3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has any purchased the body side cladding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has any purchased the body side cladding?

I would like to protect the doors from dings and Honda offers horizontal strips for this type of protection. Has anyone purchased these honda "strips"? If so, how do they look on the door, and what did it cost to buy and install?
Old 04-21-2004, 06:38 PM
You touch my tra la la...

I got them as an option when purchasing my car simply because I like how they look. I saw them on a demo car that I test drove, in the color I was getting. IMO, very sharp.

The body side molding cost 175 on Acura's website and I am sure the dealer has them there to install.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
I have to hurry and get this in before boltjames gets his 2 cents in.

I like the body side moldings. This site won’t take the url, but put “hond” into google and the site will come up. You can get them there for $136.50 +3.95 handling, and I think shipping is free.

Installation is very easy. They give you cardboard templates and you just clean the side of the car real good and stick them on.

Here is a link with a picture. I couldn’t find the other links, but there are many of them in here with more pictures.
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/searc...searchid=15708
Old 04-21-2004, 08:31 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Boltjames here with his 2 cents:

Their FUCK*NG ugly! You may not get the Puffy Lumps From Hell and put them on your TL unless its a white one in which case you could put a Trans Am chicken on the hood for all we care.

The single most striking and unique design feature of the TL is the squared 'trench' that runs the length of the side of the vehicle, encompassing the side marker lights and door handles. As any first year design student will tell you, you cannot mix a squared indent against a rounded and puffy extrusion and have it look congruent.

People who opt for these as 'protection' are clearly vain. As a TL owner, you should be. It's a beautiful car. So which is the lesser of the two eventual evils:

Evil #1:

For 36 months your car looks spectacular, except for the 2 weeks that you anticipate having a fugly ding and the time it will take to get an appointment and have it quickly removed. Everyone who sees your car 'oohs' and 'aahs' and makes you feel really good about your vehicle.

Evil #2:

For 36 months your car looks awful. You never have a worry about a ding to remove, but even if you did what's the point? It looks like someone scooped out the door handle trench and put sticky tape on the scrapings and glued them to the lower doors. Everyone who sees your car says "What the fu*k did that person do to that car? They should have put a coffee can muffler and neon ground effects instead as its just as ugly."

Better to look like a God for 2 years and 50 weeks rather than look like a hag for all 3 years. Save the money on the PLFH and put them in the bank for the ding removal. You'll sleep better.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bolt - that was not two cents, that was a twenty spot taped to the side of a concrete block
Old 04-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Can one assume from all this that boltjames does not like the ugly lumps humbs bumps clumps stumps rumps from hell and that I have a white TL and like them.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Ron A
Can one assume from all this that boltjames does not like the ugly lumps humbs bumps clumps stumps rumps from hell and that I have a white TL and like them.
You've got a white TL? They look very nice.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:11 PM
Banned

if you really want them, get them, if you dont, then dont. how hard is that. in the end its your car.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you live and/or work in dense urban areas (i.e. downtown Chicago) and have to park frequently in parking garages, BSM's are a MUST!
Old 04-21-2004, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLGator
bolt - that was not two cents, that was a twenty spot taped to the side of a concrete block
Originally Posted by Ron A
I about lost it when I read those two comments. My wife was looking at me like I was on crack. One of the many reasons I keep coming back to this great forum.

I don't think they look that bad. As a matter of fact, I really don't notice them in the pics I have seen. I haven't seen them on a TL in person however, so I don't know first hand. As far as the protection these stripes afford, I opted against getting them. I live in the land of trucks and SUVs as I call it, so those stipes won't protect at all against those behemoths. Everyone here is an environmentalist driving an SUV; <sarcasm> makes perfect sense.</sarcasm>

Once I get the TL, I will just do what I normally do. Drop my wife off at the store entrance, park way out in the middle of nowhere, meet up with her inside and while she is in line go get the car hoping that it isn't stole since I parked it in the middle of nowhere . Not the optimal situation, but it works for me.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:16 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Jeez shut up. They pwn.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:27 AM
Racer

get them. unless youre stupid enough to like paying for dent removal.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:38 AM
Banned

BSM's make the TL look like a 55 and up community bingo CAR for the handicap

I even had the dealer take off that POS stripe that made it look like a CIVIC off!

On top of trying to charge $700 fo.. :devil: :devil: :rocketwho

lets do some pics side by side comparo..

that'll help you with you decision
Old 04-22-2004, 07:45 AM
Outnumbered at home

They look bad IMO. They make the sides have just too many lines. Too much going on with them on. Also they look taped on (afterthough vs a planned part of the car).

Main issues

1. They are painted color of car. So when they get hit by another door they chip and ding just like the door would. Whats the point?

2. They are at a height where 90% of the time they wont do anything anyway. Any SUV will go right over them into your door.

Waste of money
Old 04-22-2004, 07:50 AM
Burning Brakes

They look fine and have saved me many $$$ since last October. Good luck to those who love paying to get dings fixed.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:57 AM
Kelnshe

Hey, I have BSMs on mine, and they are necessary for me. I had 4 door dings in my ES300 and I had to have them all fixed before I turned in my lease - costing me about $250 or so. All of them except one would have been prevented had I had BSM. They've already saved me once (my own fault - incident in my garage), and I figure by parking in remote places and having BSMs, I'm doing all I can. I've seen them on a few 3-series Bimmers and they did not detract from the look at all. But, as always, YMMV.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Jss1
They look fine and have saved me many $$$ since last October. Good luck to those who love paying to get dings fixed.
What is the point of driving the nicest looking car on the road if you're going to kill it's most visible, unique, and dominant feature? Oh, on a $35,000 purchase a few hundred in ding suckers is chump-change.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Team WD Chaplain

I agree with boltjames. That character line chiseled into the side takes a big hit when you put on the BSMs that don't even run parallel to it.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Kelnshe

I have them because I hate the fact that I have to take time out of my day to get my car repaired because some inbred, insensitive skidmark felt he/she needed to open their door as wide as humanly possible and damage my property. I'm really not in the habit of throwing money away, and regardless if I spend $35K or $35, it's my loot. I work every day just like all of you. Money I have to spend repairing a ding is money I could be spending on:

1) my family
2) myself
3) whatever I deem important to me

Anyone with the chump change to throw away on a door ding repair, don't get it repaired and just send the money to me. I'll figure out something to do with it - trust me.

Character lines? I love my car with BSMs or without it - to me they don't diminish its looks in the least. I've had several people tell me what a beautiful car it is, and none ever said a word about BSMs. If they did, I could care less, since they don't pay the note. Bottom line - if you like BSMs, get 'em. Don't worry about what others think - IT'S YOUR CAR! Enjoy it!
Old 04-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boltjames
What is the point of driving the nicest looking car on the road if you're going to kill it's most visible, unique, and dominant feature? Oh, on a $35,000 purchase a few hundred in ding suckers is chump-change.

Doesn't kill the looks at all, neither do the mud guards imo. In fact I like the looks of them and the scuff marks from dents that were prevented are easily removed. Each to his own I guess. A few hundred for dings is chump change I agree as a one time deal, but whose stopping idiots from banging your doors every time you park? No thanks.