3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inevitable: New GTP vs 2k4 TL (kill story)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Type S Lady
Then yours must be extremely fun.
Generally not, the difference between my dreams and reality are not very lengthy. I have whatever I need, and work towards what I really want. (And actually I can afford what I really want, just have different priorities)

And I'd say between two automatic cars. (TL and I35, it's pretty damn close)

I35: 3300 lbs. 255 hp 248 tq
TL : 3600 lbs. 270hp 238tq

I'd say this would come out just like my races with my friends CL-S. I win down low, and he creeps up top. If I get a large enough lead to 75-80 he wont creep enough. If he hangs at my door he'll crawl by me like an 8 month old with a diaper full of ****, slowly.

Drivers race.

Now if we are arguing who has the nicer interior, I love the acura more. Just not a huge fan of the styling. (reminds me of an upgraded 04+ GTP )
Old 01-22-2004, 02:39 PM
Drifting

I've raced my brother who for marital reason had to give up his GSR. He now has the I35 I believe with the "4" speed auto(granny color-brownish silver or whatever it's called). When he first got it I went to visit and he didn't want to race. Went back a month or so ago and light to lightI got him everytime. Sorry, I see no threat in the I35. Modded I'm sure, he's looking into Stillen upgrades. But till then, PEACE!!! I then drove his car back and was not impressed to say the least. Very dreary feeling, and quite a boring car (I guess I should have turned the stereo on or something), but I will say I liked his interior much better than mine. Seems more plush, and since lowering mine his rides more like a luxury car.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Instructor

I've raced my brother who for marital reason had to give up his GSR. He now has the I35 I believe with the "4" speed auto(granny color-brownish silver or whatever it's called). When he first got it I went to visit and he didn't want to race. Went back a month or so ago and light to lightI got him everytime. Sorry, I see no threat in the I35. Modded I'm sure, he's looking into Stillen upgrades. But till then, PEACE!!! I then drove his car back and was not impressed to say the least. Very dreary feeling, and quite a boring car (I guess I should have turned the stereo on or something), but I will say I liked his interior much better than mine. Seems more plush, and since lowering mine his rides more like a luxury car.
DO NOT LET HIM GO TO STILLEN. There are really no good modifications from them for the I35 or maxima. Most of their stuff has shown poor dyno's in the real world.
You have to remember that much like the CL and CL-S, there are different versions of the I35 that most people dont know about. For example, from the exterior looks department there is the sport package and rim upgrades. Those alone make them look very different. Interior wise there is the sun package, navigation package, and winter package.

And as for you, "but till then, peace!!" comment, find someone with an I35 that is willing to turn VDS off (traction sys) and knows how to launch their car and you wont say peace. They are just as capable as the automatic maximas (02-03) that see mid 14's, it's all up to the driver.

As for the cosmetic upgrades I am talking about.

This is my I35 with the upgrade rims and sports package. In my opinion the rims are much more eligent on here (same as Q45's) and the side sills extensions make it look nice. (also it's dropped so the old man wheel well gap isnt aparrent.

To each their own and believe me, if the new TL was out two years ago when I was car shopping it would have been purchased because I love the interior that much.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Cruisin'

I had a 01 GTP (stock) and it was fast. The TL is fast is a more refined way. It is so quite that you sometimes forget the rate of acceleration. The GTP due to the supercharger has loads of low end torque and the throttle respose coupled with the instant low end torque makes for a very resposive package. The GTP is rough around the edges and sounds like it is going faster than it is. I have a 6 speed TL and I think my old GTP would take the TL, but it would be close. The TL is a much beter car with great options. My biggest reason not to get another GTP was the poor lighting and the 04 stying was in my opinion not as good as my 01 which was nothing to write home about. GTP's with the smaller blower drive pulleys will raise the boost and power with ease.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Instructor

There is no question that in the refinement, quality, asthetics, and sexiness, the TL wins.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Mav
Team Nighthawk Spokesman

I wish I hadn't read this thread...boring...

PS...Did you GTP guys get a pen with your car? No? Ok sit down then.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:55 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by TheyCallMeSteel
DO NOT LET HIM GO TO STILLEN. There are really no good modifications from them for the I35 or maxima. Most of their stuff has shown poor dyno's in the real world.
You have to remember that much like the CL and CL-S, there are different versions of the I35 that most people dont know about. For example, from the exterior looks department there is the sport package and rim upgrades. Those alone make them look very different. Interior wise there is the sun package, navigation package, and winter package.

And as for you, "but till then, peace!!" comment, find someone with an I35 that is willing to turn VDS off (traction sys) and knows how to launch their car and you wont say peace. They are just as capable as the automatic maximas (02-03) that see mid 14's, it's all up to the driver.

As for the cosmetic upgrades I am talking about.

This is my I35 with the upgrade rims and sports package. In my opinion the rims are much more eligent on here (same as Q45's) and the side sills extensions make it look nice. (also it's dropped so the old man wheel well gap isnt aparrent.

To each their own and believe me, if the new TL was out two years ago when I was car shopping it would have been purchased because I love the interior that much.
Well said, its funny how TLS guys say their cars are quicker and 02/03 Maxima/I35 guys say theirs are and in all reality they run very similar times. TL advantage up high Maxima advantage low to mid range and this is reality!
Old 01-23-2004, 07:34 AM
4th Gear

Originally posted by Mav
I wish I hadn't read this thread...boring...

PS...Did you GTP guys get a pen with your car? No? Ok sit down then.
d$#%#$, I can't believe I missed out on that pen offer:p

My maxima is a blast to drive. It's feels quicker than the GP, atleast through the gears and handles very well. And of course it's a 6spd compared to the Auto. Trust me, if the GTP came in 5sp/6spd I would definitely have one. The GTP has more brute power. The "throw you in the back of the seat" type. And you can burn the tires cruising at 35mph, fun!!!.

I think the TL has one of the nicest interiors of any car near its class and I haven't even seen one in person yet. Just can't afford to trade in the Max for the TL right now. Plus the wife wants the new Mustang. We will see how that goes in a year or so
Old 01-23-2004, 08:13 AM
Drifting

Different strokes for different folks, I haven't seen an exterior package that makes me go wow for the I35. Thus the reason I don't own one, but he loves his car and that is what matters. He is only aware of Stillen mods for his car, who else makes them so I can let him know? Thanks!
Old 01-23-2004, 03:59 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Originally posted by VTEC=happiness
If I wanted to drive the fastest car, I would go out and find a faster one. I want one that you feel good about driving every day. People can sit in it and comment on how beautiful the interior is and how nice the ride is. People look at the exterior and appreciate how good the car looks. And, yes, there is a performance angle too. If performance is all I cared about, this would not be the car I would choose. However, I was looking for a nice overall package, and this was the car. The Pontiacs are completed pieces of crap...as I posted elsewhere, I don't care if it blows the doors off my car...the faster it pulls away from my TL, the less time I have to look at its ugly design and its fat white trash driver.

By the way, I am not a 16 y.o. domestic basher, I am a 23 y.o. one with enough money and sense to stay away from certain bad cars. It truly is not a domestic/import thing, as I do appreciate many domestics (lots of my friends have modded domestics), I just think that too much emphasis is being placed on the speed of this damn GTP rather than looking at its overall bad package. Don't mean to be a complete a**hole...I just do not understand why so much emphasis is being put on the speed issue when lots of cars can go fast.
Vtec=happiness, you're my new idol. You sum up my thoughts perfectly. Also, I thought I was the only 23 year old with enough class for the TL. Rock on! All my friends tell me I'm 23 going on 50. Ohh well.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Different strokes for different folks, I haven't seen an exterior package that makes me go wow for the I35. Thus the reason I don't own one, but he loves his car and that is what matters. He is only aware of Stillen mods for his car, who else makes them so I can let him know? Thanks!
This could be for two reasons. 1.) you just dont like the looks, which is fine, I dont enjoy the Type S's (remind me of accords). 2.) You havent seen one with the nicer rims and side sills, etc. (they are rare) I look for them and have only seen 2-3 in the past year.

Performance wise, I just wouldnt recommend it for the i35, unless you're gonna import a motor from japan, play with turbos, tranny, and drivetrain. It's just not a race car. (they can be blown or turbo'd like the type-s, but it's a waste of money in a FWD car that was not made to race in)
There is a new ECU coming out from technosquare.com for the I35, but I am still wary of the results. He can check that out and basic intake modifications.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:18 PM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by TheNip73
Vtec=happiness, you're my new idol. You sum up my thoughts perfectly. Also, I thought I was the only 23 year old with enough class for the TL. Rock on! All my friends tell me I'm 23 going on 50. Ohh well.
Thank you sir...I, too, am a slightly older soul than my 23 years would let on. I guess that's why we drive cars that are a bit more refined than other people our age pilot.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

If I wanted to drive the fastest car, I would go out and find a faster one. I want one that you feel good about driving every day. People can sit in it and comment on how beautiful the interior is and how nice the ride is. People look at the exterior and appreciate how good the car looks. And, yes, there is a performance angle too. If performance is all I cared about, this would not be the car I would choose. However, I was looking for a nice overall package, and this was the car. The Pontiacs are completed pieces of crap...as I posted elsewhere, I don't care if it blows the doors off my car...the faster it pulls away from my TL, the less time I have to look at its ugly design and its fat white trash driver.
i actually get more compliments in my bimmer than i do in my TL.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Monte TLS,MAX
Well said, its funny how TLS guys say their cars are quicker and 02/03 Maxima/I35 guys say theirs are and in all reality they run very similar times. TL advantage up high Maxima advantage low to mid range and this is reality!
I believe you meant low range belongs to the Maxima while mid range belongs to the TL. For high range, you need to be sitting behind a V8 That's high end power right there. Also, my Maxima friends claim that the I35 is slower than them because it carries extra weight and the transmission is smoother. Any truth to this? In real life experience, I have never gotten a "real challenge" from an I35.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:43 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by vandy786
I believe you meant low range belongs to the Maxima while mid range belongs to the TL. For high range, you need to be sitting behind a V8 That's high end power right there. Also, my Maxima friends claim that the I35 is slower than them because it carries extra weight and the transmission is smoother. Any truth to this? In real life experience, I have never gotten a "real challenge" from an I35.
That is a common misconception. The weight difference is closer to a mere 50 lbs. Even though the interior differences put the infiniti light year ahead, the weight difference between the parts is marginal.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:13 PM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by adam209
i actually get more compliments in my bimmer than i do in my TL.
Do you have a point...I didn't say I got the car that got the most compliments or more compliments than a BMW...
Old 01-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Do you have a point...I didn't say I got the car that got the most compliments or more compliments than a BMW...
got caught up in something and couldn't finish my post. didn't think i hit the submit button. oh well. what i was going to say was that i get more compliments in my bmw about the overall quality and refinement of it as opposed to the TL. not to mention the paint on the bmw is a helluvalot better than the acura's. plus, i have less rattles after a year than i do after a month with the Acura
Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny to see this topic because I just destroyed a 2008 Grandprix with the 303 HP 5.3 L V8 the other night. Guy ran me hard to about 135MPH at that point I had him by half a car. My car is an 04 TL Auto. It's Stock for another couple of weeks LOL. Doing a CAI and Pulley.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
wow back from the dead....

before you get flamed... keep it on the track...
Old 01-05-2009, 06:49 PM

Received 5,913 Likes on 2,914 Posts
Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
wow back from the dead....

before you get flamed... keep it on the track...
What is it with these three and four year old threads being resurrected? This is like the fourth one that I am aware of in the past couple of weeks.

Oh, and, street racing...bad idea.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 thread
Old 01-05-2009, 08:15 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
thread fail;

and trust me learn to just keep it on the track; the pain i had to go through from my last ticket was more than enough of a lesson/wake-up call

140MPH ticket on a 60; aka anything over 93MPH in the state of MO is considered attempt of vehicular manslaughter. over a grueling 6 months the judge was convinced that she wanted me to do 28 days in jail, 40 hours of community service, and pay a $880 fine along with taking a defensive driving class.

not worth those 30 seconds (and that's only if you're lucky and in the middle of no where with no other cars) of adrenaline that you can just repeat on the track with only your insurance company shitting their pants
Old 01-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
And on that note, I'll drive the stake into the heart of the previously dead thread.