3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Blue Door/White Dome Lights Mod???!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have any advice for getting the license plate light back in through the trim? I took it out from "outside" and changed the bulb to a white 6-LED and made sure it worked, but haven't been able to put it back in.

If the PIAA bulbs for the backing lights show up soon, I'll just go in from the inside to do the second one and those.

In the mean time, I'd sure like to get it back together!

Right now I have white 6-LED bulbs in the front of the cabin, and white 4-LED bulbs in the back. I ordered the white 9-LED bulbs from Tec_Toys - with the ebony interior, I think the 9s will be better.

The blue 6-LED bulbs in the doors look sweet. I'll try the blue 9-LED bulbs, but I'm not sure they'll be necessary.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:53 PM
10th Gear

PeterGrant,
I had the same issue trying to put license plate's light socket back in. Try this: slide the front edge first(the edge towards the front of the car). it might take a litte more force, but don't jam it too hard. after front edge slides in, do the back edge.

hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:19 AM
PTN
Instructor

Originally Posted by PTN
i haven't actually seen the bulb that you are referring to but as far as bulb style numbers go... a 921 style bulb is what's used in the TL's reverse lights. it is a bigger bulb with a round base that has tabs on the end to allow it to seat into the socket when twisted in. it is not a wedge style bulb like the 194 is.

maybe what they are talking about is something completely different, i don't know, but i am sure of the above bulb style descriptions.
well i was so sure here, and when i went to confirm on my own car, guess what Wrong Wrong Wrong... . i apologize for posting incorrect info. the 921 IS indeed a wedge style bulb. i have no idea why i thought it wasn't.

again, sorry for any confussion i may have caused. i have PM'd those who questioned my posts on this. gotta do the right thing ya know.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:47 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Bump for the newbs

READ the entire thread before asking any questions.
Lots of good information.

Before you go asking for pics, look at the top of this page (13) for a post by me. I did alot of the work for you including pics on where to stick your screwdriver to pop the covers out.

PS: HERE is a thread I just posted in with a pretty complete write up on Side Marker mods. As stated in that thread, I will do a more formal write up with pictures when I do my second Side Marker.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:15 PM
Cruisin'

I have 9bulb leds from superbrightleds.com in my domes (white) and doors (blue). I like the white of the leds much more than the stock, yellowish bulbs. They have a clean and slightly blue tint to them. The blue in the doors really compliment the stock blue accent lights. I have the single-led bulbs (white) for the glovebox and center console lights, but haven't figured out how to get the stock bulbs out yet.

Check out this thread for before and after pics -> https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/what-do-you-guys-think-about-her-109000/
Old 03-01-2005, 01:18 AM
Racer

I have the 9 LED bulbs, and Super white 9 LED inside. First, I thought that it was gonna be stupid, but after the mod I really love it. everyone loves the color combo.

Blue door light kinda gets you ready for the inside blue lights when you open the door.
Super white inside is A+ light choice.

I got it from tec-toyz.com off eBay. Good luck
Old 03-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blue or White inside?

I just placed my order trusting ALL of you posters on this thread!!!

PRODUCT INFORMATION--

Quantity: 6
Product: WLED-6 LED bulb $ 2.99 (each)
Options: White 0.65

Quantity: 6
Product: WLED-6 LED bulb $ 2.99 (each)
Options: Blue 0.50

I ordered extras to try the blue for the dome to see if I like it or not. If not, I'll go with the white and the rest are backups for $3 a pop.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, so the door install was literally 3 minutes, maybe 2 minutes per door. Very easy. And they look great! (WLED-6 Blue).

As everyone has pointed out, the front domes take some time to work out. I was unable to wiggle them out by hand after about 5 minutes each. To coax them, I took a piece of string, wrapped it twice around the back along the bulb by the socket and pulled it horizontally towards the back of the car. It only took 2 tries each - one time the bulb bounced around the cabin after the extraction (kinda like removing a tooth). I installed the WLED-6 Blue to see what they look like. So far, they look great and are excellent for mood lighting and reading. They don't seem like they place too much blue light in the cabin and they add a nice compliment to the other blue highlights in the car. I'll leave them in for awhile and if I don't like them, I will swap with WLED-6 Whites.

I tried the rear domes and was not able to get them out. Any tips? The string trick won't work since they face downward.

Also, I am thinking about putting the WLED-6 Whites in the lights behind the visor. Anyone tried this?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:27 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with PIAA blue LEDs in the doors, but PIAA platinum super whites in the domes (F&R). I tried white LEDs in the domes, but IMHO it made my camel interior look very 'sterile'... Very cold and uninviting. And because of the way the bulbs are mounted in the front domes, it does not effectively distribute the light. So I took one of the white LEDs and replaced the bulb in the trunk... Merely for appearance, as the placement of the light (even with the stcok bulb) doesn't light up the trunk at all.

Originally Posted by TerminaderTL
Also, I am thinking about putting the WLED-6 Whites in the lights behind the visor. Anyone tried this?
I tried removing the cover for the vanity lights, but it looks like they are attached directly to the headliner. Since I have read a few posts were people had rattles in the headliner, I decided not to go any further.

If anyone has done this mod without acquiring any 'new' rattles, please let us know!!

If anyone has done this, I think I will stick with the PIAA Platinum Super Whites rather than LEDs!!!
Old 07-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Intermediate

How do you remove the Glove box light and the console light, i couldnt see how to do them, any instructions would be beneficial!
Old 07-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by gb23278
How do you remove the Glove box light and the console light, i couldnt see how to do them, any instructions would be beneficial!
I replaced the glove box light with a blue LED , but left the stock bulb in the center armrest console.

The glove box and console lenses just pop right out, but the lens is also attached to the 'cap' that covers up the bulb. The glove box light wiring is much more forgiving and provides more slack to work in such a tight area.

- The lens and cap housing are shaped like this .... /| (kinda like 1/2 a triangle). Twist the entire housing to expose the bulb. Be sure not to pull the lens off. It's not supposed to come off, but if it does pop off accidentally, Superglue is your friend!!! (Been there.... )

- Replace the bulb with the color of your choosing, then reverse the steps to re-install.

A word of caution.... I picked up a replacement acrylic LED for my glove box online, but it was slightly longer than stock, enough so that I couldn't fit the lens housing back around the bulb without hitting the lens...... Since it was acrylic and I thought it was pointless to return ship one bulb (it would have cost me more to ship out than what I paid for it), I filed down the tip of the bulb until I was able to get the cap and lens back on securely. It does not take away from the amount of light or come even close to the element inside the bulb so it worked like a charm.

Good luck!!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:05 PM
Cruisin'

Trunk Bulb

Can someone post driections on how to remove the trunk lid? I've went through the entire thread and no one has posted the directions.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Certified Hater

check this thread mngo: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=license
Old 11-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Iceman23
Thanks for the link Iceman23. I was actually playing around with the trunk lid over the weekend. I realized the lid came off easily if you take a butter knife and pry it from the right hand side. Notice the LED was not pointing downward, did not give off to much lighting. I used tin-foil to reflect the LED rays downward.

Has anyone used the High Intensity Super LED from PIAA for their License plate? I installed the WLED 6 white for my license. Looks great, but not as bright as I was hoping for.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:43 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
ok so what are teh part numbers for dome and doors?

I can't find them on teh site.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:47 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Teh Jatt
ok so what are teh part numbers for dome and doors?

I can't find them on teh site.
Domes: WLED 4W or 6 (I went with the 4 and so did a lot of others).
Doors: WLED 6B
Old 11-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Banned

i got the 9LED for the domes/doors and love them

no problems during install or with the lights themself
Old 11-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Racer

shit...i isntaleld the door lights in elss then 10 seconds...no problem; the front dome lights are giving me a problem. i already smashed one from squeezing it too hard after trying ot pull it out for 30 minutes...now how the hell as i suppsoed to get broken buld out of the socket?
Old 11-20-2005, 10:31 PM
Instructor

ive read everything, but could still not find an anwser
Glove box light number? is it the same as the domes?
Center console light number? is it the same or no?
Old 12-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bollywood21
I think the doors look sharp. Nice idea you picked up.
I won't be swapping the dome light for me, only the door lights.
Hey how did you hard wire the radar detector? .. .that's a cool mod. Please post instructions. and or pics if you can.

great job
Old 07-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
OK, so how do you replace the interior ambient light that shines down above the cup holder? I'm talking about the small light that is up near the Homelink transmitter, and in between the left and right front dome map lights. It shines down on the shifter and the cup holder in the 2004 Honda Accord EX V6 and possibly Acura TSX and TL? What is the LED number for that?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Do not post any ebay links from this point forward. I will delete them....
Old 07-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by trancemission
Do not post any ebay links from this point forward. I will delete them....
wait. I posted an eBay link?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:03 AM
TL in the IE

Just did this last night. Blue 9-led bulbs in both doors and all 4 dome lights. Took about 20 minutes total, mostly for the back lights (front domes and doors came out easily). I finally wrapped a rubber band around the back bulbs to pull them out to get enough grip.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by jakjak
Just did this last night. Blue 9-led bulbs in both doors and all 4 dome lights. Took about 20 minutes total, mostly for the back lights (front domes and doors came out easily). I finally wrapped a rubber band around the back bulbs to pull them out to get enough grip.
So did you change the little bulb for the interior ambient light that shines down on the cup holder area? If so, how did you do it?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:55 AM
TL in the IE

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
So did you change the little bulb for the interior ambient light that shines down on the cup holder area? If so, how did you do it?
Didn't do the ambient light... No idea how to get in there. I actually have replacements for the glove box and console too, but I didn't really feel the need to do those. Besides, the glove box lamp looked like a pain in the ass to get to.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by jakjak
Old 07-18-2006, 02:00 PM
TL in the IE

Sorry, I didn't realize you resurrected this thread to ask about the ambient light. Did you try doing a search?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:52 PM

Finally got my LEDs in and did the mod. I used LED9's, (white for interiors and license, blue for doors). I don't know how you guys can deal with the 6's, the 9's for the interior are not really bright enough, but look good. The license plate is a bit dim, but better than stock yellow nappy light. The blues are perfect in the doors, and like others said prepare you for the inside.

While the interior seems dim, if you read something it actually is quite readable, with very little distracting glare, so while driving this might be better if someone is reading in the passenger side.

Thanks for everyone's info on this, made it very easy. Used a butter knife to remove covers, just used my fingers to remove bulbs. Make sure not to put covers on untill you test (if you've removed the fuse, I finally just left the fuse in to make sure I was doing it right) as these bulbs have to be inserted right, if it doesn't work, reinstall after turning them.

License plate was about 30 mins, a little tricky to remove housings, I kind of twisted them out, twisted them back in.

Below are pics of interior, exterior (you can also see the interior lights through back window), and license plate LED/stock comparision.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:43 AM
Instructor

Will those lights work for the '07 as well???
Old 05-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Instructor

as in the T13s and the WLEDs?
Old 06-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 04tlnbppar
Has anyone think about "red" on the door light instead of blue?
Since I have the '07 the car has red interior lights, so I put RED LEDs for the doors and WHITE for the front and rear dome....awesome
Old 06-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Instructor

I have the NBP w/parchment interior...I know, some of yall might not like that color but I like cream and black, it's not that bad...here are my photos with the red LEDs and white domes....

RED LEDs FOR DOORS....

WHITE LEDs FOR THE INTERIOR...

(FRONT CABIN)

(REAR CABIN)

Old 10-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MMJK84
I have the NBP w/parchment interior...I know, some of yall might not like that color but I like cream and black, it's not that bad...here are my photos with the red LEDs and white domes....

RED LEDs FOR DOORS....

WHITE LEDs FOR THE INTERIOR...

(FRONT CABIN)

(REAR CABIN)

damn red looks nice.. im debating btwn red n blue.. since so many ppl have blue..
does your interior buttons(?) originally light up red @ night?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:25 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I think blue is more "cooler" (not like cool-er but like a more calm color if you get what i mean) and it's a little brighter than red but not as bright as white, obviously

It reflects more on the ground then red does, but red is def more unique because no one else has it really. Probabaly better compliments the red types interior tho
Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ballinfizzle89
I think blue is more "cooler" (not like cool-er but like a more calm color if you get what i mean) and it's a little brighter than red but not as bright as white, obviously

It reflects more on the ground then red does, but red is def more unique because no one else has it really. Probabaly better compliments the red types interior tho
hmm i guess im get blue LOl.. and dome not sure a lot of ppl did white and said its good.. whats yours?? and foot light or w/e lol
Old 10-02-2007, 10:40 PM
FizzyStatus!

Well honestly if you can, if I had the chance to do my interior lights all over again, I would do blue in the doors and extreme white in the domes for visibility(blue just looks awesome, haha cant see shit really) but i have to admit, all blue gets ALOT of attention. I'm sure red would too but I dont think it would be AS bright

mmkj8 has a good setup
Old 10-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Racer

Well honestly if you can, if I had the chance to do my interior lights all over again, I would do blue in the doors and extreme white in the domes for visibility(blue just looks awesome, haha cant see shit really) but i have to admit, all blue gets ALOT of attention. I'm sure red would too but I dont think it would be AS bright

mmkj8 has a good setup
ye thats true about the white and blue.. i guess im do that
Old 10-02-2007, 10:48 PM
FizzyStatus!

Good choice

Sucks sometimes you're trying to read something and you have to open the visors for light haha and even then its not bright enough
Old 10-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Racer

Good choice

Sucks sometimes you're trying to read something and you have to open the visors for light haha and even then its not bright enough
ahahaha

Quick Reply: LED Blue Door/White Dome Lights Mod???!