3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MT OWNERS - Do you notice its tougher to shift smoother with A/C on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:12 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question MT OWNERS - Do you notice its tougher to shift smoother with A/C on?

hey guys

so I really only started noticing this recently, its been 13 months for my 'Ac and successfully switced to the GM Synchromesh stuff which works well, but I've realized that my shifting isn't as smooth with the A/C ON?!? does anyone else notice this? Its like the RPM's on the synchro's don't hold as long and/or the car is more jerky after I let go of the clutch to engage the gear...

but when I turn the A/C off, my shifting and jerkiness is gone!

anyone else notice?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Very simple reason for this anomaly. A/C compressors require engine power (as in torque) to operate. So what happens is if the compressor is operating while you are shifting, the engine is giving up a small amount of power to the compressor. When you let off the throttle between shifts, engine speed drops more quickly than normal so when you let your clutch out for the next higher gear, the engine has to be "pulled" up a bit by the drive wheels. The compressor just disrupts your shift timing and finesse.

The larger (displacement) the engine and the more torque available, the less you would notice this. The TL 196 CID engine is not a large displacement and does not produce a lot of torque.

Incidently, you will notice this most if while in the middle of a shift, the compressor cuts in.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:33 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Very simple reason for this anomaly. A/C compressors require engine power (as in torque) to operate. So what happens is if the compressor is operating while you are shifting, the engine is giving up a small amount of power to the compressor. When you let off the throttle between shifts, engine speed drops more quickly than normal so when you let your clutch out for the next higher gear, the engine has to be "pulled" up a bit by the drive wheels. The compressor just disrupts your shift timing and finesse.

The larger (displacement) the engine and the more torque available, the less you would notice this. The TL 196 CID engine is not a large displacement and does not produce a lot of torque.

Incidently, you will notice this most if while in the middle of a shift, the compressor cuts in.
That's why if anything goes wrong with my MT, I'm coming to VA to find ya SouthernBoy!!
Old 05-26-2007, 12:53 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude you're a genius
Old 05-26-2007, 01:01 PM
To punish and enslave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've noticed this too. I rarely use the A/C but when necessary, I know to adjust and shift faster than when A/C is off. It's kinda like learning the car again.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by darksom1
That's why if anything goes wrong with my MT, I'm coming to VA to find ya SouthernBoy!!
Uh-oh.. do I run now?

(heh, heh)
Old 05-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gauravp123
dude you're a genius
While I certainly thank you for the kind words, I hardly think my response qualifies as genius. However, I do hope it answers your question.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TL CHROMETIDE
It's kinda like learning the car again.
Amen.

Makes me a little nuts, too. I don't tend to use my A/C a lot since I love the warm weather and don't find it a concern. But when the wife and I go out for dinner or some other place in the summer (like vacation), I do use the A/C. And just as you said, it's almost like having to relearn some things again. Messes up my timing for sure.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

BTW. Please do come down to Virginia.. just for the beauty and pleasantry of the state. Very nice place to visit, as I'm sure you've been here many times before. Just don't use Northern Virginia as a base to form any opinions of Virginia. We natives know where the real Virginia lives.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

BTW. Please do come down to Virginia.. just for the beauty and pleasantry of the state. Very nice place to visit, as I'm sure you've been here many times before. Just don't use Northern Virginia as a base to form any opinions of Virginia. We natives know where the real Virginia lives.

I should add that I love the area of Maryland around the bay. I spent the summers of my early youth in Shady Side on the West River and dearly love the water areas of the state.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:02 PM
'05 6MT w/Nav A-Spec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah I know when I had a 70hp, 1.5L civic, I HATED driving with the a/c on, much less accelerating. I sure miss the 47mpg though....
Old 05-26-2007, 06:47 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My grille was born in Manassas, so that definitely makes it a good state...except for the troopers! For some un-Godly reason, they don't like it when you do 80 mph there!

I meant to answer this thread earlier but got sidetracked. I knew it was the compressor as well. I tell my gf all the time never to try to pull out of a parking lot, or make a left turn quickly before oncoming traffic with the AC on! I tell her just cut it off real temporarily if you need a burst, then cut it back on afterwards!