Old 02-25-2005, 08:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ah...to be young and stupid
Old 02-25-2005, 08:41 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smittymac
If you guys are so set against anything going over 70 because you claim it is dangerous, what do you think about driving 140+ on the autobon, where it is legal?
There's a BIT of a difference.

Driver education in Germany is more stringent, their domestic vehicles are designed for sustained high-speed cruising, and their safety inspection process is more thorough. Their roads aren't like the pock-marked Long Island Expressway.

Some of you seem to think that Germany is a speed-demon's nirvana. Guess again. The high speed limits are only on certain roads and only under certain conditions. Fines for moving violations are steep.

Look at it this way. Assume that you're a great, safe driver (and based on what I've read from some of you that's a bad assumption). Your TL is a safe car capable of 150MPH. The road conditions are perfect for high speed driving...

...How safe will you feel sharing the road with an '83 K-car with bad brakes and an inexperienced driver doing 80MPH next to you BECAUSE HE CAN? Just because you can presumably drive safely at high speeds doesn't mean that everyone can. Inspection procedures vary from state to state, and aren't always enforced the way they should. How confident are you in the other driver and car?

That's my
Old 02-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Originally Posted by HotBoyinDaAcura
ya know people get killed everyday, people get paralyzed everyday and im sorry that you had to witness things like that but then i ask myself, what are you doing on a car enthusiasts site, why arent you like weeping over christopher reeves or something
Ya know, you can be a car enthusiast and have a common sense.

Ummm...maybe not you, but *I* can.

What Aging Bull said bears repeating...

"ah...to be young and stupid"

Now to add something of my own (actually borrowed from elsewhere):

"A smart man learns from his own mistakes, but a WISE man learns from the mistakes of others."

Regards,
Old 02-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by iLL TL
the most i did was like 148... do you know if the TL cuts out at a certain speed?
No not really.

1.) I'll either have to try myself and see or,
2.) Find someone that has done the full 160 or maybe close to it to see if it does cut off.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by leeherman
The Federal government tried that once. I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember the 85 MPH limit on speedometers from the seventies through the eighties. I think it was done to encourage more economical driving.

The top speed printed on a speedometer isn't relevant to this thread. 120MPH is fine on a track or closed course, but it's irresponsible and reckless on public roads no matter how you try to convince yourself otherwise. Remember kids, just because your car can do 150MPH+ doesn't mean that you SHOULD do it.

I *strongly* encourage those of you with something to prove to do so on a closed course of some kind. I hope to get my TL to the dragstrip once, this year, to get some 1/4 mile timeslips. It'll be fun and safe. I race my '69 Dodge Dart periodically, and I even took my former '93 Toyota Camry V6 XLE down the track a few times.

Feh...what do I know. I'm just an 36 year old geezer...
1.) I'm only 27 but I do remember my parents cars and pretty much everybody cars for that matter having only 85 mph on the odometer. At least the ones I remember seeing.

2.) Who buys an everyday driving car with pretty good or what some people would think a lot of power(270 hp +) to only use it when it's time to go to the track.
I know guys that are into racing and their cars aren't even set up fot the street. Anyway what I'm am trying to say is that all of these street legal cars are designed for the street and highways not the track. You ever wondered why cars for the track are not meant for everyday driving. Society shows us one thing but tries to enforce something else. From magazines to the commercials(Cadillac, Acura Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti) I can go on and on. I've seen at least one if not more commercials from these companies showing off their new car on the street or highway beeing a badass. Why even show a car on the road doing outrageous things then flash across the bottom screen and say this is a closed course and a professional driver so do not attempt. I think they ought to promote more safely driving if that is what this country wants. It's almost like if I were to promote doing drugs in my house to my kids and chastise them for doing it.

Don't promote one thing if you actually want something else.
Practice what you preach.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Instructor

wreckedexotics.com
They have some good pics of the unfortunate outcome of a reace between and M5 and E55. Just fuel for the fire.

That web site also has a good photo of an 04 TL that was t-boned. Held up pretty well.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Instructor

yea im tired of everyone being so damn critical of speeding, everyone does to some extent. I personally dont speed that often because I dont like tickets, however i am known to push 100 on the highway while cruising just to make time. I would refuse to have to federal government regulate how fast my car can go because that is just another thing that only people who brake the law will have control of. This country is not founded on what we are not allowed to do as most of you know we came here because of over regulation from another goverment. Back to my point about law breakers, lets say we regulate the sale of handguns (which we have already done) now i cant get a handgun legally right? well the freakin thug, rapist, murderer whichever you prefer will eventually have a gun because he will track one down through his circle of criminal friends. I still dont have a gun so now he can come to my house rape my wife kill me and leave before one cop would even knock on the door. Back to the point at hand, if we regulate cars speeds only the people who break the law will be changing their cars to make them faster so in the meantime ill will be getting passed by a bunch of illegal cars doing illegal things so i just dont think we should give that priviledge to those who break the law it just makes breaking the law that much more fun.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Banned

"we" did not come here.....i don't remember the slaves being asked if they wanted to come, amongst other people...........and you should move your ass out of ghetto jacksonville if he could rape your wife first, and then kill you......like were you going to watch him rape your wife first, and then let him kill you? edumacation? Hello?

yea im tired of everyone being so damn critical of speeding, everyone does to some extent. I personally dont speed that often because I dont like tickets, however i am known to push 100 on the highway while cruising just to make time. I would refuse to have to federal government regulate how fast my car can go because that is just another thing that only people who brake the law will have control of. This country is not founded on what we are not allowed to do as most of you know we came here because of over regulation from another goverment. Back to my point about law breakers, lets say we regulate the sale of handguns (which we have already done) now i cant get a handgun legally right? well the freakin thug, rapist, murderer whichever you prefer will eventually have a gun because he will track one down through his circle of criminal friends. I still dont have a gun so now he can come to my house rape my wife kill me and leave before one cop would even knock on the door. Back to the point at hand, if we regulate cars speeds only the people who break the law will be changing their cars to make them faster so in the meantime ill will be getting passed by a bunch of illegal cars doing illegal things so i just dont think we should give that priviledge to those who break the law it just makes breaking the law that much more fun.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Smittymac
For all you guys that blasted him & will blast him, don't ever go to Germany and drive on the Autobon (SP)
Germany spends *much* more money per mile on their autobahn than we spend on our highways. They built it and maintain it for high speed use. Plus, German drivers are expecting people to drive as fast as they want on those stretches that allow it. So, this is not a good comparison.

120mph is safe in the right car as some folks mentioned, but it's risky at best on most of our highways. If you're addicted to speed, find a track - it's much safer for everyone.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:42 AM
BusterPup Maniac

Hi. I'm not trying to start trouble, but I love a good debate.

I noticed one of the moderators laying the smack down on a guy for testing his car against an E55 in traffic. I don't believe in zipping in and out of traffic either, but. When should the horsepower come in handy?...At the track or dragstrip?...in a TL? I guess he was being politically correct for this site, because there is no point in having a tremendous amount of horsepower if you are not gonna show it off now and again. If you say wait until there is no traffic then you are still condoning illegal activity on public streets.

So again, what good is the horsepower and all of the mods and all of the advice to tweak more performance from your car? When is it appropriate to use this?
Old 02-27-2005, 02:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tjker
"we" did not come here.....i don't remember the slaves being asked if they wanted to come, amongst other people...........and you should move your ass out of ghetto jacksonville if he could rape your wife first, and then kill you......like were you going to watch him rape your wife first, and then let him kill you? edumacation? Hello?
YA know what I was talking about people like myself such as wasps i wasnt speaking about nationality but if you are stuck on slavery still you should join the NAACP and have a good time being negative and looking for what is wrong with people, and on the note of someone raping my wife, my whole point was that only criminals will have guns therefore they have a power over me because up until last year they had the ability to get more powerful weapons than me because of all the gun laws that were instigated by our former weak ass president bill clinton( notice i dont even capitalize his name because he doesnt deserve it) so think about what you are talking about before you try to come back with some bullshit trying to make me look stupid. btw jacksonville isnt some ghetto and i live in a nice enough area where i dont have to worry about anything happening i could leave my TL and my house unlocked if I felt like it but maybe you should since you live in such a great neighborhood where you feel like its that much better than mine but remember that 1000 people a day move to florida and i live in the #1 most coveted community in north florida its called JULINGTON CREEK PLANTATION look it up because im sure you probably wish you lived here, let me know if you want pictures because im sure i can make you wish you didnt live where you do you fucking piece of shit, shit talking idiot. You werent even picking at my main points but oh well i guess that went over your head have a good day and enjoy your TL that probably isnt even as nice as mine i hope your transmission fails bitch
Old 02-27-2005, 05:05 AM
BusterPup Maniac

OK, 1st an apology to everybody and 2nd, an ass-chewing to a younger and less respecting friend of mine who posted under my name from a different pc (that's what I get for not signing out).

As a TSX owner I rarely visit the TL side of the fence and would have remained ignorant if he hadn't fessed up. I strongly disagree with driving recklessly in traffic. I don't care if you are Mario Andretti, if you are whipping in and out of civilian traffic at high speeds, you are playing with fire. The only problem is that you are not the only one who can get burned.

In the past, my friend and I have giggled at how these sites can seemingly promote the tweaking of engines and offer advice on enhanced performance while at the same time oppose any abnormal display of horsepower on public streets. I usually prefer to keep such opinions to myself unless asked, however my friend, who has modded his 287hp car to well over 300hp thought it would be cute or funny to post. He won't be doing it again, not under my name.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:30 AM
Racer

YA know what I was talking about people like myself such as wasps i wasnt speaking about nationality but if you are stuck on slavery still you should join the NAACP and have a good time being negative and looking for what is wrong with people, and on the note of someone raping my wife, my whole point was that only criminals will have guns therefore they have a power over me because up until last year they had the ability to get more powerful weapons than me because of all the gun laws that were instigated by our former weak ass president bill clinton( notice i dont even capitalize his name because he doesnt deserve it) so think about what you are talking about before you try to come back with some bullshit trying to make me look stupid. btw jacksonville isnt some ghetto and i live in a nice enough area where i dont have to worry about anything happening i could leave my TL and my house unlocked if I felt like it but maybe you should since you live in such a great neighborhood where you feel like its that much better than mine but remember that 1000 people a day move to florida and i live in the #1 most coveted community in north florida its called JULINGTON CREEK PLANTATION look it up because im sure you probably wish you lived here, let me know if you want pictures because im sure i can make you wish you didnt live where you do you fucking piece of shit, shit talking idiot. You werent even picking at my main points but oh well i guess that went over your head have a good day and enjoy your TL that probably isnt even as nice as mine i hope your transmission fails bitch

It's okay to have a difference in opinion but in the words of Rodney King, WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Let's get back to talking about cars and not personalities so this thread can stay open.

Please.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Advanced

There's a BIT of a difference.

Driver education in Germany is more stringent, their domestic vehicles are designed for sustained high-speed cruising, and their safety inspection process is more thorough. Their roads aren't like the pock-marked Long Island Expressway.

Some of you seem to think that Germany is a speed-demon's nirvana. Guess again. The high speed limits are only on certain roads and only under certain conditions. Fines for moving violations are steep.

Look at it this way. Assume that you're a great, safe driver (and based on what I've read from some of you that's a bad assumption). Your TL is a safe car capable of 150MPH. The road conditions are perfect for high speed driving...

...How safe will you feel sharing the road with an '83 K-car with bad brakes and an inexperienced driver doing 80MPH next to you BECAUSE HE CAN? Just because you can presumably drive safely at high speeds doesn't mean that everyone can. Inspection procedures vary from state to state, and aren't always enforced the way they should. How confident are you in the other driver and car?

That's my
I don't think there is that much differance. Yes, Germany has a harder test to obtail your lisense, but that still doesn't mean that everyone is still a good driver. I also know that Germany isn't some speed demon country, but the autobaun is an extreamly fast highway, but everyone isn't going fast as fast as you. Also, every highway in the US isn't messed up. I was in the military and been to a few different places and found stretches of 10 mile highway that was straight and free from potholes, and verry little traffic at all. Thoes were the places I would take my motorcycle & run it up to about 150 or so. I don't see a problem with anyone doing the same thing with their car if they found a raod like that. The only thing is don't be upset if & when a cop stops you.
Like some one said, accidents happen. But they can happen in Germany on the autobaun, or on I95, no matter how good of a driver you are there is still that idiot infront, behind, or beside you so except the risk for your own actions.
As for the other comment about German cars being made for fast highway driving and Japanese cars aren't; I say BS. All new cars today are built for that kind of driving, American, German, or Japanese.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Instructor

I really agree with smitty mac, and as far a tjker goes i dont really care what you have to say, im sorry about getting all crazy on him to the forum but not to him because he deserved that after what he said so i still hope his tranny fails and he can join the NAACP if he is so concerned about his african american brotherhood. Thats all I have to say about that
Old 02-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Pro

We are all jealous of where you live. You pretty much just wiped out any points you might have made in any of your previous postings with this utterly stupid, uncontrolled response to Tkjer's post.

Tkjer: You're right, nobody asked the slaves if they wanted to come here. Nobody is saying that anyone has to stay here either. And it was obvious what was being said by hotboy in the post that you quoted. You twisted his words to suit what you wanted to say. Pretty childish...

Anyway, I got a good chance to admire an E55 up close and spoke with the owner a bit. Probably the nicest looking Merc I've seen, but not worth the money IMO. A very, very nice car though. He did have alot of compliments for me and my TL too. I got the impression that he stretched himself a bit on the purchase of the E55, and was happy but seemed to have a bit of buyers remorse. Probably not the car itself, just the chunk of his wallet that is missing.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Racer

I really agree with smitty mac, and as far a tjker goes i dont really care what you have to say, im sorry about getting all crazy on him to the forum but not to him because he deserved that after what he said so i still hope his tranny fails and he can join the NAACP if he is so concerned about his african american brotherhood. Thats all I have to say about that

This thread was not started for a racial war.
Get back to the topic.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by sufall96
This thread was not started for a racial war.
Get back to the topic.

2nd warning.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:59 AM
Instructor

my final response to anything is that i my original statement about why we came her and such wasnt at any certain group or so im sorry if that offended anyone, on the other hand this just a forum and i will say what i want. If i get kicked out so be it, my life will go on pretty much the same i just wont be able to talk on the forum. Im glad that Tjker could bring out the racism in what i said because he was probably raised by idiots and those are the kinds of things that idiots look for. Im done i dont care and have a nice day.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:31 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) Bird flies into windshield
2) Deer or other animal runs onto road
3) Tire blowout
4) Unexpected pothole or debris in roadway

You're doing 120MPH on a straight highway, it's dry and sunny, and there's no traffic. Fine. Whaddya do if one of the above COMMON scenarios occurs?

Sorry, anyone driving at those speeds on public roads deserves jail time and a lost license. They also deserve the injuries they will likely sustain in an accident, but they're just as likely to hurt or kill their passengers or others on the road.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggg gh!

Amen. These posts are moronic. The idiots who do things like this are the same ones who complain when they get caught speeding or some other infraction. Driving is a privilege, not a God-given right. If you have no respect for the laws designed for your safety and for others you should not drive. Period. Driving fast is more than pressing your foot hard to the floor. Spend some time on the track and you'll learn that. And as for the Autobahn, how is that even relevant? It's not in this country and our rules do not apply.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpecialFX
Amen. These posts are moronic. The idiots who do things like this are the same ones who complain when they get caught speeding or some other infraction. Driving is a privilege, not a God-given right. If you have no respect for the laws designed for your safety and for others you should not drive. Period. Driving fast is more than pressing your foot hard to the floor. Spend some time on the track and you'll learn that. And as for the Autobahn, how is that even relevant? It's not in this country and our rules do not apply.
First of all, no one complained about getting caught, (read my other post). As for the laws, speeding is speeding. If you are doing 80 in a 70, you are breaking the law (WE ALL HAVE, INCLUDING YOU AS WELL). doing 120 in a 70 is also breaking the law so unless you have never broken the speed limit in your entire life you have no room to judge anyone else who does the samething. As for the track, 99.9999% of us have never driven or ridden (motorcycles) competitively on a track in their life time (I have) Lastly, me comparing the Autobaun is relevent in every aspect besides breaking the American speed law. It was said that high speed are safe depending on road & car conditions. However, thoes same conditions still apply on the autobaun, the only differance is that here it is against the law to go that fast. On a clear day no one complains about going thoes speeds on the autobaun, but if it was raining, and one of your wheels had a wobble, it is dark, and only 1 of your headlights work, that makes speeding dangerous no matter where you do it.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:37 AM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wicked looking
Old 02-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Advanced

Read some stuff on this thread about the Autobahn and some of it is just untrue (not trying to start a fight here..just informing). I believe the History Channel had a show about the Autobahn and some differences between US highways.

Some points of information:

-Structually the autobahn is better than US Highways in that they use better pavement and it also like 7 inches thicker, whereas the US Highways are only 3-4 inches thicker. This ensures the road being in good condition less potholes etc. to provide a means for cars to go as fast as they want.
-The Autobahn does have speed limits in certain areas and while there are areas (usually the open road, less congested areas, etc.) where they don't have speed limits there are "suggested" speed limits.
-As for drivers being better than US drivers...matter of opinion here, but their laws are enforced to discourage what most of us consider "bad drivers". For instance you WILL get a ticket for driving slow in the fast lane...it just doesn't happen over there because they know better it is enforced. (See the other thread about how most of us feel about slow drivers in the fast lane).
-Tailgating is also consider a major offense and you will get a ticket for this as well.
-Speaking of tickets...the fines are A LOT more sensible and will hit you in the pocket regardless of how much you make. Their fines are based on % of how much you make as oppose to a set $ limit. What's a $200 fine for some who makes $1Million, but how about a 5% fine of what you make. (Not sure of the exact % just an example) But during the show they interviewed one cop and they asked what was his largest fine he gave out and it came out to hundred of thousands of $'s US.
-In terms of licenses the actual cost is awfully expensive compared to the US. Because of this their mentality is having a license is a privilege and not a right.

Just some of the information that I learned..but essentially what I'm saying is the Autobahn and US Highways in terms of structure and drivers can not be compared. The Autobahn is far more superior which is why they can drive that fast.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:34 AM
信是寶

It's Autobahn!

Originally Posted by Jerky

wicked looking
Hey who put those A-Spec rims on the Benz?!?

Anywho, so some guy posts a quick story about his little encounter with the 55 and then people have to get all bent out of shape because he "got on it" for a bit. :ghey:

Well, my advice to you is just stay in the right lane and do the speed limit - not everyone can handle the "danger!" (because that's my middle name, Baby) It just makes me wonder, why did you folks buy a TL anyway?!? I heard those old Pintos keep ya at a safe speed.

And yes, the reference to the Autobahn was to the guy who said how dangerous it was driving at a high rate of speed - it is not - if all the conditions are right.

Hey, any idiot that races in traffic and puts other lives in danger should be shot - no argument there. But when I cruising on the highway and want to let her run for a few miles. Move over Rover, and let Jimi take over - yeah you know what I am talking about!

Hey sufall96, I have done the same, we had a clear shot and I took a quick run. I was running a modified Mustang and it just ate me up at around 100mph - just can't compete with the big V-8s, of course that crappy Tang was nothing compared to the Benz and couldn't stick in the corner like the TL either.

And to the two boneheads above - stop it!:gheyfight:

(am I using enough smilies?)
Old 02-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Advanced

Not trying to get into a fight either , I also saw that show a few months ago, but because the highway is 8 inches thick does help a lot, but like I said before all US highways are not shitty, I have found a few where I can go on a 10 mile straight with no pot holes, and verry few drivers. IMO if the conditions )car, highway, weather, and driver) permit it, I don't see a problem with speeding at all. However, like I said before, don't bitch when a cop stops you.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
:gheyfight:

This is funny, I haven't seen all the new smiles!
Old 02-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Racer

Some of us have lives that are actually worth something and the thought of some twit out on the roads trying to have "fun" and endangering myself (as well as my wife and child) for a cheap thrill gets me - and others apparently - a bit upset. I have exceeded the posted limits myself but if you read the original post you will notice that this was not an incident that took place in the middle of the desert with no one around for a hundred miles. This was on a highway with other cars. Note the driver "ducked in and out of traffic". At 130 on a crowded road no one is safe. As one matures you realize that this type of "fun" is just stupid. For some people that realization comes slowly. Some never get there at all. They deserve the full Rodney King treatment.

Yeah, the E55 is an awesome car. The TL is pretty nice, too. I wouldn't be happy about being drilled by either one of them just because the driver was playing games.

And it's always funny that people will write things on the internet that they'd never say in person. Talk about :ghey:
Old 02-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Racer

Ok, I actually got to drive an E55-AMG. NIIIIIIIIIICE. I was waiting to pull up to a light with a Vet to actually get some competition, but no takers. So who in their right mind would bother trying to race one in their TL, *LMAO*. The E55 can leave a black line of rubber on the pavement with the traction control turned on, last time i checked my TL couldn't. It is a VERY nice car though, if I had the money,I would definitly buy it.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Advanced

And it's always funny that people will write things on the internet that they'd never say in person. Talk about :ghey:
I am assuming that isn't pointed at me.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Racer

No, just a general statement. Some people feel they have a right to do whatever they want, regardless of the consequences to themselves or others. The point is that besides the conditions allowing for the speed (including weather, road, traffic, vehicle, etc.) the simple fact that those kinds of speeds are illegal should factor into the equation. Some people don't care about the laws. Those people do not need to drive. When I hear or read about someone bragging about their blatant disregard for laws and others' safety (i.e. that of myself and my family) it doesn't sit well.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Straight outta JERSEY ...

The Car Is Sickkkkk ...

Old 02-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrchoopa2u

Sheesh! Look at the castor angle on those front wheels! Early on I had a 450se Mercedes sedan. And at full wheel lock the front tires looked like they were falling out of the wheel wells. Very few have the suspension tricks of Mercedes and BMW. That's one of the things that make these cars so stable at high speeds (lots of castor angle) The TL is squirrely as hell at speeds. Too light and not very good suspension geometry. As a stop light racer fine - as a high speed cruiser not so fine. You just can't compare these cars to Mercedes or BMWs. I use the TL for work. . .I certainly wouldn't be driving a Mercedes for the places I visit, not to mention the wallet sucking prices of those puppies. Ya the wife has a BMW 330i but that was our big splurg last year. Besides she deserves it . . . She puts up with ME. .. !
Old 02-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jerky

wicked looking
Old 02-28-2005, 11:55 PM
Racer

Some of us have lives that are actually worth something and the thought of some twit out on the roads trying to have "fun" and endangering myself (as well as my wife and child) for a cheap thrill gets me - and others apparently - a bit upset. I have exceeded the posted limits myself but if you read the original post you will notice that this was not an incident that took place in the middle of the desert with no one around for a hundred miles. This was on a highway with other cars. Note the driver "ducked in and out of traffic". At 130 on a crowded road no one is safe. As one matures you realize that this type of "fun" is just stupid. For some people that realization comes slowly. Some never get there at all. They deserve the full Rodney King treatment.

Yeah, the E55 is an awesome car. The TL is pretty nice, too. I wouldn't be happy about being drilled by either one of them just because the driver was playing games.

I understand what you are saying but like I stated before we did not danger anyone but ourseleves running at that speed. Maybe one of our tires could have blown out or something like that.(God forbid) But I can't speak for every driver in the country or even on this site for that matter. All I can account for is me and I did break the law and I'm pretty sure you have too at some point or another but I don't think I endangered anyone else by doing it, and I'm pretty sure we all look back at things in life and say to ourseleves "I was stupid". But hey that's life. This is part of the reason I purchased the car. It is a pretty fast car, among a slew of other features. Like I said before maybe auto makers should only make cars just to get from point A to B. But I'm glad they don't, because I'm not one of those people that likes to drive dull like that. I want a car with some oooooooomph!

Oh and by the way I did get on the my cell phone to tell my brother-in-law and several of my friends about my encounter with the E55 before this thread was even posted.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:57 PM
Racer

[ It is a VERY nice car though, if I had the money,I would definitly buy it.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-01-2005, 12:15 AM
Racer

[ I use the TL for work. . .I certainly wouldn't be driving a Mercedes for the places I visit, not to mention the wallet sucking prices of those puppies. Ya the wife has a BMW 330i but that was our big splurg last year. Besides she deserves it . . . She puts up with ME. .. ! [/QUOTE]

It depends on the Benz. That's what gets me with people. They classify Mercedes as top of the line. I would certainly drive a C230 Kompressor to the mall and leave the TL or RL at home or maybe even the NSX. Which are much finer cars. Now if you are talking a $60,000 E500 or an $81,000 E55 ect, then you are talking. Be specific and don't generalize.

PS Even though this is not common, Anyway a friend of mine grandfather passed away and left him a pile of money(in the millions), and he actually does drive his Mercedes to work (his own business) and to the mall ect. But he drives his Bentley Coupe to important places. Now who is top of the line. Just my .02
Old 03-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TLNJ
Some points of information:

-Structually the autobahn is better than US Highways in that they use better pavement and it also like 7 inches thicker, whereas the US Highways are only 3-4 inches thicker. This ensures the road being in good condition less potholes etc. to provide a means for cars to go as fast as they want.
-The Autobahn does have speed limits in certain areas and while there are areas (usually the open road, less congested areas, etc.) where they don't have speed limits there are "suggested" speed limits.
Something else to note in this vein is that on the unrestricted portions of the autobahn, the "recommended" speed limit is generally 130 km/h. The reason it is significant is that if you are involved in an accident in which you were exceeding 130 km/h, there is a good chance that you will get reduced coverage from your insurance carrier under the theory that by exceeding the "recommended" limit you "increased the risk" of an accident.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sufall96
[ I use the TL for work. . .I certainly wouldn't be driving a Mercedes for the places I visit, not to mention the wallet sucking prices of those puppies. Ya the wife has a BMW 330i but that was our big splurg last year. Besides she deserves it . . . She puts up with ME. .. !

It depends on the Benz. That's what gets me with people. They classify Mercedes as top of the line. I would certainly drive a C230 Kompressor to the mall and leave the TL or RL at home or maybe even the NSX. Which are much finer cars. Now if you are talking a $60,000 E500 or an $81,000 E55 ect, then you are talking. Be specific and don't generalize.

PS Even though this is not common, Anyway a friend of mine grandfather passed away and left him a pile of money(in the millions), and he actually does drive his Mercedes to work (his own business) and to the mall ect. But he drives his Bentley Coupe to important places. Now who is top of the line. Just my .02[/QUOTE]

Hmmmn, sorry I wasn't specific enough for you on my choice of Mercedes. I thought this tread was discussing the E55 Mercedes. Frankly, I would not purchase a C230. I purchased the TL which frankly I think is superior to most of the 'C' class of Mercedes. I've owned a 450SE Mercedes a few years back and it was a bear for maintenance. ALWAYs something going wrong and big bucks to repair. Even my wife's new BMW just had major work done at 25,000. Had the entire distributor (electronic) wiring harness and 6 spark coils replaced. Fortunetly, under warrantee. There are a lot of financial considerations that go into purchasing this breed of automobile. Not to mention insurance, property taxes, maintenance and gas mileage. So when I say I would NOT purchase a high end Mercedes i.e. E55 or E500 all of that is taken into consideration. Besides I drive in bad (read ghetto) sections of Hartford and evirons ocassionally, because I have to visit Medicare beneficiaris. I am a medical examiner. But hey, it's always nice to have a dream and someday maybe you'll be driving that E55.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Quick Reply: I got spanked by an E55 today!