Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

licesne plate fee

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
licesne plate fee

I purchased and took delivery of my 05TL a couple weeks ago. They gave me a temporary plate which expired yesterday. I called a couple times in the past few days to find out where my plate was...

On monday the business manager called me and said it was there to pickup (they were supposed to mail it to me). He said ok, I will put it in the mail.

Today I call back, and my sales person says that the plate is sitting in her office and that they need a check from me for the plate. ($181 or something)

Should I be paying this fee? I don't think I should - it's deffinately not my fault they either forgot to charge me or god only knows what on earth the idiots are thinking.

I don't have my paperwork infront of me to see the charges....

Strike two for this dealer - (after inspecting the car, before signing the papers, my trunk tray WAS in the TL, when I got home...it was missing - I called and she said, oh its in my office, sorry about that.... my question about this is, WHY the hell would you take it out of the car?)

These people of course want all 5's on the sales survey I will rcv in the mail. HA
Old 12-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is werid. I don't have any paperwork with me to look at as well. After a few days of picking up my car, the dealer called me to say my plates where in. All I did was go up there and picked them up, didn't pay anything else at the time.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Look through your original paperwork to see if the fee had already been charged. If so, then they definitely don't have a reason to be asking for more money. If not, then tell them they it is their mistake for not charging the license fee and that you should not be required to pay more money. Sounds like extortion if you ask me.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Systems Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In NY they put the plates directly on the car (they keep plates at the dealerships). The charge for the registration was definately on my paperwork. Look at your paperwork to see if they already charged you. $181 seems like a large amount of money to register a car though. As for giving them 5's on their survey, I wouldn't unless you plan to go back to them for any kind of warrenty work. Acura tells them what each buyer gives them. One of my coworkers was called by the dealership he purchased from and was questioned why he didn't give them all 5's.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:46 PM
Intermediate

They are trying to mess with you. DON'T pay them anything more.

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Your dealer is shady, time to find a new one.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Yea, they are shady. lol. I bought my TSX and TL from them... I do service at the dealer just down the street from me (different dealer of course)

Here is my letter in progress... give me suggestions if you have any:

12/15/2004

Re: 2005 Acura TL purchase from Ann Arbor Acura

To Whom It May Concern:

I recently purchased a 2005 TL from Ann Arbor Acura. My salesperson was extremely patient and helpful throughout the process. Prior to signing any paperwork I drove the vehicle and inspected it for any damage or problems. At this time, the trunk tray that was part of the package was in the vehicle. After I signed the paperwork and drove home, I found that this tray was missing. I called and was told, “Sorry about that, you can come pick it up.” I was willing to accept this issue and not worry about it; however, with the numerous other problems that have arisen since then, I am compelled to send this letter. I am curious as to why an item I paid for was removed from my vehicle without notification. There is no obvious reason for this to have happened. I did not want to drive back to Ann Arbor (45 minute drive each way) to pickup an item which should have been in my vehicle when I left.

Also, during delivery I had requested that the business manager to mail the license plates to me. He said this would not be a problem. I noticed my temporary place was going to expire 12/14/2004 so I called the previous weekend asking about the plate. Monday morning (the 13th) the manager calls back and says oh, we didn’t mail it you can come pick it up. I explained and requested again that the plate was supposed to be sent to me via the mail. Today, because I had not received the plate, I called my sales representative. She returned my phone call almost immediately telling me that I now owed the dealership a little over one hundred and eighty dollars for the plate. To my knowledge any fees are put into the sales contract. I have never had an incident like this with any previous car purchase.

I will be at Ann Arbor Acura Saturday, December 18th to pickup the missing coin holder and trunk tray. If I have not received the license plate by then, I will pick this up also. I will not make any further payments to Ann Arbor Acura for this vehicle.

I have also had a couple other issues with the vehicle since taking delivery; the headliner has fallen down (which was a common problem with the 2004 TL). I would have hoped Acura would have made repairs or upgrades to the new model year in order to prevent this problem. I also have had rattles in the headliner and the center dash. I will be having Suburban Acura in Farmington Hills repair these issues at the same time the A-spec package is installed. These problems are unacceptable by any standards in any vehicle whether it be an Acura or Kia.

I had also requested, from the Business Manager, a simple form to cancel the GAP insurance on our previous vehicle, the Acura TSX, and I have yet to receive this letter. I was told twice that it was faxed to me – yet I have not seen it. I have also requested that this form is kept at the dealership for when I arrive on 12/18/2004.

I am extremely unhappy with the level of service I have received at this dealership and I cannot hold them responsible for the fallen headliner and rattle; however, I can hold them responsible for the license plate and what I would classify as theft from my vehicle.

I am aware that a sales survey will be sent to me from Acura and/or various other organizations to question how the sales process went from American Honda and reliability rating surveys from companies such as J.D. Power & Associates. If these issues are resolved before I receive the surveys, the dealership will likely receive positive marks. If, however, these issues are not resolved to my full satisfaction, I will not lie on the surveys, and I will express my concerns on the vehicle.

As of this time, this letter has only been sent to Ann Arbor Acura as an opportunity to resolve the issues. If the issues are not resolved, I will forward a copy of this letter to American Honda Consumer Affairs Division.

Best Regards,
Old 12-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

As a greedy person I should demand they give me something free for all the inconvienence (did i spell that right? sorry ive had 3 hours of sleep over the last 3 days lol)... but im not sure that i even deserve something extra out of them... hmm oh well, i will refuse to pay them anymore , even if my paperwork doesnt say it
Old 12-15-2004, 03:13 PM
Instructor

ASPEC kit
Old 12-15-2004, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

lol i hve the aspec kit at my house...waiting for install
Old 12-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Ok, I checked my sales contract - it seems that they did NOT charge me for a new plate but for transferring a plate.... i guess imc onfused as to why on earth they would order a plate then? and why i had to call 4 times to find out where the hell it is, and only then them telling me i have to pay...

should i refuse to pay? do i just pay it? what do i do?
Old 12-15-2004, 09:16 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Sorry but I think you are kind of 'pissing in the wind'.

Very little will be perfect including new houses, no matter how much you pay for them. Expect the excuse of an honest mistake regarding the trunk tray, it may have been. You also have to take an approach of 'let the buyer beware'. Read your contract to see exactly what you paid for including the sales tax and license fee or whatever. DO NOT withold payment that will almost immediately appear on your credit report. This is not a good idea. Help the system work for you by talking to the proper people in a not confrontational way and give them a chance to make things right. I really don't mean to leacture, guess it comes natural and I hate to see people make mistakes that can be avoided.

Your purchase was very special to you, less so to them. It may be a lousy dealership but you chose them. Best wishes with your new car.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Pro

Your in a hard spot. My plates cost around $400 because the registration tax is based on vehicle value. So, this could be an appropriate amount.

However, they should have charged you any and all license fees a the time you bought the car. I would not pay them any more money. But then again, I have an extra car I can drive until the dispute would be cleared up.

Here is what I would do, call the DMV/DOT/whatever and find out if the car is properly registered to you and your financial institution and what your plate is supposed to be. If the dealership actually has your plates, I suspect they cannot withold them from you. If after nicely talking to the GM about getting your plates, my next call would be the state attorney generals office.

They will assist you in working with mediating your situation and I have had better luck with them than anyone else. Plus, if the issue goes unsolved and a law has been broken, they will forward your case to the county prosecutor to file charges. If they get a lot of complaints about this delership, they may launch a formal investigation which is why the dealership is apt to work with them.

Next if it takes a while, I would sue them in small claims court for loss of use of the vehicle. Particularly if you have a lease, I'd go after the payments. It would be a reach to win, but at that point I would be as thorny as possible.

Good luck, and I wouldn't do any more buisiness of any kind with that dealership.

Perhaps this forum should have a consolidated black list of shady dealers. It might make them reconsider their buisiness practices to know that their misdealings will be made public and accesible in a database.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:34 AM
Suzuka Master

hypertech: First, I agree about the blacklist for shady dealers!

I was actually thinking that if they do not work this issue out, I will contact American Honda and our Sec of State (DMV) - if it is registered, can't I simply say my plates never showed up? They will probably issue new ones...right? And they are already paid for - by the dealer.

If my dealer does not clear it up today, yes, I will indeed contact Amer. Honda and my Attorney General's office.

I will continue driving my vehicle, as it is the only one I have, should I get a ticket, I already notified my dealer that I would pass the costs on to them, and should I rcv any points for it I will take more sever action.

Thanks for your help. Pts for you
Old 12-16-2004, 07:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MR1
Sorry but I think you are kind of 'pissing in the wind'.

Very little will be perfect including new houses, no matter how much you pay for them. Expect the excuse of an honest mistake regarding the trunk tray, it may have been. You also have to take an approach of 'let the buyer beware'. Read your contract to see exactly what you paid for including the sales tax and license fee or whatever. DO NOT withold payment that will almost immediately appear on your credit report. This is not a good idea. Help the system work for you by talking to the proper people in a not confrontational way and give them a chance to make things right. I really don't mean to leacture, guess it comes natural and I hate to see people make mistakes that can be avoided.

Your purchase was very special to you, less so to them. It may be a lousy dealership but you chose them. Best wishes with your new car.

I agree, very little will be perfect, but why would they be so stupid as to not notify me that I owe them money after I spoke to them several times about the plates? Although technically it seems I do owe money for the plates, it is now the principal behind the issue.

Witholding payment from the dealer will not appear on my credit report. They want me to give them a check for the plate - not for the loan. Only American Honda FInance can issue bad credit rating, I am deffinately not stupid enough to withold payment from them. If they managed to report bad credit I would deffinately file a lawsuit against them and all holy hell would break loose .

As far as talking to dealers (especiall this one) without being forthright and telling them my intentions of taking the issue farther, that simply is something people cannot do. Most dealers don't care about you once you sign the papers, you have NO option but to go after them with any and all means if they are screwing you. This dealer in particular is terrible. I have rcvd several PMs asking me why I went to this dealer because everybody knows they are full of shit.

Infact, last night, my sales rep called me on her way home to tell me that she would sort the issue out in the morning and that it would not have to escalate farther up the ladder beyond the sales manager. Apparently the business manager is new at the dealer and is having some problems. (He also had his third baby a couple days go, who is a premi and not doing well so he has not been in the office). Aside from the personal issue, the bus manager does not know everything yet, so morally I have to cut him a little slack.

She (my sales rep) told me that if she had made enough comission to cover the plates she would have done so (and surprisingly, I honestly believe her). I paid $32,873 for the car, which is not a whole lot above invoice - so I can see her comission being small (which she said was $100-taxes)

Either way, I hope the issue IS resolved today, and if it is I will be happy camper.

I had mentioned to them several times that the survey I would be sent from acura would be filled out honestly (which in this case is not such a good thing for the dealer); however, this survey reflects ONLY on the sales person, and I thought she was pretty damn good - patient, helpful, willing to spend the time with me - so that survey will deffinately have excellent ratins for her. On the other hand, I made it clear to them that if the issue is not resolved to my satisfaction, I will send a seperate letter to American Honda notifying them of this issue.

Thanks for your comments though!
Old 12-16-2004, 12:02 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Sorry, misread what you weren't going to pay for. Glad someone is talking to you about the plates. Hope you get all issues resolved to your satisfaction.

My post was to suggest that you not start a world war over initial small items and realtively minor issues that can be easily fixed.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:04 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
well I just renewed the lic plate for 2005 and DMV charged me $254

and plus I have personalized plate.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Suzuka Master

They called me this morning. They are sending my plates via FedEX at no additional cost to me.

I would have paid the money IF they had called me to tell me they made an error BEFORE I had called them several times, and BEFORE my temp. plate expired.

On the bright side of things, my car is at a different dealer getting a-spec installed.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:30 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
They called me this morning. They are sending my plates via FedEX at no additional cost to me.

I would have paid the money IF they had called me to tell me they made an error BEFORE I had called them several times, and BEFORE my temp. plate expired.

On the bright side of things, my car is at a different dealer getting a-spec installed.

Glad it worked out for the right price. You didn't have to send the letter did you?
Old 12-16-2004, 11:36 PM
Suzuka Master

The letter = yes, but only to the dealer.