i HATE BRAKE DUST

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004 | 05:04 PM
Pro

i HATE BRAKE DUST

I FRIGGIN hat BRAKE DUST...is there anything that i can put on my rims to reduce the amount of brake dust that gets on my wheels? This is one of the things that is also keeping me from getting wheels with intricate designs like MESh...because BRAKE DUST is so friggin frustrating to clean...i clean my car at least once a week ..and because of the BRAKE dust i have to clean my wheels every other day.....Some of you might say that one solution is to get gunmetal rims like the 18 inch oems but that is out of the question because my interior is parchment...it would just clash....so anybody ...help please? i remember reading in a forum from another site that you can put this liquid thing on your rims to minimize the amount of brakedust that gets on your rims....

Old 03-22-2004 | 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Strange, maybe I just clean the car too often, I don't seem to get any build up. They have shields that can be installed, but it may hurt brake cooling. Hopefully someone can help answer this for you.
Old 03-22-2004 | 05:15 PM
Team Nghthwk Whipping Boy

I found a site www.wheelwax.com, they claim that their product repels brake dust. Haven't tried the product yet, though.

Wicked.
Old 03-22-2004 | 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

wax your wheels every so often... when dust gets on them, it will wipe right off
Old 03-22-2004 | 05:53 PM
Pro

Originally posted by WickedWiz
I found a site www.wheelwax.com, they claim that their product repels brake dust. Haven't tried the product yet, though.

Wicked.
i will check this out....hopefully someone who has tried their product will reply
Old 03-22-2004 | 05:56 PM
Pro

Originally posted by cTLgo
wax your wheels every so often... when dust gets on them, it will wipe right off
i wax them....the brake dust wipes off pretty easily...i just want to find a way to reduce the amount of BRAKE Dust that gets on the wheels so that i don't have to clean my wheels every other day...
Old 03-22-2004 | 06:41 PM
4th Gear

The cure is easy. Its called ceramic brake pads. They are awesome.
Old 03-22-2004 | 07:35 PM
TLover

Originally posted by jjtricket
The cure is easy. Its called ceramic brake pads. They are awesome.
and hoe mush are those?
Old 03-22-2004 | 08:06 PM
Safety Car

what are you guys waxing your wheels with? i just got NXT tech wax. i was going to get zaino but that stuff is too expensive and the directions were too long. i know people say it takes 20mins to do a car, that's bs. i washed my car and dried it by hand and that took me over an hour alone.
Old 03-22-2004 | 08:09 PM
Racer

Re: i HATE BRAKE DUST

Originally posted by rynpamn21
I FRIGGIN hat BRAKE DUST...
Do you have the 6 speed w/ Brembo brakes? Indications are that the Brembo pads put out lots more brake dust. I've found that the 5 spd. Auto trans pads make almost no dust. (Try a German car sometime, if your haven't- they you'll know what real brake dust is).

One option (maybe not yet) is to change your pads to a formulation with less dust. That may also affect your stopping distances (not necessarily worse). There may or may not be aftermarket pads yet for the Brembos on the TL. It partially depends if the calipers are a new design or are used elsewhere as well.
Old 03-22-2004 | 08:21 PM
Safety Car

Re: Re: i HATE BRAKE DUST

Originally posted by Hybrid
Do you have the 6 speed w/ Brembo brakes? Indications are that the Brembo pads put out lots more brake dust. I've found that the 5 spd. Auto trans pads make almost no dust. (Try a German car sometime, if your haven't- they you'll know what real brake dust is).

One option (maybe not yet) is to change your pads to a formulation with less dust. That may also affect your stopping distances (not necessarily worse). There may or may not be aftermarket pads yet for the Brembos on the TL. It partially depends if the calipers are a new design or are used elsewhere as well.
last car is a bmw and brake the brake dust is no joke. the brembos on this one is bad but managable. just have to clean it every now and then.
Old 03-22-2004 | 08:37 PM
Banned

I had brake dust when the car was new. Now, I dont have any at all. I do wax my rims though.
Old 03-22-2004 | 08:48 PM
TLover

anyone know the best stuff to wax the rim with? do i have to shine them too or the wax is enough?
Old 03-22-2004 | 09:00 PM
Troublemaker

i had tons of brake dust for the first 5k miles. It has improved a lot though.

Look on the bright side, your dont need to powdercoat your wheels! it powdercoats (brake dust coats) itself
Old 03-23-2004 | 05:25 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Turbowhat2
i had tons of brake dust for the first 5k miles. It has improved a lot though.

Look on the bright side, your dont need to powdercoat your wheels! it powdercoats (brake dust coats) itself
godd point..i just wish that it powder coated them evenly..but the front wheels seem to develop a darker shade....but then again darker rims don't look good on WDP w/ parchment interior...eheheheh...so anybody pls....:think:
Old 03-23-2004 | 06:52 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Re: i HATE BRAKE DUST

Originally posted by rynpamn21
I FRIGGIN hat BRAKE DUST...is there anything that i can put on my rims to reduce the amount of brake dust that gets on my wheels? This is one of the things that is also keeping me from getting wheels with intricate designs like MESh...because BRAKE DUST is so friggin frustrating to clean...i clean my car at least once a week ..and because of the BRAKE dust i have to clean my wheels every other day.....Some of you might say that one solution is to get gunmetal rims like the 18 inch oems but that is out of the question because my interior is parchment...it would just clash....so anybody ...help please? i remember reading in a forum from another site that you can put this liquid thing on your rims to minimize the amount of brakedust that gets on your rims....

Dude, you don't know brake dust. My wife's Land Rover Discover churns out about an ounce of brake dust a day.
Old 03-26-2004 | 05:24 PM
Pro

Re: Re: i HATE BRAKE DUST

Originally posted by Swat Dude
Dude, you don't know brake dust. My wife's Land Rover Discover churns out about an ounce of brake dust a day.
Lol so does my F150...when i see my F150 i don't even notice the BRAKE DUST on my TL ...but still..i want something to help clean it off....
Old 03-27-2004 | 09:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

I don't remember the name of the company but I heard their is a product on the market that works like an inner hubcap. You place it between the disc and wheel and the cap keeps the dust from getting to the outside. Ill try to find the name if anyone's interested.
Old 03-27-2004 | 10:52 AM