Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first tech problem! BATTERY

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 04:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first tech problem! BATTERY

Well lately i have been having problems with starting my car.. When i get in and put the key in and turn the key.. i get nothing... no Juice? now what the f*ck is up with that? its been happening alot lately.. i have to keep trying.. and after like 5 times it finally juices up... I have been patient here never complaing about my car.. and ive seen alot of whiners around here complaining about the dumbest things possible... but this is a little extreme.. the last time this happened which was last night.. i went bowling... as i got in my car to go home.. i put the key in.. turned it.. NOTHING again.. and i thought it was going to be a quick little mess around with it a .. but i was stuck for 30 min!... finally after like 20 tries... it turns on...
Old 08-29-2004, 04:07 PM
loves his TL!

do you have a 6-speed and thick aftermarket floormats?? this used to happen to me a lot with my old Honda Civic. Apparantly, the thick aftermarket floormats was preventing the clutch from engaging all the way -- to the point that it doesnt activate the "start protection" (??) feature of the vehicle. hope this helps!
Old 08-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
This does not sound like a battery problem at all - go to the dealer, give them an opportunity to fix it, then consider posting your dissatisfaction.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Rage
go to the dealer, give them an opportunity to fix it, then consider posting your dissatisfaction.
A presupposition if ever I saw one. But statistically accurate, unfortunately.

Zero523-do your headlights shine brightly when this happens, and does the horn blow loudly? If so, it is probably not a battery problem, but something electrical or mechanical in the starting system.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Intermediate

I had a problem similar to this with my Grand Cherokee. I would have to turn the key 10 or 15 times before it would start. I thought it was a battery issue as well, even to the point of buying a new battery, but after a day with the new battery it started doing it again. Finally it stop turning altogether and I had it towed to the Jeep dealer. Turns out I had broken some of the tumblers in the cylinder. They replaced it and it never happened again. The service guy said that one of the causes of this is having a lot of stuff dangling from the key while it’s in the cylinder. Needless to say I now only have my house key and a tritium key chain hanging from my TL key everything else I keep on a different key chain.

When you take your TL in make sure they check that as well.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by Ron A
A presupposition if ever I saw one. But statistically accurate, unfortunately.

Zero523-do your headlights shine brightly when this happens, and does the horn blow loudly? If so, it is probably not a battery problem, but something electrical or mechanical in the starting system.
You missed my point - this is clearly not a battery issue - he should give the dealer a chance to fix it before boo-hooing on the Forum with ugly WTF expletives gratuitously added for dramatic effect. There are already too many who think a complex piece of machinery should have zero defects forever - the forum is cluttered with them, which is one reason i wish their was an Under the Hood section where those more interested in technical issues and performance improvements could lurk.

This is not extreme quality issue, and he should have taken the car in immediately, obtained a loaner, and then any issue of being marooned would be nulled - people need to be adult about these things, way too many wahwah posts IMHO. It is in the starting system, likely the immodbilizer - have you tried another key?
Old 08-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Ok. Maybe it's not you, but in the past, a guy ever thought his hard-to-start problem was the big disaster to him, but it turned out it's the regular issue and stated well in the owner manual.

I have to make sure your headlight and horn are all ok, right? This is not another so-called "ULEV" emission and start-up issue.

I ever saw someone started her car by turning the key for less than 1/3 second. This won't be easy to start this 04TL sometimes.

I could be wrong. But just want to make sure your headlight and horn showed you have adequate power and turned off your headlight and you did place your key at Ignition II for 3~5 seconds, then cranked it for at least 1 second... still nothing happened...

If so, it's time to see your dealer.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Advanced

You missed my point - this is clearly not a battery issue - he should give the dealer a chance to fix it before boo-hooing on the Forum with ugly WTF expletives gratuitously added for dramatic effect. There are already too many who think a complex piece of machinery should have zero defects forever - the forum is cluttered with them, which is one reason i wish their was an Under the Hood section where those more interested in technical issues and performance improvements could lurk.

This is not extreme quality issue, and he should have taken the car in immediately, obtained a loaner, and then any issue of being marooned would be nulled - people need to be adult about these things, way too many wahwah posts IMHO. It is in the starting system, likely the immodbilizer - have you tried another key?
oh im sorry Road Rage but read what i wrote again.. you must have not understood what i trying to say, first of all... Battery was an assumption, second of all you have no idea how much in a day i drive... so this could have been happening for hmm about 5 days? maybe less.. i was actually stating something that ive seen before here on these posts... ive heard from a couple of people having problems with starting their cars... Also.. i was actually ragging on the people who complain about stupid things.. hmm like "Squeeks" or "rattles", something that doesnt affect their daily lives, or stops them from getting to point B... But when your stuck at a place for 30 minutes.. at 1:00 AM and all you want to do is go home.. its really aggitating.. all i wanted to know is, if someone had the same problem... anyways.. im sorry you took it the wrong way, and thanks for nothing.. seriously you gave me useless info..
Old 08-30-2004, 07:32 PM
ABP Auditor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Next time try shifting out of park and into neutral and see if it starts there (assuming 5AT tranny). If so, it's the neutral safety switch that is bad. Should be a fairly easy fix at the dealer.

Good Luck.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zero523
.. and ive seen alot of whiners around here complaining about the dumbest things possible...
Would you mind clarifying that? I think anyone that spends $32k-$36k for a car has every right in the world to complain if things aren't right with the car. Like others have stated on here already though, is they should give the dealer the opportunity to make it right.
I'm sure everyone on here has things about the car they don't like or need to have looked at that they don't make public, myself included, but if they want to they let them.
Afterall, sometimes it helps find answers to things that others may be wondering about.
my .02
Old 08-30-2004, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My battery went intermittent on me a couple of weeks ago. It would work fine and then next time I tried to start, when I turned the key in the ignition, instant power failure - everything went dark. I left the engine runningc and called the dealer right away. They took me in within the hour and swapped out the battery - its worked fine ever since.

One thing I noticed on my 8500 with the display set to battery voltage was that it was jumping from 12V to 14.6V just at idle - no doubt a symptom of something not right with the battery.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Battery??

My battery completely died after 3 months of ownership. Called Proctor Acrua and they sent a flatbed to pick up my car to check everything out and replaced the battery at the dealership, no problems since.
Hope the problem is only your battery and not something more complicated..Good luck.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:31 PM
Not a Blowhole

zero523 - useless?

Was it i who named this thread: "My first tech problem! BATTERY"?

Did you get your car fixed or not? If so, fess up with what was wrong with it - did you try another key? Jeez, next time I will keep my advice to my lonesome.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:39 PM
Advanced

zero523 - useless?

Was it i who named this thread: "My first tech problem! BATTERY"?

Did you get your car fixed or not? If so, fess up with what was wrong with it - did you try another key? Jeez, next time I will keep my advice to my lonesome.
I'm not trying to be an ass here.. but come on man.. you did give me useless information... all i wanted to hear was, if anyone was having a similar problem.. not "take it to the dealer " obviously i was going to take it to the dealer.. its common sense.. but anyways.. I guess thanks for your input..
Oh and yes i took my car and so far its been ok.. they told me they did something with the battery.. and so far its been ok.. but i jsut got my car back today.. so i dont know..
ill inform you guys when i find out if its ok.. Thanks guys..
Old 08-31-2004, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zero523
ill inform you guys when i find out if its ok.. Thanks guys..
That would be nice.