Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time nailing it..

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
First time nailing it..

Well, I now have over 1500 miles on my 29 day old TL. I have gotten into to it a little in second, third, and fourth gears, but this morning, I decided to try a 1/2/3 run.

I turned off the VSA and at the light change got the clutch out and the R's past 2000 in first, then nailed it. The temperature was 72 degrees and the humidity was light to moderate. The tires slipped a little and the car pulled nicely up to my shift at 6000 RPM. Second came in strong as did third.

My overall impression is that the car could use more torque, but that would mean that the displacement would have to be increased by, say, 30 cubic inches. But for such a small engine, it pulled very well. Not as quick as my '02 Altima SE, but not bad at all. So all is good.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:32 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
6000-6900 RPMs is where the power is!!!! You need to take these cars to redline to really know how strong these cars are. Also, by going to the red, your going to catch the next gear in VTEC and hence in a stronger part of the rev band. Retry that and then tell me if the altima is quicker.......
Old 08-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't forget, Nissan uses dual overhead cam engines.....Honda is single.... Less parts, cheaper to build and fix according to Honda.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

To 2K2SilverTL-S;

Yes, I know all about shifting and staying in the power band when drag racing.. I did quite a bit of drag racing in my younger years. But at 1500 miles, I am still reluctant to take the engine all the way up or be needlessly hard on it. As for beating my Altima.. nope, I rather doubt it. She was putting out a bit more than the advertised 240 HP and 246 lb/ft of torque thanks to a Frankencar/Apexi intake, an Unorthodox racing UDP, and a full Mossy catback exhaust. Plus she was lighter and had a significantly lower final drive at 3.812. Let's put it this way. When I pulled the same thing in the Altima that I did this morning with my TL, the tires would break traction all the way through first gear.. even if I let up then got back into the throttle, they would light up again. Mind you, the TL is very nice and has a good power delivery for such a small engine. But it lacks some torque for serious acceleration. For normal, everyday driving though, it's near perfect because the engineers did a superb job tuning the engine and ECU for excellent throttle response under those conditions. And let's face it. Most all of the time, that's where and how we drive.. not with our right foot planted up against the firewall. So it works for me.

To gbriank;

Yep, I'm quite aware of the VQ35 engine's design.. I had the full 4-volume shop manual set which was not very good and was too expensive to boot. It also uses a timing chain instead of that silly timing belt that Honda just can't seem to get away from.

Gentlemen, this is not meant in any way to infer that I am disappointed with the performance of my TL. I am fully aware that it is not going to accelerate like an M3 or a CTS-V. That it is not going to corner like a Corvette. But if I wanted that, I would have bought one of those cars (I did give a bit of consideration for the CTS-V and still very much like that car). The TL offers a VERY good blend of performance sedan and entry-level luxury sedan. Maybe one of the best examples in this catagory. And it's fun to drive with the 6MT. I'm happy.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
To 2K2SilverTL-S;

When I pulled the same thing in the Altima that I did this morning with my TL, the tires would break traction all the way through first gear.. even if I let up then got back into the throttle, they would light up again.
I don't know anything about the Altima. Did it come with a limited slip diff? If not, that's why you could get the tires to spin through first gear and can't do it in the TL.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I wish I had a 6MT. Darn non-manual driving wife! Snif.....

Thanks for posting your experience, SouthernBoy.

I love your username, PbPedis! leadfoot, indeed, are we?
Old 08-15-2004, 07:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neuronbob

Thanks for posting your experience, SouthernBoy.

I love your username, PbPedis! leadfoot, indeed, are we?
Thanks. My fun car is a Z06, and it's most fun when you're driving it like you stole it!

BTW, sometimes having a spouse who can't drive manual is a reason to actually buy a manual! (My wife does drive manual though).
Old 08-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

To PbPedis;

No, the Altima SE had no limited slip differential. But that would not make any difference if both tires were on clean, smooth asphalt.. which they were. The engine was just putting out around 30 lb/ft more torque than the TL, plus the fact that that torque was getting mutiplied more through a lower final drive. Add in the fact that the car weighed less and you have it. I had a friend who had a very similar setup as mine, but with HotShot headers and downpipe (no cats, of course). He dynoed at 244 HP and 244 lb/ft torque to the drive wheels. Let me tell you, that SE was quick.

As I said, while I would like more power (as in torque), that is generally the case with me. I just like torque. But the TL is capable and with the manner in which it was tuned for street use, very satisfactory, indeed. A fun car and a pleasure to drive.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Acura aficionado

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Hey Bob,

I don't lust after the manual transmission. I have driven manuals for 30 years, and I don't miss it on the TL. (I haven't driven the TL manual.) But the torque steer is under control with the auto trans. And you never miss a shift! :blaze:

A more suitable transmisson for this car, imho.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:44 PM
VTEC is happiness

Hey Southernboy,

sounds like you had a very appropriate experience--the Altima stock is an excellent performner, and since you upgraded with the exhaust, etc., I am not surprised it felt quicker.

My 944 Turbo is quicker than my TL, BUT I have to hurt it to do so...the TL has effortless, smooth power that is really quite fun at the upper RPM. I agree with taking it easy (probably until after my first oil change, I now have 1300 miles on the TL), but after that I plan to enjoy my VTEC, as I am sure you will!
Old 08-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 2K2SilverTL-S
6000-6900 RPMs is where the power is!!!! You need to take these cars to redline to really know how strong these cars are. Also, by going to the red, your going to catch the next gear in VTEC and hence in a stronger part of the rev band. Retry that and then tell me if the altima is quicker.......
I'm not sure where the post is, but someone had a dyno sheet showing that the optimal shift on the TL was about 6200 RPM.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:39 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
The optimum shift for a VTEC motor is NEVER before redline!!
Old 08-16-2004, 02:43 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Just a note, I'll smoke any altima left and right. What a POS. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by J RIDE 81
Just a note, I'll smoke any altima left and right. What a POS. Thanks.
I love blanket statements like this.

I'll smoke any IS300 too, regardless of state of tune.

Back to the topic...the only thing I would change on the TL power delivery, is perhaps a smidge more torque down low. As others have noted though, it is downright intoxicating at higher rpms.

SouthernBoy thanks for the review...
Old 08-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Well if J_RIDE_81's TL can turn mid 13's, my hat's off to him, 'cause I know of a few Altima SE's that'll do just that.

Seriously, my post was not at all about entering into a pissing contest with anyone. Actually a revisit seems to indicate that I am quite fond of the car. But since gearheads are never completely satisfied.. well I would like a little more torque.

Hey Bonedoc;

This really is one sweet machine, though. I have to say, the more I drive it the more I like it. We'll always wish for something else, this or that, but the TL is pretty darned good the way it comes. I don't plan to do any mods with it.. will most likely keep it just the way it is. I really do like the throttle response. Constantly makes me wonder how the heck they managed that out of a normally aspired 196 cubic inch engine.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:37 PM
VTEC is happiness

Hey Southernboy,

yeah, the throttle response is really quite impressive, I just ran to redline in 2nd gear and it pulls remarkably well. Gotta watch my license around town.