Sponsored by:

first Day driving my new TL...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 11:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first Day driving my new TL...

Things i've noticed about the car:

1. is that Honda/Acura engines are definitely lacking in the low end torque curve... my prelude was soooooooo bad on the low end. Even my 96 Avalon with 200 hp seems better in the low end. However picks up very well in the high end... especially with VTEC, although i only have 50 miles on it. =) its still a baby.

2. I dented the silver part of the center counsole with the seat belt buckle! SOOOO mad... that silver material is like clay!

3. I'm sooooo happy i didnt end up with the silver... this anthracite color is just... makes me speechless

4. There are so many voice commands that i just end up pushing the buttons. And how many of your voice commands are actually understood by your car? Does it get better recognizing your voice as time passes?

5. What leather cleaner do u recommend? The leather looks like it'll just crinkle up after a month of normal use.

6. Do any of you feel like the interior is way to beautiful and perfect to let anyone sit in it? I asked my girlfriend to hop in.....the trunk! lol

God's Speed

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04 TL Anthracite/Ebony 5AT w/ navi + pro pack
Old 03-28-2004, 12:31 AM
Banned

Glad to have you aboard.

Old 03-28-2004, 12:47 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happy Driving EulisCool

Old 03-28-2004, 02:08 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: first Day driving my new TL...

Originally posted by EulisCool
4. There are so many voice commands that i just end up pushing the buttons. And how many of your voice commands are actually understood by your car? Does it get better recognizing your voice as time passes?
Spend some time with the Navi owner's manual ... the voice commands are in the back. You need to learn how to command properly For example, most (but not all) radio commands start with the word "Radio". Try saying Radio-Select-FM-1 to select FM1 (your first 6 FM channel presets). If it recognizes this OK, you should be in pretty good shape.

You can also try using the "Help" feature of the system to learn the proper commands. You need to repeat the commands as spoken to you by the system to get the best recognition.

The car does not get better at recognizing your voice, but you will still see much better voice recognition as time passes. Why? Because you will get "trained" better.

I'm seeing better than 95% recognition now, and the times that I have a "miss" are usually my fault.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It took me about 3 weeks get the voice commands to work flawlessly. Just keep playing the help back for each category and you will remember fairly quickly. I agree with the last comment and once you are trained - no more buttons for the basic functions.

One feature I use all the time is saying the radio station. Instead of selecting AM or FM just say "98.1" or "1150". It will confirm the number and which band its on, or "play track 18" if you want something on the same disc but don't want to bother with the wheel controls.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:57 AM
Safety Car

the car has 238lbs of torque for 270hp engine. which is fairly decent for a honda engine. the torque is mostly in the higher rpm range which is typical of these vtec engines. i dunno if you have gotten the chance to open up the throttle but it does pull pretty hard when its floored. remember this is not a sports car, its still a 4 door sedan. but the performance on this car is pretty amazing for a 3500lb machine. if you are expecting the car to drive as fast as a M3 then you set your hopes too high. as for the voice commands there are alot but you just have to be patient. some commands are used alot and you will eventually memorize them. if you are ever unsure of the command just say "help" and it will list the commands for the current screen you are on. i use to use Lexol to clean and condition the leather but didn't want to have to use a cleaner then another conditioner. so i switched to meguiar's gold class cleaner/conditioner. it softened the leather a but especially around my left leg. there was some wear forming from clutching. also get the spray bottle for the leather conditioner. the pores in the leather trap the paste type. yeah sometimes i feel like i don't want anyone in my car cause they won't appreciate it as much as i do and will be careless in my perfect interior.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:07 AM
Instructor

Looking at the rough hp/torque graph in the TL brochure you will see that there is 190#/ft of torque even at 1000 rpm, more than a lot of cars have anywhere in their rev range. At 1500 rpm in any of the lower (1 to 4) gears with WOT this car steps out. I would not describe it as being lacking in low end torque, unless comparing it with a 5.0 litre Mustang or something.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:22 AM
Pro

This car has plenty of torque for the kind of car it is... more so than many others in its class.

If you wanted throw you in the backseat torque you should have gone with Mustang or Firebird.... mine had 325 ft lbs and you felt it. However, the qtr mile time for this car is almost the same or better

As for the interior, my brother-in-law said he felt sorry for the first person to put a stain etc on my baby!! I am not that anal..... well ???
Old 03-28-2004, 07:59 AM
Pro

I'm wondering if you are not used to the throttle by wire yet. That maybe what you're interpreting as not much torque. Even Road and Track's recent review was very positive about the amount of torque the TL has.
The silver trim is real aluminum and as a result acts like real aluminum and is soft.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: first Day driving my new TL...

Originally posted by EulisCool
6. Do any of you feel like the interior is way to beautiful and perfect to let anyone sit in it? I asked my girlfriend to hop in.....the trunk! lol
:lol1: I bet that one won't get you any for a while....lol.