Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How ANAL are you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:45 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
How ANAL are you?

Here we go boys and...well more boys, time to share just how anal and compulsive and crazy you are or can be.

I wash about once every other week. Polish, clay, and glaze every 3 months. I only use premium from Shell or Chevron. I wash EVERY little detail - like the paint underneath the doors. I polish and wax my wheels! I'll use poorboys spray & wipe every night to get the bugs off the front. I will top off, however I'll use a paper towel to hold up against the nozzle when I pull it out. I'll park way out in bumblef*ck...
Old 10-10-2006, 12:59 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I wash every week because my car is black. I try to get some sort of wax on there every month, and will clay 3x/year. Its a little harder now that I dont have my own driveway but a stupid apartment complex.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:53 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wax my car mostly everytime i wash it...depening on temperature. Since i got my 05 TL back in June...i have gone through 1.5 bottle of Zaino Z2 pro and 1/2 bottle of Z5.

I try to park away from other cars, sometimes i dont. I clean in inner well of my wheel. Condition the leather ever so often. Although, i try my best make it look the day i bought it...i have some battle scars.

Dent from a shopping cart (stupid lil kid), paint scrap on bumper (flying object from junk trunk) and of couse got a bb dent on the window trim 2 days after i got it.

Im trying to get less anal..LOL
Old 10-10-2006, 03:48 AM
G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like my car dirty with bird shit
Old 10-10-2006, 04:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spedizzo
Great first post....and we were afraid bandwidth would be wasted.....
Old 10-10-2006, 04:42 AM
Intermediate

I have only been washing my car about twice a month. I ride my Harley into work and drive the TL only on rainy days so it is pointless.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:42 AM
313.4WHP& 284.6TQ

clay, zaino z5 2 coats, z2 pro 4 coats every 6 months. if i am wax happy i will wax it each month 1 coat . if i am busy or just lazy every 3 months. clean the leather every 3 months. hmmm you will love this but might hate it. i pay 29.99 each month ( i can go every day if i like ) and go to the car wash 2-3 times a week and they clean my car. hehe.. of course i provide them with my drying towel for the paint so it prevent 99% of the swirl marks.
= smoking hot
Old 10-10-2006, 06:37 AM
Banned

I was her every Sunday. Polish at least once a month.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wash once a week. Quick wax once a month. Complete detail including clay and wax 2x year. Detail the inside once a month. I had the dealer replace the driver seat back because the tan finish was coming wearing off. No food allowed inside, only water.

I clayed and waxed the gas cap compartment this weekend and the inside of the little door just for fun.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by leedogg
Here we go boys and...well more boys, time to share just how anal and compulsive and crazy you are or can be.

I wash about once every other week. Polish, clay, and glaze every 3 months. I only use premium from Shell or Chevron. I was EVERY little detail - like the paint underneath the doors. I polish and wax my wheels! I'll use poorboys spray & wipe every night to get the bugs off the front. I will top off, however I'll use a paper towel to hold up against the nozzle when I pull it out. I'll park way out in bumblef*ck...

Originally Posted by Spedizzo
I'm somewhere in between these two

Seriously, I'd like nothing better than to be able to do this, but I travel a lot for work, train three times (or more) per week at karate with the kids, like to take my son shooting at least once a month, I dabble in photography, cooking is another hobby, and I do try to pay at least some attention to the spousal unit once in a while. Whew!

I've been known to leave my last car covered in dirt and bird shit, but I firmly resolve to not do so with my TL! About washing every week. . .I don't know about that. One step at a time.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by King of Pain
I clayed and waxed the gas cap compartment this weekend and the inside of the little door just for fun.
And this man needs counseling! Can someone near him arrange an intervention?

Hehehehe.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Racer

I wash at least once a week, wax once a month, remove bugs when needed, clay every 3 months, no food and only I can drink in the car(rarely). Wipe off fingerprints, dust, etc dailey.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:22 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

I'm right there. You can eat off my engine. I wax/seal all painted surfaces, seen or not. Bottom line is when your car gets dirty, it is that much easier to get it back to clean. Increases the resale value, (not the trade in value), you're dealing with the bottom feeders there.

I also save every service slip which is placed in a folder for the next owner.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:56 AM
Racer

I probably wash my car once every 2-3 weeks now that it's winter. Summertime is a whole different story!
Old 10-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Racer

I don't have a place to wash my car where I live so I have to go over to a friend's place. That keeps me from washing it every week- it turns into more like once a month. I wash and dry the car over there then go over it with the detail spray when i get home.

I park in an underground garage at home- I keep it in a spot as far from the entrance as I can get so fewer cars drive by- keeps the dust down.

I try keeping it mint inside and out but there are a few battle scars.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I take mine to this place that hand washes it, about once a week...
Old 10-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Advanced

I wash about once every other week. Polish, clay, and glaze every 3 months. I only use premium from Shell or Chevron. I was EVERY little detail - like the paint underneath the doors. I polish and wax my wheels! I'll use poorboys spray & wipe every night to get the bugs off the front. I will top off, however I'll use a paper towel to hold up against the nozzle when I pull it out. I'll park way out in bumblef*ck...

Whoa! You really are obsessive with your car! And I thought that I was picky with my car!

Well, I don't think it is a good idea to wash your car every other week. It is not good on the paint and eventually the wax is going to wear off. You also said that you polish, clay and glaze every 3 Months, which I also think is very unnecessary. Clay is only going to be effective when the car has a lot of debris and residue on it, which your car does not (because you wash it so often).

I understand the "pride" of ownership and you love your car. I just don't think you need to be doing all of that unnecessary work. But, hey - if you love doing it and it is your hobby, then wax & wash away!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Racer

I didn't know washing your car often is bad for the paint!?
Old 10-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hand wash every Saturday morning still drunk. Follow that with some Z6. I wax every 3 months, the last time was with my new PC and man was that fun. I contition the leather weekly to keep it looking and smelling good. I wouldn't say I'm anal, but I really care about my baby.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bammyz
Whoa! You really are obsessive with your car! And I thought that I was picky with my car!

Well, I don't think it is a good idea to wash your car every other week. It is not good on the paint and eventually the wax is going to wear off. You also said that you polish, clay and glaze every 3 Months, which I also think is very unnecessary. Clay is only going to be effective when the car has a lot of debris and residue on it, which your car does not (because you wash it so often).

I understand the "pride" of ownership and you love your car. I just don't think you need to be doing all of that unnecessary work. But, hey - if you love doing it and it is your hobby, then wax & wash away!
I agree with you about claying and polishing every 3 months. But would you kindly explain why it is not a good idea to wash every other week and why it is bad on the paint. Is that not enough or too much? If your painted suface is protected and constantly rejuvenated using a QD/ID/Spray Wax after a wash there is no reason why your paint would would be harmed. Waxes serve as a protective barrier and will eventually diminish through time and exposure, hence reapplication within a 5-6 month time frame.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Low and Slow

I wish I was more anal about my car. I was once a week for the most part. Hand was that is. I try to keep my interior real nice, but I tote lots of people around so that is difficult, and they don't care for my car like I do. About waxing. I have done it, but need to know what products from Zaino to purchase because that is the wax I'm going to use now. That and I need to learn to clay bar
Old 10-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Okay so living here in TX there are a million bugs on my car each day. What product and what rag do you use to get them off? They have started eating into my paint and even the car wash people can't get some of them off Thanks!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 175 Posts
My friend owns a car wash so I go there like 2-3 times a week. Since he also have a detailer there, I have it detail once a month.
I uses Meguiar products on all of my cars.

I only uses Shell and Chevron Premium of course.

Yes, I get VERY picky when I park. I would park next to a corner spot and park very close to it. If not the I would park waaaay out in the boonies.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:37 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by KatyTL
Okay so living here in TX there are a million bugs on my car each day. What product and what rag do you use to get them off? They have started eating into my paint and even the car wash people can't get some of them off Thanks!
As I do this nightly I dont need anything heavy duty. A simple microfiber towel and poorboy's spray and wipe works for me. You can probably use any detailer though. There are bug & tar sprays out there, but I dont know if they're wax friendly though...(e.g. will they remove the wax as well as the bug remains....)

I use Klasse All In One - polish and Klasse Sealant & Glaze - which is an acryllic glaze. This makes it fairly easy to wipe things off as well as affording some protection from chips and such.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Lets keep this on topic of how anal you are or this will need to be in wash and wax..

damn leedogg, do you just sit around thinking up threads to post. where do you come up wtih this shit??
Old 10-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KatyTL
One link and a post from TOGWT concerning bug residue;

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Dried bug remains are both abrasive and acidic (pH 3.0-4.0) and can scratch paint or glass surfaces, many times the acids will "cloud" or "etch" surfaces as they contain highly acidic concentrates, and should be carefully removed as soon as possible They produce what acts like a super-adhesive on impact (especially when heated or when they have remained on the vehicle surface for any amount of time) you almost need a crowbar to separate these substances from the paint, windshield, headlights or front end of your car.

Notes-
a) Use caution using bug removal products as they usually contain hydrocarbon solvents, which may compromise the integrity of the clear coat causing it to occlude (clouding or yellowing).
b) Do not scrub hardened/dried bug residue as it is very abrasive and will scratch the paint surface, once they are softened (re-liquefied) it enables their removal with less likelihood of damage to the paint surface
c) No car care product (polymer or wax) will protect your paint from this type of acid, as soon as it is noticed remove from the surface.

Use an Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) or a glass cleaner, but avoid ammonia based products (ammonia acts as an acid accelerant) or a gel alcohol hand cleaner (Purell®) place a small amount on to a first aid gauze pad, this will help it stay in place during the necessary dwell time and apply to effected area in a shaded area as the alcohol will evaporate very quickly in direct sunlight. Take your time and blot with the alcohol until it softens and melts the sap to the point where you can gently wipe it off the paint.

The alcohol content, acts as a drying agent, which will extract the acid, then thoroughly flush with water to rinse away any grit or sand, etc or use detailers clay to encapsulate it, re-spray the area let it dwell for 2-3 minutes and wipe dry. Pre-soak heavy bug contamination with an IPA soaked towel(s) and let dwell for 4-5 minutes before removing.

Avoid using a QD spray to flush residue, as they contain carnauba wax, which will seal the acid and not allow it to dissipate. Using an alkaline rinse of baking soda and water (to neutralize the acid) as soon as is practical is highly recommended, if the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated each time it comes into contact with water.

If the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated each time it comes into contact with water. Water contains 2- hydrogen and 1-oxygen atom and will acts as a catalyst and a carrier system for acid. Oxygen is an oxidizer; ozone is an allotropic form of oxygen (an oxidizer is any component that emits oxygen); many chemical compounds react to slight heating and an oxidizing process.

Add water (dew, rain, car washing etc) so now you have an acid + water +oxygen + ozone all of which equates to a highly concentrated acidic solution, which causes a concave indentation (acid etching) to the paint surface. This should be neutralized by using an appropriate product (Automotive International, A B C Decontamination/Neutralization wash system (http://www.autoint.com). If the paint or glass surface has been etched the surface can be levelled with a suitable polish and then apply a paint protection.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:51 PM
10th Gear

i only wash mine when its unbearable. the last time i washed my car was when i first got it...
Old 10-10-2006, 02:15 PM
but you can call me Ken.

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Wash every week, Clean the interior every other car wash, wax every six months, park on the edge, or really far.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:55 PM
RAR

Talking

Originally Posted by trancemission
Lets keep this on topic of how anal you are or this will need to be in wash and wax..

damn leedogg, do you just sit around thinking up threads to post. where do you come up wtih this shit??
Somebody needs to keep you mods from slacking

Good info on the Bug cleaning, thanks! Scratch Quick Detailer off the list Katy!

To those who *must* use a car wash *BLASEPHEMY* do NOT let them dry your car in the winter time. Their coat zippers WILL scratch your car up.

Who here lets nobody else drive their car but them? FYI when you have passengers in your car allow for PLENTY of room for doors swinging open. Had one passenger swing it open and hit a tree, I cringed inside.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Somebody needs to keep you mods from slacking
lol

you still interested in that black chrome emblem? let me know..
Old 10-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Instructor

my car gets washed at least 3 times a week. When we start getting snow here in massachusetts my car gets washed every day. And now that I have been practicing on waxing, my car will get waxed about once every three months.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gdfthr
my car gets washed at least 3 times a week. When we start getting snow here in massachusetts my car gets washed every day. And now that I have been practicing on waxing, my car will get waxed about once every three months.
Everyday

Lets just say on average a car wash costs $5, thats $150 a month just to keep a clean car................
Old 10-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lembowski
Everyday

Lets just say on average a car wash costs $5, thats $150 a month just to keep a clean car................

I completly agree.

But when you own the car wash, now thats a whole different story
Old 10-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Instructor

Ok i wash my car evry 2 weeks or so. I spend an average of 3-4 hrs on it. I clean those plastic inserts on the bottom of the front bumper. I've even try to clean my rotors, but that's a bitch to get to.

I inspect my car upon entry and when getting out of it. Dings piss me off so i'll park as far as possible and preferably somewhere where I don't get backed into or have a door open on me. If parking is difficult I will try to park as optimally as possible so that I give the driver next to me the most space possible. Even then some ass will park right up and close.

To some it all up, I want my baby to look good. I know i'm fighting a losing battle, but atleast she'll age gracefully.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
i wash my TL every week and apply some QD, i also take the tires off the car and wax the inside of the rims and outside one a month.I clay/Zaino the car twice a year. I do the leather treatment and 303 dash every month. I even clayed my gas door inside and out just like the king of pain. I also have clayed my windows, the door jambs and even the exposed parts of paint with-in the car (that includes trunk). I also vacum the interior before the leather-treatment. I dust the inside of the car every other week. (have of my garage is full of detailing supplies)
Old 10-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Registered VTEC junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This actually sounds like normal behavior for any car enthusiast, except for the fact that someone, like myself, parks farther than you..
Old 10-10-2006, 06:52 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by gdfthr
I completly agree.

But when you own the car wash, now thats a whole different story
I want to own my own car wash
Old 10-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Instructor

I always vacuum after someone rides in the car... one time i vacuumed with them still sitting down. they thought that was weird.

ahaha. j/k
Old 10-10-2006, 08:40 PM
05 TL

Lame... I use a fuzz shaver (for clothes) in my trunk... Now everything is nice and even...
Old 10-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

I make my girl drive the car around the parking lot in an open area at the mall while I'm getting something just to avoid having a door slammed into it.

Quick Reply: How ANAL are you?