Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank fill question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas tank fill question

I have only filled my tank 3 or 4 times (car is new). I always fill it to full. When the pump shuts off, I have to stand there and sqeeze another 3 gallons in it. Is this normal? Kind of a pain. My last 3 fill-ups have been at different stations, so I dont think I got lame pumps at all 3 locations.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Instructor

For emission purposes, all vehicles have a certain amount of expansion volume built into the tank. If you keep squeezing more into the tank till you see gas in the filler neck, you have overfilled it and on a hot day, the gas will expand and run out all over the car, garage or wherever you are, an obvious dangerous situation. I have had this happen and it resulted in a car fire, not fun. Since your car is new, experiment with letting the tank go down as much as you are comfortable with and then see how much you put in. You may want to keep your lawn mower can in the trunk just in case but that brings on its own set of hazards.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Man of God.....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

It's all in "THE BOOK" Read it!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,152 Likes on 2,580 Posts
Do not fill it to the top of the neck, this affects the effective operation of the emissions fuel vapor recover system and can cause a check engine light. And as someone else pointed out can also cause a expansion and potential fire.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the car comes with instructions!!
Old 06-12-2008, 10:02 AM
NTMD8

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I fill my bike tank pretty close to the top...but then again its only 3 gallons.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Cruisin'

Hmm. I better do some reading. But I do like that fuel gauge on "F" as long as possible.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

A little off topic. The TL has a 17.1 gallon tank. Does anyone know if you stop at the first "click" when filling up, is the entire 17.1 gallon filled?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by apnorm
A little off topic. The TL has a 17.1 gallon tank. Does anyone know if you stop at the first "click" when filling up, is the entire 17.1 gallon filled?
You will never fill it with 17.1 gallons, for several reasons...

1.) Most fuel systems do not have the inlet pipe positioned in a way that it can suck up all the gas in the tank.

2.) The fuel pump is located in/top of the tank, so that when it doesn't have fuel on the inlet side, there is not going to be any positive pressure on the outlet side, so you will have fuel in the lines and injector rails still.

3.) You have a small amount of fuel in the vapor recovery system.

If you fill it up with 17.1 gallons, there are two things that you did.

1.) You filled up the tank up to the filler neck
2.) You are wasting your money, becuase many jurisdictions require fuel dispensers to have a vapor recovery system for emissions purposes. (Easy to tell cuz the nozzle will have a little plastic suction cup looking thingy that goes over the filler neck when you fill it up). If the nozzle is equipped with this, you are wasting money, because the dispenser clicks out gas, but the recovery system is sucking it back in the gas station's tank if you are over-filling your tank.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by avs007
You will never fill it with 17.1 gallons, for several reasons...

1.) Most fuel systems do not have the inlet pipe positioned in a way that it can suck up all the gas in the tank.

2.) The fuel pump is located in/top of the tank, so that when it doesn't have fuel on the inlet side, there is not going to be any positive pressure on the outlet side, so you will have fuel in the lines and injector rails still.

3.) You have a small amount of fuel in the vapor recovery system.

If you fill it up with 17.1 gallons, there are two things that you did.

1.) You filled up the tank up to the filler neck
2.) You are wasting your money, becuase many jurisdictions require fuel dispensers to have a vapor recovery system for emissions purposes. (Easy to tell cuz the nozzle will have a little plastic suction cup looking thingy that goes over the filler neck when you fill it up). If the nozzle is equipped with this, you are wasting money, because the dispenser clicks out gas, but the recovery system is sucking it back in the gas station's tank if you are over-filling your tank.
I always stop at the first click. Does anyone know or have an educated guess on how much gas would be in there?

I'm trying to figure out how far I could go on a tank of gas without running the thing dry for obvious reasons. The MID will display the miles to needle hits "empty" but there's a little reserve after that.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Drifting

I always stop at the first click. Does anyone know or have an educated guess on how much gas would be in there?

I'm trying to figure out how far I could go on a tank of gas without running the thing dry for obvious reasons. The MID will display the miles to needle hits "empty" but there's a little reserve after that.
That's why I wish the MID on the TL had a fuel consumed reading, like my other cars. On those cars, I have (albeit accidently) found out exactly how many gallons consumed the thing will read when the system runs dry.

However, even if you did find a way to determine this on the TL, I wouldn't recommend it, as most fuel pumps are submerged in the tank. If you run the tank too low, the fuel pump will overheat as it uses the fuel to cool itself (or atleast I heard). It's not a fire hazard or anything, but if you allow the pump to overheat, it can shorten its life. And fuel pumps aren't cheap.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
I haven't had to post this for a long time, so here it is again.

This info is excerpted from a very long thread I started about fuel tank capacities, etc. and is based on actual and precise testing.

a. When the low fuel warning light comes on, if you are getting 25 mpg you can go 94 miles, but if you are only getting 20 mpg, you can only go 74 miles. Of course, other miles per gallon figures will result in different results. This means you have approximately 3.7 gallons remaining.

b. When “miles to empty” (2004TL) or “range” (2005TL) reads zero, that is time to fill up, but you can still go 57 miles at 25mpg, but only 45 miles at 20mpg. This means you have approximately 2.3 gallons remaining.

c. When filling the tank, if you stop at the first shutoff, you will have about 17 gallons in the tank.

d. The tank will actually hold about 19 gallons, but it is not recommended to fill the tank to capacity, so stop at the first shutoff.

If you want to read the whole thread, click here. and if that's not enough information for you, here's another thread you can read.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ron A
I haven't had to post this for a long time, so here it is again.

This info is excerpted from a very long thread I started about fuel tank capacities, etc. and is based on actual and precise testing.

a. When the low fuel warning light comes on, if you are getting 25 mpg you can go 94 miles, but if you are only getting 20 mpg, you can only go 74 miles. Of course, other miles per gallon figures will result in different results. This means you have approximately 3.7 gallons remaining.

b. When “miles to empty” (2004TL) or “range” (2005TL) reads zero, that is time to fill up, but you can still go 57 miles at 25mpg, but only 45 miles at 20mpg. This means you have approximately 2.3 gallons remaining.

c. When filling the tank, if you stop at the first shutoff, you will have about 17 gallons in the tank.

d. The tank will actually hold about 19 gallons, but it is not recommended to fill the tank to capacity, so stop at the first shutoff.

If you want to read the whole thread, click here. and if that's not enough information for you, here's another thread you can read.
Give me a break. That thread said if they filled the gas tank up to the top of the filler neck, the pump read 19 gallons. That does NOT mean the tank holds 19 gallons. It looks like the other calculations were based on numbers the pump read when you filled the tank till it overflowed. That is retarded as you will have fuel in your vapor lines, fuel could've got sucked back into the vapor recovery system of the dispenser, etc.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LARS-TLS
Hmm. I better do some reading. But I do like that fuel gauge on "F" as long as possible.
I'm with you....as long as you drive a few miles after topping off, you will not have the expansion problem as mentioned above.

But don't overfill it then park it...it will be quite messy and dangerous
Old 06-12-2008, 03:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,152 Likes on 2,580 Posts
Pretty close. The one time I really ran my TL down to very empty (the low fuel light was on for over ~60-70 miles) I put ~17 gallons into the tank when the first click went off. The trigger for the fuel overflow valve on the station pumps are very sensitive and vary from pump to pump. Also the vehicle fuel tank design will also affect when the pump clicks off.

It's fairly common on Honda's and Acura's to have 1-2 gallons extra volume in the tank for the vehicle's fuel vapor recovery system.

I have filled my wife's 2003 Honda Pilot with 18 gallons (gas went to the very top, none spilled or was sucked back), and it's tank is only officially rated at 16 gallons. Although I avoid doing this since it's not good for fuel vapro emmisions.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:51 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts

I'll simplify Rona A's *correct* answer for you.

When the Low Fuel Warning comes on you will have ~4 gals gas remaining and the MID Range will be ~20 to 25 miles.

When the MID range says 0 Miles, you will have ~3 gals remaining and can travel ~60 to ~75 miles.

So, from the time the Low Fuel Warning comes on until you are bone dry should be ~80 to 100 miles.

If you refill between the time the light comes on (MID Range = ~20 to 25 miles) and when the MID says 0 miles Range, you will be able to put ~13.5 - 14.5 gals in the tank, stopping at the first pump cut off.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea i was gonna say.....1 time since ive actually filled up 16.8 gallons.....so yea u can fill up 17.1 but then u wouldnt get to the gas station so its pointless. lol