3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How ANAL are you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wont use my clicker to unlock the car because I think its a total waste of my lights. However I will use it to lock the car so the theft system will work because i would rather have a burnt bulb then no car at all. No food or drink is allowed in the car at all. I also wash it a lot.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:48 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
I wont use my clicker to unlock the car because I think its a total waste of my lights. However I will use it to lock the car so the theft system will work because i would rather have a burnt bulb then no car at all.
Someone please please tell me this is a joke. The LEDs in the tails are rated to last something like 100,000 hours. Their brief flashes during lock or unlock would take, what, 75 years to make any impact at all. Do you avoid braking, too?

You guys take this stuff too far, IMO. The TL, no matter how well you care for it, how little you drive it, or how anal you are will depreciate. It is not an asset or an investment. Sure with great care and low mileage it will be worth more than an abused, higher mileage example butit still won't ever get back what you paid for it.

I had my TL detailed on June 10 and then detailed again the other day. Between then I didn't touch it - and oddly enough, even caked in grime and dirt, it drove the same the whole time. And even better, now that it has been detailed again - it looks new. If the dirt, bird shit, bugs, etc did any damage at all I don't see it.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wont use my clicker to unlock the car because I think its a total waste of my lights. However I will use it to lock the car so the theft system will work because i would rather have a burnt bulb then no car at all. No food or drink is allowed in the car at all. I also wash it a lot.
thats a little overkill, the battery in the clicker will burn out before your LED's will.

I wash my car at least every two weeks, wipe down in between with a wet MF towel incase any bug, bird sh*t, dirt, and tree sap i feel will damage the paint in the long run...I'd say my only thing is i will go as far as waxing the wheels to get them to shine and waxing the windows as i feel it works better then rainx.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Someone please please tell me this is a joke. The LEDs in the tails are rated to last something like 100,000 hours. Their brief flashes during lock or unlock would take, what, 75 years to make any impact at all. Do you avoid braking, too?

You guys take this stuff too far, IMO. The TL, no matter how well you care for it, how little you drive it, or how anal you are will depreciate. It is not an asset or an investment. Sure with great care and low mileage it will be worth more than an abused, higher mileage example butit still won't ever get back what you paid for it.

I had my TL detailed on June 10 and then detailed again the other day. Between then I didn't touch it - and oddly enough, even caked in grime and dirt, it drove the same the whole time. And even better, now that it has been detailed again - it looks new. If the dirt, bird shit, bugs, etc did any damage at all I don't see it.

you're right, it depreciates no matter what, and its not like its a limited production car, but hey...there's nothing wrong with wanting to drive around in a clean shiny car...
Old 10-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by KatyTL
Okay so living here in TX there are a million bugs on my car each day. What product and what rag do you use to get them off? They have started eating into my paint and even the car wash people can't get some of them off Thanks!
Bug and tar remover, a microfiber towel, and a good rinse when you get home if possible
Old 10-11-2006, 08:16 AM
RVC
Advanced

I wash mine once a week, dust the interior every 2 days, ( I have a Boxer so her little hairs get everywhere) bought a doggie-cover for the seat, park in the furthest away most stragegic spot if possible, (next to nice cars) collect loose shopping carts in the parking lot of Wal-Mart so they don't hit my car. I also have to stay on my kids, they tend to walk close to it with thier back packs on and come close to hitting it. They scratched my old car like that. All in all they're pretty good though! Oh yeah, I dry it with a leaf blower rather than a towel and de-bug when it needs it.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
I agree with you about claying and polishing every 3 months. But would you kindly explain why it is not a good idea to wash every other week and why it is bad on the paint. Is that not enough or too much? If your painted suface is protected and constantly rejuvenated using a QD/ID/Spray Wax after a wash there is no reason why your paint would would be harmed. Waxes serve as a protective barrier and will eventually diminish through time and exposure, hence reapplication within a 5-6 month time frame.
If you are washing your car, (lets say once a week), eventually the wax is going to come off. If you are waxing it (lets say once a month) - in that case, you have a protective coating, so the wax is always protecting the paint. I know people who wash their cars every other week, or once a month and NEVER wax the car! This is a very bad thing!

On the other hand, my question is this: If you are waxing your car (once a month), there really is no need to keep washing it once a week, because the paint is so clean and no dirt or debris will adhere to it.

Hey, I am all for taking care of your Baby. I suppose, as long as you have a protective wax on your car, the washing will do no harm to the paint. My point was just that I don't think it is "required" to wax your car once a month.

I did not mean to offend anyone. If I did, please accept my apologies!

"Live and let live" .
Old 10-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Advanced

Okay so living here in TX there are a million bugs on my car each day. What product and what rag do you use to get them off? They have started eating into my paint and even the car wash people can't get some of them off Thanks!

Meguir's makes excellent products.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Advanced

I think also, that how often you wash/wax your vehicle depends on your geographical location.

For me, I live in the South and my car is garaged, so it does not get that accumulation of "dew" and "dirt" on it. It stays a little cleaner, so I can wash it less often.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
i wash mine at least 2x a week (been doing that for all my previous cars) and spray detail them everyday. i keep them spotless since i take random pics
Old 10-11-2006, 10:15 AM
I like to whistle in my

Originally Posted by Midnight_TL
I probably wash my car once every 2-3 weeks now that it's winter. Summertime is a whole different story!
right! plus my AM hides dirt pretty good. The only time you know the car is real dirty is when I pull up next to a clean TL or one of my dumbazz friends wants to wipe brake dust off the wheels. They look gunmetal until someone wipes some of it off
Old 10-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bammyz
If you are washing your car, (lets say once a week), eventually the wax is going to come off. If you are waxing it (lets say once a month) - in that case, you have a protective coating, so the wax is always protecting the paint. I know people who wash their cars every other week, or once a month and NEVER wax the car! This is a very bad thing!

On the other hand, my question is this: If you are waxing your car (once a month), there really is no need to keep washing it once a week, because the paint is so clean and no dirt or debris will adhere to it.

Hey, I am all for taking care of your Baby. I suppose, as long as you have a protective wax on your car, the washing will do no harm to the paint. My point was just that I don't think it is "required" to wax your car once a month.

I did not mean to offend anyone. If I did, please accept my apologies!

"Live and let live" .
No offense taken and no apologies needed, just curious on your position. There are a number of reasons why one washes so often; location, exposure, contamination, appearance, etc. As far as waxing, additonal coats will only enhance and further protect the finish. I do agree a few people do go overboard when it comes to waxing, but that's their choice. A lot of waxes lose the slickness after a couple of weeks and the thinking is another coat is needed. I prefer using a QD/ID product after washes to get the slickness back and I apply a coat about 6-8 weeks. Cheers!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Having a black car w/no garage is .....It gets dirty real quick. I would wash every week and wax once every month.

I've been doing this for 2 months and I got really tired of washing so i bought a canopy the best investment that i made so far and it saved me a lot ot time and energy .

Now, i wash once every 2-3 weeks, wax once every 2 months and clay once every 6 months. Also i leave a quick detailer w/microfiber towel in my car just incase some angry bird take his frustration.

This canopy also has a front/back zipper.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Mesh Screen ?

KatyTL...

This may sound a bit strange, but with that many bugs decomposing on your TL, I just might check into some kind of clear bra application or failing that, perhaps having one of those commercial mesh bug bras ( I know they are very unsightly, and will detract from the car...) modified to fit the TL. Otherwise try some bug or tar remover from the local Auto Mart. (test it first in a hidden area... don't want to do more harm to the paint finish than good.)

Bug-B-Gone or Bug-Off... ( or even GOOP )

TL42
Old 10-11-2006, 12:02 PM
WTF, is this thing FWD??

wash and wax every week
Old 10-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

I wash once or twice a week depending on the weather and wax once a month.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Thread Necromancer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I want to wash mine every week, but we are under water restrictions right now. One of the restrictions is not washing cars! So I have been cleaning the inside every week like I normally do but the outside has been suffering. About once a month I take it to a touchless car wash to knock off some of the dirt. It is really sucking around here right now! Clean cars drive better!
Old 10-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FADE
I want to wash mine every week, but we are under water restrictions right now. One of the restrictions is not washing cars! So I have been cleaning the inside every week like I normally do but the outside has been suffering. About once a month I take it to a touchless car wash to knock off some of the dirt. It is really sucking around here right now! Clean cars drive better!
Give Optimum No Rinse (ONR) a shot. Read this thread.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Instructor

I...am ANAL about my car! My significant other went with me when I bought it, she asked to drive, I asked the salesman to let her drive another TL. She still hasn't driven it! I still hear about that one.
When I park, I park at the very last parking spot in the row, however far from the store. I become the Mr-shopping-car-wrangler and put ALL stray carts in the vicinity that could get blown, pushed, or rolled into my car in the cart corral.
I wash my car dailly. If I haven't driven it I pull it out of the garage (where it stays at all times when not being driven) and spray it with the water hose and dry it off. I always clean the engine compartment, door jams, gas door, trunk wells, etc.
I open my garage door and use my leaf blower to blow my car off if its dusty then close the door.
Yes, I know I have issues but the car still has less than 1000 miles.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:00 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaikamon
I...am ANAL about my car! My significant other went with me when I bought it, she asked to drive, I asked the salesman to let her drive another TL. She still hasn't driven it! I still hear about that one.
When I park, I park at the very last parking spot in the row, however far from the store. I become the Mr-shopping-car-wrangler and put ALL stray carts in the vicinity that could get blown, pushed, or rolled into my car in the cart corral.
I wash my car dailly. If I haven't driven it I pull it out of the garage (where it stays at all times when not being driven) and spray it with the water hose and dry it off. I always clean the engine compartment, door jams, gas door, trunk wells, etc.
I open my garage door and use my leaf blower to blow my car off if its dusty then close the door.

ding ding ding I think we have a winnah! You get the OCD award
Old 10-12-2006, 10:27 AM
My Daily Driver

Wash as often as needed (NBP) Quick Detail With every wash and usually try to wax every two - three weeks. Wax wheels, clean door jambs, under hood, and in trunk with every wash, park in BFE, the list goes on.

For winter prep, I just dawn washed it, and followed with 2 coats of Meguiars Color-x, 1 Coat of Meguiars Show Car Glaze, and a QD inbetween each coat.

God black looks good clean.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Talking

I wash atleast once a week with Mother's wash and wax with Mother's carnuba wax every three monthes or so. I keep the interior clean but mostly I am the only one that rides in the car. My wife does not like the passenger seat (too low) and won't ride in the car so we go in her Honda Fit...

Winter is coming here in the Northeast so I have to find a detailing shop to clean the car fully once a month or so. They put down lots of salt to melt the snow and it makes for a real mess and gets everywhere.

Parking, I ONLY park in the outback. Work, the gym, the stores always where the car stands the least chance of getting hit.

I think it's funny when someone going to the Gym to work out has to park in the absolutely closest parking spot to the door. I guess after working out they don't have enough energy to walk very far to their car??
Old 10-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

So if you don't use your clicker, that means you actually stick the key in the door lock, right? Which means you run the risk of scratching paint with your key. No matter how careful you are, with less than an inch diameter, your key is going to hit the paint areound the door lock and it will chip.

That's why I ONLY use the clicker. No sense in getting the key anywhere near my paint.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Advanced

Mine does not leave before it is dusted, bu splats all cleaned off. Of course is it is raining I will skip it. But if the rain has ended before I return home at night , it will be cleaned again before I leave the next morning! My co-workers and friends make fun of me if my car is dirty!
I always look for the most remote spot to park. And even then I make sure I am parked in a corner spot so no spots are open to my right and as I get as close to the right as is possible. And if some one should park next to me they will most likley park with thier passerner side towards my car. The percentage is at least 50/50 there will be not be a passenger.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:53 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by jmaikamon
And yet.. in 5 years, it still won't be worth but maybe half of what you paid for it. Waste of time, anyone?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:24 PM
RAR

And yet.. in 5 years, it still won't be worth but maybe half of what you paid for it. Waste of time, anyone?
with that logic, you can simply let every car you own look like shit. Time is only wasted if you consider what you're doing a waste. I actually enjoy taking care of a car now for the first time.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:54 PM
7th Gear

Unhappy Anal Wash/Wax

I think I have a problem because I wash every week, sometimes twice and wax monthly.

I thought I was normal!!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:03 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
maybe once a month, depending on how busy I am -- detail myself -- did engine once, but not soo much anymore, used to power wash the rims

btw, why is anal in capitals? :ghey:
Old 10-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Az User

Received 2,509 Likes on 1,667 Posts
I have not washed my car in about 3 months.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:05 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
maybe once a month, depending on how busy I am -- detail myself -- did engine once, but not soo much anymore, used to power wash the rims

btw, why is anal in capitals? :ghey:

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/fs-new-yankees-fitted-hats-134754/

where are the pics from round 2 man!
Old 10-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Well. if you ar interested our car is running about 61% after 5 years BUT...my trade-ins are always worth more becoause of how service-documented, dent-free and clean I keep them. The dealer (or private sale) will also pay more. I once traded in a V6 Accord and they drove it directly from me to the lot. With all that said, I do it not for all that but for me. Nothing worse than a nice car that's dirty and dinged up.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
I am more than anal. I am colonic.

I have 6k miles on my 2004 TL. I don't take it out of the garage if it might rain. I wash it at least once a week whether or not I drive it because it gets dusty and it shows on black. I use Eagle Wax and Dry when I wipe the car down as a touch up.

When washing, I use two lamb's wool mits. One (newer) for the horizontal surfaces and the sides down to 10" above the rocker panels. Then I switch to the other, older lamb's wool mit for the lower 10" so that I don't get any sharp particles in the upper mit.

I am a Zaino nut and have a shelf full of their stuff. I especially like the "Leather in a Bottle" and the "Perfect Tire Dressing".

I seal and polish about once a month... less if I haven't driven much. I clean and wax the inside of my wheels from the back, the inner fender wells (except the rears which have a material liner), and I wax the suspension components. I treat the underbody plastic panels and engine covers with Aerospace 303. I also use 303 on the dash but sparingly.

When I ordered my TL, I instructed the dealer, in writing on the order, NOT to detail my car when it came in but to leave the protective plastic ON and call me. They didn't listen. They prepped the car. I refused it and made them order another one.

I took delivery with the plastic ON. I spent 10 hours the next day claying, Zaino-ing, and detailing my own car to avoid swirl marks and treating the leather and the carpets. (The leather was really "dry" and soaked up a lot of conditioner).

I was traveling for the last two months so my TL was covered with a car cover in my garage as they were putting a new roof on my house and I was concerned about dust. When I returned, I uncovered it, topped off (charged) the battery, and washed it. I had not driven it since the last time I washed it but there was a little dust on it. Then, I drove to a friend's house in Boca. On the way home, it slightly sprinkled.

Ergo, I washed it again in the morning. I only wash before the sun comes up to avoid water-spotting. I do the wheels first and it takes me about two hours all together from start to finish.

I noticed some very fine "cracks" in the outer edge of the lower driver cushion. Also a couple of faint discolorations. I treated the whole interior with Zaino "Leather in a Bottle" and the discolorations and "cracks" disappeared completely.

Feet have never touched the carpeting as I have the Acura floor mats covered with vinyl floor mats in matching camel.

I also Zaino the door jambs, the bottom inside of the doors, the metal parts underhood, under trunk lid, and the inside of the gas cap. I have used excess 3M clear headlight protector film to protect the rocker panel where your foot has a tendency to scuff and also the aluminum trim on the center console next to the seat belt buckle.

I have the larger 3M Clear Bra on the front and also the rear bumper shelf behind the trunk.

I would never even consider going though an automated car wash. You can't with a black car. I would rather someone slept with my wife (if I had one) than let someone else wash my car.

You wanna talk about "anal"? My car is still Showroom+.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Xpditor 6k wow that is the definition of a Garage Queen
Old 10-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Xpditor, I too do some of those things. I thought I was anal! To you sir...I relinquish the throne.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:52 AM
7th Gear

I feel better...

After reading Xpditor I feel better. I am not a detail freak like I thought I was. Just like a nice looking car. Xpditor.....Is there such thing as a car detailing Psyciatrist?

Never heard of Leather in a Bottle poroduct. Where do you get it?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Xpditor
I am more than anal. I am colonic.

I have 6k miles on my 2004 TL. I don't take it out of the garage if it might rain. I wash it at least once a week whether or not I drive it because it gets dusty and it shows on black. I use Eagle Wax and Dry when I wipe the car down as a touch up.

When washing, I use two lamb's wool mits. One (newer) for the horizontal surfaces and the sides down to 10" above the rocker panels. Then I switch to the other, older lamb's wool mit for the lower 10" so that I don't get any sharp particles in the upper mit.

I am a Zaino nut and have a shelf full of their stuff. I especially like the "Leather in a Bottle" and the "Perfect Tire Dressing".

I seal and polish about once a month... less if I haven't driven much. I clean and wax the inside of my wheels from the back, the inner fender wells (except the rears which have a material liner), and I wax the suspension components. I treat the underbody plastic panels and engine covers with Aerospace 303. I also use 303 on the dash but sparingly.

When I ordered my TL, I instructed the dealer, in writing on the order, NOT to detail my car when it came in but to leave the protective plastic ON and call me. They didn't listen. They prepped the car. I refused it and made them order another one.

I took delivery with the plastic ON. I spent 10 hours the next day claying, Zaino-ing, and detailing my own car to avoid swirl marks and treating the leather and the carpets. (The leather was really "dry" and soaked up a lot of conditioner).

I was traveling for the last two months so my TL was covered with a car cover in my garage as they were putting a new roof on my house and I was concerned about dust. When I returned, I uncovered it, topped off (charged) the battery, and washed it. I had not driven it since the last time I washed it but there was a little dust on it. Then, I drove to a friend's house in Boca. On the way home, it slightly sprinkled.

Ergo, I washed it again in the morning. I only wash before the sun comes up to avoid water-spotting. I do the wheels first and it takes me about two hours all together from start to finish.

I noticed some very fine "cracks" in the outer edge of the lower driver cushion. Also a couple of faint discolorations. I treated the whole interior with Zaino "Leather in a Bottle" and the discolorations and "cracks" disappeared completely.

Feet have never touched the carpeting as I have the Acura floor mats covered with vinyl floor mats in matching camel.

I also Zaino the door jambs, the bottom inside of the doors, the metal parts underhood, under trunk lid, and the inside of the gas cap. I have used excess 3M clear headlight protector film to protect the rocker panel where your foot has a tendency to scuff and also the aluminum trim on the center console next to the seat belt buckle.

I have the larger 3M Clear Bra on the front and also the rear bumper shelf behind the trunk.

I would never even consider going though an automated car wash. You can't with a black car. I would rather someone slept with my wife (if I had one) than let someone else wash my car.

You wanna talk about "anal"? My car is still Showroom+.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraUtahn
After reading Xpditor I feel better. I am not a detail freak like I thought I was. Just like a nice looking car. Xpditor.....Is there such thing as a car detailing Psyciatrist?

Never heard of Leather in a Bottle poroduct. Where do you get it?

Thanks
Welcome to Acurazine.com.

Where are you in Utah? I spend part of the year in Lindon (Utah County).

Try here for info on Zaino: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
Old 10-14-2006, 08:10 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
why is this only for boys??

as one of the few ladies out there to actually care for her car...i hand wash (yes i hand wash) my TL at least once a week and detail my wheels, interior detail once a month, wax every 3 months...bird shit immediately gets washed off the car as soon as it is discovered, if the weather is dry and there is a wet road (like a water main break) i drive through, the car gets dried off to prevent spotting especially after having just washed it. during the winter the car gets washed as much as it possibly can, weather permitting (like temps above 40 degrees) to get all the salt and dirt off....have to get the layer off. and i won't let the dealer wash my car after service....if you have a roof rack...dont' let them wash your car unless they are going to give you a courtesy hand wash (which isn't likely).

the only products i use are meguiar's
Old 10-14-2006, 10:29 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
why is this only for boys??

as one of the few ladies out there to actually care for her car...i hand wash (yes i hand wash) my TL at least once a week and detail my wheels, interior detail once a month, wax every 3 months...bird shit immediately gets washed off the car as soon as it is discovered, if the weather is dry and there is a wet road (like a water main break) i drive through, the car gets dried off to prevent spotting especially after having just washed it. during the winter the car gets washed as much as it possibly can, weather permitting (like temps above 40 degrees) to get all the salt and dirt off....have to get the layer off. and i won't let the dealer wash my car after service....if you have a roof rack...dont' let them wash your car unless they are going to give you a courtesy hand wash (which isn't likely).

the only products i use are meguiar's
Its not. I was just kidding because there are mostly guys here (we seem to scare most of the girls away )

btw, meguiars is good stuff but their waxes arent the greatest. For an off the shelf wax, try Black Magic.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:39 PM
7th Gear

Utah

I live in Draper with is only about 15 minutes from Lindon.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Drifting

I've got a 2004 TL, and I'm so Anal I've never driven the car since I purchased it in either rain or God forbid, snow. Once, when I was driving home, there was a small shower, and I pulled over under a bridge until the shower passed and the road dried. I don't want the underside of my car to look dirty.....how ANAL is that ????

Quick Reply: How ANAL are you?