Just got back from the Auto Show...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004 | 10:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just got back from the Auto Show...

...which is here in Baltimore for the weekend.

One can only look at/sit in the cars, of course, not drive them, but given that limitation...

Nothing, and I mean nothing, compares favorably to the TL in that price range.

G35 - interior is not so bad really, except when compared to the TL's, after which it looks primitive; also not as roomy as I expected, the TL wins there, too

3 series - interior needs upgrading; optioned like TL it costs more; the same stuff can be said of the C class and Audi 4 (which is also too snug inside)

Maxima and Passat - neither car anywhere near the state of the art appearance of the TL, inside or out

Phaeton - this one I like, oops it's $75 grand

Many manufacturers just have nothing comparable to TL - Lexus has several models, none really comparable; Ford and Chrysler have upcoming cars, not available yet; GM - why bother talking about it (except Caddy, not my taste but if you like the CTS that one does compare to TL, but still loses overall, especially the interior)

The TL is really a unique automobile in a slightly unique niche right now. No wonder it's selling well.
Old 01-17-2004 | 10:11 PM
Burning Brakes

I think the TL is outstanding looking, the wheels sit nicely (thanks BMW for showing everybody how to do this!) in the body.

Someone mentioned thin leather, my business partner has 2003 E320 and his leather felt the same as mine thickness wise and has the creases showing where people have sat in the seats.

I think the TL is awesome.
Old 01-18-2004 | 07:45 AM
Racer

I was in Detroit for the Auto Show and my impressions of the TL against the competition was that ...it really didn't have a competitor. Certainly on the styling front the BMW 5 series has some similiarities, but the interior of the TL wins hands down compared to the Audi A4, BMW 3 Series, G35. The TL's price point combined with styling has just put it in a class by itself as its cheaper than all of those cars.

The new Corvette looked pretty good. The Mustang was good too, although how many times can you revitalize that 1970 Mach 1 look?
Old 01-18-2004 | 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Peters, I was in Detroit last weekend and I agree with you about the new Corvette. I'm still looking for that ideal summer weekend car to lease at a reasonable rate, and the new 'vette just about tops the list (G35 coupe is the top of the list). However, I was disappointed in the new Mustang; the styling doesn't do it for me, and I can't stand it that this "muscle car" has a base V6 engine. I also think that the TL is really unique, not really lux, not really sport, good enough combo of both to satisfy people who want a sporty lux car in its price range. No other car in this price range has the combination of both, as they are generally meant for each extreme.
Old 01-18-2004 | 09:07 AM
Racer

The Corvette

I almost think that the GM has turned the corner on some of its cars and is re-gaining some market acceptance. You know, I was considering a Porsche Boxter as a summer car that I put away and drive until the thing just gets too old as I get older. But I am seriously thinking of the new Corvette. All that horsepower is too much too resist .....
Old 01-18-2004 | 10:11 AM
Instructor

CLGator, you mentioned that the G-35 and 330I had space issues - probably because they are RWD and have the large drive shaft tunnel running through the car. This is one plus of FWD - more space.
Old 01-18-2004 | 11:26 AM
Advanced

Wait for the 2006 Corvette Z06. 500 HP and a lightened chassis, bigger brakes, etc.
Old 01-18-2004 | 08:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by vothsc
CLGator, you mentioned that the G-35 and 330I had space issues - probably because they are RWD and have the large drive shaft tunnel running through the car. This is one plus of FWD - more space.
It's not that either car is really tight. They're not. The Audi A4 is tight. The Lexus IS300 is extremely tight in the rear. It's just that I'd heard/read the G-35 was really roomy, and in fact it isn't. The space in the front seat is just average, and in the rear a little tight. The BMW is actually not as bad as I expected, especially in the rear, but still is not as roomy as the TL.

You may be right about the FWD/RWD issue. I don't know enough about that stuff to confirm. But I can say that the Maxima, another FWD car, was roomier than its G35 cousin.