Sponsored by:

Known problems with TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 03:31 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Known problems with TL

All,

We are currently looking for a car to replace my wife's POS Saab 9.3. I almost engineered the focus from a boring Lexus RX 300 to the Acura TL when my plans were sideswiped by a buddy who owns a new TL. He warned me that there have been problems with the transmissions, tires, quality of fit, and something else.

As a proud G35 6MT Coupe owner, I thought I could have the best of both worlds, especially given the sick interior and related features (which hopefully Infiniti will update to match in the 2005s). However, now I'm thinking I should wait for the second year of production.

Are there some common problems in these areas?
Old 04-30-2004, 03:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
no tranny problems

tires only if you live in a cold climate

quality of fit, yeah but i think they are getting better, I've had NONE VIN 18,6XX
Old 04-30-2004, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

My VIN is 29XXX......thus far, with 2K+ miles, I've experienced none of the "early build" common complaints. If I HAD to complain about something.......the only thing I wish is that the sound system would crank just a bit more. It has outstanding sound......but when the windows are open, it could use a little more power. Other than that............what an AWESOME car!!! I STILL smile every time I climb in!
Old 04-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Instructor

The problems that I've heard thus far were:

- ass prints in leather
- headliner separating
- tire issues (I'm upgrading to 19")
- tranny issues (I'm getting a 6MT)
- bluethooth static with phones (fixable with BT phone bios flash I heard)

That's about it. I hope they are all gone by the time I pick up my baby.

Anyone else?
Old 04-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Glicious
All,

We are currently looking for a car to replace my wife's POS Saab 9.3. I almost engineered the focus from a boring Lexus RX 300 to the Acura TL when my plans were sideswiped by a buddy who owns a new TL. He warned me that there have been problems with the transmissions, tires, quality of fit, and something else.

As a proud G35 6MT Coupe owner, I thought I could have the best of both worlds, especially given the sick interior and related features (which hopefully Infiniti will update to match in the 2005s). However, now I'm thinking I should wait for the second year of production.

Are there some common problems in these areas?
Speaking from Saab 9-3 experience, I can assure you that my TL has a much better fit & finish than the 9-3. Thus, the quality of the fit is much, much, much higher. It's really night and day. Additionally, with my 6MT, I've had no problems with my tranny. The thing is like butta and shifts smooth and crips. Tires, yeah I have the old version of the EL42's and even had them during the cold months of January and February here in the Midwest and didn't have any vibration problems with them that I could notice.

The only minor problems I've had was a few rattles which worked their way out of my car and the ULEV starting problem which has been deemed normal by techs and this forum.

So, buying the TL after having driven the 9-3 for 3 years, the build quality is night and day IMO.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
VIN #27xxx, 4600+ miles, no problems yet!
Old 04-30-2004, 04:27 PM
Intermediate

Got 4.5K on mine, took it in to dealer for them to fix squeeks and rear rattle (cuz I like BASS)...otherwise no problems...I have 6sp and 18's, but did not have any problems with the stock EL42s...

GREAT car...I love it

2004 TL Navi MT6 blue
clear bar
18" Alessio's 245-40-18's (No issues what so ever)
Mirror tint
Soon to be lowered I think...
Old 04-30-2004, 05:34 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3600 miles here. Only issue I've had has been the Brembo brakes squeal a bit - no major complaints. EL-42's did flatspot if the car sat over a day - this produced some vibration for the first five miles or so until they warmed up. They weren't a great tire, but they were serviceable. No rattles or other related issues. Haven't heard of any transmission issues. There has been a history of Honda auto transmission issues but none in the new TL yet. Not aware of any 6MT issues in previous models - not sure which one - 6MT or 5AT - you're looking at.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:41 PM
Instructor

vin :19uu....

some problems are the tires, loose noise on the left side when hitting bumps..either front or back strut needs to be checked, memory seat
Old 04-30-2004, 09:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a very old thread entitled something like, "List of Known Problems with the TL." It was helpful for potential buyers as well as those who have taken the plunge. Not sure if it can be resurrected, or if this thread will become its new incarnation.

I think the tranny issues are very, very limited - perhaps three or four people with serious issues so far. Some of the other ones mentioned do seem at least "somewhat" common - vibrations, rattles, headliner drooping, paint peeling on bumpers. But I am of the opinion that even these things are happening to people in RELATIVELY small numbers - that is, a couple of hundred or so out of 44,000 TLs so far.

The tire quality is definitely subjective. Though practically no one thinks they are wonderful, some of us are reasonably satisfied with them. If you think the tires will bug you a lot, it has been advised elsewhere in this forum to work something out with your dealer before you purchase.

But overall the TL seems to be an excellent car that the vast majority of us are satisfied with. This could turn out to be bullshit - maybe in a few months we'll ALL be cursing Acura's name. I doubt it, but anything's possible.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:07 PM

If quality is your #1 concern, get a Lexus. The TL has had quality problems since they began getting made and designed in America.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Originally Posted by TLGator
There was a very old thread entitled something like, "List of Known Problems with the TL." It was helpful for potential buyers as well as those who have taken the plunge. Not sure if it can be resurrected, or if this thread will become its new incarnation.
Actually, the thread is HERE in the "Common TL issues and FAQ" forum, and was more relevant to folks like me who had early build cars. VINs in the 45k range are being sold at this time and likely have fewer problems.

I have an early build car with over 9k miles and have no major issues. I've had a few minor ones that folks here are familiar with--seat memory Alzheimer's (there's a fix for it) and glovebox rattle (fixed). That's about it. I still find the steering a little limp, but otherwise I absolutely love my car, and you will too if you choose to buy one.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:25 PM
Advanced

My last car was an ES 300 (presumably you're looking at the ES 330) and I serously considered another.

However after I test drove the TL, the choice was clear, the ES seemed so BORING, and had none of the neat features offered by the TL, e.g. XM radio, hands-free link.

Styling is subjective, but I found the TL exterior to be much more distinctive, and the interior to be at least as nice as the ES. There was no comparison in the case of seating comfort, the ES has the age-old Toyota problem of short seat cushions, which don't provide sufficient upward tilt adjustment to provide comfortable seating for 6 foot-plus drivers.

I will admit to some disappointment in the interior build quality, you can read my & other's postings on the interior squeaks & rattles, but from what I read it appears Acura may be getting a handle on these as production proceeds.

There's no comparison between the buying experience, the customer-orientation of the dealership staff, or the attitude of the manufacturer towards customer statisfaction, Lexus wins hands-down. Honda/Acura isn't in the same league, but then neither is any other manufacturer as far as I can see, that's what Lexus focusses on above all else.

BUT, bottom line, I'd make the same choice today. Good luck with your decision, you won't go far wrong either way.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Just got my VIN today and we're up to 46xxx.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If quality is your #1 concern, get a Lexus. The TL has had quality problems since they began getting made and designed in America.
I agree with the first sentence, but not the second.

I had a second-gen CL that was perfect for three years. Trips to the service department? For oil changes and scheduled service only. Not one problem. I have a few friends with second-gen TLs - not one of them has had problems with their car.

But, I would have to agree that people who place reliability/quality of build above EVERY OTHER CONSIDERATION should buy a Lexus. I would have, too, if they made a car in a similar price range that even remotely resembled the TL in terms of looks, features, and sporty handling. But they don't. The IS is too small, the ES too boring, the GS too expensive and an old model to boot.

Still, my TL is perfect so far, as was my CL, so I have no quality issues with Acura. And although saying this is becoming ad naeseum, I think the vast majority of new TL owners are also problem-free. An unlucky, vocal minority creates a different, but likely false, impression.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks, guys and presumably ladies. I feel a bit better. If only I can convince her to drive stick, too.