Do I need an alighment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008 | 11:35 AM
Cruisin'

Do I need an alighment?

Hey all, I did a search but couldn't find quite what I was looking for. I have an '05 TL w/ 55K. Over the last month I've noticed that the car seems to wander more on uneven roads. Any bumps or side slopes in the road and it seems to jerk the steering wheel around more than it used to. It was very noticeable on my road trip last weekend, while doing 75 on the highway if I drive in the ruts or cross through them as I switch lanes it wants to go either left or right but not straight. I have to keep a good grip on the wheel because it pulls pretty hard. It also seems more sensitive if I'm on a side sloped highway (steering wheel wants to pull toward the downward side of the slope).

I've had the car for 11K miles so I don't know when it was last aligned, but I don't notice any unusual wear on the tires. Seems to have just started since I never noticed it when I first got the car. Also can't recall hitting any potholes or major bumps.

So, does this sound like an alignment issue, or something more serious?

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2008 | 02:41 PM
Advanced

How are the pressures in the tires? Well, my car got almost 13k miles and it does not track as tight as I like. It has been pulling left consistently since I drove it off the dealer's lot and have taken it to the dealer twice and their answer is that it is the "straightest tracking TL around". I can see pulling right because it is due to the cross slope of the road, but left is a different story. I might have to take it back again.

Go Beavers!
Old 12-04-2008 | 08:31 PM
Racer

Hey bro, my TL was doing the same! I bought mine earlier this year about 42k miles and now has a little over 56k. Since then I've dropped it, and recently driving around during the holidays in NJ, the car was handling pretty horrible. Actually pretty scary on uneven roads and would wiggle pretty bad. I took it for an alignment two days ago, and mos def better! Everything feels much tighter now! I recommend getting it done as soon as possible, I got a 1 year warrenty on mine so I can go back when ever I want.
Old 12-04-2008 | 09:18 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

alignment twice a year. 150 for lifetime at Firestone, 69.99 one-time alignment.
Old 12-04-2008 | 09:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Twice a year?! I've had my last car for 3 years and never did an alignment. Is it really a big deal if it pulls SLIGHTLY to the left?
Old 12-04-2008 | 10:10 PM
zaino'd

^ Your toe could be off, leading to premature tire wear. Get it checked out

^^ I paid $139.99
Old 12-04-2008 | 10:13 PM
Driven to Perfection

Originally Posted by WSU_Coug
It also seems more sensitive if I'm on a side sloped highway (steering wheel wants to pull toward the downward side of the slope).

Since it doesn't consistently pull to one side or the other it doesn't sound like the caster is off. If the caster was off on one or more wheel, the pull would most likely be one direction. The camber might be an issue. if the camber is out, the car might track different. Before you go that route, I would check your tire pressure and get a rotation. A few PSI difference in the rear wheels can cause lots of driveability issues.
Old 12-04-2008 | 10:23 PM
Instructor

Maybe you should find a level straight road, center your steering wheel and see how it tracks. Basing your alignment on uneven roads that are sloped and driving over ruts is "not" how to determine if you need your alignment checked. Different tires track differently on the same car. Remaining tire tread, etc, there are quite a few variables that go into tracking. My Pilots would find the smallest rut on the street and follow it, my Goodyear F1's acted much better. If you are really concerned, get a lifetime alignment deal and just take it in a couple times a year...
Old 12-04-2008 | 11:30 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Toe has nothing to do with pull. Toe controls your steering wheel.

Camber is the top of your wheel tilting inward or outward. If you had one negative and one positive(degrees), the pull will be to the side with the most positive reading.

Caster is the angle of your suspension connected to your wheels(steering knuckle). You should have 2 positive degree readings for caster, and if it's off, the pull will be to the most negative.

Toe is the inward and outward angle from the front of your wheel. Negative would be outward, and positive will be inward. Your steering wheel will be cocked to the most positive degree. When I say your steering wheel, I mean where the steering wheel sits while the car is going straight. For example, if your right wheel pointed right(negative) and your left wheel pointed right(positive), your tires will be pointed to the right while the steering wheel is leveled, but in order to correct the steer, you have to pull the steering wheel to the left. That is where your toe takes you.

Take these questions into consideration before visiting your nearest automotive care center.

1) Is the car pulling?
2) Are your tires wearing unevenly?
3) Are there feathered (rigid) edges?
4) Are your wheels leaning extremely(in any direction)?

Your components can be out of specs and still not pull, just remember that. It will show in the wear in your tires, but the tires isn't where it stops wearing. Parts out of specs can cause wear on other parts as well.

Last edited by Be-in my TL; 12-04-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2008 | 12:06 AM
Instructor

I just have this to add...

GO BEAVS!!!

Old 12-05-2008 | 01:05 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks guys for the input, no noticeable uneven tire wear / cupping / feathering yet. Can't find my tire pressure gauge to check the pressures but I'll check that tomorrow. Hopefully I just need some more air in one or more tires. I guess it really started once the weather starting getting colder around here so that could be another reason to suspect pressure.

To the Beav's fans, that was a bummer about the civil war game - was hoping they would go to the rose bowl. Us cougs will cheer for the beavs over the ducks any day!