Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gun Safe in '06 TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 03:17 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gun Safe in '06 TL

Looking to mount a small handgun safe in my 06 TL. Can't slide one under the seat (power mechanism in the way), glove box is too small, as is the center storage unit.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-07-2011, 03:26 PM

Received 5,895 Likes on 2,903 Posts
Not sure how much help you're going to find in the Performance Mods section of 3G. You might want to post the question here: https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/official-gun-enthusiast-news-discussion-thread-380634/ and specify that you have a 3G TL. You'll probably get a better response. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:35 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
get some limo tints so u can leave it out in the open.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
some ideas here...

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/question-about-secret-storage-gun-761582/
Old 07-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by paperboy42190
No offense to you, but that is one of the WORST ideas...
Old 07-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
please elaborate.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:13 PM
5th Gear

paperboy- I feel like really dark tints are just an advertisement that you have something to hide

paz- Thanks. some good ideas there
Old 07-07-2011, 05:57 PM
5th Gear

After tinkering around in the car a bit to see where some good spots are, I'm thinking of under the floor mat behind the passenger seat. Some safes are only about 1 3/4" thick, and I could fabricate a housing for the safe so it would raise the whole mat the same amount, and then it would be hardly noticeable from outside. Only difference would be when someone sits back there and complains that the seat is too low. Also, less than 2" isn't noticeable to where you would need to dummy the other side just to match.

There should be metal panels under the carpeting that I could drill through, right? Should be pretty simple once the carpeting is pulled back.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Instructor

I keep my M&P 9c on the in the cup holder when im driving, other then that its on my person always
Old 07-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Instructor

are you trying to keep the gun in the car all the time?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Oh you Yanks and your guns!!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:55 PM
5th Gear

I want somewhere that I can store it, within reach of the drivers seat, when I go places that do not allow carry. I don't want to have to get out and put it in the trunk. Normally I carry on my person while driving, but want to have a place to store it or other valuables in the event I can't or don't want to carry.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Instructor

your make a valid point, most of the thing i stuck leaving it in the center console when place do not permit it
Old 07-07-2011, 08:25 PM
VGT
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TLinCincy
I want somewhere that I can store it, within reach of the drivers seat, when I go places that do not allow carry. I don't want to have to get out and put it in the trunk. Normally I carry on my person while driving, but want to have a place to store it or other valuables in the event I can't or don't want to carry.
Check the laws on nearby states, some places (like NJ) a locked safe in the passenger compartment is still a felony.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
i was trolling lol
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-07-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've never looked under the dash but I'm sure there's some place there you can mount a lightweight lockable case under there. Depending on where you live you can probably keep it unlocked but have a door for it. In my previous car I had lots of leg room on the center console next to my right foot. I was gonna buy a rest pad for the side of my knee when I'm cruising and just want a place to rest my knee. So I was thinking ..what if you rig that same area where the rest pad would go, and place a lockable or zip-up case for a compact or sub-c? There's an idea for ya.

Depending on where you live, it can be legal.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:11 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Its a bit of a pain, but you can pull out the plastic piece under the glove box. you could rig some way of stashing it under there perhaps.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
you have a glovebox + armrest compartment. what more do you need?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Looking to mount a small handgun safe in my 06 TL. Can't slide one under the seat (power mechanism in the way), glove box is too small, as is the center storage unit.

Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by snake134
you have a glovebox + armrest compartment. what more do you need?
Ummm...
Old 07-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c
Ummm...
a lot of threads have become tl;dr for me. but i would suspect a handgun to fit in the glove compartment, if not, just velcro that bish in the footwell
Old 07-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The new Ruger 38 with an extra clip fits very nicely in the upper console compartment on my '07TLS. Anything larger will probably have to go where most thieves look
Old 07-08-2011, 01:18 AM
Its good to be FRESH!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i do not give my business to places that do no allow firearms. I carry 24/7.

but stack on has an in car safe that my buddy uses when on sales calls. its like 60 bucks
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104369580

Last edited by philly fresh; 07-08-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:25 AM
UA6 NPB!!!!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I use to keep mine in the little compartment on the side of the door. used the hinges where the sunglass holder is and fabricated a holder for a glock 22. its nifty place. hard to see easy to get to. gotta kinda mold the bottom part of the door but it works.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Whenever possible, you should keep your gun on your person at all times. I know that there are times when this is either not possible or advisable so the next best thing is a gun safe in your car. Consider bolting or securing with cable, a safe in your trunk for those times when you are not able to take your firearm with you.

As for when you're driving, never put it on the passenger seat. If you have to slam on your brakes or if you hit someone in front of you, your gun is going to wind up landing in the foot well. As was mentioned, on your person in a holster or in the forward cup holder are the best places.

I do understand the frustration of having to deal with these considerations as I have and continue, to be faced with them myself from time to time. Fortunately for me, Virginia is VERY gun-lenient and gun-friendly so carrying is rarely a problem. But there are times when you are left with little choice.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I carry a Sig P226 TacOps that has no chance of fitting in the glove box or console so I actually had a Serpa holster attached to the middle console area at the bottom of the seat. Never gets in the way and I never have to worry about the gun flying around the foot well if I have to slam on the brakes.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Get a concealed weapons permit and buy a belt holster. Take your sidearm with you instead of leaving it in the car.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Its good to be FRESH!!

know the law. businesses must display the correct 30.06 sign. If it is not the correct sign, you can not be punished. A picture of a gun with a slash across it is not the correct sign. Only places you are legally not allowed to carry are govt buildings and bars. Every other place cannot have you arrested.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-08-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Advanced

I live in Utah and have a resident CFP as well as a non-resident AZ CFP so I'm pretty much covered anywhere I normally travel. I take my gun off in the car because the bottom of the magazine digs into the leather and I don't want it to get a hole in it. Plus it's a lot easier to access in the serpa holster than from my IWB holster.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:41 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for everyones thoughts. I'm in Ohio and I do have a CCW, and normally do conceal, its just for those times when I need to go somewhere where I can't carry.

The glove box isn't that big, after the manual and a few papers in there its basically full. My 4" Springfield XD will not fit in there unless I virtually empty it, and the center storage area isn't so great either. I want to be able to lock it somewhere.

I might just suck it up and bolt something in the trunk. I want something in the cabin, though.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Balling in the...

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts
Hey Take out the Drink Carrier from the Back hand rest and make something with a locking mechanism in there. Ive seem plenty of guys throw a DVD player in there so im pretty sure with a creative guy they can add a Draw with a lock and key in that back boy.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:54 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Find someplace to mount this sucker

http://www.texascustomholsters.com/custom-holsters/
Old 07-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Advanced

^ that's where I mounted a serpa holster on the side of the middle console area.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:09 PM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Guys, in Ohio we have very strict rules regarding firearms in cars. Fortunately, our governor just signed a bill last week that goes into effect in about 90 days. It removes all restrictions on how a gun is stored in a car, as well as allows CCW licensees to carry in restaurants and bars that serve alcohol (though, we cannot consume).

Some of you are giving blanket assessments that do not apply to Ohio. We do not have 30.06 signs in Ohio. While the holster on the side of the dash is sweet, it is very illegal to have that here in Ohio (at least for the next 90 days).

The transportation of loaded, concealed handguns in motor vehicles is permitted, but strict obligations are imposed by the law to protect you and law enforcement. These obligations apply to drivers and occupants. These obligations do not apply if you are storing a firearm for any lawful purpose and it is not on your person or you are lawfully storing or possessing a firearm in your home.

If you have a concealed carry permit, you may not transport a loaded, concealed handgun in a vehicle unless it is carried in one of the following ways:

1.The loaded handgun is in a holster secured on the person. Ohio law previously required carrying firearms in a holster in plain sight. The “plain sight” provision has been removed from the law.

2.The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover or closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun, or

3.The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed, glove compartment or console, or in a case that is locked. Motorcycles fall under the definition of motor vehicles. Thus, the same requirements apply to licensees who carry a handgun while on a motorcycle.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Its good to be FRESH!!

maybe getting a smaller gun would be more practical. plenty of options if you really want to carry. pocket gun like a Ruger LCP. or an S&W airweight revolver in an ankle holster. if you are dead set on carrying your xd, you can always carry in a shoulder holster and just have your shirts altered so that the middle two buttons are snaps so you can access your weapon. or maybe get an XD sc. its what i carry, but i also carry a Sig 229 which is about the same size as your XD. My Dan Wesson Vbob will be here tuesday and thats what ill be carrying. my buddy switches between a glock 26 and a Springer 1911 emp. both ride in a comp tac MTac. I use a crossbreed supertuck. i have yet to find clothes, even dress clothes, that it will print through.

its been discussed many times over on the gun boards, but there is no one gun that fits all applications. i know you said there are times that you cannot carry, so im assuming that its on govt property or a school. which means that you cannot even have it in your car while on their property to include their parking lot.

so if my interpretation of those laws is correct, than unloading the firearm prior to you leaving it in the car would be okay. im so glad i live in texas.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by philly fresh
maybe getting a smaller gun would be more practical. plenty of options if you really want to carry. pocket gun like a Ruger LCP. or an S&W airweight revolver in an ankle holster. if you are dead set on carrying your xd, you can always carry in a shoulder holster and just have your shirts altered so that the middle two buttons are snaps so you can access your weapon. or maybe get an XD sc. its what i carry, but i also carry a Sig 229 which is about the same size as your XD. My Dan Wesson Vbob will be here tuesday and thats what ill be carrying. my buddy switches between a glock 26 and a Springer 1911 emp. both ride in a comp tac MTac. I use a crossbreed supertuck. i have yet to find clothes, even dress clothes, that it will print through.

its been discussed many times over on the gun boards, but there is no one gun that fits all applications. i know you said there are times that you cannot carry, so im assuming that its on govt property or a school. which means that you cannot even have it in your car while on their property to include their parking lot.

so if my interpretation of those laws is correct, than unloading the firearm prior to you leaving it in the car would be okay. im so glad i live in texas.
Texas is a great state. I love the fact that you Texans frequently thumb your collective noses at the feds. But I have to tell you, Virginia is more lenient than Texas when it comes to carrying a sidearm. Here open carry is the normal, or default, mode of carry. Concealed is the exceptional mode as for this, we must have a CHP when going out and about (hate the idea of asking permission from our servants to exercise a most basic right).

We can carry into a K-12 school parking lot to pickup or let off children. It must be concealed and we cannot get out of the car while doing this.

We can carry into restaurants where alcohol is served for consumption on the premise, either openly or concealed. If concealed, we cannot imbibe but we can drink if it is open though most all of us consider that to be very bad form. BTW, Virginia has no bars.

And there are no statutes against carrying into banks, polling places (as long as they are not K-12 schools), or any other businesses. And no concerns about carrying open or concealed within 1000' of K-12 school property, as long as you have a CHP... even though U.S Code 18,922 makes no mention of this it has been interpreted as such.

And you don't even need a permit to conceal a handgun within secured locations in your car's cabin (secured does not mean locked).
Old 07-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by leedogg
Find someplace to mount this sucker

http://www.texascustomholsters.com/custom-holsters/
oh that's niceeee
Old 07-09-2011, 07:51 AM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by paperboy42190

Leave your wallet out too.. and any other cherishable items lol
Old 07-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oooh I have an XDM too lol. 3.8C 9MM.

As someone said, know the law in your area. IDK why he was talking about businesses when OP wanted to know about his car lol but know the law in your area. Some states do not allow lawful citizens to carry their weapon in the open, whether holstered or not.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TL_Trooper

As someone said, know the law in your area. IDK why he was talking about businesses when OP wanted to know about his car lol but know the law in your area. Some states do not allow lawful citizens to carry their weapon in the open, whether holstered or not.
True, though not in a holster is a whole other issue. Best thing to do for those who cherish their liberties is to leave those states and seek others where the public servants have not robbed their superiors, read that as the citizens, of their fundamental rights.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Its good to be FRESH!!

Originally Posted by TL_Trooper

because he stated there are places he cannot carry, which are probably businesses, which is why i brought that up. in texas we have a 30.06 sign that if display, is illegal to carry.

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Texas is a great state. I love the fact that you Texans frequently thumb your collective noses at the feds. But I have to tell you, Virginia is more lenient than Texas when it comes to carrying a sidearm. Here open carry is the normal, or default, mode of carry. Concealed is the exceptional mode as for this, we must have a CHP when going out and about (hate the idea of asking permission from our servants to exercise a most basic right).

We can carry into a K-12 school parking lot to pickup or let off children. It must be concealed and we cannot get out of the car while doing this.

We can carry into restaurants where alcohol is served for consumption on the premise, either openly or concealed. If concealed, we cannot imbibe but we can drink if it is open though most all of us consider that to be very bad form. BTW, Virginia has no bars.

And there are no statutes against carrying into banks, polling places (as long as they are not K-12 schools), or any other businesses. And no concerns about carrying open or concealed within 1000' of K-12 school property, as long as you have a CHP... even though U.S Code 18,922 makes no mention of this it has been interpreted as such.

And you don't even need a permit to conceal a handgun within secured locations in your car's cabin (secured does not mean locked).
thats because the feds are run by a bunch of liberals. if you are referring the recent sentencing to death, yes we do not give a sh*t what others want when you kill a Texan. funny how it was someone with a liberal agenda tried to ask for a stay. just trying to garner a vote.

texas may be interepreted as less leinent than VA but we require you go through the correct steps so that you can excercise your rights. (crappy we have to ask our servents for permission)we can also carry in restaurants where alcohol is served. just not in bars. its the 51% law. where51% of their business comes from alcohol sales. sucks that the commonwealth doesnt have bars. the voters can eventually change that, but i guess as a servent you learn to deal with it.

i would never open carry. thats like drawing a target on your back. im assuming anyone can open carry weather responsible or not in VA.

Quick Reply: Gun Safe in '06 TL