Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are mods really worth it? Something to get you thinking

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are mods really worth it? Something to get you thinking

Ok.. I'm hoping that this is generic enough that it can stay in the main forum instead of the mod subforum...

Before everyone gets ready to flame - let me at least say that I myself mod my vehicle for my own personal satisfaction, and any gains are just a bonus.

With that said, why exactly do people mod their cars? I am speaking more toward performance mods, but any would do.

The reasoning for me asking is this: Without dropping 5k into a S/C - the top of my head estimate for intake, headers, exhaust, and TB intake we'll say run around 2k give or take depending on your brand of choice. With the above mods (just a guess) we can pull an extra 15-25 horse.

Are the cars in our class (what I consider sport luxury) so close together that our cars are can be the fastest with the extra 20 horse? Or do we mod our cars for the pure rush of driving our own cars and feeling the upgrade in performance? I'm not much of a motor head, but if I had to guess - the list of cars that we race and lose to probably isn't going to change much with mods. (I am keeping in mind though there are people that have spent 5k+ on their cars and are getting substancial gains)

Maybe this whole thing could kind of be summed up by asking if we <performance> mod our cars for our self enjoyment, or if we enjoy whipping the asses of other cars that think they are fast.

Sorry for such a long rant. I was just kind of thinking to myself "If that guy has a stock TL - does that mean he is slow? If I buy an exhaust - does that make me fast?" Where does one draw the line and does anyone really care? I do - but what about the rest of us?

Ok.. I'm done. (damn... those Greddy exhausts are tempting... is it spring yet?)
Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Car Talk?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree w/ you. That's why my last car was a Z06.

I got tired of modding cars just to make them fast but in doing so making them unreliable as well. Why not just start w/ a fast car.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:00 PM
I'M BACK!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ ahh yes the whole problems with mods, i feel ya, i personally keep it simple, intake, pulleys, spacer. and im happy. no need to be speeding down the highway..plus one know what they can and cant beat. and those who beat us already know they can. so we have nothing to prove. i mod/have modded cars for my own enjoyment and nothing more. just my
Old 01-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dope!
^^ ahh yes the whole problems with mods, i feel ya, i personally keep it simple, intake, pulleys, spacer. and im happy. no need to be speeding down the highway..plus one know what they can and cant beat. and those who beat us already know they can. so we have nothing to prove. i mod/have modded cars for my own enjoyment and nothing more. just my
I see it like this… If you can enjoy modding your car, and can afford to do so, then go ahead..

Just don’t don’t expect to get they money that you put into modding the car back when you sell it.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:19 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ..Mark..
I see it like this… If you can enjoy modding your car, and can afford to do so, then go ahead..

Just don’t don’t expect to get they money that you put into modding the car back when you sell it.
I keep all my stock parts and DIY... and almost always get 70% of the investment back by reselling the mod parts used. Sometime I actually make a profit buying a lightlys used mod, mildly improving it, using it, then reselling at trade/sale time.

Yes, modding is a terrible investment, but hobbies are generally of that nature... but it's not ALL sunk cost, an dto me, it's about what makes you happy. Motorheading and bustin knuckles makes me happy.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
People buy performance parts, not because they need them, but because they want them. It is a way of making your TL different from every other TL or have more HP/TQ or have a better appearance.

As Kennedy said too it is a hobby. People enjoying modifying their car, whether they install the parts themselves or someone else does. It isn't really an investment although you can generally get about 50% back if you bought the parts new or more as Kennedy said if you buy them used. I spent about $30k on my turbo Acord over the course of about 6 years but I worked part time while going to college full time and paid for all my own mods and started learning how to install them too. It gave me a sense of satisfaction. And it was better than doing drugs or drinking booze everday like a lot of other young kids did.

However to each his own. If you don't want to mod then don't do it but don't rain on other people's parade b/c not everyone can afford a Z06. And even then we have modded Z06's for customers.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Racer

Excelerate and Kennedy make very good points......couldn't of said it better myself..

I'm a noob at modding, after finding this awesome forum and looking at everyone's TL's and TL-S's and how unique they were making them.......I caught the Mod fever as well........
So my modding is for me and to make my TL (even if just a little bit) different from everyone else's.......
Old 01-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Racer

It's not always about racing other cars. Regardless of the outcome. It's taking a great car and tailoring it to your tastes. Yes the TL is a quick car. Some people just like to add minor improvements to the performance and to the looks of their car. Not sure how much will be done to my TL-S, but wheels are a definate.

I personally had had an 2003 Mustang Cobra. I spent a load of money on that car(complete exhaust, smaller blower pulley, cold air kit, completely re-done suspension, etc...) And for what people always asked. I can't do the work myself, but I wanted MY car that way. It came with tons of performance, but I wanted more.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Old 01-08-2008, 02:09 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
I mod because i hope to spank some unsuspecting jerks ass one day...on a track though. im scared to speed on regular streets.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
for me it is a pure hobby.

I enjoy buying parts and installing them my self, it gives me the satisfaction of looking back and enjoying something I did.

However, this is a very expensive hobby...

I just got my 08 TLS, and I'm not planning on doing any performance mods just yet, i'll stick to a drop,rim,kit...and cosmetic stuff......right.....yeah...i'll be modding, lol.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Instructor

I agree with everyone else so far. I like to mod my cars b/c I like to tinker on them.

My wife and I roadrace motorcycles. Last year we spent around 25K on racing and we only got about 3k back in earnings. We definatly don't do it for the money.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 PM
i am so smart S M R T

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ..Mark..
I agree w/ you. That's why my last car was a Z06.

I got tired of modding cars just to make them fast but in doing so making them unreliable as well. Why not just start w/ a fast car.
i thought about getting a faster car (like an s4) and not modding it , but i know i would end up modding whatever car i own
Old 01-08-2008, 02:35 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Keep in mind that some mods aren't for performance. In many ways they are simply our attempts at taking the production car and making it more like it "should have been done at the factory". In the case of tha standard TL, that might be a slight height adjustment (Springs meet that objective but others can carry it to extremes with coil overs for additional cost). True, they can effect performance but much of that is simply ride height. Others may want a front end that doesn't even look like a normal TL so that people on the street go "What was THAT?" Maybe a Ronjon front end with all the Acura embles taken off. I've seen some nicely done 'cosmetic" mods.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

I'm glad that everyone seems to agree. I thought for sure I'd catch some flames for second guessing mods in general.

I've only put the K&N CAI on mine so far, but I think spring will bring exhaust and stock size UR pulleys (not 100% on the bandwagon about how safe underdrives are for our computers-on-wheels)

So it seems official (and almost a suprise to me in a way) - Mod for looks and just because. Doesn't appear that anyone is trying to convince me of the "racecar" that they drive because of bolt-ons.

I think it's awesome that we have a forum like this. I don't know if it's the car, or the people - but I can say I have never looked for an Expedition forum. Now.... everyone give me $10 to help pay for all this stuff since these mod ideas were sparked by you. (Is now the appropriate time to pull the peer pressure card?)
Old 01-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01clsstock
i thought about getting a faster car (like an s4) and not modding it , but i know i would end up modding whatever car i own

I'm the same way but w/ a car like an S4 all i would do is an intake, exhaust, ecu, springs and rims..

In the past w/ my DSM and 300ZX TT i did turbo upgrades, fuel delivery upgrades, clutches and flywheels etc.. They got out of hand quick.. Once you start doing all that stuff you run into reliability and or drivablility issues.

I got into my TL cause i got into it for cash after selling the vette. Its a great car for the money but i miss having a fast RWD/AWD car. Once i get a couple of unexpected bills paid off i will probably unload it and pick up a S4, E55, STS-V, CTS-V or somthing similar.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
I think the whole modding thing comes down to two or three primary drivers.

1.) The desire to be an individual. To things to our cars to make them ours; customization.

2.) Sense of accomplishment. To look back on what we have done, know that it was done well and achieved to one extent or another a sense of self satisfaction.

3.) Speed. To go faster - or maybe more accurately, to know we have the ability to go faster. As mentioned above, for many this is a "bonus", but it's always in the back of your mind.

For me - it's a hobby, plain and simple. A way to learn and do something new that is not very important on a day-to-day basis.

On my most ambitious days, I don't expect to track, auto-cross or 1/4 mile this car more than a couple of times a year. But if/when I do, it's good that it is a little more capable because of work I've done.

Sometimes I do wonder "What the hell are you doing? You're not 20 years old anymore, get over it. It's stupid to spend the time and money for no good reason." Then I'll think, "Isn't the challange and enjoyment, by themselves, reason enough?", because if it's not that's when you should stop.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
I bought the TL to get modding out of my system, if not reduce it dramatically. its like a crack habit, and Ive been addicted for a good 8 years. thank god ive never gotten in trouble with speed/speeding, and i figured it was better to nip it at the bud than drive around on the temptation itself. I came from the Evo community. that alone is a drug in itself.

that said, the ink was barely dry on my TL's contract when I first started modding it - even though I just upgraded the foglights (to super whites). everything is purely cosmetic so far, save for the wheels/tires. i opted to reduce weight and increase grip - hence lighter wheels and stickier tires.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Race Director

Well mods are worth it depending on what your looking for. If your looking to make your car fit your needs then its worth it but if your looking to make a profit when you sell the car forget it.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

My only mod on my '07 TL-S will be to move the battery to the trunk for better weight transfer, and to add a K&N CAI when they get off their butts and make one. I won't be installing them, but will have someone like Jeg's do the work for me.
I used to perform the mods myself, but today's machines are much harder to work on, and I am getting older(in some ways ) My years of experience also tells me that I need to be very selective on what mods I perform. The Acuras are made right the first time, and most mods are a waste of time and money, because they really don't IMPROVE anything! There is always a corresponding negative/compromise.
I plan on keeping this '07 a really long time, and IMO, it is the best looking and most comfortable, with all the performance I need (almost)
My goal at this point is to see how many miles I can get out of her
Old 01-08-2008, 03:57 PM
TL-S BeASt

Modding - I had a modded 00' accord coupe and honestly I bought the TL-S so I didnt have to mod, but now that I have one I will drop it, bodykit, and rims. Prob as far as I go unless they come out with a S/C for the tl-s.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:58 PM
TL-S BeASt

also hopefully someone makes a f*cking front lipkit for TL-s ASAP........lol...sorry...just had to get that out!
Old 01-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Team Nighthawk member

Working on the car is a stress reliever for me.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I mod to make my car differ from the other umpteen million SSM TL's on the road. Do I care if I will get all that back in 4 years no. Will I try to part my car out, no. I will trade it in for what they offer me. And start this all over on my next car.

My hobby is being a anal detailer. No one has seen my car dirty or ever will.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Wish it was dropped.....

my 2 cents....im a young guy. did the whole stereo thing $3000 did the chrome rims another $2000. now that i put in my CAI and pulled the stereo out of the trunk (MAJOR water leak)....im on to modding my baby! im not by any means going to go to the track but i can always use more speed. its just so much fun to "race" someone in like a mustang or equivilant and beat them with a 4 door sport luxury..
Old 01-08-2008, 06:26 PM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beside the fact I love cars, I also hate pulling up to a light and looking over and see the EXACT SAME car. I have to add a touch of buzz to all my cars.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:58 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Modding or cars is our hobby and it can understandably be illogical to most people. They don't get it. They say "but it's just a car....and you spend so much time and money on it. You could direct all that money, time and energy elsewhere." Yes that's true. But then we wouldn't be enjoying life to the fullest and merely existing, not truly living in passion the way we want. To them a car is a point A to B appliance. OK enough about getting deep here:

I got beat up last time I talked about modding so I won't say much except to say this:

Think of any logical reasoning as to why we mod our cars. Chances are this is the secondary reason why we do this. Logical meaning "we want our car to be faster" etc.

Most likely the primary reason we do this is purely illogical. Illogical meaning "because we are addicted to cars", "we want to take on a challenging project and feel the satisfaction of a mission complete", "because we want to be unique", "we want street credibility", "we want to show off and get attention", "we want our car to look good", "we want the car to sound good", "we want a chick magnet", "we want to take our car 1 step further than the designers and engineers intended", "because we make money and we can"

As far as starting from a fast platform I think it is just fine to squeeze a few HP out of this car. The car is pretty fast to start with. It's not like we are going crazy like some kids with Civics bragging about 200hp and then watching as stock Passats and Impalas blow them away. With minor work are cars are just as fast or faster than the competition, and remain dependable. You don't need to go crazy with performance mods. How fast do you really want to go on a public road anyway? I usually run out of road by the time my car is romping.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:07 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

I guess you could equate modding cars to buying them. If all you WANTED was transportation that could get you to and from your destinations, everybody would buy cheap POS vehicles. No, you buy the vehicle you WANT, not necessarily one that your NEED. Same thing with mods, nobody NEEDS to modify a car but many WANT to. My wife tells me that I am old enough that my wants won't kill me....she wants that job to herself...
Old 01-08-2008, 10:07 PM
acura-cl.com OG

i have sunk alot of money (imo) into my TL, prob around the $4000-5000 mark. Now that I bought a house and got engaged, man i wish i had that money back.

also, from now on.....no modding. i will spend the money up front buy a nicer faster car that doesn't need the mods and be happy. you will get a much better return on your investment if you buy a nicer car from the beginning instead of buying mods.

maybe i matured, but my perspective on money/investments changed the moment i made that first mortgage payment.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

it's a hobby, but it really depends on your priority.

IMO, it's something you enjoy doing, and everybody has his/hers own style; otherwise, you wouldn't be modding at all.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Hobby for me as well. Ive modded every vehicle Ive ever owned.

Plus as far as the TL goes, I love it when Im at a gas station near another TL and the guy is just staring at mine wondering what the hell kinda options did he miss out on..
Old 01-09-2008, 07:45 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by lembowski
I mod to make my car differ from the other umpteen million SSM TL's on the road. Do I care if I will get all that back in 4 years no. Will I try to part my car out, no. I will trade it in for what they offer me. And start this all over on my next car.

My hobby is being a anal detailer. No one has seen my car dirty or ever will.
Whatever, it's probably dirty right now!

I mod for that dude last night that walked across the street in front of my car with a "WTF??!!" look of amazement on his face and pointing at my front end to his boy like Damn!! And for the smiles I get from the ladies when I pull up to the front of my local sandwich place and I get that "I really like your car!" compliment as I approach. Or for my daughter who can't stop smiling when I roll up looking "Big Poppa"!! I also mod for the AZ member who just bought NBP and want's to be down like me! But do you wanna really know who I mod for? I mod for that dude who clicks on the AZ link, goes to a thread, and sees me "G'd up from the concrete up" in my NBP beast...and says FUCK!...cuz he realizes that he should have left that damn WDP on da lot!

"Dude"...I'm moddin' for you kid!
Old 01-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by darksom1
Whatever, it's probably dirty right now!
Funny thing is I washed her yesterday only to park outside at my girls last night so she was covered in dew this morning. Had to wiper down with the WW and re-speed shine

Thats what I did at 6:30 am today
Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Are mods worth it??

IDK, is Bush really retarted?
Old 01-09-2008, 12:15 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
hahaha darky, thank God I am anthracite!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by MaFreCoLa
Working on the car is a stress reliever for me.
where as most of the time this is the case for me... unless i come to a hurdle then it creates stress but the overall idea is there... some people like to gamble, drink, go to strip bars... i spend money on the car...

don't forget there are also convenience mods... auto starter alarm... and a CAI i also look for convenience... i can resue the filter by just washing it... instead of having to buy a new one every time... if i can gain a few ponies out of that, then its a bonus...
Old 01-09-2008, 12:37 PM
LyfeIs what you make it!

I lease all my vehicles so the modding has to be kept to a minimum. However, even if my cars weren’t leased I wouldn’t want to over do it. Especially since I'm now leaning in the luxury car segment.

I do want to get a CAI installed and depending on whether I stay with this TL for the whole term of the lease, maybe some RJ wheels.