Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can't decide! Accord or TL

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 01:22 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't decide! Accord or TL

I hate to start this thread again, but I'm having such a hard time trying to justify the extra cost of the TL. Its right on the bleeding edge of my budget.

I know the TL has a nicer interior, HID, more horsepower, better audio, bluetooth, better warranty, and it certainly looks better.

But the price difference -- especially considering the Accord can be had for a lot less than MSRP -- is huge. For me, including insurance, it comes down to a $240/month difference in payment.

I've test driven both. I loved both, but the drives were far enough apart that it wasn't really an A/B comparison.

Please! Talk me into the TL!
Old 08-20-2004, 01:31 AM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I came from a 2003 Accord coupe 6mt/navi. Get the TL. You wont regret it. The TL handles much better than the Accord coupe 6mt. A lot of people think that the 6mt Coupe is faster than the 5at TL. But I know for sure the 5at TL is faster.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:33 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wolftag
I hate to start this thread again, but I'm having such a hard time trying to justify the extra cost of the TL. Its right on the bleeding edge of my budget.

I know the TL has a nicer interior, HID, more horsepower, better audio, bluetooth, better warranty, and it certainly looks better.

But the price difference -- especially considering the Accord can be had for a lot less than MSRP -- is huge. For me, including insurance, it comes down to a $240/month difference in payment.

I've test driven both. I loved both, but the drives were far enough apart that it wasn't really an A/B comparison.

Check out this Thread:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...t=91145&page=1
Old 08-20-2004, 01:36 AM
It's Major. Boy.

I think you have your heart set on getting the TL. If you can afford it, go for it.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:38 AM
I6

I agree with roughrider.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:45 AM
Advanced

I'm gonna have to be the voice of reason here. Bleeding edge is bad.
If you did the budget calculation then you care enough that it'll bother you to be scraping
the barrel every month.
The difference in $$$ for the added car features can be arguably better spent on other things, toys, needs, savings. But most important of all it buys you peace of mind, freedom from the stress of worrying about money all the time.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Imho...

Accord is good choice for you. No need to spend extra $$$ for TL. You would love what Accord could provide to you.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:07 AM
Cruisin'

No question. Buy the accord. It's a fabulous, luxurious, riiable, safe, stylish, fun to drive, very comfortable automobile filled with losts of fun toys. This (any) car has no capacity to justify extending yourself beyond what's comfortable and reasonable to your current situation. Buy the accord and take the one you love out for a special date every month. Save your money. Be careful. Caution is best. THen when you're ready you can buy the newest cooolest TL of the day... cash. It's all in the timing!
Old 08-20-2004, 02:21 AM
.:HALCÓN DE LA NOCHE:.

Wolftag, have you considered the TSX? You get extended warranty & xenon light's. It's similar in price w/ the Accord. I test drove a TSX and couldn't not tell that it was a four cylinder and handled real good on the road. This is my second option below the TL. Check out the Acura-TSX forum for more info.

Let me know if you get any good prices in the bay area on either vehicle.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:08 AM
Disproportionate Member

If the TL is on the bleeding edge of your budget, get yourself a V6 Accord EX with Nav. The TL interior is nicer, but not that much nicer. In fact, the Accord has at least two things that the TL doesn't have:
  • CD compartment. The TL has that useless split cubbyhole where the CD compartment is on the Accord. Does anyone actually put anything in those mouse-coffin sized bins on the TL? I guess if you're a smoker it's a good spot for cigarettes. But smoking is soooooo 1970s.
  • Better fuel economy computer. The Accord can give you your instantaneous fuel economy, as well as your average over the last month or so. It also has the option of automatically resetting your fuel economy average when you refuel.
  • The Accord doesn't have the ubiquitous passenger and driver door "popping" noises that the TLs develop.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:32 AM
Banned

you have to test drive each, then you decide which is the better valure for you, then you need to decide if your budget even allows for TL.

you could start off with Accord, then in a few years you sell it to get something else.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:06 AM
Instructor

The Accord V6 comes in two flavors. Depending, on your priorities, they're both great alternatives when the TL's too much.

Both cars fly. The sedan has a family-car ride, which means you'll be slowing on the cloverleafs if you don't want to hear a lot of tire squeal. But you won't get beat up by every bump and expansion joint on the road.

The Accord 6-spd coupe has a sport suspension. It handles and holds like a TL, but the ride's not too compliant. When you take it over rough roads you're going to feel like you're beating the hell out of the car. (This only applies to the 6-spd).

These cars are not better than a TL, but I believe they're both a better value. That's saying a lot because the TL is an excellent value. For $5-6K less, the Accord V6 delivers much of the driving satisfaction that comes from the TL. When budget's a concern, this is precisely the sort of alternative you want to have available.

One thing about the sedan -- it's a total sleeper. Nobody's going to realize what your Accord can do till you step on the gas. And by then it'll be too late for them.

If horsepower is part of your priorities, I wouldn't consider the TSX.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:21 AM
Intermediate

Dont forget the insurance too...if you cant justify spending the extra money for a TL, then the insurance will be higher too..so dont forget to take than into consideration
Old 08-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Disproportionate Member

Originally Posted by takkar
Dont forget the insurance too...if you cant justify spending the extra money for a TL, then the insurance will be higher too..so dont forget to take than into consideration
Actually, for some reason, the insurance isn't that much higher, believe it or not. I don't have my policy in front of me and thus I'm going from memory, but I seem to recall it's less than $100 difference per year. I'm even thinking it's less than $50.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Proboscis-free zone

San Fran is rough on cars. You might even consider a used beater for as long as you're in the city.

My 2 cents: put the extra $$$ into savings and investments--maybe a Roth IRA if you're lucky enough to qualify. (Set up a monthly automatic contribution.) You'll be far better off in the future.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tsx is very nice though underpowered ... it is the euro accord though ... I suggest you check it out. I thought of it as the TL's little brother when i saw both.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:51 AM
Advanced

It sounds like you want the TL, but you're not sure if you can afford it. I would base the decision on economics first. If you're sure you can afford the TL, and you want it, then get it. If you're on the fence as to whether or not you can afford it (which is what it sounds like), then get the Accord, or save some more money and get the TL when you can afford it. Good luck with your decision!
Old 08-20-2004, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Rets and I say the same thing in most threads like this: If you are concerned about the cost, buy the Accord V6 w/nav. It's 70% of the TL for far less money. If you can indeed afford the TL, and want it, then buy the TL, you won't be sorry. I personally dislike the current Accord's stying and even my wife wouldn't consider trading her '01 Accord for it. Just my
Old 08-20-2004, 12:02 PM
SOLD

My friend has an 03 Accord, they look like the TL's brother who has over-eatin' and is now obese. It depends on the size and power your looking for. If you are looking for a comfortable sized sedan, the Accord interior is nearly identical to the TL. Accord has a lttle less width but more headroom. The TSX is definitely smaller than either, but if your kids are not more than 12 they will fit in the back seat fine. My friend's 4 cyl accord is very strong, the TSX even more so as hp is 160Ac/200TSX. If it's speed you need, the TSX manual is nearly as fast as the V6 accord sedan, maybe the same due to a manual tranny and less weight. If you want NAVI though, I believe TSX does not have very many with it. In my opinion the Accord may have a little more "cushy" seats, although not as supportive sport wise as the TSX. The TSX has very nice looking gauges, HID lights like the TL albeit solely low beams, and handling better than the Accord or TL. Fold down backseat as well, not to mention a trunk just as big as the TL, but not as big as Accord. One thing that is nice about the TSX, the turn signals on the mirrors that neither Accord or TL have. The style pecking order definitely goes: TL, TSX, Accord. All three of these car's dashes look bland without the navigation though. The TL has the best quality sound, TSX has second best quality and more powerful than TL. Accord manual is only available in coupe, coupe looks like Honda just chopped off the back doors of the sedan. TSX was built in Japan, which means it should have better build quality in and out. (No squeaks or rattles, tranny problems, etc.) This is about all I know, hope it helps you!
Old 08-20-2004, 04:54 PM
04TL/SSM/Quartz/AT/Navi

Let's put it this way -- take your Honda Accord to the TL dealer, test drive the TL, then drive home in your Accord. Which one do you like better, now???
Old 08-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
tsx is very nice though underpowered ... it is the euro accord though ... I suggest you check it out. I thought of it as the TL's little brother when i saw both.
Only people like us consider the TSX "underpowered". It's way quicker than what the great majority of citizens drive and handles a ton better. Compared to the average Saudi Useless Vehicle it's an Indy car.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Go with the Accord.
I own Accord V6 top of the line and 04 TL.I could hold twenty cd's in the console .The TL holds only
half.Car and Driver voted Accord to be the better value for the money.
You can always get the TL few years down the line.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Team Anthracite Member

There's always used....

I know this is not an option for everyone, because many people like everything that comes with buying a brand new car, but there is always the option of buying used. Pre-Owned TL's are going for around $30,000 with NAVI on ebay Buy It Now and a private seller i saw. Non-NAVI's are going for $28,000 or less, one i saw for $26,900. Sure, they have 6k-11k miles on them, but that doesn't really bother me. And if you can hold out even longer, when the 2005's start hitting the streets, the pre-owned 04 prices are really gonna drop.

If you're worried about the 9,000 or so miles on a used TL taking a way from the 4/50,000 mile warranty, the Certified Pre-Owned Acuras come with a 1/12,000 warranty in addition to whatever's left on the original warranty, so it's just like re-couping the loss in the warranty when you buy a Certified.

Other than that, I think it's a great option that everyone in this situation should consider, especially as the year goes on. I know I'm sure gonna buy a used 04 in a few months.

Of course, the Accord is a good car. But they are immensely popular, and depending on where you live (big city or more rural) the TL is much less common, making it feel more special. Although you could buy a new Accord, you'll always be striving for more, and maybe wishing you had gotten the TL.

GOOD LUCK!!!! and God Bless

carcar
Old 08-22-2004, 01:29 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Aquineas
If the TL is on the bleeding edge of your budget, get yourself a V6 Accord EX with Nav. The TL interior is nicer, but not that much nicer. In fact, the Accord has at least two things that the TL doesn't have:
  • CD compartment. The TL has that useless split cubbyhole where the CD compartment is on the Accord. Does anyone actually put anything in those mouse-coffin sized bins on the TL? I guess if you're a smoker it's a good spot for cigarettes. But smoking is soooooo 1970s.
  • Better fuel economy computer. The Accord can give you your instantaneous fuel economy, as well as your average over the last month or so. It also has the option of automatically resetting your fuel economy average when you refuel.
  • The Accord doesn't have the ubiquitous passenger and driver door "popping" noises that the TLs develop.
If I can add another thing the Accord has and not the TL is:

THe Accord's key has a remote alarm/controls the windows locks and trunk all in one with the key. As the TL, it does not and has a remote separated with the key. Therefore, the Accord 's key is more higher tech than ours. My Dad just bought an Accord and it is not much difference compare to our TL. Best money can buy for the Accord!!!!
Old 08-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

I own a 2003 Accord

I love the accord, it is my daily driver and then I have a 911. I am going to trade in the 2003 for a 2005 with Navi, thought about the TL and decided the extra was some nice toys for the 911.

The TL is a better car around, and if you can afford it get it, but only you can make that call.

Michael
Old 08-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Banned

Where's Hardriven1le when you need him.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:41 PM
Instructor

My decision is parked in my garage

Satin Silver 5A Navi. After driving the Accord V6 and the TL back to back, it was an easy choice.

Thanks for all the input! This is one of the sanest internet forums I've ever read. Either the moderators are busy or TL owners make for good company
Old 08-22-2004, 07:41 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Come on. You're trying to decide between a Honda and an Acura. There is a reason Acura cars are more expensive than their Honda relatives... because Acura was created as an upscale division of Honda. If you can afford the Acura, get it, if not, the Honda is a nice car to have instead, but its still not an Acura.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Satin Silver 5A Navi. After driving the Accord V6 and the TL back to back, it was an easy choice.

Thanks for all the input! This is one of the sanest internet forums I've ever read. Either the moderators are busy or TL owners make for good company

Congratulations.

But, I'm sorry, what car did you buy finally?

Both cars have "Satin Silver 5A Navi", right?

Edit: OK, 04TL.

I was fooled by it... http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91507
Old 08-23-2004, 01:19 AM
Instructor

Yeah, TL! I'm so excited I can barely make sense
Old 08-25-2004, 07:47 PM
Miss my 89 Legend

The question should be would you buy your TL in automatic??? cause if Yes then get the Accord. Its 8k less and your only losing 30hp for the money.. Now if you want the TL in manual then there is no option cause the Accord EXv6 top of the line sedan is only in auto anyway..
Old 08-25-2004, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Congratulations, you made a great decision, wolftag. Don't forget to post regular updates so we can keep tabs on enjoyment and reliability.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Thanks! Its been 5 days and still not a single little bit uf buyer's remorse!

I'm planning a road trip this weekend from San Francisco to Monterey Bay. And I've already been up Rt. 1, it really great.

My only problem is my fat a$$ -- the side bolsters in the seat cushion get a little uncomfortable. I need to work out something with an extra cushion while I lose some weight
Old 08-25-2004, 11:37 PM
Banned

Let your checkbook be your guide. Both cars are excellent. IMO if your are considering a fully decked accord EX buy the TL. If you are looking for a fantastic deal buy an accord LX v6.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:47 PM
thinking of 2007 MDX...

Get TL with Navi !!!!!!!!!!!!!
How many times do you plan to live ?
Enjoy your life !!!!!! (in TL)

You should be asking your self should I get TL with A-spec kit & Navi or just plain with mud guards ???

Get a part time job for 1 day a week, even if you make $100.00 that day, you will be easily making the payments !!