Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got spanked by an E55 today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by SpecialFX
If you have no respect for the laws designed for your safety and for others you should not drive. Period.
Not all these laws were designed for anybody's safety . Come to Oregon. We have 24/7 school zones. Yes, 24/7. That means it can be 3 in the morning on christmas day, but you still have to drive 20mph on that given stretch of road. And yes, they are heavily enforced. This 24/7 law was just passed a few months ago. There is a street on my way to work. The street has a 45mph limit, but then a 1/2 stretch in front of the high school, has a 24/7 school zone, where cops always hide-out.

On a side note, there is an elementary school not far away, that does not have a 24/7 school zone. You would think an elementary school should be the one with stricter school zones, not a high school.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:26 PM
checkmate...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey sufall96, which side of the CCC were you on? They took forever to respray that bridge. Still touching up the Westbound bridge too.

I agree with ya on the Benz. I've never liked any other Benz before or since. This is the only one I would consider owning. The only proper sports sedan Benz.

Of course, I'll have to wait until that tree I planted in my backyard starts sprouting greens in the denomination of Benjamins (as-seen-on-tv), it's only dropping change now . That immature 'lil sappling.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is still alive?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet
This is still alive?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:32 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

You guys have all been VERY helpfull in here. I've decided to sell my TL and buy the new CLS55 ///AMG I'll be seeing you all in my rear view mirror form now on!!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Cruisin'

I think people need to realize that in Germany drivers are used to seeing very fast machines blowing by them and in the USA thay are not. People here freak out and get mad when the speeds seem to get much above 100 mph. SUV's in the left lane cause lots of wrecks.
And in Europe people flash lights when they pass and people don't putt around in the fast lane either. I had my TL up to about 120 once and it got a bit floaty at that speed, its suspension is not tuned for that kind of constant speed. I had a RSX-S with Mugen and comptech goodies and it could cruise at an easy 110 on most interstates. I have motorcycles and I have roadraced them as well.
So if I'm by myself on a road I'll wick it up, but never with a passenger and I don't race anyone on the road. Thats what racetracks are for. We all enjoy a row through the gears, thats why we bought the TL. But its a family sedan touring car, not a sports car.
People that constantly race on the road ought to get to a track and get an SCCA license or roadracing license and get their ass humbly handed to them.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bayTL
I think people need to realize that in Germany drivers are used to seeing very fast machines blowing by them and in the USA thay are not. People here freak out and get mad when the speeds seem to get much above 100 mph. SUV's in the left lane cause lots of wrecks.
And in Europe people flash lights when they pass and people don't putt around in the fast lane either. I had my TL up to about 120 once and it got a bit floaty at that speed, its suspension is not tuned for that kind of constant speed. I had a RSX-S with Mugen and comptech goodies and it could cruise at an easy 110 on most interstates. I have motorcycles and I have roadraced them as well.
So if I'm by myself on a road I'll wick it up, but never with a passenger and I don't race anyone on the road. Thats what racetracks are for. We all enjoy a row through the gears, thats why we bought the TL. But its a family sedan touring car, not a sports car.
People that constantly race on the road ought to get to a track and get an SCCA license or roadracing license and get their ass humbly handed to them.
Well said! Even though I don't agree with the last part.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bayTL
Roger that. I was shocked at how squirrely this TL is at speed. But then I'm running Michelin M3 snows and I'm hoping when I change over to my street tires it's gets better. Please tell me it gets better. (clinching jaw.)
Old 03-02-2005, 11:22 PM
信是寶

Originally Posted by SnappyPappy
Roger that. I was shocked at how squirrely this TL is at speed. But then I'm running Michelin M3 snows and I'm hoping when I change over to my street tires it's gets better. Please tell me it gets better. (clinching jaw.)

Dunlop M3s? That is what I am running ... the TL does pretty good with those tires ... it is not as "tight" as it could be - not like my Mercury Sable - which is a real rocket! I am getting the A-spec suspension and wheels this weekend and hopefully it will make it a little more stable.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tecciztecatl
Dunlop M3s? That is what I am running ... the TL does pretty good with those tires ... it is not as "tight" as it could be - not like my Mercury Sable - which is a real rocket! I am getting the A-spec suspension and wheels this weekend and hopefully it will make it a little more stable.
Ya, I've heard lightening the wallet makes the car faster too! What does that kit set you back?
Old 03-03-2005, 08:43 PM
信是寶

Ya, I've heard lightening the wallet makes the car faster too! What does that kit set you back?

I only got the wheels ($1060), tires ($680), shocks/springs ($660) and lock lugs ($35) all with shipping charges already calculated in. I am getting it all installed at the dealer this weekend @ approx 4-5 hrs I didn't get the body kit, since I don't like the way the front looks .... I do have the lip spoiler. I will post before and after pics, so people can see the drop diff.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Racer

Question

Are the last 4 post related to the topic?
Old 03-12-2005, 12:31 PM
I like to mod teh Bimmer

Originally Posted by sufall96
I would admit that speed is one of my hangups and I must admit I do get a thrill out of running the TL, but there's a difference between driving wild and driving fast. I would consider myself as a fast driver but not a wild driver. I know people that drive fast and wild and that's not me. We gracefully were in and out of traffic without cutting people off and almost causing accidents. Once there was open road I don't see anything wrong with letting it rip from there. I think the speed limits ought to be raised anyway. What's the point of having 469 hp and 516 pound ft. of torque and you can't even use it, or even 270 hp for that matter. Everyone doesn't get a chance to go to an open track to test their car out. That's if there is even one nearby anyway. For that matter auto makers should make all low hp cars just to get us from point A to B.

Oh and by the way I think the other adult was a doctor. We exited off and he pulled into the hospital. Good to see how our physicians these days have a little fun.
The point of having 469hp is so you can use it on the track at Sebring or on the Autobahn. Mercedes just knows that the E55 will sell well here too. It is far too overqualified for most American roads.

And the TL has 270hp so you can enjoy it, not drive at reckless speeds. Perhaps you'd enjoy a 110hp Jetta??????

I drive fast every so often, but not that fast.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Advanced

One of my buddies just bought an e55 2 weeks ago, and i saw it for the first time this past weekend. That car is a freakin beast and there is no way that a TL can take that car on.
I don't know if the amg package comes with that car or not, but my friend had the full AMG package, and a butt load of other option he doesn't need. I will say, our navigation is better then the mercedes navigation, but that is about it.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by yourpoison
One of my buddies just bought an e55 2 weeks ago, and i saw it for the first time this past weekend. That car is a freakin beast and there is no way that a TL can take that car on.
I don't know if the amg package comes with that car or not, but my friend had the full AMG package, and a butt load of other option he doesn't need. I will say, our navigation is better then the mercedes navigation, but that is about it.
What did the beast $$set Mr Deep Pockets back? I won't even ask about service after the 50k free maintenance. Or gas mileage. Or property tax. Or Insurance premiums. Course if he only drive it 5,000 miles a year some of those costs want materilize. . . It's a lot to pay for an automotive hard one.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Advanced

What did the beast $$set Mr Deep Pockets back? I won't even ask about service after the 50k free maintenance. Or gas mileage. Or property tax. Or Insurance premiums. Course if he only drive it 5,000 miles a year some of those costs want materilize. . . It's a lot to pay for an automotive hard one.

I forgot the exact number but it was under 100 k but over 95 k. Gas mileage on the sticker said 18 mpg in the city. I know the payments are like 1500 a month, but i forgot for how long. Sorry, didn't really get into the payments and all that too much... He drives like a madman, first week he had it, got a ticket for doing 90 in a 45 and i'm sure that is not the last of them.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by yourpoison
I forgot the exact number but it was under 100 k but over 95 k. Gas mileage on the sticker said 18 mpg in the city. I know the payments are like 1500 a month, but i forgot for how long. Sorry, didn't really get into the payments and all that too much... He drives like a madman, first week he had it, got a ticket for doing 90 in a 45 and i'm sure that is not the last of them.
Yep. About what our house payment is. AND we never got a ticket even once in it.