Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Credit Union - On the level??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Credit Union - On the level??

At the recommendation of a coworker I recently contacted my credit union (Georgia TelCo) from a former job and asked about purchasing a TL.

What I've been told is they'll shop around and find the best deal (but dealers aren't budging on the price of the TLs) and they'll also get me a better trade-in than if I trade-in with an Acura dealer.

Is this true? Is it BS? I keep getting the cold chill down my spine that I get when I deal with regular car salesmen.

Feedback or any similar experiences shared would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old 01-20-2004, 09:31 AM
What's a TL?

Re: Credit Union - On the level??

Originally posted by jrmoore
At the recommendation of a coworker I recently contacted my credit union (Georgia TelCo) from a former job and asked about purchasing a TL.

What I've been told is they'll shop around and find the best deal (but dealers aren't budging on the price of the TLs) and they'll also get me a better trade-in than if I trade-in with an Acura dealer.

Is this true? Is it BS? I keep getting the cold chill down my spine that I get when I deal with regular car salesmen.

Feedback or any similar experiences shared would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
My girlfriend used a credit union last time she bought a honda...she actually got all of the trade-in and lease info from the credit union and went back to the dealer to match. The numbers given by the credit union were really good, but, since the dealership would match, she felt better getting it from the dealer.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:44 AM
Advanced

Where do you live that they aren't budging on the price of TL's? I would be skeptical of that. A 6-spd with Nav in stock is tough to negotiate on, but all the rest you should be able to get for around $1000 over invoice, give or take a little. Look for a dealer with a bunch in stock, they will want to move them. If you want Nav, you should still be able to get it at $1000- $1500 over invoice if you order it. At least that is the case here in MA, maybe it is different where you live.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:47 AM
Rum Runner

JR,

Most large credit unions offer "car hunter" services. They very often can negotiate a better deal for you because they deal in bulk. Joe Blow Acura will try to satisfy your credit union if he knows that this one sale could lead to 10 others. My credit union also offers the same service, but I am looking to lease so they can't help me (no $$ in it for them since they don't do leases). They did, however give me the name of the individual that they deal with at the local Acura dealer and told me to tell him that they sent me. I don't know how well that will work, but I will try in the next few months now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel that is my lease.

Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:57 AM
Cruisin'

I'm in Atlanta, and yes -- I want a 6spd with Navi so dealing is going to be tough. I've asked the credit union lady to fax me pricing and specs... I thought I'd post them here and get feedback from the pros as to how good a deal it is. 8-)

Thanks again all. It's nice to have some allies, though anonymous, in the Me vs. Darth Dealer saga.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:14 AM
acurazine sucks

Broker

I am in IT at a credit union in Denver. I believe most credit unions use a 'buying service' which is essentially a car broker that is endorsed by the CU. You are dealing with an independent broker who needs to make money somehow. The typically get a small fee for brokering the car, a piece of the action on 'products' like Credit Life, A&H and gap insurance. Some get a piece of the financing.

My broker couldn't do anything for me on my TL. I ended up going to the dealer and getting the car faster and cheaper.

I'm not sure what they're doing on used car trades. No experience there.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by 2obsessed
Where do you live that they aren't budging on the price of TL's? I would be skeptical of that. A 6-spd with Nav in stock is tough to negotiate on, but all the rest you should be able to get for around $1000 over invoice, give or take a little. Look for a dealer with a bunch in stock, they will want to move them. If you want Nav, you should still be able to get it at $1000- $1500 over invoice if you order it. At least that is the case here in MA, maybe it is different where you live.
No budging here in the Pacific Northwest. I have tried every dealership from Seattle to Portland and if you can get a Navi, you pay MSRP. I'm sure that this will change over the next 6 mos., but who wants to wait 6 mos. to save $1,000?
Old 01-20-2004, 12:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Perhaps an alternate plan of attack could consist of the buyer getting his/her best deal on a TL as if they were paying cash, then finance the amount of the sale through the CU. I'm going to try that route in a few months when my own lease is up as it gives the dealer one less set of numbers to play with.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:11 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by Oswald Vater
Perhaps an alternate plan of attack could consist of the buyer getting his/her best deal on a TL as if they were paying cash, then finance the amount of the sale through the CU. I'm going to try that route in a few months when my own lease is up as it gives the dealer one less set of numbers to play with.
That is exactly what I did. Let them know that you're financing (if you really are) -- they make money on financing and would be more inclined to lower the price if they think they'll make some back during financing.

I ended up obtaining a 2.99% 48 month loan for my car.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:29 PM
TEAM NIGHTHAWK ASSASIN

Hey guys , I'm In the MD , VA , DC area and I can tell you that from calling a buying service myself ( UBS ) these dealers are not budging a spec of a inch on The TL . They said they've being trying to negotiate but dealers want nothing to do with them . . . . . =
Old 01-20-2004, 08:21 PM
Intermediate

Try internet Sales Person. Sent request to 12 dealerships and then used pricing against each other, all over email. Actual dealer face time was less then 30 min and got Blk, Navi, HPT, 6sp for $33900 plus tax, no fees.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
(I ended up obtaining a 2.99% 48 month loan for my car.)

Great rate, Lore. Did the dealer know you were financing off-site and try to beat it? What did they end up selling the car for?
Old 01-21-2004, 01:23 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by Oswald Vater
(I ended up obtaining a 2.99% 48 month loan for my car.)

Great rate, Lore. Did the dealer know you were financing off-site and try to beat it? What did they end up selling the car for?
They knew I was financing through my credit union -- they made no attempt to sway me back to Honda financing, which is fine with me -- I would rather do business with my credit union.

I got the car for $1250 under MSRP with some goodies thrown in (read my signature). Anth/Ebony + Navi 5AT.