3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inevitable: New GTP vs 2k4 TL (kill story)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 10:08 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by vandy786
Your post is a perfect example of the snobbery I was talking about. Thanks for helping me prove my point. So let me get this straight. You think you can diss GTPs because you think the TL clearly owns it? And you didn't just stop there. You also said that BMW owners have the right to call the TL a POS because it's simply better? You sound like a TL owner who bought the TL because he / she couldn't afford the 5 series, not because he / she realized that you bought something that compares to the 5 series but costs less than a comparably loaded 3 series. Your post is outrageous because you figure that just because a car costs more gives you the right to bash something less expensive. You might say a GTP or an SRT4 is a POS but if that's exactly what someone needs, it is anything but that. I bet you're one of those guys that would drive an Infiniti G20 just so you can say I drive an Infiniti. You'd say, oh hell, who cares if I get torn up by ricer Civics, I still drive an Infiniti.
Amen. Like I said, I love Acura's. I especially love the new RSX Type S (and JDM Type R), TSX, and the TL. Whos to say a BMW is better? Just because it costs more?? Honda makes some of the smoothest clutches and manual trannies out there. I'd own an Acura over a BMW anyday of the week hands down. Stock for stock comparisons is cool for a lot of people but some people love to mod cars as a hobby and to talk them down because they may have beat you in a race just because you have factory HID headlamps is ridiculous. I hope all the other respective members of this forum doesn't take this post has a flame toward their cars. Like I said, I'm a very big Acura fan. Whether its an old Integra or the TL. And yes the general consensus is right, the TL is a MUCH better car than the Grand Prix. Especially stock for stock. We're just guys who like tearing our simplistic pushrod engines apart.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:24 PM
Racer

Originally posted by VTGuy2006
Awww, would you like a spoon so you can eat my ass? Face it, a car with a ****ty interior and pushrod technology walked you're precious TL with variable valve timing etc etc. GTP's are easily capable of low 13's high 12's. Its all in the supercharger. If you don't believe me, I'm sure they are modded GTP's go out and find one and it will own you. I suggest you start throwing some more money in your TL unless you're perfectly content with the performance of your own car. Motor Trend claims your car can run the quarter in 14.44 @ 98.7 mph. GTP Comp G can do it in 14.97 @ 92.76. Get off your high horse VTEC=happiness, you do NOT drive the fastest nicest car in the world. I figured people who'd buy new Acura's would not have the mind set of an ignorant 16 year old anti-domestic idiot.
I bet you're a NASCAR fan.....
Old 01-21-2004, 10:26 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
be nice...

we can all drive whatever we want.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:31 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by 6spdzoomzoom
I bet you're a NASCAR fan.....
I'm actually a sophomore at Virginia Tech studying marketing. So the fact that I graduated high school with an actual diploma means that no I'm not a NASCAR fan. Simply watching those stupid things on TV causes my IQ to drop several points, but nice generalization. Most GP's I see are driven by women, much like most of the TL's I see.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:31 PM
Racer

I couldn't resist...

It’s about cutting edge technology. I like jap cars because they try to do more with less and they always seem to succeed.

It doesn't take much to throw a v8 in a car and make it go fast. Throw a v8 in a TL and this thread would be a moot point.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Racer

I'm actually a sophomore at Virginia Tech studying marketing. So the fact that I graduated high school with an actual diploma means that no I'm not a NASCAR fan. Simply watching those stupid things on TV causes my IQ to drop several points, but nice generalization. Most GP's I see are driven by women, much like most of the TL's I see.
Well I'm sure I'm not a woman and I drive a TL..

Good come back though

I lived in Charlottesville for a short time. I met lots of NASCAR fans... No disrespect... just having some fun.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:38 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by 6spdzoomzoom
I couldn't resist...

It’s about cutting edge technology. I like jap cars because they try to do more with less and they always seem to succeed.

It doesn't take much to throw a v8 in a car and make it go fast. Throw a v8 in a TL and this thread would be a moot point.
Oh its cool. Yeah I have to agree with you. I've been interested in cars since I was really young and what Honda (or Acura...in case you guys are weird about the whole Honda/Acura thing) can do with an engine is incredible. Back when VTEC was first introduced in the early 90's in the NSX it was considered one of the greatest innovative automobile advancements...ever. And yes although I own an old school OHV engine I know how VTEC works and some of its variants. When I get outta school I'd like to own an Acura...unless I had the money for a C6 Corvette. Its cool to see GM putting things other than tupperware in their interiors.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:42 PM
Racer

I have to give it to GM when it comes to the Vette... I'm looking for a weekend car it's on my short list... I may wait and see what the ZO6 look like.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by 2k4TLkev
well the gtp is modded and the tl is stock and probably a 5AT but vtec said..its ugly as hell and its a domestic and will break down and not be very reliable compared to the tl.
who's gunna bread down first??? I've broken down more in my Acura than my friends w/ 1980's something GM's...
Old 01-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Instructor

This is absolutely ridiculous. This has to be one of the most pathetic displays of my penis is bigger than your penis arguments.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:21 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by adam209
what the fu(k? so because people race on the streets that makes them stupid? were you ever a kid once?
Yes Adam it does make them stupid. I was a kid not long ago and yes I probably did some stupid things in my car, but as I know now and as you will know in a few years, it is not my right to endanger the lives of others. The next time you are racing on a public street, think about that kid on the bike that may swerve in front of you at any moment. Your young so you probably would say that it is the kid's fault, but in the real world a jury would put you away for manslaughter. There are plenty of guys that would love a nice piece of young ass in the state pen.

p.s. I like the pic of the girl way better than the flying pig.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by TheyCallMeSteel
This is absolutely ridiculous. This has to be one of the most pathetic displays of my penis is bigger than your penis arguments.
nice first post
Old 01-22-2004, 12:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Bartman
Yes Adam it does make them stupid. I was a kid not long ago and yes I probably did some stupid things in my car, but as I know now and as you will know in a few years, it is not my right to endanger the lives of others. The next time you are racing on a public street, think about that kid on the bike that may swerve in front of you at any moment. Your young so you probably would say that it is the kid's fault, but in the real world a jury would put you away for manslaughter. There are plenty of guys that would love a nice piece of young ass in the state pen.

p.s. I like the pic of the girl way better than the flying pig.
well, considering i only race on the freeway, on the outskirts of town and at night (around 11 or later), then yes, i would have to blame the kid and his/her parents. secondly, the closest track is in sacto which is about an hour away.

p.s. i know. i hate the pig too but we had to clean up our avatar's. oh well, i still have her on my comp, so at least i can still look at her
Old 01-22-2004, 12:51 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Woodstock
Yes, if you race on the streets, you are, in fact, stupid. Not to mention a "me first" danger to others. Especially if you race on the streets while weaving in and out of traffic as the a$$hole in the GTP/TL race seemed to be doing. I don't give a damn as to whether street racers kill themselves, but they put others' at risk.

I like to shoot handguns, but I don't go out on the street and have target shooting compititions with other shooters, and hope that I don't hit anyone.

Yes, I was a kid once, but I didn't race on the streets. I wasn't that stupid.
I totally agree. When i think about the times i've street race i really regret it and hate myself for doing it so selfishly. When i do that i put myself and a lot of innocent people at risk.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Advanced

...............................why can't we just all get along guys ?
Old 01-22-2004, 06:27 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Go back to the Grand Prix site and rant there....no one wants to hear about that POS"

Hey VTGuy2006! I admire your courage to speak up at Acura forum. I hope you realize that not all people here are hateful morons...
Old 01-22-2004, 07:23 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by adam209
[B]well, considering i only race on the freeway, on the outskirts of town and at night (around 11 or later), then yes, i would have to blame the kid and his/her parents. secondly, the closest track is in sacto which is about an hour away.

WOW.......that's all I can say to that one! The kid must have been asking for it by being out minding his own business because you certainly will not take any responsibility for your actions. What if your brother was changing a tire on the shoulder.......ah well, that's not my fault, he should not have gotten a flat there, I guess. It's like the girl wearing a short skirt that gets raped.....she was asking for it being dressed like that, huh?

Since most of you do not know the Garden State Parkway southbound approaching the New Jersey Turnpike, it is ALWAYS congested. There are cars there 24 hours a day. Even the poster admitted having to slow down and weave through it. They both were wrong and they both are IMHO very stupid and it was an action that cannot be defended especially once you know where it happened.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:35 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by adam209
what the fu(k? so because people race on the streets that makes them stupid? were you ever a kid once?
Yes and yes. I was a kid once and drove a pretty fast Trans Am (for the time, it was a POS but that's another story). However, as I grew up and matured I realized that street racing was wrong no matter how I attempted to rationalize it.

If it were only the street racer taking himself out I wouldn't care, it's the thinning of the herd and score one for Darwin. But when their youth-induced-sense of invincibility and wrongly assumed sense of great driving prowess take over, they drive like maniacs taking chances around innocent bystanders and that pisses me off.

Take some time and sign up for a driving school at a track near you (even if it's an hour away). I did and it was an eye opener. After the driving school my days of speeding and street racing were over for good.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:17 AM
Cruisin'

I don't get it.

Based on the numbers I've read, I'd have to suspect the TL had an automatic tranny and / or an inexperienced driver. But does it really matter? Isn't this whole thread effectively comparing a fine merlot to a 6-pack of Bud. Who cares if the Bud gets you drunk faster? It's still moose whizz.

I'm not trying to be a snob here. There just seems to have been more attention to detail / quality in the TL than in the GSP. Why anybody would waste their time comparing the two is beyond me.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:31 AM
Pro

Originally posted by vandy786
I bet you're one of those guys that would drive an Infiniti G20 just so you can say I drive an Infiniti. You'd say, oh hell, who cares if I get torn up by ricer Civics, I still drive an Infiniti.
G20 = SR20DE (aka stock bottomend that can support 400hp with boost). Modded well (but not extravagantly), it'll rip most modded street Civics (not to mention GTPs). Talk about the best of both worlds.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by VTEC=happiness
I really don't care if that car beat the TL by 50 car lengths...it is an ugly POS, and I cannot believe that people actually take pride is driving it. Its one of those cars you rent and question who would actually pay hard earned money for such a domestic piece of crap
I must say I feel the same when I rent a Taurus or Intrepid. But I like the look of the GTP, I would never drive one if it was even given to me for free but I think their nice looking. I really like the aggressive stance of the car and wide body look. But as soon as those pros are pondered over the plasticy interior, and poor manufacturer history make me say not in this lifetime.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Drifting

[QUOTE]$30k for that, HECK NO!!! It's nice but it ain't that nice.
[]
Old 01-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by vtechbrain
:tflamer:
You are a nut!
Old 01-22-2004, 10:14 AM
Drifting

Go back to the Grand Prix site and rant there....no one wants to hear about that POS
DANG!
Old 01-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Tajam
a 04 TL?

or the guy he was racing with was an idiot. or was loaded with people.
I really don't think the TL driver had a clue. Sometimes when I'm driving and I'm in a hurry and passing people all of sudden I see a 5 series, a Maxima or some modded Civic trying to bug me. If I don't have time to play I won't slow up, but when I do I'll wait for you at the light. Isn't that normally how it goes?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:20 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by TheNip73
While the GTP may have won the race, the real winners are the TL owners who have a better vechicle overall. Better reliability, better looks (subjective), better warranty, better materials, better resale. I will give the GTP mad ups for the cost to performance ratio, but your gonna get killed on the residual value when you go to sell it.

TheNip
Goes to sell it, do they last long enough to have any value for resale? Who would take a chance on a used one?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:27 AM
JDM FREAK

VTGuy2006,
Like someone already said, we are not against you and i give it to you for standing up for your ride in Acura furom.
But, one thing i can say is, stock vs stock is fair, but telling me that your budy in your furom had modified his ride and still raced with stock TL (probably Auto), well thats rediculous.
why don't we try to modify a TL and equip it with what the GM had, and then we can talk.
Come on folks, its a simple matter that we are arguing here, so what if someone raced a TL and beat it, we all know that the TL is fast, but we sure know that there is faster.
Be a sport and give to the guy.
And welcome to Acura-TL.com
Old 01-22-2004, 10:28 AM
What's a TL?

Awww, would you like a spoon so you can eat my ass? Face it, a car with a ****ty interior and pushrod technology walked you're precious TL with variable valve timing etc etc. GTP's are easily capable of low 13's high 12's. Its all in the supercharger. If you don't believe me, I'm sure they are modded GTP's go out and find one and it will own you. I suggest you start throwing some more money in your TL unless you're perfectly content with the performance of your own car. Motor Trend claims your car can run the quarter in 14.44 @ 98.7 mph. GTP Comp G can do it in 14.97 @ 92.76. Get off your high horse VTEC=happiness, you do NOT drive the fastest nicest car in the world. I figured people who'd buy new Acura's would not have the mind set of an ignorant 16 year old anti-domestic idiot.
If I wanted to drive the fastest car, I would go out and find a faster one. I want one that you feel good about driving every day. People can sit in it and comment on how beautiful the interior is and how nice the ride is. People look at the exterior and appreciate how good the car looks. And, yes, there is a performance angle too. If performance is all I cared about, this would not be the car I would choose. However, I was looking for a nice overall package, and this was the car. The Pontiacs are completed pieces of crap...as I posted elsewhere, I don't care if it blows the doors off my car...the faster it pulls away from my TL, the less time I have to look at its ugly design and its fat white trash driver.

By the way, I am not a 16 y.o. domestic basher, I am a 23 y.o. one with enough money and sense to stay away from certain bad cars. It truly is not a domestic/import thing, as I do appreciate many domestics (lots of my friends have modded domestics), I just think that too much emphasis is being placed on the speed of this damn GTP rather than looking at its overall bad package. Don't mean to be a complete a**hole...I just do not understand why so much emphasis is being put on the speed issue when lots of cars can go fast.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Stock for stock is the only way to compare. The GTP has an advantage in terms of cheap modification. That is the reality of having a supercharger and being able to change pulleys.

I am not a Pontiac fan, but I don't see the purpose of these cross-marque forum wars. Reminds me of when the F-body boys were trolling the NSX site and vice versa.

Most of the people who care enough to spend time on enthusiast forums have a love and understanding of all things automotive, but there will always be people that have something to prove. Usually they end up proving how stupid they are, but that is their own fault.

The TL is faster than a stock Grand Prix, GTP or otherwise. That is not open to debate. A Grand Prix can be modified to be faster than a stock TL. That is also not open to debate.

Is there really anything more to be said on this topic?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Instructor

What about me? where am I left, I dont have a GTP or a TL.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:58 AM
10th Gear

Originally posted by Qatar
VTGuy2006,
Like someone already said, we are not against you and i give it to you for standing up for your ride in Acura furom.
But, one thing i can say is, stock vs stock is fair, but telling me that your budy in your furom had modified his ride and still raced with stock TL (probably Auto), well thats rediculous.
why don't we try to modify a TL and equip it with what the GM had, and then we can talk.
Come on folks, its a simple matter that we are arguing here, so what if someone raced a TL and beat it, we all know that the TL is fast, but we sure know that there is faster.
Be a sport and give to the guy.
And welcome to Acura-TL.com
Yeah I do agree with you there. I'll be the first to admit that a stock GTP would be owned by a TL. And if someone offered to give me a TL I'd wrap my GP around a tree for it...unless it was an AT. I'm curious as to see what aftermarket manufactures build for the TL.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm curious as to see what aftermarket manufactures build for the TL.
Betcha everyone in this forum would agree with you on that point. Too early in the game though to tell...hopefully soon though.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by TheyCallMeSteel
What about me? where am I left, I dont have a GTP or a TL.
Behind a TL that is for sure.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Type S Lady
:lol1:
Old 01-22-2004, 11:06 AM
10th Gear

If I wanted to drive the fastest car, I would go out and find a faster one. I want one that you feel good about driving every day. People can sit in it and comment on how beautiful the interior is and how nice the ride is. People look at the exterior and appreciate how good the car looks. And, yes, there is a performance angle too. If performance is all I cared about, this would not be the car I would choose. However, I was looking for a nice overall package, and this was the car. The Pontiacs are completed pieces of crap...as I posted elsewhere, I don't care if it blows the doors off my car...the faster it pulls away from my TL, the less time I have to look at its ugly design and its fat white trash driver.

By the way, I am not a 16 y.o. domestic basher, I am a 23 y.o. one with enough money and sense to stay away from certain bad cars. It truly is not a domestic/import thing, as I do appreciate many domestics (lots of my friends have modded domestics), I just think that too much emphasis is being placed on the speed of this damn GTP rather than looking at its overall bad package. Don't mean to be a complete a**hole...I just do not understand why so much emphasis is being put on the speed issue when lots of cars can go fast.
To each his own. This is my first car and I'm only 19 and I'm in college so I do not have the resources at this point to buy a new car, it'd just be pointless since I rarely drive anywhere here anyway. I just enjoy working with what I have. Only thing I can't stand about my car is the interior. Like I said, when I graduate I'd love to by an Acura. IMO they're just as good as a BMW and sports a more aggressive, in your face stance while at the sametime not over doing it. Cars are my hobby so I am happy to have an engine with a nice selection of aftermarket parts and to have a powertrain that is relatively easy to work on. I'd hope to just scan through this forum to learn something about a more sophisiticated engine and the experiences that current owners have modding them.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:10 AM
What's a TL?

To each his own. This is my first car and I'm only 19 and I'm in college so I do not have the resources at this point to buy a new car, it'd just be pointless since I rarely drive anywhere here anyway. I just enjoy working with what I have. Only thing I can't stand about my car is the interior. Like I said, when I graduate I'd love to by an Acura. IMO they're just as good as a BMW and sports a more aggressive, in your face stance while at the sametime not over doing it. Cars are my hobby so I am happy to have an engine with a nice selection of aftermarket parts and to have a powertrain that is relatively easy to work on. I'd hope to just scan through this forum to learn something about a more sophisiticated engine and the experiences that current owners have modding them.
Fair enough...you are in the right place...
Old 01-22-2004, 11:44 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
if he was stock, then it is a bs story. But modded, i have seen that car run high 12's. And from a roll its even more so a beast. Becareful with a modded gtp, i promise they will get you everytime, remember forced induction has so much more modding ability.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Type S Lady
Dreams are so nice.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Drifting

Then yours must be extremely fun.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Pro

Well stated. You sound more mature than your 19 years would imply.

Quick Reply: Inevitable: New GTP vs 2k4 TL (kill story)