Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling of the TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handling of the TL

Hi. I'm on my way to leasing a new '04 TL this summer. I've sat in the car many times, but since I'm kind of young, the dealerships haven't let me test drive the cars without some parental appearance. I currently have a base RSX, and I attend Georgia-Tech in Atlanta. I love the way my RSX handles on the twisties and hills. Will the TL be noticeably worse @ handling? My Mom has an '03 Volvo S80, and the TL is comparable in size to it. In my experience, the S80 feels alright handling-wise, but definitely not as nice as my RSX. My Dad has an '03 Escalade, and my experience with that is even worse than the S80 (b/c it's an SUV I know). But, I bring up these two cars b/c I've driven them a lot...so would you guys rate the TL as in between the two, or better than the S80? I'm assuming it's better than the S80, but do you think I'll hate it when comparing with my RSX? Thanks.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow the S80 is not even remotely considered to be a car for spirited drivig. It is designed to be above all things safe and comfortable. I have driven a S80 T6 many times and having owned a '02 TL-S and now a TL, I can tell you that the TL will handle substantially better.

Comfort wise though, the S80 is tough to beat, but it does cost $10k more than a TL, and compares with a RL.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Safety Car

the RSX handles will feel alot more nimble than the TL. i have a older 3 series that i still have and when i drive that car it's more agile than my TL. of course the TL is faster and more comfortable so its a trade off. The TL is a large 4 door sports sedan vs the RSX which is a sporty compact.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:19 AM
Instructor

thanks! I'm glad the TL handles better than the S80...cause my parents want me to get the TL due to the fact that it's a much larger car. To them, large car= safer. Since I drive 12 hours to and from Atlanta and Miami, they don't trust me in the RSX all by myself.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:23 AM
Taistella Jokerit!

I think you are comparing apples, to oranges here.
Your best bet would be to test drive the TL, and then make up your mind if it is what you are looking for.
I don't think you'll be disappointed
Old 04-02-2004, 10:27 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rsxbond
Hi. I'm on my way to leasing a new '04 TL this summer. I've sat in the car many times, but since I'm kind of young, the dealerships haven't let me test drive the cars without some parental appearance. I currently have a base RSX, and I attend Georgia-Tech in Atlanta. I love the way my RSX handles on the twisties and hills. Will the TL be noticeably worse @ handling? My Mom has an '03 Volvo S80, and the TL is comparable in size to it. In my experience, the S80 feels alright handling-wise, but definitely not as nice as my RSX. My Dad has an '03 Escalade, and my experience with that is even worse than the S80 (b/c it's an SUV I know). But, I bring up these two cars b/c I've driven them a lot...so would you guys rate the TL as in between the two, or better than the S80? I'm assuming it's better than the S80, but do you think I'll hate it when comparing with my RSX? Thanks.
i'm 24, but i look 14, and both ed voyles and acuracarland have let test drive cars. so did audi and infiniti (just not lexus, those wankers). just go into a dealership, ask to talk to a sales rep, and ask to test drive the tl. i didn't really look all that nice in apperance, and they didn't care.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Racer

First, if handling is important, get the 6MT with summer tires. It makes the TL a very good handling car. The all seasons aren't very good, so if you get the automatic, think about a better tire. This car is wonderful in the twisties and hills are NO problem with 270 HP. As a word of warning, be careful on uneven and slippery pavement and don't try to apply all those 270 horses in first gear unless you hold on tight. For my tastes the biggest complaint I have in handling is that the shocks are a little too soft.
Compared to your RSX the TL will not be as nimble, but can likely out corner it due to the larger tires and more power. I took my 6MT to the SC/NC mountains and had a blast. This car is almost too fast for me at times. I was taking turns rated at 25 at over 50 and not even reaching the limit.
GO TECH!
Old 04-03-2004, 08:42 AM
Pro

I have both cars. The RSX is a fun car to throw around because it's much lighter. But, the TL is also fun to drive especially if you lowere it and slap on a great set of tires and rims.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:40 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to me i like the RSX handling over the TLs but Lux in the TL is not even a comparison. But for handling purposes the cars feel diff. i think the RSX gives the driver more confidence the TL take time to get used to plus I take turns at 90 degree turns @ 40mph the half of the car ends up in the other lane in a 2 lane road. hope that helps
Old 04-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Instructor

Thanks everyone! Lakeman...are you a Tech student? I am, and today's the Final Four, so GO TECH!!