3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The first 2005 Acura TL “Gimp-Mobile”?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 06:19 PM
KnumbNutz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool The first 2005 Acura TL “Gimp-Mobile”?

The first 2005 Acura TL “Gimp-Mobile”?
Is this the FIRST of its kind?
I haven’t seen or heard of one, so maybe it is!
Ps; Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

For the record, the Acura is indeed a very “Gimp-Friendly” vehicle and we can all be proud of that!

I got tired and bored to tears of driving the standard “Gimp-issue” Mod-Vans or the plain-jane albatross sedans… Isnt there Life beyond a Ford??? My last ride, a BMW M-3 convertible, was fun – yes indeed! But practical? Specially for those of us relying on wheelchairs rather than legs, HELL NO!

I didn’t see why I would have to sacrifice sports-car performance, sleek and exotic styling or luxurious comfort just because my situation and mandatory gear doesn’t easily fit into or adapt to most cars of that genre, which btw, aren’t exactly synonymous with being “practical”.

Then, I discovered the Acura TL… It was Love at first sight!

I’m sure that for most people here the focus is probably more on some of the other many virtues of this great car, so maybe I can share a different perspective – from a more "challenged" point of view;

First, there is nothing worse or more frustrating than trying to disassemble a wheelchair when the doors don’t open ALL the way and the drivers seat is so high up you can easily fall right smack on your face when leaning forward – and Ive done that in other cars!
*Keep in mind, most gimpsters like me don’t have the physical center balance to lean forward, we cant use our legs as a counter-support.

The TL’s doors open SO nice and wide and the way I have the seat, its way down low so I don’t have the risk of entering into a “close-encounters” type of relationship with the dam asphalt – something that doesn’t do much for one’s self-esteem when that happens in a busy parking lot. Maybe now some of you will understand why the disabled parking spaces are so wide….

Spacious interior room.
After successful disassembly of the chair, how to get it INTO the car and WHERE to put it? Seat spacing, headroom, legroom, back seat room, drivers seat adjustments and steering wheel positioning are all crucial factors. I have to be able to PULL the frame of my chair ACROSS my body, while in the drivers seat, and decide whether to put it on the passenger seat, or swing it around THROUGH the seats and drop it onto the back seat – either way, not something easily accomplished.

In the TL, with the generous seat and steering wheel adjustments I have no problems pulling the frame across me and setting it either onto the passenger seat or given its spacious seat spacing, sliding it through to the back seat without smashing the sunroof in the process… Having succeeded in step one, now onto the wheels, another tedious endeavor to say the least. Each wheel has to be pulled across the same way and put either in the front somewhere or in the back, dropped behind the front seat. Even though the TL has a really comfy armrest, theres still sufficient headroom to clear the armrest and headliner with a standard issue 26” wheel, very cool. People always ask me why there are “skid marks” on my headliner, well now you know, Ive divulged the secret!

Some people continually ask if I burst into tears afte going thru all that only to realize that I forgot something in the house and have to get out again… Ok, yes I do! Not to mention, I find ways to spend more time IN the car rather than getting in/out, for obvious reasons, and I choose/limit my destinations accordingly. For me, the “Drive-thru’s” are my friend, if not a blessing and I can name every one in town, guaranteed!

When I got my new TL, it actually sat in my garage for over 2 months. Everyone drove it, except ME! In the afternoon I would go out on the porch and just sit there with a cup of coffee, admiring it - parked there. It wasn’t easy to get the hardware to make this beautiful car driveable (by me that is) – and then, finding someone with the skill and experience to install it.

I must extend my respect, admiration and certainly gratitude to Matt, of Mobility Concepts in Asheville, for his amazing skill, experience and relentless persistence to get this done, keeping in mind, without causing extensive damage to the car in the process. This type of install had never been done on an Acura TL, at least not around here anyway. I insisted on minimal damage to the dash, steering and underneath – specially considering this is a lease vehicle.

The install took almost 4 hours to complete. The result: one of the cleanest, least obtrusive and professional installs Ive ever seen. The steering column and adjustments were not comprised, using an off-center hardware position. Matt had to hammer, bend, solder and work miracles to get the hardware to comply to the shape of the dash/steering, rather than the other way around, and yet remain safe and functional at the same time. He even broke a heavy duty vice grip and several tools in the process.

Here are some pics;
First, as it was originally. (btw) I got this car right off the dealers showroom floor, an experience I think should be bestowed on everyone by law. At least now I can actually drive and enjoy it! Don’t let the hardware fool you into a false sense of old-fart slowness. This rig is set for full-throttle at less than ½ a turn and I certainly drive like Mario Andretti, not Granpa!

Actually, I don’t think VW should be able to monopolize the expression “Fahrt-vergnugen” because the TL is all that – and more!
Cheers and continued pleasure to everyone with their TL!

Old 10-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that is absolutely amazing....im glad that the TL is so suitable for your situation

congratz to you man!

enjoy the TL! its an amazing car
Old 10-30-2005, 07:02 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Welcome aboard. Nice read, glad the TL works for you.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Racer

Old 10-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Racer

Great to hear , enjoy
Old 10-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Very interesting thread - glad things worked out!
Old 10-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
This is the first review of its kind on this site. It certainly shows another aspect of the TL that as someone who has full use of his legs, I wouldn't have otherwise considered. WELCOME to the board and thank you so much for your input.

I only feel sorry that you had to watch your TL for two months instead of driving it. . I know that would've killed me.

I'm glad you're able to enjoy it now.

I take it, you required similar mods for your M3? And how did they compare to what you had done to your TL?
Old 10-30-2005, 10:08 PM
KnumbNutz

Hey thanks guys!
Your support, nice comments and enthusiasm mean a lot to me, very much appreciated!

I did forget to mention one little thing though;
When looking at the gas pedal you might notice a weird contraption attached to it... well, that wasnt Matt's handiwork … it was mine!

The TL's gas pedal has a significant recess compared to the height of the brake pedal and that atrocity attached to the pedal is my idea of a “pedal-extension/height leveler”.

Yea, I been bad!
:surrender
Necessity is the mamacita of all inventions! Before I had the controls installed, I was itching to drive my car so bad that my bold and daring side compelled me to devise that prototype pedal extension. With both pedals of even height, I had a crutch with a rubber tip that I used to work the pedals while driving. Not a bad idea, theoretically anyway, it just takes some time getting used to where the pedals are and hitting them just right without having to peek. The problem being, its not easy to do when you’re in traffic. Despite the utmost caution and distance, after missing that dam brake pedal a few times and nearly bumping into someone from behind, I decided to hang up the crutch and hold out til the controls are installed… probably a wise choice, there are enough lunatics and incompetents out there driving around;
Old 10-30-2005, 10:37 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
welcome and good review
Old 10-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
rmpage has the same setup in his TSX. It's remarkable that such a fantastic car can be altered so that everyone can drive it. Congrats on the new TL!! You'll love it!!!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18859
Old 10-31-2005, 05:15 AM
Senior Moderator

I plan to place this thread in the 3G Garage later today, if I get time and if the other mods don't do it first.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:15 AM
Senior Moderator

I plan to place this thread in the 3G Garage later today, if I get time and if the other mods don't do it first. This is one of those few times when I wish we still had rep points.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:44 AM
KnumbNutz

WOW! YAY!

I didn’t even know there was another Gimpmeister here in these forums, that is just so awesome! I sent Rmpage a pm and asked him to check out this forum/post.

I read all his posts and checked out the pics, sweet setup indeed. I used to have those kind of controls in my former M3 - which answers my Buddy NeuronBob’s last question. Not to be a party pooper here, but quite frankly, that setup totally sucked and cost 2x as much to do in the M3.

Reason being, on a dual Push/Pull setup, specially when there is limited room because legs do tend to get in the way, imagine having to pull that lever DOWN towards your knee for gas, and then forward (in) to hit the brakes. It becomes akward and tiring after a while –and when your in traffic, heaven forbid. Its just not the most practical setup and places a lot of burden on the driver. Oh, and lets not overlook what can (and DOES) happens in a sudden situation – your can easily forget to push IN while still holding down the gas and you end up with an over-revved skid mark, yikes!!!

The system I have in the TL is a newer version, single Push-In for brakes and a motorcycle style throttle body for the gas, with a really cool small secondary assist lever (if you can see it there) that enables one to use the thumb/palm to engage/hold it. You can see where the throttle cable runs down to the pedal and because of the system the Acura uses, makes hooking it up in a pull-action easy. Of course, all of this is very nicely complimented by the steering-wheel mounted TL cruise control that makes driving a breeze!

This is what I meant when I said I have it set up for full-throttle at only ½ turn. I just get such a (orgasmic?) rush and enormous pleasure from blowing away all the wanna-be hot-rodders around here in they’re nosiy little rice burners – not to mention the ‘Stangers who still think a pony is all that! No offense, of course. After I’ve thoroughly humilliated them on the strip with a big 4-door sedan, we park somewhere and Ive become the ‘Old guy in the hot TL” who embarrassed them, worthy of their admiration and respect, and when they see my hand controls and chair, even more so!

Oddly enough, it seems this TL is also quite the ‘chick-magnet’. I’ve never had so many gorgeous girls (AND mature women) drool over me and my ride and dropping their Ph #’s on me (not even when I was in my 20’s with my first GTO convertible), or maybe its just my charismatic and charming personality?

Does Life get any better?

Old 10-31-2005, 09:13 AM
Advanced

congrats!
Old 10-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sclass88
rmpage has the same setup in his TSX. It's remarkable that such a fantastic car can be altered so that everyone can drive it. Congrats on the new TL!! You'll love it!!!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18859
Hey, thanks dude.

Nice review, Graffxman! My controls are slightly different than yours, with a twist to the floor hitting the gas and a push forward for the brakes, but they're easy to use.

How do you like the DBW throttle? For me, that's one of the best things about the TSX...an electronic throttle body eliminates the binding and slack issues inherent in a mechanical linkage. The car I learned how to drive-with-hands on was a dilapidated Monte Carlo from the mid-1990s that the VA kept around to school vets on driving with. Needless to say, the throttle linkage on that thing was a royal bitch to work with, because you'd crank down hard just to crack the plate, but then when you did it would surge to WOT and chirp the tires. Very annoying and difficult to control properly. DBW has none of these drawbacks.

By the way, I took my TSX on a 6 hour road trip to a rugby tournament this past weekend with another one of my quad buddies riding shotgun. He couldn't believe I had such a hooked-up car that stayed so clean. Most gimpmobiles are tore-up inside from the owner's wheelchair scuffing everything in sight each time they ingress or egress. I manage to keep mine relatively scuff- and gouge-free.

Good luck with the TL, those are some sweet cars. I would've got one myself but I've got a chubby for the K series engines and the TSX has a slightly sportier look and feel to it.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Advanced

I'm glad - but not surprised - to hear you really enjoy the car. My '05 TL has adaptive equipment that adds a second steering device to the floor of the car. I have used such a device for many years because I can't use my arms for steering at all. They also added a low-effort steering assist plus back-up because the steering disk is only 10" across and requires a bit more effort than hands-on-wheel. For thread & picture search "foot-steering" as keyword.

BTW, Acura offers a mobililty program reimbursement of up to $1,000 rebate if you equip the car with adaptive equipment as the link below shows.

http://www.acura.com/about/abo_mob_index.asp
Old 10-31-2005, 07:03 PM
KnumbNutz

Re: NimbleLooper;
Wow man! Foot-steering? That definitely HAS to be the ultimate driving machine (sorry bmw)! No doubt about it, if there’s a will, there’s a way. Awesome rig amigo!

Now that I found out about the Acura adaptive-mobility program, my next adventure will be going back to the dealer to get dialed in. Interesting they didn’t mention it when I was considering getting the car…

Re: rmpage;
I was actually thinking about you today while I was out driving around.
I’ve tweaked my rig (adjusts) to the point where it’s sweet and tight, just under the wheel and close. I sit way back and sometimes get tired having to push so far towards the dash, now its just right..

Speaking of getting tore up, I hear ya. Sometimes it just seems to be unavoidable after getting in/out of the car over time. Considering my ride is still new, so far Ive managed to keep it clean and scuff free, but I know that will change in due time. Actually, I found that most of the time it’s the Abe’s who do the most damage to my car when trying to help get the gear in and out for me – specially when its going in the trunk and I cant see whats going on back there, God Bless Them!

Finally, I must agree, the TSX certainly warrants a "chubby" - and then some!

BTW, whats a chubby?

Old 10-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Advanced

When I asked my salesman if Acura offers a mobililty program such as $1,000 rebate if you equip the car with adaptive equipment like Toyota, Ford, Chrysler and others, he flat out told me no. What a jerk! He didn't even offer to check on it. They do of course as the link below shows.

http://www.acura.com/about/abo_mob_index.asp

Send in the application from the website with all required documentation. Mine has been approved and check is on the way.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Graffxman I must say that is an impressive install and Im very happy you are able to enjoy the TL. Thanks for being here.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:02 AM
KnumbNutz

Thanks Trance!
I enjoy being here!
"It's not just a Forum, it's an adventure!"

Now that I've got the 'drive-ability' part out of the way....
What's next???
Mods? Where do I begin, A/V Navi-convert, Suspension? Engine? Body?
So many choices, so little time!
- Or should I say, "What's in MY wallet?"

Thanks again buddy!

Old 11-01-2005, 08:47 AM
I'm Baaack!

Nice work .. I think your next mod should be wheels ... dubs for the TL matching 26's for your other ride ....

In all seriousness, glad to hear that you are able to enjoy this ride like the rest of us! Thanks for sharing pics of the rig!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Advanced

Graffxman,

Thanks for the awe-inspiring description of how you get in the car and manage the frame and wheels. It takes both physical strength and clever thinking.

Looks and sounds like the installers really know their stuff. Oh, you may be the "Old guy in the hot TL” but I'm the "Even older guy in the hot TL”.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Graffxman
"What's in MY wallet?"

That is the question I ask myself everyday......lol!!
Old 11-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking "Sometimes you just need to get their attention..."

....my favorite line from "SCROOGED".

This thread is inspirational. I think it should be required reading for new members. And remedial reading when we get caught up over a rock chip or window rattle.

Graffx,

Welcome and thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to many more of your posts.

Now, have you considered an ASPEC setup on the wheelchair yet?
Old 11-01-2005, 03:59 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story! This should definately be put in the 3G Garage section.....you guys are too cool man! That is totally cool as hell that you can get it all worked out like you have and that the technology is now there for all "Handi's" (hey now....cut me some slack man.....you called me Abe! And I do mean all in fun!) But this is too cool! I am sure you will bring many more challenged people to this type of car as they see how sucessful you have been with it and how cool a car it is. Truely, thank you for sharing your experiences in this forum! I tend to agree with TampaMike.....puts things in perspective! And Welcome to the TL Team!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Automobile Aficionado

this is a great story, thanks for posting.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:30 PM
KnumbNutz

Hey thanks guys, you’re all great!
Its so nice being able to talk with people who are so friendly, supportive and share common interests.

I realize that maybe I need to get out there, maybe this weekend and do some serious photography… a video maybe?

Btw, does anyone like that avatar I created? Does anyone know if Acura’s float?

Speaking of wheels, Brewmaster…
And speaking of “whats in your wallet”, Trance…
Sometimes I have to ponder and balance the value of how far to go with Mods on this car, because it is a Lease and 4 yrs from now all the money I spend on it – gone, I wont get a dime back or have any equity to barter or sell… Hmmmm; On previous occasions (having mostly leased all my vehicles, mainly for tax reasons) Ive even been penalized for doing mods to a lease car… Is it worth the thousands $$$ to do them?

My TL came with (not that I didn’t somehow pay for them in a confusing and fanangled lease terminolgy kinda way) very nice 18” matching Acura wheels and nice tires… To spend $1500 or more on even nicer wheels, what would I do with these? Put them back on when I turn it in, and give them back new wheels and tires? Then what would I do with the wheels I bought….? See where this is going? It’s a tough decision, specially when most of the time there’s “Nothing” in my wallet…

On the other hand though…. As TampaMike commented, the ASPEC setup on my wheelchair… That’s a different story! I have to rely on and live with that chair, the money I spend is almost an absolute necessity – I can get around without a car, but not without a chair. In fact, I just got a new one too, how about $3,500+ for a Quickie GP III ultra lite-weight Titanium custom Mod? Now there’s something most of my (Abe’s and Gimpster friends alike) drool over - more so than 20” chrome RJ wheels on my TL…

Decisions, decisions…
I guess it all comes down to one’s reality… and the bottom line: “Whats in your wallet”.

I’ll have to give some serious consideration (specially wallet wise) as to what mods I might do next…
In the meantime, I just figured out how to make Audio DVD’s for my TL, you can see my posts under the audio subforum… Now I’ve got hours and hours of my fav music to listen while I drive around pondering these important mod decisions….
Btw, no offense, but XM really suks in terms of programming… and for how much a month? NOT! Blank DVD’s cost me 0.30 cents and I can record my own music, so cool aint it!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Racer

Talking

Hey thanks guys, you’re all great!
Its so nice being able to talk with people who are so friendly, supportive and share common interests.
Give us time! You know you are REALLY accepted when you are engaged in an ACURAZINE full fledged slug fest!

It sounds like your TL has already come with some upgrades (standard form stock wheels are 17s). If the car is leased, it is usually best to return it with the same equipment, so I would hang onto them should you decide to swap them for something else. Some people like to keep stock, some people mod the heck outta it immediately. Yet others make mods in stages. Gotta do what is best for you Graffx...

But are ANY of those options bad? The car is a winner, so is the driver. It will be fun to see what you choose to do,,,kinda like being along for the ride.

Now given the enthusiam you clearly have not only about our TLs but for life in general, I would be afraid to know what is REALLY in your wallet!

Cheers.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:26 AM
KnumbNutz

Slug fest? Sounds exciting! Where do I sign up?

Well yes Tampa, I have to admit I felt it was my civic duty as an American to negotiate as hard and for as long as necessary to get the best deal I could get away with – or walk (well, roll in my case…). I had a huge lunch that unfortunately almost put me in a carbo-coma, but went to the dealer anyway, on a mission, prepared like a soldier and armed to the hilt with every piece of 411, determined to get exactly what I wanted at a ridiculous price, intent on sleeping over and hammer it out for days on end if necessary.

Dam it! The entire battle I had so prepared for lasted less than 60 mins, I felt so deprived!
At least in the end I was able to snag the 18” Acura wheels w/some nice Z-rated treads, the total ground effects package, rear trunk spoiler and various other accessories as part of the closing deal. Since then I’ve only dropped in some mats and had the windows tinted, as a courtesy to my frisky lady friends (sorry dude, cant elaborate, you’re gonna have to keep wondering about that one);

Other than that I havent decided yet which way to go on any further mods;
Styling choices would include wheels of course; Performance would certainly run the gamut from lowered suspension to power enhancements, not sure what that would do to my warranty and lease terms though. A Navi-to-DVD conversion or maybe a whole new independent setup would be nice, but then again, Im already dangerous enough and don’t need any more distractions while Im driving…

I suppose that my generally enthusiastic demeanor is due to the fact that I just never learned how to give up, or give in for that matter. As far as my wallet goes and whats REALLY in it? Well gee, I must say that food stamps have a peculiar, almost symphonic echo about them, unlike real currency, and I think the dealer was kinda impressed with them too….
Old 11-02-2005, 02:10 PM
KnumbNutz

Well TampaMike, I see what you mean about "slug-fest"

I think I just started one in another thread!

Whats the World coming to...
Old 11-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Racer

Talking

WHAT!? Where? What I miss!!!???

Well TampaMike, I see what you mean about "slug-fest"

I think I just started one in another thread!

Whats the World coming to...
Old 11-02-2005, 04:22 PM
"Joe Cool"

Congrats on the ride and welcome to the family.

Your Avatar is the too Cool!
Old 11-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Love to see how we can overcome peoples disabilities, races etc and share a common interest.

Welcome and enjoy!
Old 11-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 1sweetTL
Congrats on the ride and welcome to the family.

Your Avatar is the too Cool!
Yep, it reminds me of the Bond flick where the car becomes a sub. I think it was a Lotus.

I say we campaign to get the new Bond into a TL. Talk about fodder for mod discussions!