable.
That is one good thing about MA insurance. Sorry to hear about your mishaps. You should still come to the meet. I remember last year Joe800855 (or something like that ) came with his entire dash ripped out due to his LED conversion.....

Stock, modded, or in between...just come!!!!

March 11th Mass Meet
Old 02-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by ggesq
i don't live in the NE but are truck drivers up there expected to clean the roofs off of their 18 wheelers?
No, we aren't !....Sorry..regardless of what part of the country were in, and I drive locally!.....it's just an act of "GOD"thatsnow is gonna fly off...!
Old 02-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Instructor

I live in harvard with my parents but I travel to Middleton everyday for work.
Don't know if I will be able to make it to the meet, winters are generally very busy for me at work especially the weekends, but I will try to make it out. Although I would hate to show up with a busted bumper.

Originally Posted by weedeater
Did MA pass a law making it illegal to not clean the ice off your vehicle, resulting in up to 6 mo in jail if damage occurs to another vehicle due to negligence?

I was following traffic today, not very close since I was not in a hurry, when a huge slab came off the roof of a minivan. It floated in the air for at least 2-3 seconds before hitting the ground right in front of me. Happened twice in about 5 miles.
I could be wrong but I believe that a law was passed last year stating that all snow and ice need to be removed before traveling. But I can't recall what the penalties or fines were for those situations. All I do know is that the state trooper never cited the driver and didn't even fill out an accident report. But that may have been because the only damage appeared to be the windshield.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:06 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by FLBusa
Geeze... I cringe every time I hear a story like that. I don't think I could handle having a nice car and having to go through the winter with it.
Check this....

Here is a view out my front window....notice the 7-8" tall snow mountain across the street....and they are talking 2-3 more inches by tomorrow...

Old 02-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I live in harvard with my parents but I travel to Middleton everyday for work.
Don't know if I will be able to make it to the meet, winters are generally very busy for me at work especially the weekends, but I will try to make it out. Although I would hate to show up with a busted bumper.
WOW, that is a hike and a half. I live in Lynnfield so I'm right near Middleton but Harvard is quite a drive.

My parents just picked me up at school for the long weekend and on the way home, an Expedition threw off a large chunk of ice that came straight at my mom's car. Thankfully, I was watching the road and swerved but I feel your pain!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Instructor

WOW, that is a hike and a half. I live in Lynnfield so I'm right near Middleton but Harvard is quite a drive.

My parents just picked me up at school for the long weekend and on the way home, an Expedition threw off a large chunk of ice that came straight at my mom's car. Thankfully, I was watching the road and swerved but I feel your pain!
Yeah the ride is an absolute bitch. It took me almost 2 hrs to get to work this morning because of all the accidents on both rt 2 and 495. Normal drive time is 45min. - 1 hr.

And it is really amazing how many people just don't give a damn. I saw on the news this morning pretty much the same thing that happened to me with the ice but this time it actually went through the windshield and came inches from hitting a little kid in the back seat.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:57 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
yea. snow sucks

TL = not bad in snow
Dropped TL = real bad

im scared to drive mine because of the ground clearance. a nice junk of ice in the road and there goes my a-spec kit!
Old 02-17-2007, 01:57 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
*chunk
Old 02-17-2007, 08:12 AM
07 NBP TL-S

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I felt that my first TL a 05 was cursed ...

My first TL was cursed too.

First, I got in to an accident that caused $17,000 + in damage; then, the day after I got it back from the shop the windshield was cracked by a rock from an eighteen-wheeler. Two days later I got a flat because I had a "Monopoly" game piece (the horse) stuck in my tire and it made the tire non-repairable. All of this with less than 3500 miles on the car. But all of that got me into my type S and I couldn't be happier.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Instructor

That really sucks man. If it makes you feel better, my 06 TL was on it's third rear bumper by the time it was 8 months old.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Racer

Don't ya just love Winter ?
Old 02-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Cruisin'

I'd rather risk driving the TL and enjoy the heated seats than take out my old Honda. The factory Michelins are great in the snow but I bet performance tires + drop = snowy disaster