Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI hitch for TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI hitch for TL

I've read that some members are looking for a way to transport their bicycles in their TLs. I received an email from hitch-web.com this morning that a hitch has finally been designed and is for sale for $146.56 includes shipping. They indicated it is for a 05 TL but I think it will fit an 04 too. It is a 1 1/4" receiver so it won't stand out. I had a custom hitch installed a while back but it cost a lot more than this.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Beware that if holes need to be drilled into the frame rails or any drilling is required for installation your car can be classified as a frame damage unit and that will definetely affect trade in and sale value.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by consultauto
Beware that if holes need to be drilled into the frame rails or any drilling is required for installation your car can be classified as a frame damage unit and that will definetely affect trade in and sale value.

What's the authoritative source you're using to make that statement?
Old 01-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
wouldn't a roof rack be a better solution?, I couldn't stand having a hitch on my baby
Old 01-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by cTLgo
wouldn't a roof rack be a better solution?, I couldn't stand having a hitch on my baby

I wouldnt do it. Its just tacky.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Racer

ive got a custom, its not that noticable , although its a 2" reciever, they are more common then the smaller type...
Old 01-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cTLgo
Roof racks tend to be noisy and offer a good chance to scratch the paint when loading and unloading the bike. An 1 1/4" receiver is barely noticable since it is so small and located beneath the bumper.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:02 PM
[]( O)( O)% []D[][]V[][]D

Y would u wana tow with a TL....if it's for bikes...u can always get that thing that goes on the trunk
Old 01-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 04AcuraTL
Y would u wana tow with a TL....if it's for bikes...u can always get that thing that goes on the trunk

I agree...get another car like a Saturn to transport bikes....this car is made for luxury driving not for camping.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Racer

well i dont have the luxury of owning two cars, and second my parents old audi had a trunk rack that made two really nice dents on the trunk... a hitch bike rack is fine for my needs
Old 01-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Advanced

We had a hidden hitch installed on our 98 Accord. I still have the bike rack, since they didn't offer a hitch on the TL. Given the fact that the back seats don't fold, I'm not just sure how I'll transport my bike if I need to.

No way I'd put a trunk carrier on a TL. They ALL cause damage. And I can't imagine putting a roof rack on it either. It might look cool, but I'd fear damage to the roof or just to the car from the bikes.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Neorick
I agree...get another car like a Saturn to transport bikes....this car is made for luxury driving not for camping.
I don't camp but now I have a luxury car that can transport a bicycle. If the back seat folded down maybe there would be room enough in the trunk for a road bike.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Instructor

My full suspension bike fit into the truck of my 2k1 CL-S ( both wheels off, rear frame through trunk pass through ). So when I traded it in for the TL i figured that it would fit no problem ( yes I knew no fold down seats in the TL ). First time I need to transport my bike, it wouldn't fit. I've been putting it in the back seat, using a heavy packing blanket to protect the seats.

A hitch mounted carrier would be ideal. If you haven't had the pleasure of using a trunk or roof rack you don't understand the damage, hassle and issues related to these carriers.

A small, hidden hitch would be great for me. My weekends include mountain biking, golfing and tennis and many times I have equipment for all three at my disposal.

Please post pictures of the hitch if available.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:28 AM
'05 DGP/Parch 5AT Navi

My only problem with this hitch is that it requires that holes be drilled through the spare tire tray. I prefer my car to stay as virgin as possible. Hopefully someone will come out with a system that more easily integrates with the existing TL frame/chasis.

-phil
Old 01-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
What's the authoritative source you're using to make that statement?
I'm in the wholesale business and adhere to NAAA rules [national auto auction association]
Old 01-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZQQM
My full suspension bike fit into the truck of my 2k1 CL-S ( both wheels off, rear frame through trunk pass through ). So when I traded it in for the TL i figured that it would fit no problem ( yes I knew no fold down seats in the TL ). First time I need to transport my bike, it wouldn't fit. I've been putting it in the back seat, using a heavy packing blanket to protect the seats.

A hitch mounted carrier would be ideal. If you haven't had the pleasure of using a trunk or roof rack you don't understand the damage, hassle and issues related to these carriers.

A small, hidden hitch would be great for me. My weekends include mountain biking, golfing and tennis and many times I have equipment for all three at my disposal.

Please post pictures of the hitch if available.
I'll try to post a picture of my hitch as soon as I figure how to do this. I was in the same situation as you when I decided to go custom. There was no drilling involved, just weilding. The place I went to charged me $400 and it has worked wonderfully. I leave the bike rack on the hitch when I cycle and take it off when I get back home.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:00 PM
4th Gear

URL for picture of the hitch

I also received the email from hitch-web and talked to Greg at hitch-web on the phone about the hitch this morning. He says that 4 people have ordered the hitch so far and he's waiting for feedback from them on how well it fits. I've pasted the URL to the hitch picture on their site below. You'll notice a disclaimer that the hitch will sit below the bumper and Greg said that they have no idea how many inches it will be below the bumper.

http://www.hitch-web.com/proDescrip....e=370567&OID=8
Old 01-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Mile High

A hitch on a TL would look nasty. I once saw a hitch on a Boxter, I couldent stop laughing
Old 01-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
thats what an suv is for..... wouldnt put anything on me FUTURE baby
Old 01-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Racer

So with this hitch I would need to drill holes in my spare tire well to bolt this thing down?

I like to take my bike to the Cape and Maine for the weekend and there's no way I'm buying an SUV just for that. The roof and trunk racks trash your car over the long haul ho the hitch-mounted racks are the best, if you can get them.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by consultauto
I'm in the wholesale business and adhere to NAAA rules [national auto auction association]

That doesn't help me. What's the source? Can you quote me a rule or point me to where I can find this to be a fact?
Old 01-07-2005, 07:45 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewie
So with this hitch I would need to drill holes in my spare tire well to bolt this thing down?

I like to take my bike to the Cape and Maine for the weekend and there's no way I'm buying an SUV just for that. The roof and trunk racks trash your car over the long haul ho the hitch-mounted racks are the best, if you can get them.
I have not seen nor tried the TL hitch but can answer YES to your question. I have installed several hitches, both receiver and flat type on unibody (no independent frame) vehicles. The spare tire area of most unibody vehicles is fairly robust, reinforced, and/or part of the rigidity of the rear. You notice the TL has the tow hook on/to the rear of the spare tire tub/well. This "tow hook" is also the "single point" jacking area/point for the 04/05 TL.
Many hitches use this area as the second mounting point, the other being the bumper frame.
Looking at the instructions for the mentioned hitch, the TL tow hook area is the main weight bearing attachment point for the hitch (lack of bumper structure). The two required holes in the spare tire well/tub area are for the "forward" portion of the hitch. They aren't so much for weight bearing rather stability and "pulling" force distribution. By the looks of the design and how it bolts to the tow hook, you could probably adjust/manipulate were you tighten on the tow hook thus placing the receiver portion as snug to the bumper as possible. Definitely an easy DIY install.
Big picture, if you want/need a hitch on your TL, drilling holes and mounting the hitch to the spare tire tub/well is no big deal. Just ensure you seal the area sufficiently to avoid rust etc.. When it's time to sell just remove the hitch, place plugs in the holes and all is "well".

Smitty
Old 01-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Racer

Thanks Smitty.

Its not structural integrity I'm worried about because I'm just going to be holding 1 or 2 25-pound bikes plus the hitch.

It was more rusting and water in the spare tire well I was worried about.
I normally keep my cars for 6-7 years so I'm not worried about resale at this point.

I might wait through the spring and see if anything else comes up and if not I'll buy this things and find someone to install it.