Honda Mechanic - Would You Do This?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010 | 10:09 AM
Team SSM Queen

Honda Mechanic - Would You Do This?

I've been getting price quotes on the timing belt maintenance, and all the Acura dealers in the NY/LI area charge well over $1,000. Rallye, the dealer I bought from, is the only one who confirmed they will give me a loaner while the work is done. Is this usual?

I was at my local Honda dealer buying a filter last week. I used this shop before I owned my TL when I had Hondas, and they always did good work. They don't work on Acuras, but the service manager told me one of the mechanics does work on the side. I haven't spoken to the guy yet, but the manager said he would charge $500 for labor for the timing belt, water pump, tensioner & pulleys, and spark plugs - I will supply the parts. Thanks to Acurazine I can take advantage of the kit special ($330 with the idler) and I already have plugs, so total would be $830.

I have to find out where the work will be done (maybe they let the mechanics use the facility?). I also have to ask the guy if he guarantees the work. This would be very convenient for me, because I could drop the car off when I go to work, there's a subway stop right there, and then pick the car up at the end of the day, and it's a substantial savings.

What do you think, would you do this?
Old 07-08-2010 | 10:10 AM
ScoobyZINE

Yes I would. It's what I am going to do anyway, I've already bought the timing belt kit and have an indy mechanic lined up when it comes that time
Old 07-08-2010 | 10:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Get your questions answered you have for the tech and if satisfied, then go for it and save some green.

You may also try this:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=timing+belt
Old 07-08-2010 | 10:44 AM
18psi

I went to island acura in wantagh and they charged me about 1000 for the timing belt job. I found a 10% coupon on their website and the total was around 900. I also got a loaner and I didnt buy my car from them either.
Old 07-08-2010 | 11:00 AM
Team Owner

not much of a discount off retail,, for a guy doing it on the side at home
No they dont let you use the shop for side jobs--liabilty-insurance...

if you have no self-resources..ck a few private small import shops, look in the yellow pages

you dont have much recourse against a private person vs a shop if anything goes wrong
Old 07-08-2010 | 11:03 AM
Team Owner

loaner cars are subject to availabilty each day
you should get one since its a big service you are paying for
BUT you never know
the dealer that sold you the car probably knows your name, and will make sure there is a car for you..that 105 service is a gravy job- do it a few times and the secrets and shortcuts become habit,,you know what tools are needed when, have all the pro tools at your disposal...charge 6 hours labor, but the car was done before lunch!
Old 07-08-2010 | 12:57 PM
Team SSM Queen

Originally Posted by libert69
I went to island acura in wantagh and they charged me about 1000 for the timing belt job. I found a 10% coupon on their website and the total was around 900. I also got a loaner and I didnt buy my car from them either.
Just called Island and they quoted $1100 + tax and another 1/2 hour labor for the plugs (I have my own). They don't have the service special any longer.
Old 07-08-2010 | 12:59 PM
Team SSM Queen

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Get your questions answered you have for the tech and if satisfied, then go for it and save some green.

You may also try this:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=timing+belt
I saw that deal at Hamilton Honda and it's unbelievable. I'm not able to take advantage of that, wish I could.
Old 07-08-2010 | 09:57 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Smile

Hey Narnia,

6 years have passed by quickly, huh?

I've got about another 10K to go before the 105K job. I've called around and got labor rates of $600 - $1050 with Manhattan the most expensive. Any good dealer would give you a loaner for a job like this. I'd go for a few extra $$$ and have it done at a dealer just in case something goes wrong in the process as they have whatever special tools required to do the job right, and they'll likely have whatever little add-on parts (like new bolts, gaskets, etc) on hand if needed.

To get the best deal, you might have to take a day off and travel out of Queens, sorry. As I'm now up in Rockland, I'll probably go to Park Ave Acura in Maywood, NJ - 10 minutes from the GWB. So far, they've treated me right, and had the lowest Acura dealer labor quote, $600.

Had my plugs done at a small garage in Maspeth, $40 labor. PM me for info, or don@sopranoslookalikes.com

T

Last edited by DMZ; 07-08-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2010 | 08:21 AM
Team SSM Queen

Originally Posted by DMZ
Hey Narnia,

6 years have passed by quickly, huh?

I've got about another 10K to go before the 105K job. I've called around and got labor rates of $600 - $1050 with Manhattan the most expensive. Any good dealer would give you a loaner for a job like this. I'd go for a few extra $$$ and have it done at a dealer just in case something goes wrong in the process as they have whatever special tools required to do the job right, and they'll likely have whatever little add-on parts (like new bolts, gaskets, etc) on hand if needed.

To get the best deal, you might have to take a day off and travel out of Queens, sorry. As I'm now up in Rockland, I'll probably go to Park Ave Acura in Maywood, NJ - 10 minutes from the GWB. So far, they've treated me right, and had the lowest Acura dealer labor quote, $600.

Had my plugs done at a small garage in Maspeth, $40 labor. PM me for info, or don@sopranoslookalikes.com

T
Hey, how ya doin'? Are you supplying your own parts? Then that should come to about $900, right? Next up is new brake pads. Where did you have yours done?

I just called Rallye and told them I got a better quote at another dealer and asked if they could be more competitive. They offered me 15% off, so they'll do it for $1,000 and will give me a loaner.

I've found some places won't give you loaners if you didn't purchase from them, and they often make you wait for an appointment. Rallye always accommodates me. They charge a lot but at least their service is good.

01tl4tl you're right (as always) - it's worth the peace of mind not dealing with someone doing the work on the side.
Old 07-09-2010 | 08:53 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

There is a member here who got their 105k at Hamilton Honda in NJ. I mean it is a little bit of a drive and you will probably be there all day, but you will be saving hundreds. I think the whole service was $400 - $500. I'll go that route.
Old 07-09-2010 | 09:47 AM
Team SSM Queen

Originally Posted by TypeSDragon
There is a member here who got their 105k at Hamilton Honda in NJ. I mean it is a little bit of a drive and you will probably be there all day, but you will be saving hundreds. I think the whole service was $400 - $500. I'll go that route.
I saw that and it's very tempting, but I don't want to drive all the way out to NJ.
Old 07-09-2010 | 10:19 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by narnia
Hey, how ya doin'? Are you supplying your own parts? Then that should come to about $900, right? Next up is new brake pads. Where did you have yours done?

I just called Rallye and told them I got a better quote at another dealer and asked if they could be more competitive. They offered me 15% off, so they'll do it for $1,000 and will give me a loaner.

I've found some places won't give you loaners if you didn't purchase from them, and they often make you wait for an appointment. Rallye always accommodates me. They charge a lot but at least their service is good.
I'll be ordering the $295 kit from Hansel Prestige Acura in CA when my time comes. Does Ralley's $1000 quote include parts, or is that just for labor?

I recently had rear pads with new rotors done at my local Mavis Tire. They use Centric brake parts and their prices were reasonable. No problems. Since yours is an automatic, front brakes are not anywhere near the cost or headache of us 6MTers with the Brembos. If you do decide to go with OEM pads, get the A-Specs.

As for the spark plugs, I would have done them myself if not for the agony (though some here would dispute that) of getting to the 3 in the rear. Autozone seems to have the best prices on the NGK plugs, $9.99 each. I know a small garage in Maspeth run by an Asian guy on his own that'll do them for $40 labor (cash). I was quoted at least TWICE that by local garages.

PM or email me for more info, or call me at 1-800-50-SOPRANOS
Old 07-21-2010 | 09:52 AM
8th Gear

I got mine done at Hamilton Honda this past weekend ($497 all in). They have a shuttle that can pick and drop you anywhere close by...i spent the day at the mall and watched a few movies
Old 07-21-2010 | 11:01 AM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

Nothing against the Acura guy doing it on the side, but I'd definitely try to find a Honda dealer who are willing to do the job. I recently had my front brakes done (incl replacing brake fluid) at Sport Honda for a little over $300.
Old 07-21-2010 | 01:24 PM
Advanced

For a job like that, I wouldn't have a guy do it as a side job to save a couple hundred bucks.

If it goes bad, what's your recourse going to be? (Let me give you a hint....probably none)

I'd be comfortable with a Honda dealer doing it, (I take my Lexus to a Toyota dealer) or I'd be comfortable with a good independent mechanic with a legitimate shop, but not some guy doing a side job.

I had a $9,000 HVAC job done on my house by a guy doing it as a side job, and will never do that again.
Old 07-21-2010 | 08:20 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Just negotiate with the service manager at a few different Acura dealers. You should be able to find one that will do it for under $1000. I managed to get this done for about $950 including the parts and the plugs too. They might agree to a decent price with you supplying the parts yourself.