3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Car in tint shop as we speak and they can't get the Moleskin to stick!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Car in tint shop as we speak and they can't get the Moleskin to stick!

Hi Guys (& Gals),

My car is in the tint shop as I write this. They called me few minutes ago to say they cannot get the moleskin to stick to whatever it is they have to stick it to. They said they tried cleaning the part with everything they have in the shop and still cannot get it to stick. They are the best tint shop in my area. Any ideas from anyone here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:17 AM
aw1
Pro

tell them to clean the weather strip first. i didnt have a problem of them not sticking.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
moleskin

wat is moleskin ? is that a special kind of tint or something ? i keep hearing about it but dont know wat it is
Old 06-02-2008, 10:25 AM
08 TL-S Kinetic Blue

same here...what is this moleskin stuff?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:28 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by 08 wdp type s
wat is moleskin ? is that a special kind of tint or something ? i keep hearing about it but dont know wat it is
It's a felt-type strip that catches particles. If the particles get between the weather strip and the tint, it'll cause scratches. Use SEARCH.

[/THREADJACK]

OP - if they can't properly clean and/or degrease your weather stripping, I'd question their abilty to do the rest of the job.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Have them finish the job and install it yourself. Just don't role the windows down in the meantime.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ..Mark..
Have them finish the job and install it yourself. Just don't role the windows down in the meantime.
Do you know of a good DYI?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
maybe the moleskin they are using is old and its adhesive isn't as strong as it used to be...tell them to get some new moleskin?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Pro

there is a DIY in the garage, but I don't think the link works anymore - i haven't checked it recently. in any case its pretty easy to do, just need to pull back the trim and pull off the weather strip or you can remove the entire door panel and do the same
Old 06-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Buy it:
http:///forummembers/

Install it:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...7&page=2&pp=40
Old 06-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Hi Guys,

The Tint shop called me back. They said they were able to get the Moleskin adhesive to finally stick after some more cleaning. I only had them put it on the front doors, so I will keep tintprotector.com in mind for the back windows if I find a need. I really appreciate all the input from you guys. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Check out this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/how-set-up-transactional-web-sites-139437/
Old 06-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by playa4real
there is a DIY in the garage, but I don't think the link works anymore - i haven't checked it recently. in any case its pretty easy to do, just need to pull back the trim and pull off the weather strip or you can remove the entire door panel and do the same
I put some pictures up from my install in the thread with broken links.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ajdigerati
Do you know of a good DYI?
x2 Do Yourself It!
Old 06-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Instructor

UPDATE - Bad News

Well I got my car back the same day and found a scratch on the driver's door tint the very next day. I took it back to the shop and they replaced the driver side door tint as I waited. The weather here has been crappy for the last week so the tint took a while to cure, dry, bond, or what ever it is that it does, but yesterday was hot and sunny all day so the sun beat down on it all day finishing the drying process. So as I walked up to my car after work I noticed two bubble on the driver side passenger door and upon closer inspection I found several other specs of dust and bubble in the tint.

I immediately called up the shop and spoke to the owner. He had me bring the car in for him to inspect. He look at it and then proceeded to try to convince me that was a really good tint job and that I would not find a better one He seemed like a nice guy so, beside being clueless, I remained civil with him. I point out like a 100 little spots of dust and bubble to him and he still said that was a good tint job

He agreed to redo the doors but not the rear window, which I did not agree to. So we decided to have him remove his lousy tint job and give me back my money, minus the felt strip cost. He is removing my tint as I post this

This place was suppose to be one of the best shops in the area. The guys been tinting windows for 20 years, but I guess he's lost his touch or have had great luck with customers who don't care. I am sure I could have done a better tint job than what I paid him $420 for.

Anyway, I thought I would give you guys an update.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Suggestions?

If you want something done right, do it yourself. That is my creed, and I should have known better.

Who here has tinted there own windows and where did you buy your tint?

I have NAV in my car so I will need Non-metallic Tint.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Pro

$420 for a tint job? are you serious? Did you get the Huper Optik tint?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Pro

i paid 230 for mine with the moleskin..i got 3M HP.

btw that hasnt caused any problems with the nav.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Yep, $420, I got the reciept right here. The film Llumar ATX 40% in front, 30% in the rear.

I knew $420 was a little steap, but I was expecting perfection for that price. Boy was I wrong.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Not just another newbie!

Wow, thats expensive. I paid $175 for 35% 3M film all the way around. That sucks about the work quality, if he's the "best", you're screwed.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Banned

Tint Protector use’s an adhesive that is similar to Super Glue.

That's why ours lasts and the generic stuff doesn’t.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by flnsx
Tint Protector use’s an adhesive that is similar to Super Glue.

That's why ours lasts and the generic stuff doesn’t.
I have had terrible experiences with your stuff...two times.

I purchased Moleskin from Tint Protector and did a DIY on the rear windows AFTER the tint was installed. Cleaned the rubber with alcohol, used sandpaper, let it dry for 45 minutes then installed it. The front windows i had done professionally and they tell me they did the same process as per the instructions in the Ziploc bag i got from you. It was fine for 3 weeks. Now, the weather got very hot and humid and i have 4 windows with glue all over them. I have read on this forum that other people have experienced the same issues with your product.

Now, i have to go back to the tint place and pay $125 for the 4 windows to be retinted...but this time i am using the "moleskin" which the tint place normally uses. You fooled me once with your "my product is superior"---not happening again!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Registered speed offender

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
moleskin is a waste of money.. im from a sandy ass desert and been thru many sand storms (ive even had to get a whole new paint job) and my inside tint is less scratched than my friends type s with moleskin...whoopty doo...not worth the trouble.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
ouch
Old 06-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ajdigerati
Hi Guys,

The Tint shop called me back. They said they were able to get the Moleskin adhesive to finally stick after some more cleaning. I only had them put it on the front doors, so I will keep tintprotector.com in mind for the back windows if I find a need. I really appreciate all the input from you guys. Thanks!
If it makes you feel better about the back windows, I don't have moleskin and my tints are fine - had them for almost 3 years now and still no scratches.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by deltaboxxx
moleskin is a waste of money.. im from a sandy ass desert and been thru many sand storms (ive even had to get a whole new paint job) and my inside tint is less scratched than my friends type s with moleskin...whoopty doo...not worth the trouble.
When i originally got my windows tinted in April 07, they scratched immediately upon opening the windows. I got my windows re-tinted at the beginning of May '08 and applied moleskin right away. It actually prevented any scratches. But, as soon as the weather became very hot and humid, the glue ran all over the windows. I think moleskin works if you buy a quality version...something which i think Tint Protector is severely lacking...
Old 06-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Registered speed offender

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
lol yah..im pretty sure the same thing happened to my buddys type s but not real bad..in the town im from it reaches up to about 120 degrees in the summer time..
Old 06-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by vinnier6
ouch
+1

I wouldnt mind buying flnsx's moleskin and installing it myself, but say if it does come off and ruin my tint..will he cover the cost to get it repaired? Probably not. Since that's the case, I'd rather go to a tinter who installs the moleskin so if it ever does come off or if the tint does get scratched they will replace it all for free (lifetime warranty).

One of mine actually did come off about 2 weeks after the installation, but thats because a little part of the felt got caught to the window when i rolled it down and then when i rolled the window up..the window just pulled it off. The other 3 windows are fine..i roll them up/down a couple of times everyday. Normally, I would be pissed about this, but Steve at Tint Max guarantees his work so I can get it done for free + get a free car wash

-----

hey ajdigerati where are you located? i'm sure other Aziners can recommend good tinters in ur area
Old 06-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
OMGosh...you paid $420 for that?!?!?! Dude...i got mine for 150 and it's fine...aside from the scratches, but that's just because I didn't know about the moleskin...
Old 06-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Looking for a side chick

As said before, I too am experiencing the streaking with the "Tint Protector" moleskin. Installed as per instructions and I've got a mess on both front windows! Driver's side is actually starting to come up as I can see it peeking up in the forward corner! Still need to pull the panel and see if I can fix it and prevent anymore mess.

Besides all that, I still got a scratch immediately after having installed the 'skins.

My advice: let the buyer beware. It's awful easy to read a few things on a message board and assume it's gospel. "Tint Protector" paid a fee (I'm assuming) to be an "authorized vendor" here. That doesn't mean their product went through stringent quality control analysis.

Not trying to be a dick, just sharing my personal experience.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:05 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
+1

I wouldnt mind buying flnsx's moleskin and installing it myself, but say if it does come off and ruin my tint..will he cover the cost to get it repaired? Probably not. Since that's the case, I'd rather go to a tinter who installs the moleskin so if it ever does come off or if the tint does get scratched they will replace it all for free (lifetime warranty).

One of mine actually did come off about 2 weeks after the installation, but thats because a little part of the felt got caught to the window when i rolled it down and then when i rolled the window up..the window just pulled it off. The other 3 windows are fine..i roll them up/down a couple of times everyday. Normally, I would be pissed about this, but Steve at Tint Max guarantees his work so I can get it done for free + get a free car wash

-----

hey ajdigerati where are you located? i'm sure other Aziners can recommend good tinters in ur area
+2

I too bought moleskin at 1st with the intention of doing it myself but opted to let Steve do it for me for a $10 extra because it would be covered warranty. I looked at the stuff and it ISN'T as good quality as flnsx's. I just looks to be some regular felt from Michael's arts and crafts or something and I can tell he cut the strips off a big piece of felt, they are not from a roll.....One of mine already came off too but no scratches yet. I don't care, as for me I am covered under Steve's warranty.

I don't think anyone can really 100% guarantee that the moleskin will stick at all temperatures. It's tough to make something peel/stick and self-adhere to rubber. Even if they used 3M adhesive. You will need to supplement the adhesive with some type of liquid glue that will stick to the rubber and have a high melting point. I'm sure home depot would sell an epoxy-like glue that is good for rubber/felt. In order to prepare and reglue an area the surfaces need to be completely recleaned. Use alcohol or even goo-gone if necessary. Sanding as mentioned would help too. After gluing it will need a proper curing time and I think it's good to go.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Looking for a side chick

rockyfeller - "Sanding as mentioned would help too. After gluing it will need a proper curing time and I think it's good to go."

I'm hoping the ol' Gorilla Glue will do the trick!

I'm not using Super Glue; apparently, Tint Protector's adhesive uses the same stuff that's in Super Glue...
Old 06-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Master Tasker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. $420 is way too much unless you had custom graphics or something. Installers in my neck of the woods routinely charge $150-$250 for most 4dr sedan.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:42 AM
aw1
Pro

I to have the same issue with the glue streaking during the Spring/Summer. Usually just use windex to get rid of it until it comes back.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:52 AM
King of NYC

$420 is absolutely outrageous BTW!!! You seem to be a nice-guy who got run-over!! Someone fed you some mumbo-jumbo.

You can get a top-notch job done for under $250 anywhere in the US. Just be smart and shop around. Some have even done it for $100! See who your friends have used, that way you know for sure. You can see how happy they are and how well their car came out. Don't worry about metallic, I have 3M HP as well with 0 side-effects!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
+2

I too bought moleskin at 1st with the intention of doing it myself but opted to let Steve do it for me for a $10 extra because it would be covered warranty. I looked at the stuff and it ISN'T as good quality as flnsx's. I just looks to be some regular felt from Michael's arts and crafts or something and I can tell he cut the strips off a big piece of felt, they are not from a roll.....One of mine already came off too but no scratches yet. I don't care, as for me I am covered under Steve's warranty.
Mine was off of a roll. Its probably still the same stuff..as you said its not the best, but its always covered so no complaints.

Btw..did you end up getting yours fixed? I have yet to do mine..i'm thinking i might get my rear window re-done to 20% because the 30% is just too light..if i do get it done, i'll probably have him fix the felt then. for now though im still driving without the seal in place..not bad but the road noise is getting annoying.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

WE have sold thousands of kits. Our Moleskin has lasted for years and years customers cars and my two personal ones as well.

If you sand the weather strip to much the Moleskin can't stick to it. How much did you sand it?

It think it's an installation problem. Either over sanding or using to coarse sandpaper that left deep groves in the plastic of the weather strip.

You should also install the moleskin AFTER the tint is applied.

BLUE07TLS, I had NO intention of "fooling you". I started this company to fix my two cars tint from scratching. I wouldn’t sell it if it didn’t work better than the generic stuff that is out there. I have no seen any other moleskin that works better than mine. Have you tried others? Why knock my product before you tried others? They don’t work AT ALL! Not even for a short period of time.

The TL's door panel is VERY tight. Much tighter than most other cars. The heat and pressure can sometimes cause it to detach under extreme conditions if it was not installed correctly in the first place.

James
Old 06-11-2008, 11:11 PM
King of NYC

Mine was off of a roll. Its probably still the same stuff..as you said its not the best, but its always covered so no complaints.

Btw..did you end up getting yours fixed? I have yet to do mine..i'm thinking i might get my rear window re-done to 20% because the 30% is just too light..if i do get it done, i'll probably have him fix the felt then. for now though im still driving without the seal in place..not bad but the road noise is getting annoying.
Yeah mine is not from a roll because it isn't even cut evenly lol. I stuck my hand in there a bit today and half of it is hanging down into the door. It's not bothering me much and rarely anybody sits there, and nowadays even if they do, the window rarely goes down because I ahev the AC on most of the time. I'll just get it done when of these days when I'm in the neighborhood.

I have 30% too but had my rear done in 20%. Absolutely the perfect darkness. Not too light not too dark, just right.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Looking for a side chick

In the spirit of full disclosure...

Just wanted to point out several things:

- First, I bought Tint Protector moleskins based upon what I thought to be very positive customer feedback
- I received my product in a very timely manner and found it to have fairly comprehensive instructions
- The stuff is sticky as hell! For the life of me, I can't imagine it coming off which is why I'm disappointed at my situation
- I never contacted Tint Protector to seek any sort of assistance. Therefore, I can not say what options I would have been given. Shame on me.
- I'm not bashing Tint Protector, I'm simply saying that, as with any product, things don't always work out perfectly and this has been MY experience. YMMV, etc. etc.

In fairness, wanted to give all aspects of the story.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Yeah mine is not from a roll because it isn't even cut evenly lol. I stuck my hand in there a bit today and half of it is hanging down into the door. It's not bothering me much and rarely anybody sits there, and nowadays even if they do, the window rarely goes down because I ahev the AC on most of the time. I'll just get it done when of these days when I'm in the neighborhood.

I have 30% too but had my rear done in 20%. Absolutely the perfect darkness. Not too light not too dark, just right.
hahaha..thats crazy. i wouldnt have expected that.

as for the 20% rear.. you got that? for some reason i was under the impression that you got 30 all around so when i was looking at your pictures, i was like that rear looks good therefore i got 30 all around. looks like i have to dish out another 100 bucks? or so to get it down to 20%

Quick Reply: HELP! Car in tint shop as we speak and they can't get the Moleskin to stick!