Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got into car accident... FML

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy Just got into car accident... FML

I'm supposed to fill out a report form to the police first but instead i'm writing to Acuraziners to explain my frustration and seek some help.

Basically everything happened at approx. 5:30pm today. 2 ways traffic, 2 lanes each way. I was driving 30miles/hour on the right lane and saw the car in front of me (2001 Ford Explorer pick up) turning into a gas station. He didn't turn on the signal light the only way I knew he would turn was I saw him slow down at the gas station driveway and the car was slowly turning to the right.

I immediately slowed down but it was not fast enough because he suddenly stopped after his front tires are in the gas station driveway. If I was going fast I would have rear ended him but no, he dodged to the left and the whole passenger side got hit and dragged by the left corner of his truck. My passenger side is damaged from front bumper to back bumper and his damage? the plastic piece at the left corner of his car is peeled off, that's it. i can't believe his damage could easy be fixed at $200 and mine would cost at least $1,000.

After I pulled over he explained it was because there were another car pulling out of the gas station so he had to stop, but the gas station's driveway is meant for two ways traffic and thus more than big enough for 2 car to get in and out without stopping all of the sudden. And half of his car is already in the gas station if he had to yield for another car like he said, he would have slowed down and stopped to yield another car before he could even turn half way in.

Driver & car is from Rhode Island and the guy is honestly as little as the state itself, i dont even know how he could drive when he's that short, i think about 4ft-4ft5. i think he would have to lean upward everytime he drives to see what is in front and i think that was why he stopped because he wanted to see what was in front of him before he turned in.

I'm not making fun of anyone I honestly think that's the reason. I'm so frustrating right now with tons of homework I suppose to do and all work i have to do, now I have to take care of this. I'm worried that I'm going to lose the case because I basically hit him from behind (kind of) but I think the fact that he suddenly stopped at an on going traffic and he didn't turn on his signal light would help me a bit.

I need to write a narrative to report this to the cops, insurance, and RMV. who knows how long it's going to take, I might have to drive her like this for months.

Was there anything I missed out that you guys think I should put in to favor my case? or what else i need to do? We already exchange info and I report a claim to my insurance while waiting for the cops.

I'm glad I've Acurazine to share my feeling and be able to seek help.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Banned

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
Sorry to hear you got into an accident, at least you're okay.
Regardless of him being a midget or not, you hit him, your fault, its his word against
yours regarding him not using any turn signals. But again, you're fine, no one died, your car isn't totaled. Take it as a lesson. Dont follow so closely. YOU CAN NEVER PREDICT WHAT PEOPLE WILL DO WHEN DRIVING. I drive a motorcycle the majority of the year, and trust me I've had my fare share of close calls, expecting people to turn when their blinker is on or whatever.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Racer

Old 09-17-2011, 06:23 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
you hit him from behind more or less means you're automatically at fault. he could have stopped cause a kid ran in front, it doesnt matter.

Sucks, but that's what happens. I just got rear ended a few weeks ago on the fwy by someone while I was driving my sister's car, so i'm not exactly sympathetic.

Last edited by ez12a; 09-17-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Sorry to see what happen..
But yes it is ur fault. He can be parked in the middle and if u hit him its still ur fault.
U were suppose to be ready to STOP no matter what.
=\
=\
=\
Be more cautious next time
Sorry to hear again
Old 09-17-2011, 06:32 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
first off, sorry for the damage to your vehicle. it sucks, but shit happens. unless you have witnesses to support your observations that he didn't signal, and he stopped suddenly, you might be outta luck. include it in your reports nonetheless and see if the guy denies or admits to anything from his side. this will turn into a you said, he said type thing. more than likely it'll be deemed your fault (even though there is equal fault in both instances). you could have been following a little too close (but who doesn't these days in urban driving standards), not saying you were, but it sounds like you might have been. the damage to your car will be closer to a few thousand dollars assuming its only body work.

it almost seems as if the other driver had some poor judgement when he turned into the gas station. no signal, stopped halfway into driveway...if he was really 4 feet tall he might be a dwarf which means he might have special pedal extenders and stuff in his explorer.

what usually happens is the police report will take about a week (depending on efficiency of jusridiction, you could always ask), in the meantime, the insurance will talk to both parties and obtain the police report to determine fault (that's usually in the first few days), and then once you've been "cleared" to take the car into the shop, then take the car to the shop and they should handle everything from there (estimate, adjustor comes out etc). you wait for car to be fixed...and the insurance will continue their own determination of fault once all the paperwork and interviews have been read through and processed. i've been through this in the past way back when (college)...unless the process has changed this is usually the process.

everything will work out one way or another. its frustrating and annoying now b/c its another stress of inconvenience in life. allow yourself to cool down from the accident, and you'll be able to handle this without being too overwhelmed. keep us updated. just be thankful that noone was hurt and it wasn't worse than it could have been. hang in there.
The following 2 users liked this post by TLtrigirl:
NBP-UA6 (09-17-2011), umakemekissu (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 06:52 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Koomoo
Sorry to see what happen..
But yes it is ur fault. He can be parked in the middle and if u hit him its still ur fault.
U were suppose to be ready to STOP no matter what.
=\
=\
=\
Be more cautious next time
Sorry to hear again
This is correct. 100% your fault. No question.

Sucks maybe, but it's true.

Sorry to hear about you damage. Hopefully you'll get everything fixed OK and no BS hassles from insurance, the other driver, etc. GL.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:59 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Shit, sorry to see.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Racer

Okay so I am fucked. Thanks for all the info.

I'm seriously considering just trade her in after everything is done and may be settle for a cheaper civic. I'll keep you guys updated when there is new info
Old 09-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Sorry for your lose..the story is he was sticking out into traffic..into your path and it wasn't safe for you to change lanes.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rhafikjaan
Sorry for your loss..the story is he was sticking out into traffic..into your path and it wasn't safe for you to change lanes.

Fixed..

Guess we should have made a lose vs loose vs loss thread
Old 09-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Pro

^ LOL i thought i saw a thread like that on here somewhere..forgive me!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned

^ lol all in fun
Old 09-17-2011, 08:02 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
that guy is little. O.P. I hope everything works out for you,
Old 09-17-2011, 08:36 PM
University of Tennessee

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Man, that is a lot of damage for such a low speed accident. Sorry to hear and see this. I've even heard if a car rolls back into you, say a manual car on a hill, it's still your fault. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bladehopper82
Man, that is a lot of damage for such a low speed accident. Sorry to hear and see this. I've even heard if a car rolls back into you, say a manual car on a hill, it's still your fault. Doesn't make sense to me.
Yeah, supposed to keep a certain amount of distance. Around here everyone rides everyone elses ass. Even being on a bike people still get on your ass.

Looking back at the pic, man that dude can't even see over the bed of the truck lol...

Got Danny Devito?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Pro

That doesn't make sense to me too. I mean regardless of how much distance is between you and the car up front, if its manual, and rolls down the hill at some point it will still hit you right?

Originally Posted by combat mediC
Yeah, supposed to keep a certain amount of distance. Around here everyone rides everyone elses ass. Even being on a bike people still get on your ass.

Looking back at the pic, man that dude can't even see over the bed of the truck lol...

Got Danny Devito?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry about what happened man. A buddy of mine was actually in the same situation and his car looked very close to yours (damage wise) and the insurance ended up paying 8 grand to fix it. It's had to say he is at fault if your ran into the back of him, but that is why people go to court, to find out. Good Luck.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:07 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by umakemekissu
Okay so I am fucked. Thanks for all the info.

I'm seriously considering just trade her in after everything is done and may be settle for a cheaper civic. I'll keep you guys updated when there is new info
if no citations get issued, its a good thing. just keep the car once its fixed...assuming you still love/like the car. if its any consolation, when i was in college i had a civic hatch Si. got into a pretty bad accident (freakish almost) that caused over $3k in damages to my civic, and the volvo that stopped me from hitting the center median maybe had a broken front turn signal. given my circumstances, i was trying to avoid rearending someone when traffic suddenly stopped, then fishtailed my way across 5 lanes of traffic. i essentially caused the accident and was found to be at fault. the good news was my insurance went up like $4.00 (yes, that says four dollars). i was freaking out that my insurance was going to go up a lot since i was under 25 and a poor working college student, but it all worked out ok. i kept my civic another 7 years after that.

your TL thankfully will only have body work done (at least that's what it looks like) which is relatively minor. so dont' sweat it. it'll work out if the insurance and the whole process goes smoothly. let your insurance handle it. gets some rest and keep us updated.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nbp06aspec
It's had to say he is at fault if your ran into the back of him, but that is why people go to court, to find out. Good Luck.
would you mind clarify this a bit? did your friend hit someone the way I did and how did he bring the other driver to court and how did he win?
Old 09-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Given where the damage is, it doesn't look like you rear ended him. I was recently in an accident similar to this except at twice the speed and with a lot more damage (the driver in front was found at fault). Did you basically try and swerve into the left lane to avoid him (knowing you wouldn't be able to stop in time before hitting him)? That is sort of what it seems like you're saying. You said he dodged to the left.. in other words, did he start turning right into the gas station and then back left? If you can show (and he may just unwittingly admit this) that he left the roadway (even just part of his vehicle) and then re-entered the roadway, he no longer has right of way. Especially if you can show that he was stopping unreasonably quickly and thus you had some reason to take evasive maneuvers.. that would help your case. From the way I read your initial post + looking at the pictures, you were basically attempting to avoid an accident by switching lanes and then he swerved back into the road and hit the side of your car with the corner of his. The pictures don't scream "rear ender" to me...

I mean, in terms of moral "who was at fault".. you probably should have given him a bit more room. Like other posters had mentioned.. if a kid jumps out in front of him and he slams on his brakes and you rear end him.. you're fault for not giving enough distance. However, from a legal perspective, if he exited the roadway and then re-entered, he no longer enjoys right of way and would be considered at fault.

Last edited by Latito; 09-18-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by Latito
Given where the damage is, it doesn't look like you rear ended him. I was recently in an accident similar to this except at twice the speed and with a lot more damage (the driver in front was found at fault). Did you basically try and swerve into the left lane to avoid him (knowing you wouldn't be able to stop in time before hitting him)? That is sort of what it seems like you're saying. You said he dodged to the left.. in other words, did he start turning right into the gas station and then back left? If you can show (and he may just unwittingly admit this) that he left the roadway (even just part of his vehicle) and then re-entered the roadway, he no longer has right of way. Especially if you can show that he was stopping unreasonably quickly and thus you had some reason to take evasive maneuvers.. that would help your case. From the way I read your initial post + looking at the pictures, you were basically attempting to avoid an accident by switching lanes and then he swerved back into the road and hit the side of your car with the corner of his. The pictures don't scream "rear ender" to me...

I mean, in terms of moral "who was at fault".. you probably should have given him a bit more room. Like other posters had mentioned.. if a kid jumps out in front of him and he slams on his brakes and you rear end him.. you're fault for not giving enough distance. However, from a legal perspective, if he exited the roadway and then re-entered, he no longer enjoys right of way and would be considered at fault.
^^hmm, this is a good point. after re-reading the OP, was the driver coming OUT of the driveway (the person the explorer was trying to give more space or avoid contact with) the initial person that caused all of this unscathed? the driveway looks wide enough to more thatn accomodate two way traffic. a lot of people use the whole freakin' thing when coming in or out. so was the driver coming out of the driveway on the Lt. of the driveway (Rt. if looking at the gas station), the explorer notices the guys is on the wrong side and decides to go around him by going Lt. it will be interesting, what he says. you were trying to avoid an accident by not rear ending him, but the explorer made a bad move according to your account. see what the other driver says and what the situation was when he was pulling into the driveway. might work out in your favor (forgiveable and no raise in rates) but they still may find you at fault. with the insurance companies, they'll be pointing the finger at each other to see who pays who, let them hash that out.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by Latito
The pictures don't scream "rear ender" to me...
^ This.

Hope things work out man and keep your hopes up!

Even if it turned out to be half fault or whatever, hope you have "forgiveness" on your policy =)
Old 09-18-2011, 02:33 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
If you rear ended him, as everyone says, they're going to blame you.

Either way, this is what insurance is for. I've been in a similar accident witha different car; scratches and shit all along the pass. side of the car. It cost me 800 bucks; and they were MOSTLY scratches, not as much dents. You will need a new fender and possibly front door skin+paint and maybe a new bumper.

Either way, this is what you pay your monthly insurance premiums for; so make those bitches pay up!

Goodluck!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
first off, sorry for the damage to your vehicle. it sucks, but shit happens. unless you have witnesses to support your observations that he didn't signal, and he stopped suddenly, you might be outta luck. include it in your reports nonetheless and see if the guy denies or admits to anything from his side. this will turn into a you said, he said type thing. more than likely it'll be deemed your fault (even though there is equal fault in both instances). you could have been following a little too close (but who doesn't these days in urban driving standards), not saying you were, but it sounds like you might have been. the damage to your car will be closer to a few thousand dollars assuming its only body work.

it almost seems as if the other driver had some poor judgement when he turned into the gas station. no signal, stopped halfway into driveway...if he was really 4 feet tall he might be a dwarf which means he might have special pedal extenders and stuff in his explorer.

what usually happens is the police report will take about a week (depending on efficiency of jusridiction, you could always ask), in the meantime, the insurance will talk to both parties and obtain the police report to determine fault (that's usually in the first few days), and then once you've been "cleared" to take the car into the shop, then take the car to the shop and they should handle everything from there (estimate, adjustor comes out etc). you wait for car to be fixed...and the insurance will continue their own determination of fault once all the paperwork and interviews have been read through and processed. i've been through this in the past way back when (college)...unless the process has changed this is usually the process.

everything will work out one way or another. its frustrating and annoying now b/c its another stress of inconvenience in life. allow yourself to cool down from the accident, and you'll be able to handle this without being too overwhelmed. keep us updated. just be thankful that noone was hurt and it wasn't worse than it could have been. hang in there.

+1 I would explain it the same!

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:22 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Ouch that looks expensive. Sorry to hear. There's really nothing you can add to the report to make it seem it wasn't your fault. You claim you were only doing 30mph but it seems you were going a little faster than that.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Racer

how much do you guys think it would cost to repair the whole thing?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:11 PM
the overexplainer

i'd guestimate 1.5k+, more like 2k at least simply cause there's many panels involved.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I'm thinking way more than 2k =(
Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

a bumper replace and paint is almost $1K. lots of blending and paint work on this one...i'm leaning towards $5k+.

you have the front bumper (not sure how bad, can't tell from pic, min $500, just for paint and blend), front fender (most damage, $1-1.5k), front pass. door (sl < 1k), rear pass. door (sl < 1k) and rear qtr (sl < 1k).

the rear qtr alone will be about $1k. a small area too to boot (i know this b/c i've had this done after someone hit my parked car pulling in/out of parking space, left a big ass softball size dent all the way to the metal). let us know what the estimate is...do we win something if we guess right? lol.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
You've got over $400 for the fender and inner liner, $500 for both door skins, $350 for the underbody spoiler set (looks like that's involved under the fender), so basically with tax you're at $1400 just in parts. Insurance company will probably want the bumper stripped and painted instead of replacing if it's not cracked. Labor to replace everything, strip bumper, fix quarter, paint labor, paint etc.

I'm gonna say around $3500-$4000 total.

And BTW, I see this all the time. Some idiot pulling out of a wide parking lot right in the middle, so people can't pull in. With short guy not signaling, it sounds like all three of you were somewhat at fault.

Last edited by anx1300c; 09-19-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:34 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
What if he is considered at fault for obstructing traffic? I would word your description in that manner where he didnt clear the main road and as such should be held at fault.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
What if he is considered at fault for obstructing traffic? I would word your description in that manner where he didnt clear the main road and as such should be held at fault.
The only thing he did wrong was not signal, which can't be proven. He had every right to pull into the parking lot.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:50 AM
the overexplainer

Originally Posted by leedogg
You cant really fault the driver in front for stopping to allow a car to clear a driveway if he wants to get in. It's not like he stopped illegally or parked in the middle of the street. I see this all the time in narrower driveways to gas stations. Either they're still in the lane of traffic motioning the other car to go or partially in the lane, w/e.

Originally Posted by anx1300c
The only thing he did wrong was not signal, which can't be proven. He had every right to pull into the parking lot.
Yup. If he had to slow down to a crawl to make a turn he has every right to, and the people behind him better give him space. Unfortunately the signal part no one can prove.

This is how it's going to look like to insurance: driver made a right turn, the OP thought he could squeeze by and hit the car. More than likely this is how the other driver explained it.

Last edited by ez12a; 09-20-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 PM
2007 Type S WDP 5AT

Received 171 Likes on 64 Posts
any update to how this turned out
Old 04-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by wojo1988
any update to how this turned out
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/after-1-year-wdp-854894/

just for you wojo
The following users liked this post:
umakemekissu (04-23-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 08:05 PM
2007 Type S WDP 5AT

Received 171 Likes on 64 Posts
^ Thanks lol. Thats how I ended up getting here haha. I guess I mean to say, how did the whole ordeal sort out?? Did he persue it or were charges given? Who was at fault etc.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
oh hahahaha. well....he does mention that it was >50% his fault. But it seems like he's at peace with what happened.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:47 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
So sorry to see those pics, what makes it harder to look at is that it s a WDP TL. if u go for a civic u will miss your TL, i dont think u want to do that. i get pissed at ppl who make slow turns and with ppl who dont use there signals. a part of me think that the guy stopped on purpose just to get some easy money. i sometime think that ppl try to get in accidents by randomly stopping bc they want easy money or they drive a beater they are trying to get a new bumper for free. or maybe he wanted to teach u a lesson about not tail gating, but I could be wrong. from reading ur story, i really feel like he stopped just cuz he wanted u to hit him.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by wojo1988
^ Thanks lol. Thats how I ended up getting here haha. I guess I mean to say, how did the whole ordeal sort out?? Did he persue it or were charges given? Who was at fault etc.
Sorry didn't keep this thread updated.. but i didn't like my chances so i didn't appeal.. 3 points on my record but lets not talk about that shall we?
On the bright side, everything was fixed and there's no mark of an accident at all, paint matched perfectly.
Originally Posted by wall e
So sorry to see those pics, what makes it harder to look at is that it s a WDP TL. if u go for a civic u will miss your TL, i dont think u want to do that. i get pissed at ppl who make slow turns and with ppl who dont use there signals. a part of me think that the guy stopped on purpose just to get some easy money. i sometime think that ppl try to get in accidents by randomly stopping bc they want easy money or they drive a beater they are trying to get a new bumper for free. or maybe he wanted to teach u a lesson about not tail gating, but I could be wrong. from reading ur story, i really feel like he stopped just cuz he wanted u to hit him.
i honestly don't think he stopped on purpose.. at least when i was talking to him he didnt seem like that kind of a person.. just not a good driver and/or bad visibility when he went up the curve due to his short height that caused him to stop..