3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn Those Silver Center Consul Trims! (Can Anyone Help Me Remove Them?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Advanced

Location: On the banks of a filthy river in east TX ruled by crooked cops, brazen women and pansexual cowboys.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn Those Silver Center Consul Trims! (Can Anyone Help Me Remove Them?)

Evening all.

Title says it all. I've used a butter knife to pop off most of the clips holding the silver trim lining the center consul off. However, the last bit towards the top of the piece (the part of the piece that's next to the navigation system) I can't seem to pull out. I do not want to use too much force and break it, but at the same time I need it off to access the center consul.

Can anyone post advice on how to do this?

I do have the service manual scans (thanks for the link datmrman) but still feel unsure about just how much force to use.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Intermediate

It's always the hardest the first time..... Use force, just be careful to apply it evenly in that area, you don't want to crack the piece.

I'd take your butter knife, wrap it in a decent thickness towel, and try to pry it out from the non-navigation side. Just be careful not to bend the dash piece.

If you happen to bend it, a VERY light heat gun can help form it back out.

Again, just be careful.

Tom
Old 07-15-2006, 09:04 PM
05 TL

Why are you removing them?

I couldnt do it when I was installing my IPOD adapter. So I just reached the plug and plugged it in from the drivers side foot well.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Advanced

Location: On the banks of a filthy river in east TX ruled by crooked cops, brazen women and pansexual cowboys.
Originally Posted by Kracker
Why are you removing them?
I need to run wires through the away from the head unit, through the center consul, to the compartment underneath the armrest. As such, I am removing them to access the "innards" of the center consul to do this.
Originally Posted by fatalglitch
If you happen to bend it, a VERY light heat gun can help form it back out
That's handy. ...seeing as how I have already put dent in the panel right beneath the silver lining Thanks for the tip.

I was able to get the drivers side off without any incident but the passenger side one, that's the one that's giving me a nightmare!. Perhaps if I can find a wider surface on which to apply pressure I can exert more force but do so over a larger surface area.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by J.Edward
I was able to get the drivers side off without any incident but the passenger side one, that's the one that's giving me a nightmare!. Perhaps if I can find a wider surface on which to apply pressure I can exert more force but do so over a larger surface area.

i actually removed them today. When you get towards the top, i used the butter knife and used it to pry the silver trim up just a lil bit, then just grabbed from the curved area (right next to the accesory part) and the area closest to the top clips, and pulled out w/o TOO much force...just do it slowly...
Also, when you removed it, did you hear metal pieces falling off? One of the metal clips actually came off of mine, and i can't find it.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:22 PM
05 TL

I would still look at running it on the side...

Worst case... I think I read somewhere that replacements are like $95 bux. (not for sure)

Best of luck to you.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kracker
I would still look at running it on the side...

Worst case... I think I read somewhere that replacements are like $95 bux. (not for sure)

Best of luck to you.
Thanks.

Dealership quoted me $65 for the replacement part but I'm going to see if I can A) remove the blemishes -and if that fails- B) find it online.

But I guess it's a mute point as I (and Mr. Hammer) finally managed to negotiate the removal of that @#%# piece (without any bending).
Old 07-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
...Also, when you removed it, did you hear metal pieces falling off? One of the metal clips actually came off of mine, and i can't find it.
Funny you say that as I heard the same thing. Just finished pulling both of them off (I'm running between the computer and the garage here) so I have not had time to look for them.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
Also, when you removed it, did you hear metal pieces falling off?
, on both sides! They fell into a black hole, never to return again. :why me:

The trim still holds strong and I won't have to worry about the same clips falling again.