Sponsored by:

Help me choose: TL or FX35

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 06:38 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me choose: TL or FX35

Hey everybody,

I currently have an 01 MDX that I'm about to give up. While I've enjoed it, I kind of want something with a little more sport. So.....

I've narrowed my options down to a TL or FX35. While the two seem pretty different, they are also kind of similar. Similar horsepower. Both handle great (TL better, FX is what it is). Both are luxurious.

Where they differ: The TL gets better gas mileage, is a little faster and has the best navigation. The FX is more distinctive, has more utility with the foldown seats. I won't get the nav in it because it prices it too high and I've been spoiled by the nav in my MDX.

So, I know I'm asking some biased people, but are any of you regretting (a little) going with the TL?

Did any of you consider the FX?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2004, 06:51 AM
Advanced

FX vs TL

MDXer,
You won't believe this but I traded in a 10 month old 2003 FX35 for a loaded 6sp Navi TL. I don't regret the trading in the FX but it was a great vehicle. The FX rides very firm, but I believe they have softened the suspension a little in 04. It looks really cool and is deceptively fast. It also handles very well. I would not say that my TL handles better becuase the FX inspired more confidence with its big tires and stiff suspension. The FX interior is very nice but I just couldn't stand it without the nav. Do not make the mistake of not getting the nav. You can break up the packages a little more in O4. I decided to trade becuase I was just tired of the jarring ride and lack of toys but I did enjoy driving it very much. The TL is just so smooth and quite that is is a treat to drive. I really feel like I am in a much more expensive vehicle every time I drive my TL and I have had much more expensive vehicles. The TL would be perfect if it were all wheel drive. I have another SUV for my wife and really didn't need the space of the FX any longer so I don't miss that part. You really need to drive both and decide on the utility part. Keep one thing in mind, the FX is a rear wheel drive vehicle until the wheels slip, then it will give power to the front wheels. Every time you start it is in awd and then switches to all rwd until slippage occurs. This means you really drive it like a rwd car in the snow. Its a little different but much more fun! Hope this helps!
Old 01-23-2004, 07:36 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Fig32's post is one of the best you will probably get because he actually OWNED the FX35 and traded it in on the TL.

A year or so ago, I drove the FX35 and thought it a big sluggish. Then I hopped in an FX45 - whoooaaa!!!! Substantial difference in my opinion. Plus, the styling...well, either you love it or hate it.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:09 AM
3rd Gear

Chose the TL over the FX35

I agree that the Tl is the better choice - I actually had it narrowed to the FX35 and TL before having the TL win out. I realized that I didn't need the extra space of the 4x4 and the additional cost for the FX didn't cut it. Didn't like that I had to get some options (like the DVD Video monitor) if I wanted the upgraded stereo - I didn't need to entertain my collegues - no kids.

5,000 kms on the TL Dynamic and no regrets, although the FX35 does still look awesome!

Good luck
Old 01-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Cruisin'

I went with a specific purpose of buying an FX35 with options for G35AWD or a TL. I really liked the ride and drive of the FX35, however I did not like the overly long hood and high vantage point. It seemed as if I was driving a semi. I would have liked to have the convenience of an SUV, however along with the concerns on the drivers viewpoint and price, my best option was the TL. I am glad I made the choice, maybe I'll get a Murano or FX35 later and keep my TL.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Instructor

My final choices were the FX35 and the TL too and I picked the TL. One of the major reasons I bought the TL was the value. For the money I spent on a TL with Navi, I would have only got the base FX35 with the sports package. Also being the tech-geek I am I really wanted the satellite radio and handsfree link. I didn't like the tacked on look of the FX with the satellite radio, since it is a dealer option. Another factor was the interior of the FX. Sorry, but it looked cheap to me (as does the interior for the G35). I just can't justify spending over $35K for a car with an interior that looks like a base Nissan. Infiniti needs to get the FX and G interiors up to the same grade as the M and Q. My regrets for not buying the FX is the overall utility of the vehicle, its ride height (nice to see over cars) and the service level (the dealership I was dealing with had a fantastic service department).

However, now that I've had my TL for several months, I'm very happy with it. As far as I'm concerned it is the best deal around in its class. I guess it really comes down to person choice. So far I haven't missed have the extra hauling capacity (I had a CR-V before) and the better gas mileage is nice. I can't live without an XM radio now, and same with the navi, so the TL has spoiled me.

Good luck with your decision, either way you will be getting a great car.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The FX series looks hot and I would consider them if I were looking for a crossover vehicle. No regrets about the TL.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:40 PM
Banned

Re: Help me choose: TL or FX35

Originally posted by mdxer

So, I know I'm asking some biased people, but are any of you regretting (a little) going with the TL?

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Yes I am biased, and no I have no regrets whatsoever, even considering the minor issues everyone is having.

TL, all the way.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Racer

I personally think your comparing apples to oranges, but of course I'm biased so my vote is the TL.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Race Director

The FX has some really cool features including the Keyless Entry with the Proximity Sensor. And some very other cool features.

But the TL has some Awesome features to! Including Bluetooth, Voice Activated Navigation, DVD Audio, and many others.

I say they are both a good pick but Personally I like the looks of the TL Better, its a little more muscular and manly for my tastes.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Intermediate

The FX is the goofiest thing this side of that BMW roadster that looked like a shoe!

Get the TL.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, these were my choices too.
I would never buy the FX35 without navigation, but the navigation system was not as good as the TL, and you couldn't program it while you were driving.
I liked the keyless entry (gadget!) of the FX, but overall the bluetooth and voice commands won the gadget war.

Overall, I thought the two were very comparible, although completely differenet vehicles. But the the price and TCO came into play and I picked the TL.

-=Nick=-
Old 01-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Got 2004 TL?

NathanSilver
Old 01-23-2004, 03:38 PM
Advanced

Well, you are asking the question TL or FX in the TL forum, of course you will get most vote from the TL. Vice versa, if you went to FX forum, FX will win the vote. I think you should go to Lexus forum and ask this question, just to be fair....
Old 01-23-2004, 03:46 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
FX35...hands down! I have had mine for almost 1 year now and LOVE this thing as much now as I did the day I drove it off the lot.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Funny, right now i have an fx35 sitting in my garage as a loaner for my I35. I think the fx is a great car, and it's fun to drive, however it's an suv. If you want an awesome touring car with great features (for less money than a similiarly equipped FX) you have to go with the TL. If you want a great cross over vehicle that has the ability to haul and handle snow, the FX is the choice. You can get great features as well, but again, they add up very quickly.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Team SSM

I actually have a 04 TL and a FX 45 in my garage right now. For some reason I actually think the FX 45 is sportier than the TL, from interior(....the seats are AWESOME), exterior, and engine. The engine makes a very very very nice roar, also the Sport Shift on the FX is alot better than TL's.
But if you dont need extra space or AWD, for snow,. I would go with the TL. The TL of course has a softer ride, some neat gadgets, and very very nice price. Also the interior of the TL is more luxury than the FX. But if your planning on getting an FX35 with technology package thats a different story. I would go with the FX then.

Oh and I was able to buy the 03 FX45 (MSRP 47.5k) for 41K back in november. Infiniti will bring down the price alot, unlike acura.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:50 PM
9th Gear

I want to thank all of you for taking the time to give me your thoughts.

It's amazing that a good amount of you cross shopped these two cars. Doesn't make me think I'm crazy anymore

Out the door an 04 FX35 Premium would run $39k. I've found an AT NAV TL for $36K. So a $4K difference. Hard choice.
But to equip the FX like the TL, I'm looking at like $7K-$8K more than the TL. Makes the TL more attractive.

Plus my wife prefers the FX. She's thinking about kids in the future and thinks its safer. Hmmmm.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2004, 12:25 AM
Renaissance Man

FX35 - 4220 lbs
TL - 3575 lbs
That's a 20% difference!
It depends on your definition of safe, but I'd go with the TL due to less inertia. Less inertia means more ability to avoid the accident in the first place by changing directions faster and easier. So now you just have to convince your wife that less inertia + lower center of gravity = less likelihood of an unavoidable accident. Plus the kids will be much more comfortable in the TL, and it'll be easier to get the car seats in a lower door opening!

Sean
Old 01-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Team SSM

but during winter fx is safer