Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do I Remove Glue??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Do I Remove Glue??

i noticed what appeared to be a smug on the black part of the interior, right above my glove box. i reached over to try and remove it with no luck. well i tried hot water and a light detergent and still its there. its not sticky its just a shinny patch about the size of a dime. i am assuming its glue. seeing as though no one has been on the passenger side and only had the car 2 weeks, im sure it was there when i bought the car. any suggestions on how to SAFELY remove it?
Old 11-05-2004, 04:53 PM
Instructor

If I were you I would check out the forum at autopia.org. Great site for anything to do with car detail.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Smudge I assume? I would try mineral spirits, doing a trial for safety on similar material in an inconspicuous place. Another good cleaner is Xenit, by Stoner, which is citrus based. Goo Gone is just expensive mineral spirits.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
goof off works pretty good
Old 11-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by insmanblue
If I were you I would check out the forum at autopia.org. Great site for anything to do with car detail.
thanks for that link im sure it will prove useful in the future. well i tried using armorall ultimate cleaner. i scrubbed for at leat a half an hour and its still there. im taking it to acura to see if they can remove it. i just hate taking it to another dealer and not the one i bought it from. fiirst i had tar now glue. whats next? if they cant get it off ill try the other suggestions. i did apply some nail polish remover under my armrest to see if it would fade., so far no, so maybe ill use that first. thanks again for the responses.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by flexte
thanks for that link im sure it will prove useful in the future. well i tried using armorall ultimate cleaner. i scrubbed for at leat a half an hour and its still there. im taking it to acura to see if they can remove it. i just hate taking it to another dealer and not the one i bought it from. fiirst i had tar now glue. whats next? if they cant get it off ill try the other suggestions. i did apply some nail polish remover under my armrest to see if it would fade., so far no, so maybe ill use that first. thanks again for the responses.
nail polish remover is quite strong - i would try one of the other remedies first. How did tar link to your dealer?
Old 11-06-2004, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Road Rage
nail polish remover is quite strong - i would try one of the other remedies first. How did tar link to your dealer?
the tar was there when i got the car. who knows how it got there. just like the glue. well they got the glue off and know its nice and faded. so instead of a shiny patch i have a faded patch.
they were going to replace the whole dash free of charge but i told them to try scrubbing harder. in one area he did a good job but in the other area he scrubbed to hard and now its faded. ill try to live with it.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by flexte
the tar was there when i got the car. who knows how it got there. just like the glue. well they got the glue off and know its nice and faded. so instead of a shiny patch i have a faded patch.
they were going to replace the whole dash free of charge but i told them to try scrubbing harder. in one area he did a good job but in the other area he scrubbed to hard and now its faded. ill try to live with it.
Too bad - this is one where i think self-remedy is the best course, since you are not in a rush - service techs are. If it had been me, I would have tried some of the advice given in this thread, and gone to the dealer as a last resort.

Peolpe rave about the Mr. Clean eraser - I am going to get one.

Mioneral spirits work great on tar - just remembere to re-wax when you are done.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:45 AM
Instructor

yea i should have done it myself. after he came back and showed me that he removed the glue i saw what kinda of rag he was using. it was as rougher than a wash cloth.i just figured if they did it, they would be responsible for the damaged caused by the removal but i wanst thinking that the damage would cause me to have to replace my whole dash. i have learned very valuable lessons with this purchase, so at least none of this will happen again.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Racer

I had some gummy sticky stuff on my car mat as well, wouldnt come off, I just used Goo Gone that I had laying around, worked like a charm, I just did it today.