3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't know about you but very pleased with my TL today :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:49 PM
I like to whistle in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know about you but very pleased with my TL today :)

My friend and I went out on the road today to test this Aunt's Benz against the TL.
Well he has the car for the day but anywayz...She has one of those $100K SL500 coupes.

Long story short...not impressed at all with the performance...had some nice gadgets though. I still don't see how anyone could come to spending 100K+ and not be able to pull on a 35K Acura TL. I mean if my trunk was emptied i think i would have pulled but we were like dead even. Just thought I would share that.lol.

I figure any of them i see on the road I won't be as intimidated unless it has a AMG badge. I could have sworn they were faster than that though..
Old 03-17-2007, 02:39 PM
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS

It's all the gadgets that are weighing it down. IMHO, After driving the SL500 and SLK, the SLK is one nice little car and one of the most improved Benzos in their lineup recently. But yeah, definitely not worth the price.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
With all their reliability issues MB is not the fabled company that it use to be. I think that they rested on their laurels too much and just put out garbage the last 5 plus years. The premiere European cars still remains BMW followed by Audi.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:02 PM
TL SL ML :)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'm sure my opinion is a little bias being that I have an 05 SL500...but I also have an 07 TL-S...my take is this, the SL500 is more a flashy, luxury roadster rather than a sports car it's meant to be comfy and a convertible. It definately has power but not as much as you'd expect with a 100k car. MB got their shi*t together for 2007 making it with 382hp from 302 which is a pretty good increase. any how...I enjoy driving my TL more than my SL right now (just got the TL this week)...we'll see how long it lasts
Old 03-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Gotta love the TL and all its features.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blazinginder
Well I'm sure my opinion is a little bias being that I have an 05 SL500...but I also have an 07 TL-S...my take is this, the SL500 is more a flashy, luxury roadster rather than a sports car it's meant to be comfy and a convertible. It definately has power but not as much as you'd expect with a 100k car. MB got their shi*t together for 2007 making it with 382hp from 302 which is a pretty good increase. any how...I enjoy driving my TL more than my SL right now (just got the TL this week)...we'll see how long it lasts
WTF your a baller! Sell taht damn thing and get something better! Anyways I kind of find that hard to believe. Never been in an SL500 but I always thought they were pretty fast car, definately faster than TL I thought. I have 05 auto and its fast once its rolling but from the a stop its pretty slow. I got smoke by my friends 150ish Hp civic LOL! (from standstill)
Old 03-17-2007, 11:37 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vww253
WTF your a baller! Sell taht damn thing and get something better! Anyways I kind of find that hard to believe. Never been in an SL500 but I always thought they were pretty fast car, definately faster than TL I thought. I have 05 auto and its fast once its rolling but from the a stop its pretty slow. I got smoke by my friends 150ish Hp civic LOL! (from standstill)
HHHMHMMMMMMMM.................
Old 03-17-2007, 11:44 PM
gimme a 4G !!

I have 05 auto and its fast once its rolling but from the a stop its pretty slow. I got smoke by my friends 150ish Hp civic LOL! (from standstill)
How in the.......?
Not to go off topic here, but I blew an 07 Civic SI out of the water Thursday. Don't know what he specifically added but it was definitely modded.

Another reason that I am "very pleased with my TL today" (yay! I'm back on topic )
Old 03-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dedpheonix
How in the.......?
Not to go off topic here, but I blew an 07 Civic SI out of the water Thursday. Don't know what he specifically added but it was definitely modded.

Another reason that I am "very pleased with my TL today" (yay! I'm back on topic )
Actually his car looks like a piece of sh*t but its pretty fast. He says its a high 13sec car. He has pretty much everything rip from his car except 2 seats. And new engine with about 150hp dunno how much is going to wheels but must be a good amount. Bottom line his car probably weighs less than half what TL weighs. But really TL is pretty slow from standstill isnt it?
Old 03-18-2007, 12:49 AM
gimme a 4G !!

Maybe I got the fluke of the litter when Acura bore my TL, but mine hauls (bearing in mind this is a 4dr Sedan). I'm not looking to rip into any Saleen or Hennessey any time, well ever, but I'm more than pleased with my lil' girl.

And i do think the TL poses a lil' bit of psychological intimidation b/c everyone's racing their civics, so everyone knows the capabilities of them.... how many people have raced against a 3g TL?

Anyway, I'm waaaay off topic now.

So, yeah, the SL500 is a damn nice way to spend way too much money.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:50 PM
I like to whistle in my

lol. yeh. I did a search on Youtube yesterday and saw the same thing. Thought it was pretty funny. But you can definitely tell the difference between the SL500 and the AMG model. They light up the tires pretty fast and sound intimidating.
Nice gadgets but cant get over the price tag. Would rather have an M3 or M5( even though its a different class.)
Old 03-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Banned

Actually his car looks like a piece of sh*t but its pretty fast. He says its a high 13sec car. He has pretty much everything rip from his car except 2 seats. And new engine with about 150hp dunno how much is going to wheels but must be a good amount. Bottom line his car probably weighs less than half what TL weighs. But really TL is pretty slow from standstill isnt it?
I whupped a Chysler CrossFire SRT-6, well barely, the other day. It shows how fast the TL is, the one with 6spd MT that is.

The other day the guy with a late model modded Dodge Neon tried to out-accelerate me. He sure did have a good pick up from stand-still. He was faster, from 0-40 that is, but from 40 to 80 I raped his Modded Neon. He was 3~ 4 car lengths behind me. He then shrugged and backed off. He definitely had some crazy stuff in his engine. I don't know what it was but his was fast. But still, should'n't f#@k with the TL in the first place, LOL.

I tried to find an opportunity to race the Infiniti G35's but they all get scared when they see that scary looking black TL 6MT. HA HA HA HA
Old 03-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Intermediate

Hey I have a question, does the turning off the VSA really make a difference? Also in Tiptronic mode the engine changes gear anyways because it wont let you pass redline but is it bad to put it in tiptronic and floor it and just let the computer do the shifting? Its not any faster than leaving it in drive is it? Oh also Meek32v6, I was lookin at your youtube videos and saw taht crazy burnout you did. How do you do that with an auto?
Old 03-18-2007, 05:29 PM
gimme a 4G !!

Originally Posted by meowCat
The other day the guy with a late model modded Dodge Neon tried to out-accelerate me. He sure did have a good pick up from stand-still. He was faster, from 0-40 that is, but from 40 to 80 I raped his Modded Neon. He was 3~ 4 car lengths behind me. He then shrugged and backed off. He definitely had some crazy stuff in his engine. I don't know what it was but his was fast. But still, should'n't f#@k with the TL in the first place, LOL.
Out of curiosity, was it a SRT neon? ( I know that may be hard to tell when he's 4 car lengths behind you )
Old 03-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Banned

I don't think it was a SRT version... and that thing was pumping some power. If I was driving my Infiniti G20 5spd I would've gotten beaten by him.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:10 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dedpheonix
How in the.......?

Same thing I said before! I enjoy when one of those loud ass Civics roll up on me and there is not traffic for him to dart in and out of...oh yeah! Dat ass is mine! Now, I have a 6MT, and I know I get it rolling faster than an AT - but whatever! No way I'm in a TL and one of those NOS steroid Civics is going to take me out!

And that's the double truth RUTH!!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:17 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by meowCat
I whupped a Chysler CrossFire SRT-6, well barely, the other day. It shows how fast the TL is, the one with 6spd MT that is.

I tried to find an opportunity to race the Infiniti G35's but they all get scared when they see that scary looking black TL 6MT. HA HA HA HA
I tought I taw a puddy tat! Hell to the yes! 6MT just looking for fresh meat! I'm a smooth roller most of the time kitty, but if they roll up on me thinking it's just luxury? Imma leave a pair of Pro-Keds laying in the road! (for all of you that don't know WTF I'm talking about: Pro-Keds are some back in the day tennis shoes whose soles were made from Uniroyal rubber compound)

I especially love putting those weak-ass "wannabe 6 cyl" souped-up 4 cyls in their place - in the rear view!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by darksom1
I tought I taw a puddy tat! Hell to the yes! 6MT just looking for fresh meat! I'm a smooth roller most of the time kitty, but if they roll up on me thinking it's just luxury? Imma leave a pair of Pro-Keds laying in the road! (for all of you that don't know WTF I'm talking about: Pro-Keds are some back in the day tennis shoes whose soles were made from Uniroyal rubber compound)

I especially love putting those weak-ass "wannabe 6 cyl" souped-up 4 cyls in their place - in the rear view!
Unfortunately, people don't wuss out or roll up on me wanting to race when they see my white TL with its smooth, luxurious lines and classy look. I see a lot more of this: than people wanting to do this
Old 03-19-2007, 12:13 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

^ I hear ya!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Hooksta

Hey darksom, my wife said she would take some of the TL's action. She drives a girly 2004 Subaru Forester 4-door station wagon...oh yeah it does happen to be a Turbo. It will smoke the TL to 60 and hang with it up to the quarter mile...but gives up after that. She's embarrassed more than her share of Mustang V-8's over the last couple of years. Even if the Mustang edges her out, they get the job of bragging to their friends how they beat a chick in a 4 cylinder, 4-door station wagon by a fender with their big beefy V8 sport's car.

Oh, and when its wet out...she'll race anything. All wheel drive is the sh*t. You can't make her car spin the tires.

Here's the Car and Driver report on her little ride...
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtest...ster-25xt.html

C/D TEST RESULTS

ACCELERATION (Seconds)
Zero to 30 mph: 1.3
40 mph: 2.6
50 mph: 3.6
60 mph: 5.3
70 mph: 6.9
80 mph: 9.2
90 mph: 11.8
100 mph: 15.0
110 mph: 19.5
120 mph: 26.7
Street start, 5-60 mph: 6.3
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 8.4
50-70 mph: 8.1
Standing 1/4-mile: 13.8 sec @ 97 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 129 mph
Old 03-19-2007, 01:34 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Hooksta
Hey darksom, my wife said she would take some of the TL's action. She drives a girly 2004 Subaru Forester 4-door station wagon...oh yeah it does happen to be a Turbo. It will smoke the TL to 60 and hang with it up to the quarter mile...but gives up after that. She's embarrassed more than her share of Mustang V-8's over the last couple of years. Even if the Mustang edges her out, they get the job of bragging to their friends how they beat a chick in a 4 cylinder, 4-door station wagon by a fender with their big beefy V8 sport's car.

Oh, and when its wet out...she'll race anything. All wheel drive is the sh*t. You can't make her car spin the tires.

C/D TEST RESULTS

ACCELERATION (Seconds)
LOL! I know about those. I usually know what people are playing with when the step next to me. BUt I love a challenge! I have my release down pat so that I don't waste time spinning tires. I used to do that a lot in my 5.0 Mustang, but I been drinking milk Hooksta! So don't sleep on me! As for the wet stuff? Never touch it! The wifey can have that. I will just have to bow out! I ain't tearing sh*t up cuz of my ego! Hahahahaha! I just do it for fun once in a while anyway. A lot of times, I let guys just go. I only really do it when I am in the mood. I like to put my arm up and chill too (that's why I did my door pin mod)! I'm chillin' most of the time...but if the wife catches me on a good day...bring it! LOL! As for the bike...yeah right! I don't waste my gas that much! This thing drinks Premium playa! Hahahaha...
Old 03-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Banned

LOL

Originally Posted by Hooksta

C/D TEST RESULTS

ACCELERATION (Seconds)
dang... That's pretty fast! It does beat the TL(standard TL), even the 6MT ones. The best time for the TL 6MT at 0-60 is blistering 5.8 sec, and the quater mile of 14.2 sec. So that's only .5 sec slower on the 0-60 and .4 sec slower on the quarter mile, lol!

and if you take the TL-S 6MT then it's a different story.... it'll be dead even in the 0-60 and the quarter mile.

But like you said, the TL takes over starting at 100mph. The TL has very smooth power and speeds up gradually, the faster you go. The Subaru cars have very short gear ratios, which explains their extremely quick pickup from stand still, but they have to give up on the high speed. You have to give up something in order to get somethin, lol!!!!