Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hope Acura is listening (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 06:43 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope Acura is listening (Long)

After reading several reviews and most of the posts on this forum I was drawn to the Acura dealer across the street from my office to see the new TL. I have been a loyal BMW owner for 15 years. Before that, believe it or not, a loyal Honda owner for 10 years.

I was very close to taking a bath and trading in an 03' 530 sprot premium for the TL. I tested 2 different TL6M's. My first words to the dealer....if this car had been available 8 months ago....I would have bought it. Quite a testimony. On my second visit today, and with the help of posts on this forum and Edmunds, I noticed a few things that troubled me.

In reviews I read the 530 was the target audience. Well, if you really want to win me over, please fix a few of what may well be start up problems. Here is what I experienced on both cars I drove. A strange vibration at 55 mph (not like what you get from out of balance tires), a rattle in what apeared to be in the dash, and a very poorly finished seam at the bottom of the rear window glass on both sides.

If you really want the BMW buyer, please fix these minor problems. Yes, we've been spoiled but, believe it or not.....BMW's are not perfect either. You are closer to perfection than you think. In fact, I plan to take a second look early next year.....I hope to find these items fixed.

For those who have already purchased...for the money you got the best deal on the market. I expect the vibration and the rattle will get resolved. As for the seam, I think it depends on the color you choose. The silver mist seems to show the defect more than other colors. All in all....I give this car a 9.5 and if it wasn't gonna cost me a loss of a few grand, I would have done the deal.

Now...Acura...don't let this go to your head...fix the problems and you will be top of the heap....thanks for listening
Old 12-16-2003, 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Thanks for your review. We continue to seek opinions from BMW owners as far as handling and interior comfort. Just so you know, despite what you may read here, not everyone has the vibration you describe--for example, I don't. I also don't have poor sealing of the rear window that you describe. Many of the demos at the dealers, we are told, are early VINs and may be more prone to fit-and-finish problems than later VINs, and you may be noticing that. I have 3200 pretty much trouble-free miles on my 5AT and don't regret the purchase. Don't take too much of a bath on trading your 530 and hopefully we'll hear from you again.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:11 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
VERY NICE neuronbob
Old 12-16-2003, 08:19 PM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by neuronbob
Thanks for your review. We continue to seek opinions from BMW owners as far as handling and interior comfort. Just so you know, despite what you may read here, not everyone has the vibration you describe--for example, I don't. I also don't have poor sealing of the rear window that you describe. Many of the demos at the dealers, we are told, are early VINs and may be more prone to fit-and-finish problems than later VINs, and you may be noticing that. I have 3200 pretty much trouble-free miles on my 5AT and don't regret the purchase. Don't take too much of a bath on trading your 530 and hopefully we'll hear from you again.
Right there with you... I've got a bit of a sqeak in the rear seat area, otherwise nothing. My car is less problematic than my bosses new A8L and my buddy's new Maxima (it was his till the lemon law came and freed him)
Old 12-16-2003, 08:37 PM
Racer

I have no tire issues, rattle issues (there was a bolt loose in the dash that was fixed a couple of days after I bought the car) or bad vibration.........nothing but Good Vibrations- stole that line from a fellow poster. The car's terrific.

I will say that if you have sports seats in your 530i, the TL's will not be as comfortable- comfiest seats I've ever sat in. That's not to say that I don't find the TL's seats comfortable. I find the leather and paint job to be superior in the BMW and it does handle slightly better.

Acura: reliability, faster, better stereo, hands free cell with blue tooth tech., better nav, more horsepower and torque, light years better in snow, Xm radio......BETTER VALUE.

BTW, I have a <500 vin number.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:09 PM
Instructor

My car w/ a 12900 vin is perfect. Like neuronbob said, I'd bet that the car you test drove had an early vin and the production problems that come with any early build. I know the car I test drove had a glove compartment that had to be SLAMMED shut. However, no later cars had this problem & neither has mine...
Old 12-17-2003, 12:09 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I would imagine that the cars available for test driving at the dealerships have gone through several repairs after delivery... probably things that customer A points out will be repaired by the service dept by the time customer B drives the car 3 days later.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:17 AM
Cruisin'

well, within the next two weeks I expect to be able to provide some 'previous BMW owner' feedback.

I am awaiting delivery next week, and will be removed from my BMW to take part in the TL revolution; I too was a previous Honda owner before spoiling myself with the german driving machine's pleasure.

Understanding that so many different folks will experience a large variance in small issues, I hope any that I come across are minor, if any.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:22 AM
Intermediate

The TL I test drove back in mid October has the 'check engine' light on. Saleman didn't say a word about it so I just soldiered on knowing that demo cars, like rentals, are meant to be abused, repaired and then sold (caveat emptor).

BTW, I eagerly awaited and was seriously considering the redesigned 5-series. Just turned out not to be my cup of tea.

04 TL/SSM/Quartz/5AT, <100 miles left in break-in mileage. Yahoo!