Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended 7 year/100,000 mile warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended 7 year/100,000 mile warranty

Im new to these forums and to acura and also to a new car. I rencently got a 2006 Acura TL A-Spec less than 3 weeks ago with the extended 7 year warranty. My simple questions were will the warranty be void if I install 2 aftermarket amps and subs int the car? My second question was will anything be void if I put some 20 inch rims and my TL? The dealer wont give me a simple clear answer so that is why i came here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Acura, by law, cannot void your warranty with the mods you are suggesting, unless they can be proven to cause a problem you are currently having with the car. Here's a post with more info on the Magnuson-Moss Law.

Congrats on the car, welcome to the forum, and go do your mods!

Old 08-02-2006, 10:15 PM
I've been Canonized ;)

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
So...can that extended warranty be had if you still are under your original?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Magnuson-Moss does not cover many 3rd party extended warranties, so especially when it comes to maintenance, if you have such a warranty, consider yourself forewarned.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:01 AM
RIP 06 TL

GuJuLuNaTiC1 I have the same ?'s as you but one other as well. I have an 06 NBP with 2k miles on it right now. At the time of the purchase I opted not to add in the ext. warranty because I wanted to think about it, so he gave me a price of 1100 to purchase it within 6k miles. What is everyone's opinion on purchasing the 7yr, 100k mile ext. warranty....Is it worth it, will my near future mods, like GuJuLuNaTiC1's (20's a drop, and some sounds) void my warranty anyway?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but theres no sense in starting a new one for the same ?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by b827
GuJuLuNaTiC1 I have the same ?'s as you but one other as well. I have an 06 NBP with 2k miles on it right now. At the time of the purchase I opted not to add in the ext. warranty because I wanted to think about it, so he gave me a price of 1100 to purchase it within 6k miles. What is everyone's opinion on purchasing the 7yr, 100k mile ext. warranty....Is it worth it, will my near future mods, like GuJuLuNaTiC1's (20's a drop, and some sounds) void my warranty anyway?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but theres no sense in starting a new one for the same ?
$1100 is not a bad price for the 7/100 warranty from a dealer. Others are quoted much more. You could also buy it from Hondacuraworld, one of our vendors, who offers the same (with 0 deductible) for $1065.

As far as whether it's worth it to buy an extended warranty, I think it is in the following situations: a) the first model year of a new design and b) you drive a hell of a lot, such that your warranty is gone quickly. I fit both criteria and so recently purchased an Acuracare extended warranty. If your car is leased or you don't drive a lot, then why bother paying for the extended warranty? My

Again, your mods will not void your warranty. The M-M law does not directly address extended warranties, it addresses "warranties" as a group. Read the law. Even so, read the fine print of any extended warranty to determine its stance on aftermarket parts.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Instructor

First off you guys are pretty damn lucky for getting ur extended warranty for less then 2k. I got the warranty the same day i bought the car and payed 2400. I think they ripped me off on that because i got such a great deal on the car. I got a brand new 2006 Anthracite/ebony Acura TL A-Spec for 36k otw. Well recently i went and asked the dealer about installing subs and rims. His response was that if i add some subs then anything i cut into will be voided which means everything that is connected to the head unit and also the fuse box for the remote wire. If i add some 20's then all my suspension warranty will be voided because it will create more stress on the suspension. Is this guy crazy or am i juz thinking wrong?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:15 PM
RIP 06 TL

Originally Posted by neuronbob
$1100 is not a bad price for the 7/100 warranty from a dealer. Others are quoted much more. You could also buy it from Hondacuraworld, one of our vendors, who offers the same (with 0 deductible) for $1065.

As far as whether it's worth it to buy an extended warranty, I think it is in the following situations: a) the first model year of a new design and b) you drive a hell of a lot, such that your warranty is gone quickly. I fit both criteria and so recently purchased an Acuracare extended warranty. If your car is leased or you don't drive a lot, then why bother paying for the extended warranty? My

Again, your mods will not void your warranty. The M-M law does not directly address extended warranties, it addresses "warranties" as a group. Read the law. Even so, read the fine print of any extended warranty to determine its stance on aftermarket parts.
Thanks for the reply. I drive probably 25k a year... I am planning to keep this car for a while so I think it will be worth it. I just need to go down there and buy it now. As for the aftermarket warranties, the one purchased from the dealership is not an aftermarket is it? I was under the impression that it was just an extension of the factory warranty.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:46 PM
TLove

36k OTD for an A-spec seems really good to me. what was the exact price break down? (price, dealer fees, taxes, etc?)
Old 08-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GuJuLuNaTiC1
First off you guys are pretty damn lucky for getting ur extended warranty for less then 2k. I got the warranty the same day i bought the car and payed 2400. I think they ripped me off on that because i got such a great deal on the car. I got a brand new 2006 Anthracite/ebony Acura TL A-Spec for 36k otw. Well recently i went and asked the dealer about installing subs and rims. His response was that if i add some subs then anything i cut into will be voided which means everything that is connected to the head unit and also the fuse box for the remote wire. If i add some 20's then all my suspension warranty will be voided because it will create more stress on the suspension. Is this guy crazy or am i juz thinking wrong?
The dealer is WRONG. He/she is bullshitting you both with the sound system and the suspension. As I say in my post above, "read the law". If you cannot make the dealer see reason (and from your experience, it sounds like you can't), walk away IMMEDIATELY and find an independent shop, or another dealer, to help you.

The other reason to walk away is because they ripped you on the extended warranty. I think $2400 is among the highest I've heard of. Can you get a refund on that part of your deal? I say that even though $36k OTD is a good deal on an A-Spec.

b8, most Acura dealers sell the Acuracare extended warranty, which is a true extension of your Acura 4/50 warranty. Some dealers sell other brands as well, so if you want the Acura warranty, make sure that's what you're paying for.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:06 PM
RIP 06 TL

b8, most Acura dealers sell the Acuracare extended warranty, which is a true extension of your Acura 4/50 warranty. Some dealers sell other brands as well, so if you want the Acura warranty, make sure that's what you're paying for.

I don't know what I want, I guess thats what I'm asking.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got my 7year 100,000 for $1500 at time of purchase.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by b827
I don't know what I want, I guess thats what I'm asking.
Most people here buy the Acuracare warranty, as I did, simply because it's a direct continuance of the 4/50 Acura warranty. It seems to cover the most. You have to be careful with the aftermarket warranties as they may not cover the navigational system--really expensive to repair.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Racer

Hey neuronbob I bought my 2006 TL in MAy with 4/50 warranty. Can I some how get the Acuracare warranty now or is that out of the question? TIA.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

WOW; 13 posts and no one is getting this right.

7/100k warranty is not really 7/100k. Yes, they will cover your car for that length of time but an 06 comes with a 4/50 limited full coverage and 5/60 powertrain warranty. So you are really paying for a 2/40k if your motor or tranny fails, or 3/50k if your seat motor or power window fails.

Why do so many people fall for this crap.
When a dealer offers me this warranty its the first step to them losing a deal with me if they persist.

The finance person offer and I said NO. Case closed. Had he persist, I would have walked.

Most people are moving on to another car around the 50k mark; so an extended warranty is a waste.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:40 PM
TLove

Originally Posted by DeMAN

7/100k warranty is not really 7/100k. Yes, they will cover your car for that length of time but an 06 comes with a 4/50 limited full coverage and 5/60 powertrain warranty. So you are really paying for a 2/40k if your motor or tranny fails, or 3/50k if your seat motor or power window fails.

When a dealer offers me this warranty its the first step to them losing a deal with me if they persist.

The finance person offer and I said NO. Case closed. Had he persist, I would have walked.

Most people are moving on to another car around the 50k mark; so an extended warranty is a waste.
how is that falling for anything? ppl obviously understand that the car already has a standard warranty. and then all your paying for is the extra 2 to 3 yrs. but for ppl that keep their cars longer then 4 or 5 yrs its worth it, especially on a car with so many electronics, especially the nav, bluetooth, etc.
and even if you dont keep your car for that long, a warranty helps when selling the car.

so dont assume you know it all and dont assume others are stupid....
Old 08-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Drunkenmunky23
how is that falling for anything? ppl obviously understand that the car already has a standard warranty. and then all your paying for is the extra 2 to 3 yrs. but for ppl that keep their cars longer then 4 or 5 yrs its worth it, especially on a car with so many electronics, especially the nav, bluetooth, etc.
and even if you dont keep your car for that long, a warranty helps when selling the car.

so dont assume you know it all and dont assume others are stupid....
I don't know all and I never mentioned that anyone was stupid.
You will also be surprised at how many people think that the 7/100 starts at the end of the standard warranty.
I just wished that they would sell the extended warranty for time that it would actually be used.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Senior Moderator

You have a good point, DeMan, you just needed to word it a bit differently. In my experience, though, most people realize that the length of the warranty depends on the initial date of sevice of the car, not when the warranty is purchased. Some don't, as you point out, and now you have reminded them. I believe I did get it right, based on my assumption.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:08 AM
Advanced

I got the 7/100 for 1100 as well. I bought it because i drive a lot of miles and i'll be keeping this car quite a while.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:32 AM
Instructor

Heres another thought i just had. When purchasing my TL and the extended warranty the financer told me that if i DO NOT use the extended warranty at all i can get a full refund at the end of my term. My question is that if the warranty is voided because of some bs and i HAVENT used it yet will i still be assured the refund after the term?
Old 08-04-2006, 08:09 AM
TLove

In my experience, though, most people realize that the length of the warranty depends on the initial date of sevice of the car, not when the warranty is purchased.
huh?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Mofo

Originally Posted by DeMAN

First off...youre wrong

The factory warranty is a LIMITED warranty....
The extended warranty covers alot more things than the factory warranty
So not only are you covered for the FULL 7 years, but more things than are included in the regular factory warranty

See the chart on the bottom of this site... http://www.curryacuracare.com/

Guju - welcome to another fellow desi on the site...
You can cancel your warranty at any time during the 7yrs/100k period with your original dealer-they refund you a prorated amount based on miles/time and I think if youre still within the first 6000 miles on your car, you can go sign up for a new one somewhere else ... Like others have said - you can use that curryacuracare site i linked, or hondaacuraworld.com, or even some dealers sell the warranties on ebay..
I originally paid $2400 too and then when i realized i got ripped - i cancelled it, and i got a new one for $1150 - make sure you get the $0 deductible one
Old 08-04-2006, 10:39 AM
TLove

Originally Posted by maluskills

Guju - welcome to another fellow desi on the site...
welcome to the club.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Intermediate

I have a 05 TL with 16,000 mi and did not get the extended warranty. But now I am thinking about getting the extended warranty. The dealer told me because of my miles I can only get 6yr/84,000 mi extended warranty for$1895. But then he advise me to wait until my standard warranty is almost over then purchase the extended warranty, because then I can get extra 4yr/40,000mi after the standard warranty runs out. Still for the same price $1895. Can this be true?
Old 08-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Mofo

You should definitely be able to cancel with only 1500 miles on it. This is what i'd do if I were you...

1 - call the dealer where you bought the car, and tell them you want to cancel the warranty, when they ask why, say its because you know they overcharged you big time and that you were able to get a much lower price elsewhere.
If they ask how much lower - say $1100 even (it's really $1260 on the curryacuracare.com sit, but see if they'll match the $1100)

2 - if they say you can't cancel, tell them to check the paperwork, you can cancel the extended warranty at any time before the 100k miles is over. They might prorate what they give you back, but with only 1500 miles, they would only take away abt $50, so you should get around $2350 back.

3 - Once you cancel...call up other dealers, tell them you have a brand new TL that you bought from another dealer, but you want to get a warranty from them ...tell them you have a quote of $1200 on teh 7yr/100k $0 deductible, and you want to know if they can match/beat it..if all else fails, get it from curryacuracare.com ..i think if you call, the guy often gives out $100 off promo codes..so it'd be $1160

4 - Make sure you sign up for the new warranty before 6000 miles on your car, prices go up dramatically after that

Good luck, and let us know what happens...
Old 08-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Instructor

DAMN!!!!!! I cant beleave they ripped me off that much. Im gunna do this switch this week. With that 1k i can actually afford the rims i want. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I really appreciate it. Thanks once again. O yeah and i love this website with all the helpful forums.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by bad90
I have a 05 TL with 16,000 mi and did not get the extended warranty. But now I am thinking about getting the extended warranty. The dealer told me because of my miles I can only get 6yr/84,000 mi extended warranty for$1895. But then he advise me to wait until my standard warranty is almost over then purchase the extended warranty, because then I can get extra 4yr/40,000mi after the standard warranty runs out. Still for the same price $1895. Can this be true?
I was told the same thing at Acura of DelRay. They said I might as well wait. They also said that price increases cannot be predicted but that it shouldn't go much over that, if at all.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Mofo

go to www.curryacuracare.com and plug in your info under the prices link and it'll bring up prices based on your current mileage...

Put in a fake email if you dont wanna be contacted..
Old 08-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Instructor

hey everyone. I havent done the switch yet but i read the acura care warranty booklet and inside it says that if the warranty is refunded once, then the same car cannot be warantied once again with the same warranty. is that true?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Mofo

call the number on the curryacuracare.com site and ask them...they will know.

I've done it, so i know its not completely true, but mine was refunded as if I never bought it, not refunded as a prorated amt
Old 08-10-2006, 09:00 PM
The Master Doctor

I believe you can cancel the extended warranty any time within the first 30 days
Old 08-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Instructor

i just cancelled that dealer provided warranty today. OOOO man was that a funny time. The financer was trying to provide me with all these useless products just to keep their warranty. He didnt get the point that he ripped me off and i wanted to cancel. I had to set him straight by yelling out to him that i did not want to keep the warranty. Two other managers came in to make sure we werent fights. LOL. That was funny. But i finally got it cancelled and just bought the warranty of the site. Thanks for all your help and opinions. Saved me alot of money that i now can invest in to get my rims. Thanks once again.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Good job!

That's what this site is for.....to help you out.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:14 AM
4th Gear

My 2004 TL warranty is expired because I have over 65,000 miles on it. I didn't buy extended warranty. The Acura Care, www.currryacuracare.com, say that my car is not qualified due to the miles. Is there any other way I can get the extended warranty from Acura? Or do you have to go to a third party? If it has to be third-party, does anyone know of a reliable one?